Can you bump start a 919 or any fuel injected bike? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Can you bump start a 919 or any fuel injected bike?

Wondering,

Is it possible to bump start/push start a 919 or any bike thats fuel injected?

I know it can be easily done on a bike with a carb....i've done it.

A fuel injected bike has to turn over a little longer so the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) can read and send a message to the computer telling it when to fire the injector/plug based on the location of the crankshaft.

Does this mean a fuel injected bike with a dead battery cant be bump started? I'm assuming it needs to have some power going into it in order to power up the computer/fuel pump/etc....

Any thoughts? I'm more curious than anything. Anyone here try it before? Maybe i'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanke1 View Post
Wondering,

Is it possible to bump start/push start a 919 or any bike thats fuel injected?

I know it can be easily done on a bike with a carb....i've done it.

A fuel injected bike has to turn over a little longer so the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) can read and send a message to the computer telling it when to fire the injector/plug based on the location of the crankshaft.

Does this mean a fuel injected bike with a dead battery cant be bump started? I'm assuming it needs to have some power going into it in order to power up the computer/fuel pump/etc....

Any thoughts? I'm more curious than anything. Anyone here try it before? Maybe i'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks!
they make fuel injected dirbikes you kick start so yes you can pop start the 919 no prob... put it in like 3rd or 4th get it goin like 5mph and pop the clutch.

post #3 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Cornicen

had the battery go on me once and it push started in 1st just fine.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I've never had to do it (yet) but from what I've read here it's not a problem, easier if you use a higher gear as mentioned in the previous post.

post #5 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Aquilifer

When I bought mine used, the guy hadn't started it in over a year.
We bumped it in 1st and it started first bump.

post #6 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Didn't do it to a 919, but my friend Josh's 2006 ZX6R left him with a dead battery which push started just fine. which is great because now i can give him guff over the superiority of Honda batteries, (even tho they're probably the same thing)

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #7 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thanks for the responses....great to know incase my battery dies.

Wondering, how do the injectors fire if there isnt any electricity in the circuit?

The 919 is my first injected bike.

post #8 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 09:04 PM
yzarc mi os

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanke1 View Post
Thanks for the responses....great to know incase my battery dies.

Wondering, how do the injectors fire if there isnt any electricity in the circuit?

The 919 is my first injected bike.
Just like in a car that's fuel injected there is an altenator that will make current once it is spinning and the ignition is on. I had to do it befor because I left the keys in the on position I n3ever take them out of the bike and my garage lights were on so I forgot to turn it of.

we Did it to my friends 06 crf once it sat for a over a year with out enough juice to crank it took more but it popped.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Discen

If you let it go completely dead sometimes it will run like crap cutting in and out for the first 10-15 seconds due to lack of power to run the plugs and injectors and head light and everything. . . but anyway, I always bump in second or first, just slam down on the seat with your butt when you let the clutch out to get the initial turn.

post #10 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 10:33 PM
yzarc mi os

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoso View Post
If you let it go completely dead sometimes it will run like crap cutting in and out for the first 10-15 seconds due to lack of power to run the plugs and injectors and head light and everything. . . but anyway, I always bump in second or first, just slam down on the seat with your butt when you let the clutch out to get the initial turn.
Basically how I do it gets squirley on my gravel though that's for sure.

ditto on the rough running for a few seconds.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #11 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Le So Cal Troll

yes its possible to bump it in 1st or second as the inline 4s are very easy to turn over.... but theres no way your gonna bump start a vtwin in 1st or second.

post #12 of 19 Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
just slam down on the seat with your butt when you let the clutch out to get the initial turn.
Old School. The 'jump' onto the seat was the way I was taught 30 years ago.

I was thinking about it a while back -IMO it is absolutely pointless - the impact on the seat will have zero impact on the engine turning over in a bump start as it is the motion of the rear wheel turning over the engine.

Anyway - yes you can bump start a 919 - done it myself. Use second or third - the risk of using 1st is the engine firing up and taking off in a hurry!

post #13 of 19 Old 07-04-2010, 03:52 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Old School. The 'jump' onto the seat was the way I was taught 30 years ago.

I was thinking about it a while back -IMO it is absolutely pointless - the impact on the seat will have zero impact on the engine turning over in a bump start as it is the motion of the rear wheel turning over the engine.

Anyway - yes you can bump start a 919 - done it myself. Use second or third - the risk of using 1st is the engine firing up and taking off in a hurry!
The reason you "jump" on the seat is to compress the rear suspension. It helps keep the rear from locking up and sliding when the clutch is abruptly released. The jump and the clutch release should happen at the same time. It's especially helpful if you're headed downhill since most of the weight is on the front wheel.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #14 of 19 Old 07-04-2010, 06:09 AM
h8tenhogs

get to tired doing it and your bound to drop the thing.it gets heavy after a while my battery went bad one winter ..no i didnt drop it but i came close

post #15 of 19 Old 07-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
The reason you "jump" on the seat is to compress the rear suspension. It helps keep the rear from locking up and sliding when the clutch is abruptly released. The jump and the clutch release should happen at the same time. It's especially helpful if you're headed downhill since most of the weight is on the front wheel.
+1, when I crashed at the supermoto track earlier this year my knee managed to break the starter button out of the plastic housing on the handlebar. I had a hell of a time bump starting it because there is hardly any weight on the rear and lots of suspension, the rear wheel would just bounce up off the ground when I popped the clutch.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #16 of 19 Old 07-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
+1, when I crashed at the supermoto track earlier this year my knee managed to break the starter button out of the plastic housing on the handlebar. I had a hell of a time bump starting it because there is hardly any weight on the rear and lots of suspension, the rear wheel would just bounce up off the ground when I popped the clutch.
That is where I get the slamming down on the seat. Figure since it is usually the only way to do to 4-wheelers and dirt bikes it can't hurt on the 919. Also, if it is getting to the end of a long day of riding I usually start making sure my 450r is parked facing a down hill whenever we stop so I don't have to kick start it, and I pop that in first gear with a 13.8:1 compression piston every time, so I don't know why a v-twin would be any different unless it is a big 1300 or 1800 cruiser.

post #17 of 19 Old 07-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
That is where I get the slamming down on the seat. Figure since it is usually the only way to do to 4-wheelers and dirt bikes it can't hurt on the 919. Also, if it is getting to the end of a long day of riding I usually start making sure my 450r is parked facing a down hill whenever we stop so I don't have to kick start it, and I pop that in first gear with a 13.8:1 compression piston every time, so I don't know why a v-twin would be any different unless it is a big 1300 or 1800 cruiser.
believe me... pop starting any bike in a higher gear will be much easier as the rear wheel has more leverage on the motor then down in 1st or second... but dont go too high otherwise you wont spin it over fast nuff.... so like 3rd or 4th gear depending on how many gears ur bike has is usually a good place to start.

post #18 of 19 Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Traitor

Great timing... I left my key in the on position and drained the battery while I went for a swim during some 45 degree (celsius) weather yesterday!

Pop starting works like a charm, ran it up the road and popped the clutch while in first gear and gave her a little gas to keep her going!

2 things to note:
1. The bike is heavy enough that you don't need to jump on it for extra traction at the rear wheel.
2. Stay in shape the bike is heavy enough that it is a real b!tch to run up and down the road in 45 degree weather!

post #19 of 19 Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davreece View Post
Great timing... I left my key in the on position and drained the battery while I went for a swim during some 45 degree (celsius) weather yesterday!

Pop starting works like a charm, ran it up the road and popped the clutch while in first gear and gave her a little gas to keep her going!

2 things to note:
1. The bike is heavy enough that you don't need to jump on it for extra traction at the rear wheel.
2. Stay in shape the bike is heavy enough that it is a real b!tch to run up and down the road in 45 degree weather!
Funny enough, I ran my battery dry yesterday too, but it was really hot and I was feeling lazy while looking and the big, flat parking lot. . . so I just jumped it. Always nice when there are kind people around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode