Can't find my mojo. First trip back to twistys - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 07-14-2008, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Dragon Slayer

Can't find my mojo. First trip back to twistys

My first trip to the twistys after a 2 year post crash exile. I have found that big sweepers do not faze me. When things get tighter I loose my rhythm and or nerve. Not sure how to kick the phobia short of track days. I doubt forcing the issue on the street will help much. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-14-2008, 09:25 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

buy sticky tires

post #3 of 14 Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Track days will certainly help.

I also have found through the years when I can't get it right I"m usually trying too hard and forgetting some of the basics.
Get your entry speed right. No brakes into nor out of the corners.
Set your line. I'm a late apex guy.
Look through the turn.
Countersteer.
Neutral throttle until apex and then drive it out.

Consciously thinking about them one at a time until you can put them together without thought helps me. I'd leave for a ride and start with the first one and do that all day till I had it, then move onto the next one. After awhile they all come together and you're flowing again.

If you've got somebody you're comfortable with leading you through some twisties at a pace that would probably be a big help also. If they can lead you at a speed that is comfortable without getting the bighead and trying to prove they can lose you then you can concentrate on things further down the list a little easier. Takes some of the tension off trying to get the entry speed, line, etc. Just don't target fixate on them. Make sure you are looking for your own line thru.

Good luck.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 14 Old 07-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Optio

Garage
I had the same problem after my crash last year. I found that the only thing that really helped me lots of seat time. I started out easy and slowly started pushing myself more and more in the corners. This really helped with my confidence and now have almost no chicken strips left. I have also noticed that I am way smoother in and out of the corners and am able to pick better lines than I did before the crash. Just take your time and it will all come back to you.

post #5 of 14 Old 07-14-2008, 10:20 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quality time in the saddle. I was back on another bike within two months of my wreck last year. I was veeeery tentative in tight corners, especially downhill. My heart would literally jump into my throat, me thinking I was going to screw up again. I had a lot of encourgement from a couple of forum members here, and I started to really concentrate on what I was doing on the bike, throttle, braking, body position, especially in corners, not just flying up the road like I used to. I practice something every time I go on a ride. I think forcing myself to look well ahead in the corners has helped the most, instead of two feet in front of my bike. I know, sandbox, slows things down, it's just one of the things I needed to learn.

When I noticed myself slowly getting better at all the little individual things you have to do when riding a motorcycle, my confidence started coming back.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #6 of 14 Old 07-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
My first trip to the twistys after a 2 year post crash exile. I have found that big sweepers do not faze me. When things get tighter I loose my rhythm and or nerve. Not sure how to kick the phobia short of track days. I doubt forcing the issue on the street will help much. Any thoughts?
I think a lot of us go through similar experiences... Here's mine...
This happened a few years ago...

It was hot,, a mid summer melting hot day here... A friend phones up and asks to go for a ride. I had just got home from work and was not really in the mood but I agreed to. I put on all the gear and began to melt straight away. How do I get out of this..??? Too late, I said I would turn up... Turned up at his house wishing I was elsewhere, like the South Pole... Ahh what, you haven't got any gas in the tank... That means I'll have to wait even more while you fill up. Every second counted from now on as I was truly reaching meltdown.

At last, out of town, ahhh airflow at last.. We are moving but I am still way too hot to enjoy this... Ahh, a few twisties to liven things up a bit, things are getting better at last... Geeeez man, I cocked that lot up. I just can't concentrate. I am all over the road. Calm down. Ok, here's a long straight. I am going to catch up to my friend who is way up in the future by now. Be careful there's a sharp bend at the end of this straight. Careful now... Whoooaaahhh.!!! I ran a little wide, right onto the centreline...

Muther^%$%,,.. A four wheel drive decided to cut that same corner from the oppsite direction and was right on collision coarse with me. My God I can't get out of this one, I am toast...

At this point with my speed and his oncoming speed, I truly knew I was going to the big bike track in the sky - Honeslty, I "Knew It"...

I closed my eyes and leaned as far as I could but it was just too late...

Those headlights..!!!

Whattt...!!!

I didn't feel the pain, as a matter of fact, I din't know what just transpired. I am still here... I was no longer overheating though,, more like in an ice cold sweat.. I looked in my mirror and saw the four wheel drive quickly disappearing around the bend almost sideways...

I am running on auto pilot now... Just letting nature take its course. I just can't get my head around what just happened,, or didn't happen. I am shaking like a leaf in the breeze,, wide awake and have never been more focussed on the road now.. My friend pulls over a bit down the road and asks me what the hell was all the dust and sh*t flying in the air back there. I simply answered "I dunno", and took off. That was the nearest I have been to being "in shock" at that point in time...

I got home and just sat down and contemplated my navel. I tried for months to get my head around it and get that vision of those great big headlights out of my mind,, but they are still there, even right now...

I avoided many rides with my friends and brother, until I gained some self confidence and finally realized that what happened, simply happened...

I now ride with the view in mind that if it's my time, there's nothing I can do about it and I try not to let that incident sway me too much...

I DON'T however, forget it..!!!

post #7 of 14 Old 07-15-2008, 12:41 AM

It's hard getting over an accident. I had my first big one in April. I was honestly scared ****less on the way home with the replacement bike... thinking about all the people I know who are dead/might as well be dead from motorcycle accidents. I took it to heart, tried to forget about it, and 3 months later I ride with a level of skill that I thought I would never have short of training with Rossi.

I still get freaked out occasionally. Last weekend, I was knee down into a turn that I wasn't real familiar with, and it got tighter on me with my peg already grinding. I had to grab some front brake to bleed some speed, which is a little freaky at those speeds.

Ride how you want to ride. Do what feels comfortable to you. The most fun you can possibly have is riding the way that feels right. If you want to push the envelope, do it. But you already know what happens when you do that. You just have to be willing to face the consequences of it.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

The thing that helps me most
- Ride at your own pace -
If the crew your with takes off, let them go. Its totally not worth pushing it and messing up your bike or you to keep up. Once upon a time I was pretty fast, then I got urt, now , I dont ride anywhere as fast as I used to, but, I have as much fun and dont continually fear for my life.

post #9 of 14 Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Tesserarius

If your born to hang, you ain't gonna drown!

post #10 of 14 Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

i have to tell you that when the music is playing in the helmet i ride much cleaner than when i am talking/analyzing myself thru every movement.

post #11 of 14 Old 07-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Franklin McGillacutty

Heck you don't have to crash. I was making a left leaned a little to far to fast my rear tire started to slide hit my peg Been a little gun shy ever since.

post #12 of 14 Old 07-15-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Dragon Slayer

Thanks all. I won't give up, just have to take it slow. Won't be doing any group rides for a while till I get my head straight, but I can still get some miles in on my own and at my own pace.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
Thanks all. I won't give up, just have to take it slow. Won't be doing any group rides for a while till I get my head straight, but I can still get some miles in on my own and at my own pace.
You ever read "The Pace."? Nice read.

http://www.pashnittours.com/thepace.html

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #14 of 14 Old 07-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
You ever read "The Pace."? Nice read.

http://www.pashnittours.com/thepace.html

Excellent! Thanks Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode