CB 919 Issues - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 08-17-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Question CB 919 Issues

Hello Twisters!

I am looking at purchasing a 2002 CB 919. The owner states that the only issue with the bike is that after it warms up it leaks fuel from what appears to be the air box. Does anyone know if this is an easy fix? What causes the issue and how much will it cost me to fix. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-18-2015, 01:17 AM
Left of Centre

Never heard of it before.

If it genuinely is fuel, that's a biggie...and I'd look for another example of a 919, rather than take on an issue like that.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-18-2015, 01:29 AM
Pilus Posterior

That's a bit tough. "out of the air box" could be a leak that starts at the tank or an injector that's leaking. I don't think it at all common. If you can, look at the area near the fuel pump and see if it starts from there.

Given that it happens when it warms up, could mean that it takes that long to get from the start to where you see it.

I'd suggest the odds are that it's an 'O' ring or some kind of seal that shouldn't be expensive to fix.

Chasing it down can be hard, because it could be a spray from some point you can't see.

I'm pretty sure you can lift the tank a bit and have the bike run, that's probably the best solution. Make sure you have something handy in case you start a fire.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-18-2015, 06:29 AM
Tirone

Hopefully you are getting this bike cheap. If they want $4000 for it with a known problem like this, then pass. There are plenty of pristine examples out there that you don't have to buy a pig.

I bought my 919 from a friend for $1200. Ran great, but it had been laid down more times than Pamela Anderson. I put a bit over $1000 into it and now it is very nice. Thanks in no small part to all the guys here on WT that sold, and gave, me parts!!

post #5 of 8 Old 08-18-2015, 06:44 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

most likely one of two things:
1. if it is fuel, FPS (fuel pressure regulator) is bad, pretty common issue
2. If it's oil, engine is overfilled with oil

look at the clear plastic collector hose at the airbox, oil or fuel.......

post #6 of 8 Old 08-18-2015, 08:16 AM
just send it.

Garage
My guess is the Fuel Pressure Regulator... those not very mechanical think that whole plastic assembly above the motor is the air box.

Look at the chain. It's a good indicator on how the bike as a whole was maintained. If it's grimy, rusty and out of adjustment, then the PO probably rode it hard, put it away wet, and never maintained it.

[This space for rent]
post #7 of 8 Old 08-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I agree that if it is fuel then most likely is the FPR but the bike would also run horribly. This isn't costly and is something you can fix yourself. I just looked on Partzilla the FPR is around $60.
Another possibility is that the fuel tank vent line is missing or disconnected. And maybe the filler cap seal is cracked or damaged causing a leak - down where the vent line is supposed to be. This situation could be dangerous IMO.
I wouldn't buy the bike w/o knowing exactly what the issue is.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-19-2015, 09:09 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I'd use the fuel leak as a negotiating point on the price. I wouldn't ride the bike till I got it figured out, either... Most likely its a disconnected hose under the tank. Even if that's not it, it should be fairly easy to find where its coming from. If the bike is otherwise OK, and you can get a price you can live with, I wouldn't let this kill the deal. Ymmv, of course. ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode