CB1000R vs SuperDuke 990 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

CB1000R vs SuperDuke 990

I thought I’d post up a quick review on my back to back ride of a Super Duke 990 (2008) and a CB1000R (I know you guys don’t get the CB1R there, but thought you’d like to know my thoughts between the 2 anyway)

The black SD 990 was demo that the dealership wanted to move on and asked me if I wanted to take it for a spin. As the SD always had my attention as “maybe one day” I thought why not. The SD had MIVV carbon fibre pipes that sounded absolutely awesome, maybe even a touch too loud. First impressions, where “wow, this is high”. The seating was higher than what I was used to or at least it felt high. Power delivery was (to my perception) instantaneous. It felt as if the SD had an on/off switch instead of a throttle. You could see the redline very quick if you wanted to. I have ridden a SV1000 in the past, but this felt much more aggressive, IMO. I took it on my usual test ride tour, 20 minutes high way with heavy and free flowing traffic and then 30 minutes worth of twisties followed by a few minutes of suburban riding. The handling was scalpel like and I felt quite at home and at ease riding through traffic at motorway speeds.
Riding in the hills took some getting used to, although the WP suspension was excellent, I was still coming to grips with the seat height and the engine character of this V-Twin. This bike is a load of fun, but required quite a lot of focus. After a while the loud droning of the exhaust became a bit tiring or noticeable. I really started to enjoy the bike after about 90 minutes and thought this could be a real possibility as purely a weekend, 1up bike (from my point of view).

I wanted to refresh my memory of what the CB1R was like that I test rode more than a year ago, and jumped on one immediately after. This bike has always been on my “list” and would have been in my stable ages ago if I could somehow gel or marry up the price tag to what the bike actually is (yes, this includes the usual Honda premium). I jumped on the CB1R and the seating position just felt right, compared to the SD. Loads of mid range torque and power, but there was a more (obviously being an IL4) controlled power delivery, or a bridge between all and nothing, as opposed to the SD. I found that due to all of the above I could do my usual test ride twisty route much faster and relaxed as what I did on the SD, so subsequently had more fun on the CB1R. This obviously reflects me being more comfortable and experienced with IL4’s. One thing that was lacking in comparison to the SD, was the softer (I think it’s) Sachs suspension on the CB1R. Saying that, it wasn’t tweaked up and could more than likely be improved on. I did also notice, that it seemed to be revving higher at the same motorway speeds in top gear than the 919, which could be irritating on longer motorway rides.

So there you have it, just a quick rundown of my thoughts between these 2 bikes. This obviously reflects my personal riding style and capabilities. I guess the CB1R is a more refined easier to live with package, the girl you’d take to meet your parents but still loads-of-fun type, the SD being like the kind of girl that would have you happily snort fairy dust off certain parts of her anatomy, you know, the fun-but-bsc type.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 PM
lusting over something...

Cool review! I've always liked both bikes...

post #3 of 19 Old 07-01-2010, 03:43 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

but the sd says DUKE. and that means presence

post #4 of 19 Old 07-02-2010, 02:07 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

They're a shock aren't they!?

The KTM is no doubt, not a Japaneese IL4.

The on/off you experenced could have been from a throttle that had a bit of slack in it. That engine has a bunch of torque and too much play in the cables makes for a jerky ride. The day after I got my bike I carefully took all the play out. My Super Duke is as smooth as any FI bike.

After my first ride, I got out the owners manual. I re-set the suspention per KTM's recommendations. They not only give you a really good suspention, they tell you how to adjust it. I also adjusted the air in the tires, which were over inflated. BIG improvement.

SDs are tall and thin. However that's what makes them comfortable. Lots of leg room. I'm 5'10". I can flat foot my bike, with a slight bend at the knees.

They do take a bit of getting used to. But I think I'm as fast on it as any other bike I've owned. I have a lot of confidence while on it. You just know it's going to stay put in the corners. They have a rep as being a bad ass hooligan, but they're really easy to ride. They make decent power, probably 10% more that a nicely modded 919. Great suspention, by my standards. Easiest bike in the world to get a knee down on, if you're into that sort of thing.

A lot of guys go on about how this bike sounds or how the other bike sounds, but to me it's all just noise I have to put up with. I wear ear plugs all the time whiile riding.

post #5 of 19 Old 07-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Optio

V twins suck! Sorry, but they do.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #6 of 19 Old 07-02-2010, 05:43 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring919 View Post
V twins suck! Sorry, but they do.
Coming form the guy sporting his head and knee across a double yellow...

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #7 of 19 Old 07-02-2010, 06:00 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Wow, tell me how you really feel.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #8 of 19 Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I'm glad there are people that they think they suck (I'll leave out the exclamation point). Keeps the prices low for open minded people.

Before I bought, was talking to LDH at Dan Kyle's about something elce unrelated. I switched the subject to Super Dukes. I'd rather he'd say, because it'd be more accurate if he told the story, but he got the Rock Star Treatment at some track somewhere. He didn't particularly care for the SD. Maybe he'll weigh in. I think a lot of LDH, but this time I went against his opinion. LOL. Glad I did.

IMHO, for a streetbike in the US, there is nothing better right now.

post #9 of 19 Old 07-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Aquilifer

of course, they're about 2X the $ of a 919, and only one of the two bikes has known, impeccable reliability long term...

but they're nice, sure !

no bikes suck. the alternative is walking, or god forbid, driving a CAR !

post #10 of 19 Old 07-02-2010, 02:24 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I paid $400 LESS for my used SD, 4500 miles, no scratches with CF FMF exhaust and remapped ECU than I did my new 919. Both prices OTD. If you figure all the money that I had in mods that I did to the 919, the SD was considerably cheaper.

I did have a minor, aggrevating wiring problem with the KTM. Over the winter, the dealer picked it up at my house. They replaced the main wiring harness under warranty, and my sister picked up the bike for me. No cost to me. OK, I gave my sister some gas money. No down time.

My 919 had a rear wheel bearing go bad that I replaced for about $50. Now the 919 had a lot more miles on it at the time, but so far, I've spent more on repair costs on the Honda.

No clutch cable to break. The KTM has a Magura hydro clutch.

I don't know that I've ever ridden anything that would make me laugh out loud in my helmet like the 990 does.

post #11 of 19 Old 07-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Aquilifer

sniper, apples and oranges man ! i've owned dirt KTMs, i have nothing against them. i like the duke, super, rc8 and R, whatever. all would be welcome in my garage.

but used vs new? come on man !

the super dukes are just under 14k (13,899 i believe?) , some NEW 919s still out there available for about 7k. your wheel bearing was probably overtightened in the past, or maybe cleaned with grease-eating chemicals repeatedly vs. a recall of a bad design.

hydraulic clutches have more parts and MORE complexity to go wrong vs cable, not less.

the laughter in your helmet is all you need to justify your purchase, but i don't think too many people will ever confuse ktm reliability with honda. how about parts prices?

i'd own either, but you can't compare those two bikes.

that having been said, i feel the KTM is a much better bike.

post #12 of 19 Old 07-02-2010, 08:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Your probables and maybes vs reality.

I did not pull any punches. I made it clear that the 919 was new and the 990 was used. After I rode the 919 home, it was used also.

I would have to assume that a Brembo caliper is more expensive than a Nissan. A Marchesini is going to be more than a Honda wheel. A Neken handle bar is going to be more than the chrome pipe Honda uses.

If you've been to any big enduro, you've seen the sea of Orange. KTM knows very well that they can't turn out junk. The competition is too fierce. I may have problems with it in the future. But I've had problems with my Hondas also.

I assume that a big reason that we don't get the Honda CB1KR is because of the monetary exchange rate. I've heard that Honda lost money bringing the Itialian built 600 Hornet into the States. I'd try a 600 Hornet, but you guys can have that 480 pound CB1K.

post #13 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 06:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

OK, another example. I bought a used 07 600RR in October of 07.

I paid the same price for the used 07 600RR that I did for the Super Duke. The SD had 1000 more miles on it, has a bigger engine and was in a little better shape. The 6 was current year, the SD, was a year old.

That's the best I can do as far as used bike comparos....

post #14 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 12:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Spykes in Lafayette have 2 unused 08s. I think they're wanting $8995. They're closed so I can't confirm the price. But I remember being verysurprised at the #.

post #15 of 19 Old 07-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Optio

Hey, I'm on the yellow line not over it. Much.

Fo coarse my hate for v-twins is just my opinion. But I don't like them. I have a very open mind. I've ridin' several and I didn't care for any of them. They shake like a paint mixer below 4000 revs. Above that they have great midrange and then fall on their faces soon after. the only smooth v-twin I rode was suzuki 650s but they are so slow I couldn't see owning one. I've tried the 990 KTM, a few 1000cc ducs. Its easy to have smooht power delivery when the power is low. Anything that needs a 200cc advantage to be competative against L4 engines just seems pointless to me. Their narrow, I'll give a v-twin that. But for me. I'm an inline guy. Parallel twins are fine. I like the GS800 engine.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #16 of 19 Old 08-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Tirone

I was hoping that my first post on this forum would be in a less hostile thread.

Sniper

Mate you do not have to deffend your actions.

Price is almost irrelavant when it comes to what one preffers and enjoys.

If you preffer the Super duke over 919 and your budget does not strech to a brand new one than purchase a sensible second hand one.

KTM's reputation for building some of the best dirt bikes can not be questioned here. Although not road bikes but bikes that spend there time 20 feet in the air have a level of quality which can not be cheated,

I have owned many hondas. Although great bikes they are not with out there flaws.

I have always preffered v twins over inline 4. i enjoy the low down torque the ease at which they come out of corners.

Although my point is that one should not have to deffend there choices like Sniper is made to.

I have owned my own motorcycles shop for 9 years now.

I can tell you from experience that alot of what people say here is utter shit.
But I respect others and there opinions and in so have the respect not to attack them especiall on matters of opinion.

post #17 of 19 Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring919 View Post
Hey, I'm on the yellow line not over it. Much.

They shake like a paint mixer below 4000 revs. Above that they have great midrange and then fall on their faces soon after. the only smooth v-twin I rode was suzuki 650s but they are so slow I couldn't see owning one.
You've never ridden an Aprilia RSVR then.

post #18 of 19 Old 08-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I Love all MC's they are far superior than cars, cheaper to buy, maintain, and just easier on the Petrol...

V Twins, V4's, IL4's it just does not matter to me, I can and will ride anything.

This is AMERICA and until they tell us what to ride, you have a choice, so go with what you want, and what you can afford while still putting beans on the table for the family not to go hungry.

Nothing against the others on here from outside the US, I lived 16 years outside the US, I have seen a many of different countries, the most memorable ride was out of Townsville on a Wideglide with 18" apes at 130Kms everywhere we went!

Dodging cows and Kangaroos wish I had a Video camera.

Again that you ride is more important than what you ride....... but everything is open to discussion..........

I love my 919!

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #19 of 19 Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I like Bucky as well as everyone elce here.

I was correcting wrong info. I wasn't really getting hostile. I can. But I usually walk away first.

Alot of people are stuck in the "Honda box". I like em all. I buy the configuration I want, not which brand I need. KTM Super Duke is available. The Honda isn't. Makes for an easy decision. Bought my SD on Oct 30 last year. 4500 miles on it. Aug 2, I have 9300 miles on it. Spent $200 to replace a warped Brembo rotor. Other than that, gas and oil.

My next bike is likely a 599, cheap and old school. Then, eventually (a year or 2) a Street Triple. After that I don't know. But is has to be light and handle well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode