Caliper swapin... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Caliper swapin...

Any body wanna do some caliper swapin? I have a good set (3) of black and i want gold. Mine are in excellent working/cosmetic shape with about 19k calipers only no pads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 03:49 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Mine probably won't fit

post #3 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Cornicen

Lean that bike over any further, and you'll be on the RIM!

post #4 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

too damn shiny anyway....

post #5 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Lean that bike over any further, and you'll be on the RIM!
Not even close, but that 1246A tire is extremely difficult to scrub edge to edge due to the very triangular profile. At the same time it is almost untuckable... I mean if you wash the front using that tire then you did something REALLY stupid out there and deserve to crash

I've done more on my 919 with street tires

post #6 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
Mine probably won't fit

I'll make them fit, send them my way as well as that radial master.

show-off

post #7 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Man I try and try i ride and ride, But i can't seem to get the front strips that lean. I get down pretty good, never had an issue scrubin down the tires on my gsx-r's. I think I trusted my gxs-r's in the corners more, thats the only thing I miss about super sports how they felt in the twisties.

Plus my suspension is just on not adjusted by any means.

post #8 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Cornicen

I took the "feelers" off of the pegs, because it hurts my brain to hear the scraping, and it instinctively makes me stiffen up (very bad, I know) but, I've never ridden on a track, and I don't trust my abilities on public roads to scrub to the edges like that. I'm impressed!

post #9 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
I took the "feelers" off of the pegs, because it hurts my brain to hear the scraping, and it instinctively makes me stiffen up (very bad, I know) but, I've never ridden on a track, and I don't trust my abilities on public roads to scrub to the edges like that. I'm impressed!

Don't be... I'm a total phucktard when it comes to riding on the road which is why I no longer own a streetbike larger than 250cc's

I simply cannot act right

Took my feelers off too and it still didn't stop

Do a trackday bro and you will be released and relieved!!! I swear you will learn more in 1 day on the track than you will learn in 10 years of street riding.

post #10 of 37 Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Cornicen

I'll take your advice. They do offer track days nearby...it's time I do it.

post #11 of 37 Old 08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If you can use more brakes than the Tokico's on my 07 600RR, you're a much better rider than I. (no doubt)

I had some sack-o-shit in a little red S10 pull out in front ot me one time. 2 finger stoppie, one of my first. I had the ass end of the 600 a foot in the air, I swear. However my pal sait it was more like 4 inches

post #12 of 37 Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

You would be amazed at what the really high end braking systems are capable of.

The Brembo 4 pad mono-bloc's with narrow band rotors are nothing short from the hand of God reaching down grabbing your bike and saying "whoa" (if you believe in such things ) They provide so much initial bite & are so easy to control with so much power that you have an entirely new level of precision at your fingertips literally. Unfortunately while I enjoyed my time testing & developing this bike I cannot personally afford $6000+ worth of brakes even if I can justify it

post #13 of 37 Old 08-10-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Looks serious...

post #14 of 37 Old 08-11-2010, 01:29 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Mike, when the Brembo pads wear out on my Super Duke, what would you replace them with?

How common is it for Brembo street spec rotors to warp?

post #15 of 37 Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Mike, when the Brembo pads wear out on my Super Duke, what would you replace them with?

How common is it for Brembo street spec rotors to warp?
Really it would depend on what is available for your specific model... I have taken a big interest in Carbone Lorraine pads lately as I started using them 2 seasons ago and they work very well and they are CHEAP! I've converted a lot of my trackday & racer pals to them most of them were switching from the Uber expensive Vesrah's or the ultra crappy Galfer and so far not one person has complained about the CL's which is great because they are not the kind of guys to bite their tongue if I sold them something that didn't work properly...

When you say Brembo Street Spec are you talking about OEM fitment?

post #16 of 37 Old 08-11-2010, 08:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Thanks for the headds up on pads, I'll give you a call whan the Brembo pads finally give up the ghost. They're wearing well, but I have 10K miles on the SD. Nothing lasts forever.

The previous owner had the bike knocked over on the right side. New parts got it back to new. I didn't notice any pulsing until about a month ago.

The right front rotor on the SD warped. .020 out of true. Never had that happen to me before. Everything ship shape. Nothing dragging. It's a dry bike, I never ride in the rain. I balst em out with the garden hose occationally. Just one of those things perhaps? The shop I got the bike from, sold me a rotor at cost because the bike is now out of warranty.

post #17 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Cool, LDH got to let his nuts hang and sniper got some heads up on pads.

Anyone wanna trade calipers lol?

post #18 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

No

post #19 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

post #20 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Got it, I'll be in the corner...

post #21 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Look around for a set of RC51 calipers and Master Cylinder. Best non-radial production brakes I have ever used in fact I prefer them over most of the radial mount OEM calipers I have used

post #22 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Hmmm I've heard of the rc51 brakes. Will they bolt right on (f4 forks) and can I use the exsiting rotors?

Definitly something to think on thanks.

post #23 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 02:56 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I don't know, but I bet they will... Most Honda's use a 12.5mm offset on the rotors.

Ironically I bolted up a set of RC51 rotors to my stock 919 forks & could never get rid of some excessive (to me) parasitic drag which was causing the rotors to get way too hot for my liking.

Sometime later I had a couple other owners tell me they had successfully made the RC51 caliper transplant by using the RC51 Master Cylinder along with the calipers. I never tried it again, but have no reason to doubt the accuracy of their info.

post #24 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Hmmm I've heard of the rc51 brakes. Will they bolt right on (f4 forks) and can I use the exsiting rotors?

Definitly something to think on thanks.
yes the will fit right in. Unfortunately rc51 brakes are not complete without 320mm rotors. 919's are 296mm.

Like someone said before, get ss lines and good pads, better return for your $$.
If you want to take it a step further and in the right direction: work on your front suspension - it will greatly improve your braking. You brakes can be the best in the world but nothing affects braking like bike's soft suspension that allows 400lbs bike+180lbs rider to transfer most of its weight on the front wheel.

post #25 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Hmmmm, So calipers master and rotors. I may just get some gold 9er calipers and do something with the springs up front. but I got hte stocker out back arrrrrgh the limitation of $$$.

post #26 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 01:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Just find a nice used Super Duke. No mods necessary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cans 006.jpg (102.7 KB, 3 views)

post #27 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Hmmmm, So calipers master and rotors. I may just get some gold 9er calipers and do something with the springs up front. but I got hte stocker out back arrrrrgh the limitation of $$$.
if you are 180-200lbs, don't worry about the back yet. Yes shock is a crap but spring is good enough to support you and your bike

post #28 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 09:08 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
yes the will fit right in. Unfortunately rc51 brakes are not complete without 320mm rotors. 919's are 296mm.

Like someone said before, get ss lines and good pads, better return for your $$.
If you want to take it a step further and in the right direction: work on your front suspension - it will greatly improve your braking. You brakes can be the best in the world but nothing affects braking like bike's soft suspension that allows 400lbs bike+180lbs rider to transfer most of its weight on the front wheel.

1. The rotor size does not matter. The angle of the calipers & the distance from the hub are what determine what size rotor the caliper can accommodate.

2. You talk about weight transfer like it is a bad thing. As long as you are not bottoming out the forks which I doubt anyone here is under normal riding or even very aggressive road roading conditions then weight transfer to the front offers up some very beneficial traits not the least of which is a larger contact patch while trailbraking as well as correcting the geometry of the bike so that it steers easier and holds a tighter line on the way into the turn.

post #29 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 09:14 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
if you are 180-200lbs, don't worry about the back yet. Yes shock is a crap but spring is good enough to support you and your bike
The exact same can be said for the front. In fact as a test rider I would much prefer to have a compliant rear shock that aids in my overall comfort & compliance of the bike and deal with a less than ideal front end than the other way around. The rear end of the bike contributes to much more of the handling woes than the front end does. The 919 front end is actually pretty good for the caliber of bike. It is vague with virtually no feedback, but it doesn't fight your inputs much & sticks well even on really poor roads with ripples, potholes and such & never gets tankslappers or oscillations that cause any real concern.

post #30 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
The 919 front end is actually pretty good for the caliber of bike.
Interesting statement from the suspension store. I understand that Ohlins doesn't have a cartridge kit for 919 but c'mon, don't you setup your suspension for the caliber of rider, not the bike before you sell it to the customer?

rear shock. I'm sure you will agree with me that spring is the most important part of any suspension: shock or forks. Well, if I'd to purchase Ohlins shock and have it setup for my weight, 195lbs, it will come with 1093-74 spring rated at 1028lbs. Oh wait, stock 919 already has 1000lbs spring. Yes, oem shock itself is a POS and Ohlins spring is a top notch quality steel but I would look at my front end first if I had limited $ and being in 180-200lbs category. 919 is way too soft, especially on pre '04 where you can't even crank the preload. Just MHO.

As far as rotor size goes, I'm not an expert but I thought Galfer Co was:
Quote:
A bigger diameter disc does provide more power and better cooling (because any particular point on the disc spends more time in the cool air dissipating heat buildup) you do end up with less modulation (brake control).

post #31 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 11:35 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I rode my 2004 919 with bone stock suspension and loved every second of it. The simplicity of that bike is its strongest point.

If you want to mod the front end then do it, if you want an Ohlins shock for the rear come see me. Anyone can do anything they want to when it comes to their own bike, but if you want the absolute most out of a 919 then leave it alone and put miles of smiles on it just riding it for what it is; a bargain bin naked bike that is a jack of all trades and master of none. As it sits the 919 is still the best all around streetbike I have ever ridden. It makes no excuses for what it lacks and still returns more to the rider in spite of its basic shortcomings.

I'm a sportbike enthusiast first & foremost. My websites exist so people can get the most out of their sportbike ownership experiences without the myths & ignorance that is so prevalent on these forums & motorcycle shops across the country. I mean just because I quit my Ops Mgr position so I can work in the motorcycle industry doesn't automatically mean I have to start bullshitting people into buying stuff they don't need...

post #32 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 01:57 PM
`

Awards Showcase

I know what you mean LDH. I did mod my 919 a little and I just want to share how different the bike is and how much enjoyable it is now with a little $ invested. I hung around a few suspension pros long enough to understand and appreciate the fact how important the suspension is for the motorcycle.
Yes, 919 is all around do it all machine but I appreciate and enjoy it so much more once it's was a little modded/tuned/tweaked just for me and my weight/skills/abilities if you know what I mean.
It's like those shoes you buy in the store that were made for everyone with size 11. After adjusting shoe laces the way you feel comfortable and breaking them in a little they fit so much better.

post #33 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 03:16 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I rode my 2004 919 with bone stock suspension and loved every second of it. The simplicity of that bike is its strongest point.

If you want to mod the front end then do it, if you want an Ohlins shock for the rear come see me. Anyone can do anything they want to when it comes to their own bike, but if you want the absolute most out of a 919 then leave it alone and put miles of smiles on it just riding it for what it is; a bargain bin naked bike that is a jack of all trades and master of none. As it sits the 919 is still the best all around streetbike I have ever ridden. It makes no excuses for what it lacks and still returns more to the rider in spite of its basic shortcomings.

I'm a sportbike enthusiast first & foremost. My websites exist so people can get the most out of their sportbike ownership experiences without the myths & ignorance that is so prevalent on these forums & motorcycle shops across the country. I mean just because I quit my Ops Mgr position so I can work in the motorcycle industry doesn't automatically mean I have to start bullshitting people into buying stuff they don't need...
I ALWAYS listen when a seller or someone related to a seller says "don't spend" ! They usually know their stuff better than most and can be trusted.

post #34 of 37 Old 08-13-2010, 03:18 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I know what you mean LDH. I did mod my 919 a little and I just want to share how different the bike is and how much enjoyable it is now with a little $ invested. I hung around a few suspension pros long enough to understand and appreciate the fact how important the suspension is for the motorcycle.
Yes, 919 is all around do it all machine but I appreciate and enjoy it so much more once it's was a little modded/tuned/tweaked just for me and my weight/skills/abilities if you know what I mean.
It's like those shoes you buy in the store that were made for everyone with size 11. After adjusting shoe laces the way you feel comfortable and breaking them in a little they fit so much better.
zaq123,
In a very kind and friendly way, I'll say this out loud to all.
I modify some stuff.
You can't leave yours alone !
And that's a good thing !

post #35 of 37 Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Tirone

I have a set of stock gold calipers from an 05 with 11k (with pads). They are yours for free if you want them.

post #36 of 37 Old 08-14-2010, 11:01 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by efitzgerald View Post
I have a set of stock gold calipers from an 05 with 11k (with pads). They are yours for free if you want them.
You can't beat free!!!

Cheers

post #37 of 37 Old 08-14-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by efitzgerald View Post
You da man! Pm sent with shipping info I'll certainly pay the shipping!

Thanks man!

-Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode