Caliper swapin... - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,839
Rep Power: 1
 
Caliper swapin...

Any body wanna do some caliper swapin? I have a good set (3) of black and i want gold. Mine are in excellent working/cosmetic shape with about 19k calipers only no pads.

brian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 03:49 PM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Mine probably won't fit


LDH is offline  
post #3 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
Lean that bike over any further, and you'll be on the RIM!

Blackheart is offline  
post #4 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,839
Rep Power: 1
 
too damn shiny anyway....

brian is offline  
post #5 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Lean that bike over any further, and you'll be on the RIM!
Not even close, but that 1246A tire is extremely difficult to scrub edge to edge due to the very triangular profile. At the same time it is almost untuckable... I mean if you wash the front using that tire then you did something REALLY stupid out there and deserve to crash

I've done more on my 919 with street tires

LDH is offline  
post #6 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 PM
`
 
zaq123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: here n' there
Posts: 3,842
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
Mine probably won't fit

I'll make them fit, send them my way as well as that radial master.

show-off

zaq123 is offline  
post #7 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,839
Rep Power: 1
 
Man I try and try i ride and ride, But i can't seem to get the front strips that lean. I get down pretty good, never had an issue scrubin down the tires on my gsx-r's. I think I trusted my gxs-r's in the corners more, thats the only thing I miss about super sports how they felt in the twisties.

Plus my suspension is just on not adjusted by any means.

brian is offline  
post #8 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
I took the "feelers" off of the pegs, because it hurts my brain to hear the scraping, and it instinctively makes me stiffen up (very bad, I know) but, I've never ridden on a track, and I don't trust my abilities on public roads to scrub to the edges like that. I'm impressed!

Blackheart is offline  
post #9 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
I took the "feelers" off of the pegs, because it hurts my brain to hear the scraping, and it instinctively makes me stiffen up (very bad, I know) but, I've never ridden on a track, and I don't trust my abilities on public roads to scrub to the edges like that. I'm impressed!

Don't be... I'm a total phucktard when it comes to riding on the road which is why I no longer own a streetbike larger than 250cc's

I simply cannot act right

Took my feelers off too and it still didn't stop



Do a trackday bro and you will be released and relieved!!! I swear you will learn more in 1 day on the track than you will learn in 10 years of street riding.

LDH is offline  
post #10 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
I'll take your advice. They do offer track days nearby...it's time I do it.

Blackheart is offline  
post #11 of 37 Old 08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,490
Rep Power: 1
 
If you can use more brakes than the Tokico's on my 07 600RR, you're a much better rider than I. (no doubt)

I had some sack-o-shit in a little red S10 pull out in front ot me one time. 2 finger stoppie, one of my first. I had the ass end of the 600 a foot in the air, I swear. However my pal sait it was more like 4 inches

Sniper is offline  
post #12 of 37 Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

You would be amazed at what the really high end braking systems are capable of.

The Brembo 4 pad mono-bloc's with narrow band rotors are nothing short from the hand of God reaching down grabbing your bike and saying "whoa" (if you believe in such things ) They provide so much initial bite & are so easy to control with so much power that you have an entirely new level of precision at your fingertips literally. Unfortunately while I enjoyed my time testing & developing this bike I cannot personally afford $6000+ worth of brakes even if I can justify it


LDH is offline  
post #13 of 37 Old 08-10-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,839
Rep Power: 1
 
Looks serious...

brian is offline  
post #14 of 37 Old 08-11-2010, 01:29 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,490
Rep Power: 1
 
Mike, when the Brembo pads wear out on my Super Duke, what would you replace them with?

How common is it for Brembo street spec rotors to warp?

Sniper is offline  
post #15 of 37 Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Mike, when the Brembo pads wear out on my Super Duke, what would you replace them with?

How common is it for Brembo street spec rotors to warp?
Really it would depend on what is available for your specific model... I have taken a big interest in Carbone Lorraine pads lately as I started using them 2 seasons ago and they work very well and they are CHEAP! I've converted a lot of my trackday & racer pals to them most of them were switching from the Uber expensive Vesrah's or the ultra crappy Galfer and so far not one person has complained about the CL's which is great because they are not the kind of guys to bite their tongue if I sold them something that didn't work properly...

When you say Brembo Street Spec are you talking about OEM fitment?

LDH is offline  
post #16 of 37 Old 08-11-2010, 08:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,490
Rep Power: 1
 
Thanks for the headds up on pads, I'll give you a call whan the Brembo pads finally give up the ghost. They're wearing well, but I have 10K miles on the SD. Nothing lasts forever.

The previous owner had the bike knocked over on the right side. New parts got it back to new. I didn't notice any pulsing until about a month ago.

The right front rotor on the SD warped. .020 out of true. Never had that happen to me before. Everything ship shape. Nothing dragging. It's a dry bike, I never ride in the rain. I balst em out with the garden hose occationally. Just one of those things perhaps? The shop I got the bike from, sold me a rotor at cost because the bike is now out of warranty.

Sniper is offline  
post #17 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Gets censored
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,839
Rep Power: 1
 
Cool, LDH got to let his nuts hang and sniper got some heads up on pads.

Anyone wanna trade calipers lol?

brian is offline  
post #18 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

No

LDH is offline  
post #19 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2


LDH is offline  
post #20 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,839
Rep Power: 1
 
Got it, I'll be in the corner...

brian is offline  
post #21 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 PM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Look around for a set of RC51 calipers and Master Cylinder. Best non-radial production brakes I have ever used in fact I prefer them over most of the radial mount OEM calipers I have used

LDH is offline  
post #22 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,839
Rep Power: 1
 
Hmmm I've heard of the rc51 brakes. Will they bolt right on (f4 forks) and can I use the exsiting rotors?

Definitly something to think on thanks.

brian is offline  
post #23 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 02:56 PM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I don't know, but I bet they will... Most Honda's use a 12.5mm offset on the rotors.

Ironically I bolted up a set of RC51 rotors to my stock 919 forks & could never get rid of some excessive (to me) parasitic drag which was causing the rotors to get way too hot for my liking.

Sometime later I had a couple other owners tell me they had successfully made the RC51 caliper transplant by using the RC51 Master Cylinder along with the calipers. I never tried it again, but have no reason to doubt the accuracy of their info.

LDH is offline  
post #24 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 PM
`
 
zaq123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: here n' there
Posts: 3,842
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Hmmm I've heard of the rc51 brakes. Will they bolt right on (f4 forks) and can I use the exsiting rotors?

Definitly something to think on thanks.
yes the will fit right in. Unfortunately rc51 brakes are not complete without 320mm rotors. 919's are 296mm.

Like someone said before, get ss lines and good pads, better return for your $$.
If you want to take it a step further and in the right direction: work on your front suspension - it will greatly improve your braking. You brakes can be the best in the world but nothing affects braking like bike's soft suspension that allows 400lbs bike+180lbs rider to transfer most of its weight on the front wheel.

zaq123 is offline  
post #25 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,839
Rep Power: 1
 
Hmmmm, So calipers master and rotors. I may just get some gold 9er calipers and do something with the springs up front. but I got hte stocker out back arrrrrgh the limitation of $$$.

brian is offline  
post #26 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 01:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,490
Rep Power: 1
 
Just find a nice used Super Duke. No mods necessary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cans 006.jpg (102.7 KB, 3 views)

Sniper is offline  
post #27 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 AM
`
 
zaq123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: here n' there
Posts: 3,842
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Hmmmm, So calipers master and rotors. I may just get some gold 9er calipers and do something with the springs up front. but I got hte stocker out back arrrrrgh the limitation of $$$.
if you are 180-200lbs, don't worry about the back yet. Yes shock is a crap but spring is good enough to support you and your bike

zaq123 is offline  
post #28 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 09:08 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
yes the will fit right in. Unfortunately rc51 brakes are not complete without 320mm rotors. 919's are 296mm.

Like someone said before, get ss lines and good pads, better return for your $$.
If you want to take it a step further and in the right direction: work on your front suspension - it will greatly improve your braking. You brakes can be the best in the world but nothing affects braking like bike's soft suspension that allows 400lbs bike+180lbs rider to transfer most of its weight on the front wheel.

1. The rotor size does not matter. The angle of the calipers & the distance from the hub are what determine what size rotor the caliper can accommodate.

2. You talk about weight transfer like it is a bad thing. As long as you are not bottoming out the forks which I doubt anyone here is under normal riding or even very aggressive road roading conditions then weight transfer to the front offers up some very beneficial traits not the least of which is a larger contact patch while trailbraking as well as correcting the geometry of the bike so that it steers easier and holds a tighter line on the way into the turn.

LDH is offline  
post #29 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 09:14 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
if you are 180-200lbs, don't worry about the back yet. Yes shock is a crap but spring is good enough to support you and your bike
The exact same can be said for the front. In fact as a test rider I would much prefer to have a compliant rear shock that aids in my overall comfort & compliance of the bike and deal with a less than ideal front end than the other way around. The rear end of the bike contributes to much more of the handling woes than the front end does. The 919 front end is actually pretty good for the caliber of bike. It is vague with virtually no feedback, but it doesn't fight your inputs much & sticks well even on really poor roads with ripples, potholes and such & never gets tankslappers or oscillations that cause any real concern.

LDH is offline  
post #30 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 AM
`
 
zaq123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: here n' there
Posts: 3,842
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
The 919 front end is actually pretty good for the caliber of bike.
Interesting statement from the suspension store. I understand that Ohlins doesn't have a cartridge kit for 919 but c'mon, don't you setup your suspension for the caliber of rider, not the bike before you sell it to the customer?

rear shock. I'm sure you will agree with me that spring is the most important part of any suspension: shock or forks. Well, if I'd to purchase Ohlins shock and have it setup for my weight, 195lbs, it will come with 1093-74 spring rated at 1028lbs. Oh wait, stock 919 already has 1000lbs spring. Yes, oem shock itself is a POS and Ohlins spring is a top notch quality steel but I would look at my front end first if I had limited $ and being in 180-200lbs category. 919 is way too soft, especially on pre '04 where you can't even crank the preload. Just MHO.


As far as rotor size goes, I'm not an expert but I thought Galfer Co was:
Quote:
A bigger diameter disc does provide more power and better cooling (because any particular point on the disc spends more time in the cool air dissipating heat buildup) you do end up with less modulation (brake control).

zaq123 is offline  
post #31 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 11:35 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I rode my 2004 919 with bone stock suspension and loved every second of it. The simplicity of that bike is its strongest point.

If you want to mod the front end then do it, if you want an Ohlins shock for the rear come see me. Anyone can do anything they want to when it comes to their own bike, but if you want the absolute most out of a 919 then leave it alone and put miles of smiles on it just riding it for what it is; a bargain bin naked bike that is a jack of all trades and master of none. As it sits the 919 is still the best all around streetbike I have ever ridden. It makes no excuses for what it lacks and still returns more to the rider in spite of its basic shortcomings.

I'm a sportbike enthusiast first & foremost. My websites exist so people can get the most out of their sportbike ownership experiences without the myths & ignorance that is so prevalent on these forums & motorcycle shops across the country. I mean just because I quit my Ops Mgr position so I can work in the motorcycle industry doesn't automatically mean I have to start bullshitting people into buying stuff they don't need...

LDH is offline  
post #32 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 01:57 PM
`
 
zaq123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: here n' there
Posts: 3,842
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

I know what you mean LDH. I did mod my 919 a little and I just want to share how different the bike is and how much enjoyable it is now with a little $ invested. I hung around a few suspension pros long enough to understand and appreciate the fact how important the suspension is for the motorcycle.
Yes, 919 is all around do it all machine but I appreciate and enjoy it so much more once it's was a little modded/tuned/tweaked just for me and my weight/skills/abilities if you know what I mean.
It's like those shoes you buy in the store that were made for everyone with size 11. After adjusting shoe laces the way you feel comfortable and breaking them in a little they fit so much better.

zaq123 is offline  
post #33 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 03:16 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,802
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
I rode my 2004 919 with bone stock suspension and loved every second of it. The simplicity of that bike is its strongest point.

If you want to mod the front end then do it, if you want an Ohlins shock for the rear come see me. Anyone can do anything they want to when it comes to their own bike, but if you want the absolute most out of a 919 then leave it alone and put miles of smiles on it just riding it for what it is; a bargain bin naked bike that is a jack of all trades and master of none. As it sits the 919 is still the best all around streetbike I have ever ridden. It makes no excuses for what it lacks and still returns more to the rider in spite of its basic shortcomings.

I'm a sportbike enthusiast first & foremost. My websites exist so people can get the most out of their sportbike ownership experiences without the myths & ignorance that is so prevalent on these forums & motorcycle shops across the country. I mean just because I quit my Ops Mgr position so I can work in the motorcycle industry doesn't automatically mean I have to start bullshitting people into buying stuff they don't need...
I ALWAYS listen when a seller or someone related to a seller says "don't spend" ! They usually know their stuff better than most and can be trusted.

mcromo44 is offline  
post #34 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 03:18 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,802
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
I know what you mean LDH. I did mod my 919 a little and I just want to share how different the bike is and how much enjoyable it is now with a little $ invested. I hung around a few suspension pros long enough to understand and appreciate the fact how important the suspension is for the motorcycle.
Yes, 919 is all around do it all machine but I appreciate and enjoy it so much more once it's was a little modded/tuned/tweaked just for me and my weight/skills/abilities if you know what I mean.
It's like those shoes you buy in the store that were made for everyone with size 11. After adjusting shoe laces the way you feel comfortable and breaking them in a little they fit so much better.
zaq123,
In a very kind and friendly way, I'll say this out loud to all.
I modify some stuff.
You can't leave yours alone !
And that's a good thing !

mcromo44 is offline  
post #35 of 37 Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Tirone
 
efitzgerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 71
Rep Power: 1
 
I have a set of stock gold calipers from an 05 with 11k (with pads). They are yours for free if you want them.

efitzgerald is offline  
post #36 of 37 Old 08-14-2010, 11:01 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,418
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by efitzgerald View Post
I have a set of stock gold calipers from an 05 with 11k (with pads). They are yours for free if you want them.
You can't beat free!!!

Cheers

LDH is offline  
post #37 of 37 Old 08-14-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,839
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by efitzgerald View Post
I have a set of stock gold calipers from an 05 with 11k (with pads). They are yours for free if you want them.
You da man! Pm sent with shipping info I'll certainly pay the shipping!

Thanks man!

-Brian

brian is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome