Can I change max load on a 919? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 09-30-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Can I change max load on a 919?

is there a way through changing fork springs/oil or rear shock that I can increase the max load of a honda 919? I'd like to have the capability of one day using it as a light tourer, but loaded and two-up. But I'd like to know if it can't be done so I can start saving for a bike that HAS a bigger max load.

Alexi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-01-2008, 06:47 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Alexi, I'd first look at the space alotment you have on your 919 before exploring the capacity issue. You may find it to be uncomfortably cramped when fully loaded. You might do cardboard mockups of the actual set up you are thinking of and then add passenger.

I'm gonna say that one of the most important considerations is to not overload the seating section. It is triangular so it has that inherent strength, but it is engineered for lightness and has that damn weight limitation built in.
This area might be subject to gussetting and welding.

just a quick 2 cents

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #3 of 4 Old 10-01-2008, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion bigdaa. Side question . . . what's the best way to avoid overloading the tail section? My original plan is to have a medium sized tankbag, a givi trunk, and if I need more storage with/without a passenger, some soft saddlebags. Also, my passenger would be pretty light. About 125 lbs. Since you obviously know a hell of a lot more than I do about these situations (I'm reading your post saying to myself, "gussetting?!?!?!"), you think that'd be a good plan?

Alexi

post #4 of 4 Old 10-02-2008, 07:08 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalexi View Post
Thanks for the suggestion bigdaa. Side question . . . what's the best way to avoid overloading the tail section? My original plan is to have a medium sized tankbag, a givi trunk, and if I need more storage with/without a passenger, some soft saddlebags. Also, my passenger would be pretty light. About 125 lbs. Since you obviously know a hell of a lot more than I do about these situations (I'm reading your post saying to myself, "gussetting?!?!?!"), you think that'd be a good plan?

Alexi

Well, unless you have the connections to a fabricator and a welding guy, gusseting will be out of the picture here. As far as overloading: you can alleviate some of the load by placing it on the gas tank. strapping it such that it is little trouble to remove is very important. Some of the higher volume stuff can go up there. Stuff that won't jab you while your body surrounds it and arms reach over it. Look to setting yourself up with a quick release latch system that anchors below the tank and protrudes out from below it enough to make the connections, but not enough to be a bother when the tank is not loaded.
You know that if you travel in cooler months, this setup will just cozy your chest up real nice. Keeps the man parts nice and toasty too. Summer? well, could get uncomfortable.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode