Burning smell?? - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Duuuuuuurp.....
 
OSIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Provo
Posts: 499
Rep Power: 1
 
Burning smell??

I have had my 9er for almost a month now and have started noticing a smell like something is burning after I turn her off. I have no idea where the smell could be coming from. Took her to the Honda shop and they don't know either, said they would have to have a 'tech' check her out to see. I really want to avoid paying out the backside on something that I can fix myself... any takers on what the smell might be? Normal or something I should worry about... the bike feels like it is running perfectly and from all appearances, looks in PREMO condition! Any input would be much appreciated!

__________________
2004 Honda Shadow Aero - Black & Silver (Sold)
2002 Honda 919 - Pearl White (Sold)
2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - Black & Silver


Spoiler:



Apparently I need to hit a few more states
OSIRIS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Twisted Wrister
 
AMERAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brooksville, Fl.
Posts: 985
Rep Power: 1
 
Maybe it's you, not the bike. : )

AMERAV is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 PM
pew pew pew
 
hob0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 441
Rep Power: 1
 
what kind of burning smell? burning rubber, oil, and plastic all smell differently

hob0 is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Toll Runner
 
str8ghtjacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hutto
Posts: 1,537
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Whats the smell like, rubber, oil, plastic? Hobo beat me too it, lol

str8ghtjacket is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Aquilifer
 
hooker_47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 1,250
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Have you run through any muddy, or even muddy water, recently? If it's splashed up around your pipes, that could be causing it. My DR always smells that way, from all the mud on the pipes at any given time...

-Joe
hooker_47 is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Duuuuuuurp.....
 
OSIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Provo
Posts: 499
Rep Power: 1
 
My smell gland isn't good enough to pinpoint exactly what kind of smell it is, but I do remember so crud on my pipes, probably from something splashing up from the front tire, (I'm an all-weather type of rider). I'll clean them and see how that works. I know there was a post with the recommended substance to clean your pipes with, but I don't know where, any recommendations?. I'd really like to get something that will really make them shine.

On another though, why are some of the pipes I see on 9ers silver and others are a bronze color? Mine are the bronze color?

__________________
2004 Honda Shadow Aero - Black & Silver (Sold)
2002 Honda 919 - Pearl White (Sold)
2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - Black & Silver


Spoiler:



Apparently I need to hit a few more states
OSIRIS is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Duuuuuuurp.....
 
OSIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Provo
Posts: 499
Rep Power: 1
 
Forgot.... since I just bought the bike I haven't changed the oil so I don't know how fresh it is, could that be causing the burning smell as well?

__________________
2004 Honda Shadow Aero - Black & Silver (Sold)
2002 Honda 919 - Pearl White (Sold)
2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - Black & Silver


Spoiler:



Apparently I need to hit a few more states
OSIRIS is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 01:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,490
Rep Power: 1
 
The silver pipes belong to people who clean their pipes.

....scotchbrite, comet, lots of elbow grease.

Where's your smell coming from? Front or back by the exhausts?

Sniper is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Duuuuuuurp.....
 
OSIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Provo
Posts: 499
Rep Power: 1
 
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure where the smell is coming from, I think it is the front but that it just my hypothesis.

So what is the best way to make my pipes shine like a pro?

__________________
2004 Honda Shadow Aero - Black & Silver (Sold)
2002 Honda 919 - Pearl White (Sold)
2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - Black & Silver


Spoiler:



Apparently I need to hit a few more states
OSIRIS is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member
 
RC51_CBRXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 10,498
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I remember a burning smell of rubber once during her screaming. So, I switch to natural condoms and K-Y.

But seriously. I've had a piece of plastic grocery bag that was stuck to the exhaust once and smelled like heck!

RC51_CBRXX is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Duuuuuuurp.....
 
OSIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Provo
Posts: 499
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
I remember a burning smell of rubber once during her screaming. So, I switch to natural condoms and K-Y.
That is what blow dolls can do to ya....

No grocery bags here...

__________________
2004 Honda Shadow Aero - Black & Silver (Sold)
2002 Honda 919 - Pearl White (Sold)
2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - Black & Silver


Spoiler:



Apparently I need to hit a few more states
OSIRIS is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 155
Rep Power: 0
 
Take the panty hose off your blow up doll.

Berto61 is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped
 
xrmikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,909
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Make sure your rear brake light switch wires are not hitting the exhaust near the reservoir cup. They should be wire tied to the reservoir line.
If it touches the exhaust, it will melt, & give you that plastic burning smell.

xrmikey is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Duuuuuuurp.....
 
OSIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Provo
Posts: 499
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
Make sure your rear brake light switch wires are not hitting the exhaust near the reservoir cup. They should be wire tied to the reservoir line.
If it touches the exhaust, it will melt, & give you that plastic burning smell.
Do you mean under the seat? or is there another place to look?

__________________
2004 Honda Shadow Aero - Black & Silver (Sold)
2002 Honda 919 - Pearl White (Sold)
2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - Black & Silver


Spoiler:



Apparently I need to hit a few more states
OSIRIS is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke
 
MotoCycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,085
Rep Power: 1
 
No offense OSIRIS, but you refuse to give any real details about your "burning smell". You can't seem to indicate what the material smells like or where it's coming from.. how do you expect us to help you? Let me look at my crystal ball and see what it says about burning smells on your bike. Mechanical repair isn't voodoo. It's a process of diagnostics and often a process of elimination. I guarantee this forum is full of folks that can fix your bike.. but not with a bag of chicken bones tossed over the shoulder. You need to provide at least some details to help us remotely diagnose your problem.. otherwise, we are all just guessing.. which I refuse to do without more info.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
MotoCycho is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Official thread derailer
 
dadogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pocono Mts PA
Posts: 11,015
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
No offense OSIRIS, but you refuse to give any real details about your "burning smell". You can't seem to indicate what the material smells like or where it's coming from.. how do you expect us to help you? Let me look at my crystal ball and see what it says about burning smells on your bike. Mechanical repair isn't voodoo. It's a process of diagnostics and often a process of elimination. I guarantee this forum is full of folks that can fix your bike.. but not with a bag of chicken bones tossed over the shoulder. You need to provide at least some details to help us remotely diagnose your problem.. otherwise, we are all just guessing.. which I refuse to do without more info.

Case in point, Moto's avatar shows in visual form why his smells like smoke.




Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
dadogs is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 11-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke
 
MotoCycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,085
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Case in point, Moto's avatar shows in visual form why his smells like smoke.
That'd be burning rubber smoke

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
MotoCycho is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 11-06-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Duuuuuuurp.....
 
OSIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Provo
Posts: 499
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
No offense OSIRIS, but you refuse to give any real details about your "burning smell". You can't seem to indicate what the material smells like or where it's coming from.. how do you expect us to help you? Let me look at my crystal ball and see what it says about burning smells on your bike. Mechanical repair isn't voodoo. It's a process of diagnostics and often a process of elimination. I guarantee this forum is full of folks that can fix your bike.. but not with a bag of chicken bones tossed over the shoulder. You need to provide at least some details to help us remotely diagnose your problem.. otherwise, we are all just guessing.. which I refuse to do without more info.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to give you as much information as I could on this particular problem, it is not that I refuse to give you and real details about my "burning smell", it is that I admitably am a noob when it comes to bike repairs and as I can see it could be hard for you to understand with your experience that someone can't fully explain themselves, it is well indeed true. If you refuse to give help, that is ok.

My last question was not vague at all, it was actually in reference to xrmikey's comment on making sure that the brake light switch wires are not hitting the exhaust near the reservior cup. I would like to know more of what he meant because yet again, I admit that I am il-experienced.

Thanks for the heads up about detail though. I'll be sure to use as much detail as I can about something that I know little about.

__________________
2004 Honda Shadow Aero - Black & Silver (Sold)
2002 Honda 919 - Pearl White (Sold)
2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - Black & Silver


Spoiler:



Apparently I need to hit a few more states
OSIRIS is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped
 
xrmikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,909
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIRIS View Post
Don't get me wrong, I would love to give you as much information as I could on this particular problem, it is not that I refuse to give you and real details about my "burning smell", it is that I admitably am a noob when it comes to bike repairs and as I can see it could be hard for you to understand with your experience that someone can't fully explain themselves, it is well indeed true. If you refuse to give help, that is ok.

My last question was not vague at all, it was actually in reference to xrmikey's comment on making sure that the brake light switch wires are not hitting the exhaust near the reservior cup. I would like to know more of what he meant because yet again, I admit that I am il-experienced.

Thanks for the heads up about detail though. I'll be sure to use as much detail as I can about something that I know little about.
The cup is where you put the brake fluid in for the rear brake.
It is near the foot peg on the right.
The wires will hit the "y-pipe" if the wire tie brakes.

xrmikey is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 11-06-2007, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Duuuuuuurp.....
 
OSIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Provo
Posts: 499
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
The cup is where you put the brake fluid in for the rear brake.
It is near the foot peg on the right.
The wires will hit the "y-pipe" if the wire tie brakes.
thanks!

__________________
2004 Honda Shadow Aero - Black & Silver (Sold)
2002 Honda 919 - Pearl White (Sold)
2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - Black & Silver


Spoiler:



Apparently I need to hit a few more states
OSIRIS is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome