Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

bump start

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  marylandmike 
#1 ·
i let the fan run too long, ran the battery down, haven't tried a bump start in 20 years.
i figured no way but gave it a shot anyway.
it started, maybe no biggy but i was impressed with the bike,
i love this thing.

#2 ·
Yup. As long as the battery has enough oomph to bring up the ECU and prime the fuel rail it should fire right up. One thing I've found helps is to put it in gear and roll it backwards until you feel it come up to compression, then pull in the clutch and give it a good run. In this way the crankshaft has a little more time to rotate before it hits a compression stroke and you have some more momentum built up.

I became an expert on bump starting a 500 single when the kick start gear stripped on my Gold Star, and it couldn't be done without backing up to compression first. Of course with a single the crank makes almost two full revolutions before hitting compression, so has plenty of inertia.

Rob

#10 ·
These bikes start surprisingly easy. I had just got my leg out of a cast and could kinda walk but not run. The battery died so I got a few hobbles across the parking lot and popped it in 2nd, fired right up. Had to do it again the next day on the way to work (and leaving work) so I got a new battery on the way home!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.