Buying 2002 919 Which to choose and a few other ?'s - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 10:10 AM
sinergy

Buying 2002 919 Which to choose and a few other ?'s

Hello, this is my first post here @ WT and before I purchase my 919, I thought I'd ask a few questions and ask you seasoned 919 pro's your opinions. So here we go:

1. I have the choice of a stock 2002 with 1,400 miles for $4800, or a friend of mine is looking to sell his 2002 with 20,000+/- miles for $4000, and includes jacket and helmet. I do not know the mileage capability for these bikes, but my friends is well maintained.

2. In the area of tires, what is the best recomendation for a good dry/summer tire for common use in the city and say on the twisties also?

3. Exhaust? what is a good sounding deep rumble pipe to put on, not obnoxious like a harley, but powerful sounding?

4. What common problems should I be looking for when inspecting this bike?

Thanks for the input, and I hope to be a new 919 owner by the end of the week.

Timothy-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Welcome aboard Tim- You made the choice not that were are partial here towards the 919.

1. 20k miles on a 919 that has been properly cared for is nothing. However if I had a choice I would pay a few extra $$ and go for the low mileage one. That has always been my mindset.

2. As far as tires goes you will get many different opinions. Bottom line is most of the modern day sport tires are good. If I was in the market for tires right now I would spoon on a set of Michelin Pilot Powers.

3. In one word Sato's...

4. Check the obvious... chain, steering head bearings, dings, paint chips or evidence that the bike has been laid down, brake pads, complete functioning electrics. I'm sure others will chime in on this one.

post #3 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Milites Gregarius

I'm new to the 919 myself but for those prices I think it's worth $800 for 18,600 less miles. Used helmets add no value, jacket maybe.

I've heard great things about pilot powers everywhere. They're going on my bike at my track day in July for sure.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Centurion

If condition wise they are at least the same I would go for the lower mileage.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

How Good of a friend are we talking about?

The lesser miles,unless you friend Needs to sell then help a brother out

post #6 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 02:51 PM
cyclerider105

Lower miles for sure! Can't go wrong with 1400 miles! I got Satos for my exhaust and most agree they are IT! Been loving my Metzler Z6 tires. Seem to wear well and provide decent grip for my riding style.

Welcome to the board! 919s ROCK!

post #7 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 05:08 PM
sinergy

yeah, he's a good friend and a co-worker that I face 5 days a week, who unfortunately needs the money bad. I love the 919 so I thought about getting it, but then saw this other one for what seems like a better deal. I don't think I could face him if didn't get his, but then got one just like his, make sense? Damn I am too nice. Yes, he keeps it well maintained, and rarely hot dogs it. He told me a list of things that had been replaced recently and also informed me it still has around a year left on its warranty. oh well, seems I should do the respectable thing and be able to go to work unashamed every day. Anyone have any other input?

Thanks,

Timothy-

post #8 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Ask him to come down to the price of the other one...Meet you half way.

Talk to him.Sure He'd do the same for you?

If it helps I've got +37,000 miles on my 03 9er,no real worries.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Friends and Business sometimes don't mix well Tim, you know why? For a business (or a transaction) to work, you must be relentless, focused and driven with purpose. For a friendship to work you must have none of that, rather remaining flexible and dismiss shortcomings - best to not mix them.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-08-2006, 06:04 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
jetblast makes an excellent point. Buying from a friend or family member can go horribly wrong without a moment's notice. If he is a good friend, he'll understand why you didn't want to buy his.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode