Buy a 919??? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 04-18-2006, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Buy a 919???

Hi All,
In the market to get back onto a motorcycle. I'm looking at the 919 as I like the style and it's about the right size for me. My first bike was a 1968 Honda Hawk 305 (in college - and no I'm not that old... just the bike was old). My last bike (before wife and kids) was an 86- 650 Nighthawk (just after college). Sweet little bike that I loved to ride. I'll be riding the new bike on the freeway for 45 minutes to and from work and hitting the So-Cal hills for some adventure riding during the weekends.

From my research and forum reading, the 919 sounds like a good mix of ride-ability and sportiness. But maybe I'm over-looking a good bike because I'm blinded by my past Honda experiences.

I'm also looking at the 2006 model and haven't seen much on this year in this forum. A side by side compare with the 2005 shows only minor changes. Should I know anything about the 2006? What would be a good price? List shows $8400. I haven't seen many used 919s in the classifieds around these parts, but I haven't looked really hard either.

Anyway... I would appreciate any feedback to help solidify my decision on this one.
And thanks in advance!
Stig

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-18-2006, 04:07 PM
tomvan72

The 919 was my first bike and I loved it the first time i rode it. Plenty of power when you need it and very gentle when you need it. It is easy to ride and super fun in the twisties. As far as reliability goes, I only have 5000 miles on mine but not a problem. well, I keep working my rear tire over! But really, I love it. I have since ridden other bikes that are great. I have never regretted buying the 919. She cooks like a chef, cleans like maid, Looks like a model and owns the bedroom.

post #3 of 15 Old 04-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Honda Addict

You can't go wrong with the 919. My '03 is actually the 2nd bike I've owned. When I bought it new I was looking to get a bike that was as you put it "a good mix of rideability and sportiness". That's a perfect way to describe it actually. It is fast when you want it to be but more on the moderate level than a lot of the sportbikes out there these days. It's not unpredictable unless you start trying to ride it like the track bike it's NOT.

I would say that if you find a new one for right around $7000 (give or take a few hundred) you could consider it a good deal. In my experience you should take at least $1000 of the "factory list price". They jack that price so the dealers have plenty of wiggle room. You might try to find a left over '05 and haggle on it. You don't see a lot of them in the classifieds because most people these days are going for the full tilt sportbikes or cruisers. I think it's fair to say that the 919 falls right in between. And not too many people on the forums have '06 models because we were attracted to them from first sight and they've been out since '02. Only things that have changed in 4 years are the colors and suspension. Starting in '04 the front was preload adjustable.

Plus, it's a Honda - very reliable!!!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
16,000 miles and she still purrs like a kitten, even after all the abuse I've hurled her way.

If you can find one used, jump on it! Otherwise, do like razor said and look for leftovers. The bike isn't terribly popular, except among those in the know As a result, it's usually possible to find a good deal on one.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #5 of 15 Old 04-18-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

THanks for the inputs

All great feedback and glad to hear the positive comments. I appreciate the suggestion on pricing. I've got about 3 or 4 dealers in the area and I'll try to play off of them on the pricing. I haven't seen any 05s in the showrooms but I'll do some more searching. I'll probably have a bit better time dealing on an 05 vs 06.

THis looks like a great site to keep in the know on the latest as well as just for sharing the good (and not so good) experiences of riding.

One thing that I did pickup up was the suggestion of spending money on learning how to ride verses trying to trick up the 919. That sounds like excellent advice. I've put several thousand miles on bikes, but I still consider myself an "average" rider. I'm sure my overall skills would greatly improve with some professional training!

Again... thanks for the inputs.
Stig

post #6 of 15 Old 04-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Clipped from the for sale sec. this forum

For Sale...2002 Honda 919

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This 919 is showroom condition with only 983 miles on it.
Here is a chance to pick up a almost new 919 for a great price. $5000
The 919 is completely stock and looking for a new home.
Bike is located in CT.

pm or email me at [email protected]
BTW: I'm not selling my 919, this is a friends bike who never rides it...

post #7 of 15 Old 04-18-2006, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Sounds like a deal... but

That would be a ride! CT to CA. We're talking about 3000 miles. It would probably cost me a grand or two just to ride it back. Don't get me wrong... it would probably be a great trip! But the wife would be in a tizzy over that idea. LOL.

But thanks for the tip!

post #8 of 15 Old 04-18-2006, 09:10 PM
rider

Smile

You'll be making an excellent choice with the 919. I just bought my 05 a year ago this month. It is a great all-around motorcycle. and Honda reliability is a foregone conclusion.

The dealer's margin on the 919 is $1679.80. This includes the 5% holdback. The dealer gets all 5% if it is sold within 6 months of delivery. Most salesman make 8 - 10 % on the sale margin. The actual freight charge from Honda is $150. Prep charge is at the dealer's discretion. On the 919 I think it is calculated at 1.2 hrs. So the dealer may charge you according to their hourly labor rate or they may bump it up to increase their margin.

I know all this because I was a Honda salesman when I bought my 919. Just remember that the salesman does have to make a living and at the small margin in terms of dollars he has to sell alot of bikes to get a decent paycheck.

Bottom line is, the 919 is a great bike and a great value. The reason you don't see many for sale is because everyone that owns one loves it.

Happy hunting.

post #9 of 15 Old 04-18-2006, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Thanks S10

I was looking into buying an Invoice report for the bike. I was guessing about $1200 for the margin... but looks like I was a little low. That margin puts the dealer price at a bit under 7 grand. I think I can work with that and still make sure that the Saleman gets a decent cut. Tax in CA adds another 7.75% and we have the silly CA emissions mark up. They tack on something like $200 for a carbon filter or something like that connected to the gas tank! Just a bit of a rip!!!

And since I've been out of the rider loop for a while, I'm sure I'll be spending a few bucks picking up the required accessories. So I can use that for as leverage in the deal as well.

Really appreciate the info!

post #10 of 15 Old 04-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvetree
Clipped from the for sale sec. this forum

For Sale...2002 Honda 919

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This 919 is showroom condition with only 983 miles on it.
Here is a chance to pick up a almost new 919 for a great price. $5000
The 919 is completely stock and looking for a new home.
Bike is located in CT.

pm or email me at [email protected]
BTW: I'm not selling my 919, this is a friends bike who never rides it...

He he he! I think it will have brand new Sato Slip-ons too?

--

EDIT:

Oh! you were serious. I thought you were making a joke. Whoops!
In that case, I don't think there enough miles on it to import it into California without adding the emissions crap. I think I read somewhere it has to be over 7000. Shipping would be the way to go. Probably ship it for about $700 or less.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #11 of 15 Old 04-18-2006, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Cross Coutry Cruise

Yes... I've always thought it would be a fun thing to do... but not necessarily realistic. I've done it about 5 or 6 times in a car... not quite east to west coast, but close enough! A car is hard enough and a mortorcycle would be a challenge! But I use to be a boy scout and I'm use to challenges!

And yes it would be smarter to ship! But the CA emission stuff usually throws a damper on the equation! And what's funny is that the bike emissions really aren't the issue. They are so low to begin with... they don't come into play. Its the the raw fuel vapors that they are really concerned about! Now if anyone has watched people fill up their gas tanks on their cars... everyone knows that there is enough gas spilled in an hour than my little 919 gas tank would ever emit in it's lifetime! So bottom line is that it's a big revenue generator for CA... got to pay for those sunshine dollars somehow!

post #12 of 15 Old 04-18-2006, 10:09 PM
cyclerider105

You will LOVE a 919!

post #13 of 15 Old 04-19-2006, 04:12 AM
Tirone

If you can find a used one in CA for similiar dough as the one in CT that would be your best bet. I see a bunch of them that guys sell after a year or two with low miles and pretty much stock for 4500-6000. And with the older models you can enjoy the 919 before it got it's JC Whitney redux...chrome, gold and gloss paint. My bike has 12k on it now and I haven't had anything but fun on the thing!

post #14 of 15 Old 04-19-2006, 05:24 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy8
That would be a ride! CT to CA. We're talking about 3000 miles. It would probably cost me a grand or two just to ride it back. Don't get me wrong... it would probably be a great trip! But the wife would be in a tizzy over that idea. LOL.

But thanks for the tip!
Maybe I could deliver it, always wanted to ride across country on a bike...j/k

The 919 is a fine choice although most of us here are biased. You did mention freeway commuting, the 919 does not offer much in the way of wind protection even with the aftermarket screens that are available. Just something you should be aware of.

BTW: I remember the 305 superhawk, great bike!!!

post #15 of 15 Old 04-19-2006, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142
Maybe I could deliver it, always wanted to ride across country on a bike...j/k

The 919 is a fine choice although most of us here are biased. You did mention freeway commuting, the 919 does not offer much in the way of wind protection even with the aftermarket screens that are available. Just something you should be aware of.

BTW: I remember the 305 superhawk, great bike!!!

I looked into the windshield thing... there isn't much out there like you said.

And yes that 305 was a fun bike. Had the electric starter. But usually had to kick start it. The thing weighed a ton, but even though it was almost 15 years old... it ran smooth and strong! Definitely a good introduction to motorcycles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode