BT56 -vs- BT57 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 08-27-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
notsowisecracker

BT56 -vs- BT57

So a few of months ago I'm in Cycle Gear, looking over the discounted stuff. Returns, custom orders never picked up, etc.
The longer the stuff sits, the bigger percent they mark it down.

I saw a new Bridgstone BT57, asked about it, and was told it was ordered but never picked up.
Didn't need a tire, but figured I'd come back in a month when the price dropped again and see if it was still there.

I did, it was, I bought it.
By my math it was $30, but by some fancy math performed by Cycle Gear register it ended up being $25!

So, on to my question: What is the difference between my stock BT56 rear tire, and this BT57 (other than a being new)?
Is it a softer compound?
A harder compound?
Will I notice any difference at all?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-27-2010, 08:30 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

not much different
Bridgestone Motorcycle Tires / Tyres

except the 56 says high grip

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #3 of 8 Old 08-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Aquilifer

You might look at the date code stamped on the side of that tire and see how old it is.

The 57 was the sport-touring tire.
The 56 was the street-sport tire.

I'm not sure when the 57 was replaced by the 020 (which was replaced by the 21 ( which was replaced by the 23 ) ) ), but I'm sure it was awhile ago.

2 digit week, 2 digit year

2703 == 27th week of 2003

post #4 of 8 Old 08-28-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
notsowisecracker

So, 3rd week of '06?

I've never understood the focus on when a tire was made.

I can see date being an issue if the tire has been on the bike for years, but is there really any issue if unmounted tire has been stored in a climate controlled building?

post #5 of 8 Old 08-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
is there really any issue if unmounted tire has been stored in a climate controlled building?
Yes...depending upon the "control". A tire stored near sources of ozone production (electric motor, for example) will age much faster, as will one that has been in sunlight, subject to extremes in temperature, or stacked incorrectly.

We used to "age" our tubular bicycle tires for a year or two in a closet before using them, as it was supposed to result in them performing better. Don't know if it worked or not.

I bought an 09 motorcycle that was new in July 08, had been ridden 45 miles and stored in a garage for two years until this July. Both inner tubes had dry-rotted to the point that they flatted...the front did so 5 miles into it's first ride, the rear lasted 20 miles.

The conditions of storage are very, very important in rubber products. If the conditions aren't known, you just don't know what you are getting. I'd rather not take that chance on a two-wheeled vehicle....but, I'm old and hate crashing.

post #6 of 8 Old 08-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Aquilifer

30th week of 06.

So the tire's a bit over 3 years old.

Not horrible; I wouldn't take it on a track day, but i'd certainly molest it on a dozen Sunday morning rides.

post #7 of 8 Old 08-28-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
notsowisecracker

Had it mounted today.

Probably use it the remainder of the year, and try the Power Pure's next spring.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

just for the record... the 56 and the 57 are horrible tires best suited for a bonfire......

the bt014/16/21/23 are excellent tires.... with the 023's being a awesome dual compound sport tourer with awesome side grip and a LONG lasting center....

and the prices are right!!

just my humble opinion...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode