Buell winning races - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Buell winning races

It seems Buell has joined Barton in beating up on 600RR types.

If I have it right Buell has won 3 AMA Pro Daytona Sportbike races. Go to the AMA website. In this series, they let big twins run against the 600s. If Ducati ever gets interested, I'm afraid it'll be all over but the crying.

At any rate, it's a good thing for Buell. They'll get noticed a bit. They'll advertise the wins, sell a few bikes, make a little money.

Now if they can work out the bugs in that 1125, and make it better looking, it'll turn into an interesting bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Its funny in my mind to see a 1125 compete with a 600 to be competitive.

post #3 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

not just that.... factory bikes need all that displacement to beat privateers.

Are they runnning the 1125? I know a couple years ago it was the air cooled 1200s. And being aircooled is what gave them the huge displacement advantage in the rules. The liquid cooled used to only be allowed up 750cc's (I think that was the rule).

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #4 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 

Yes, its the 1125R and it still gets beat by 600s. Shows you how amazing these Japanese sports perform.

post #5 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
It seems Buell has joined Barton in beating up on 600RR types.

post #6 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 10:28 AM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
If Ducati ever gets interested, I'm afraid it'll be all over but the crying. .

Can't happen.
The rulebook was written so that the Buell, and ONLY the Buell can enjoy the advantage.

I was actually thinking about this this morning. DMG is obviously trying to court the Harley faithful back to racing.
I asked some of the harley guys here at work what they thought about it and it's still not on their radar.

Back cover of this months RRW has a Buell ad that says..... (Eslick is riding the Buell)

"Danny Eslick didn't get the memo about the Buell not being able to compete with the Mighty Factories"
The ad goes on to trumpet the Buells race wins.

The ad says nothing about the displacement advantage.

On the other hand......

There are other Buell's in the field and they're not nearly as fast.

Maybe the Buell and Eslick just go together really well?? Like Stoner and Ducati?

post #7 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Honda advertised the crap out of their formula extreme championships.... when no other manufacturer ever participated. I guess politics are everywhere you go.

Spoiler:
post #8 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Tirone

I think it's pretty cool to see an American bike on the podium. I also think it's pretty cool to see a first year team beat the LONG established factory teams.

A few things...It's difficult to have a class where I4s and Twins can compete equally. AMA tried to make a level playing field. In the last race I saw, the top 6 finshers were on 6 different bikes...that seems pretty even. Before the season, no one knew if the Buell would even be competitive. Give some credit to Eslick, it's not like Buells are sweeping the podium.

I'm not ready bash the Buell because:
--The Buell hasn't qualifed on the Pole or set the fastest lap in a race.
--The Buell is already penalized 20 lbs over the 600cc bikes.
--The fastest bike in the class is the Aprilia, and it's best finish so far is 6th.
--Eslick has been riding his ASS off.

If you see a Buell sweep or Eslick gapping the field by 15 seconds, I think that they will add another 10 lbs to the Buell. Especailly now that NASCAR owns AMA Pro Racing.

post #9 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoppa View Post
I think it's pretty cool to see an American bike on the podium. I also think it's pretty cool to see a first year team beat the LONG established factory teams.
What factory team?
Last I checked, all the factories backed out.

Spoiler:
post #10 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Optio

Which gives Buell a great opertunity to win races if he gives backing to racers. Although I think Eslick is a privateer.

Ducati can compete. Their 848 is legall. Not sure how the rules are written but it is amazing a 8 valve water cooled 1125 is up against regular 600s. But, like was stated above. Its all politics. Any machine can be competative against any other machines once the rules are written to make it so. And then the politicing really starts. My bike is too handy capped....give me this....or take their x away.....

thats what made me hate car racing. never watch it anymore after I got invovled and found out how it really is. Even in relativily stock classes. The winner is the guy that has a slick talker in the background. Assuming everything else on the team is within reasonable capabilities of the competition.

Bike racing isn't so bad since most manufacturers use the same basic formula. But toss in twins and tripples or other unique setups and the slinging begins.

Okay. I'm done ranting. In the end. Good for Buell. And I doubt its a way to get HD ownerss interested. HD guys hate buell more than most anyone else. And, thankfully, they don't use that HD crap anymore (at least for the bike I would concider buying). Rotax powers the race winners.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #11 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
What factory team?
Last I checked, all the factories backed out.
Factory Aprilia Millennium Technologies
Attack Kawasaki
Erion Honda
M4 Suzuki

All have more racing experience, background, and resources than
Bruce Rossmeyers Daytona Racing/RMR Buell. If you watched the AMA interview with Eslick...he drives his own truck to 10-14 hours to some of the races.

post #12 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Attack, Erion and M4 are not factory. They are teir 1 privateers.
Their budgets are significantly smaller than factory.

It may be nice to see a buell win, but make no mistake... they are not beating factory teams.

Spoiler:
post #13 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Of course i'm not racing and have ZERO first hand info but....I started to watch the AMA (NASCAR) races until I found out the advantages offered to the Buell. I have read,

More HP and supposed to be something like 20 lbs heavier but they're not.
Allowance to use parts that are not the norm. I have read they may snadbag on qual times.

IMHO, Same old story as NASCAR. You might as well watch the WWF or something similar. I'll just ride by bike!!!!!

post #14 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

Saw this poll and thought it pretty much sums it up to most folks.

------------------------------------------------------------------
SouperPoll :: Making History Or Making A Mockery?

Buell's win in the Daytona Sport Bike class at Fontana today will go down in AMA racing history as, well, something. But what?

How do you rate Eslick and the 1200cc Buell's "win" over the Japanese 600s?

--It's epic. Just like in 1988 when Schwantz beat Gardner at Suzuka for his first GP win.

285 votes (3.4&#37

--A legendary comeback. Like Hailwood winning the Isle of Man at age 38. This is one for the ages.

137 votes (1.6%)

--Like Gobert blowing off practice at Loudon and then setting the pole, Eslick is now on the fast track to MotoGP or WSBK glory.

254 votes (3.0%)

--None of the above. It's a sad and pathetic joke. We are now, officially, a laughingstock.

7737 votes (92.0%)

Vote total: 8413
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Desmolicious - Buell = Kramer on Seinfeld March 30, 2009 10:05 AM
This reminds of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was kicking butt in karate class. Only problem was he was fighting against 10 year olds...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #15 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 PM

This isn't the first time Harley has had a displacement, as well as other advantages in AMA road racing. When I was a kid (yes, way back then) Harley was allowed to run 750’s when everyone else was limited to 500’s. Granted, they were KR750’s (side valve verses OHV and OHC 500’s), but they were very competitive. It wasn’t until 1970 when the AMA allowed 750’s of all types to run, and Dick Mann promptly won the ’70 Daytona 200 on a factory Honda. Let’s not forget the infamous VR-1000. Has anyone ever seen a street legal VR running around (VROD's don't count)? Neither have I, though I did see one with street equipment at the AMA National in Loudon, NH in 1997 parked in the HD pits. Harley has always had an advantage in all types of racing (don’t get me started about the Pro Stock “Harley” that’s allowed to run in NHRA Pro Stock drag racing).

The 1125R has an engine by Rotax, though it was supposedly designed with input from HD so it would not be entirely correct to call it an American bike.

Hey Simpson, get back to work. . .

post #16 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 AM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoppa View Post
If you see a Buell sweep or Eslick gapping the field by 15 seconds, I think that they will add another 10 lbs to the Buell. Especailly now that NASCAR owns AMA Pro Racing.

They added 15 lbs today.

http://amaproracing.com/assets/AMAPr...ll-2009-08.pdf

post #17 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy View Post

Funny thing abotu this, if we all turn back our clock to 1994/1995 - the AMA made Ferraci add weight to thier 916/955 - they did and went faster ! The additional weight isnt a bad penatily as long as the team decidces on where to put it !

Im for the Buell being in there - yeah, its a huge advantage, but, Im sure they werent planning on the bike being as competive as it is - Years ago the rules were written so the an air/oil cooled /puchrod V-Twin could displace 1340CC's - twice and then some as the 600's - it didn't work out - Buell couldnt get the bike to work, they would checw up silpper clutchs, shread primary chains and just destroy pistons ( the intake valves were as big as coke cans on the XBRR's ! )- Im sure that was what the guys @ the AMA/DMG were thinking of when they allowed Buell to run the 1125r's - Its just a shame that Danny's performance is being discounted - He is a great rider and he has found a bike that really fits his style -

post #18 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Optio

well said 2ohno.

I say sit back and enjoy the show. Or, if you don't like that itss not ttuely heads up then don't watch. Go to a small club race and watch those guys. Its likely they are all running the same type bikes. Heck, maybe even same make. Or watch off road. Everyones on the same basic equipment there. Though those 4 strokes have a huge "advantage" over the two strokes. Just like twins have an "advantage" over 4s. If displacement is your only criteria for an advantage.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #19 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Yeah I'd enjoy the show if it was on friggin TV at a reasonable time......

That aside the Vtwin vs i-l 4 thing has been going on for decades, if not longer......(That's why we have the RC51 right fellas?)

So maybe DMG got it wrong maybe they didn't, maybe it's Danny maybe its not. I still think that Harley being in racing (and not getting it's ass kicked all the time) is a good thing for the sport.

I think with this new weight penalty, DMG is trying to right the ship a little. Good for them, they did something right for a change.

post #20 of 26 Old 04-15-2009, 07:56 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Oh boy !!! Just saw this !! http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=36150

Wouldnt this be a cool thing to hear !!!

post #21 of 26 Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Optio

HOw much of Buell does HD own. I'd hardly say HD is racing. Buell is. If Buell is majority owned by HD then I guess they are racing. With someone elses engine. Haha.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #22 of 26 Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Optio

Didn't Norton go out of busness a long time ago? So this is just a new company who bought an old name? Hope they can do it. But its hard to get excited about it when one thinks of it in the way I stated above.

Like Indian. I could care less about them. But I'll give credit to Vicory anyday. Though I'd never own either of their bikes.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #23 of 26 Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Tirone

Now that HD owns MV Agusta, how sexy would it be to have the 1078RR motor in a Buell? Come to think of it, MV's styling department could do wonders for the 1125's ugly pods.

post #24 of 26 Old 04-16-2009, 07:10 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring919 View Post
HOw much of Buell does HD own. I'd hardly say HD is racing. Buell is. If Buell is majority owned by HD then I guess they are racing. With someone elses engine. Haha.

HD owns 98 % or Buell now --

post #25 of 26 Old 04-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Optio

So HD is racing with someone elses engine. At least it is a company that specializes in building engines for other manufactures. But it still amuzes me even HD realizes their inhouse stuff is crap.

I am a fan of the 1125 CR. Just not the price. Or the fact that it is a buell. He'd have to offer something really special to win me over after working on that retarded Blast. God that bike is awful.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #26 of 26 Old 04-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring919 View Post
So HD is racing with someone elses engine. At least it is a company that specializes in building engines for other manufactures. But it still amuzes me even HD realizes their inhouse stuff is crap.

I am a fan of the 1125 CR. Just not the price. Or the fact that it is a buell. He'd have to offer something really special to win me over after working on that retarded Blast. God that bike is awful.
+1 o nthe blast - not a very good bike or idea at all ! It totally fails on its objective to get new riders out there - Thats bike scares alot of people away !

Ive maitained the HD's are a diffrent kind of bike for a different kind of riding. If you wana putz around and make noise, it the bike you need. If you wana do something different, look else where - Granted there are excptions, but, they are few and far between.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode