Brakes grinding - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Brakes grinding

Hey all!
I have an '02 919. Got it w/225 miles on it from a guy who didn't know what to do with it. I've added SATO carbon fibers, PC III, stainless steel brake lines, CRG mirrors and levers and some very sweet Michelin Pilot Powers (which I see are standard on the Speed Triple which I have an eye for).

Anyhow... I ride in the desert mountains of southern California. Lots of twisites and heat. Ever since I changed the brake lines I've noticed a grinding sound from my fron tire. Today I did a complete check of the front end and found that there is no gap at all between the brake pads and the rotors on either side. The rotors and pads are in great shape though. I did completely change and bleed the brake fluid when I changed the lines. I will try to once again relpace the brake fluid and bleed the lines.

If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them.

By the way... my unit only has 5600 miles on it.

Listen to SIRIUS 27 and have a happy 666! :chris:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Tirone

Same problem here. '02 919 1800 miles.

post #3 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedj
Hey all!
I have an '02 919. Got it w/225 miles on it from a guy who didn't know what to do with it. I've added SATO carbon fibers, PC III, stainless steel brake lines, CRG mirrors and levers and some very sweet Michelin Pilot Powers (which I see are standard on the Speed Triple which I have an eye for).

Anyhow... I ride in the desert mountains of southern California. Lots of twisites and heat. Ever since I changed the brake lines I've noticed a grinding sound from my fron tire. Today I did a complete check of the front end and found that there is no gap at all between the brake pads and the rotors on either side. The rotors and pads are in great shape though. I did completely change and bleed the brake fluid when I changed the lines. I will try to once again relpace the brake fluid and bleed the lines.

If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them.

By the way... my unit only has 5600 miles on it.

Listen to SIRIUS 27 and have a happy 666! :chris:

What exactly is the problem? No gap? There is no gap between a disc and a brake pad.. not one you can see anyway. Perhaps the grinding is debris or the pads are still braking in. Mine made a faint grind for several thousand miles if i recall correctly in the front. Of course verify the pads have lining, but I think you are simply hearing normal mating between the pads and rotors based on what you describe. Get in there with a flashlight and make sure though.

BTW: I have almost 19,000 miles on my '03 and still running the original front pads. The rear I have changed once with EBC organics, which lasted maybe 2000 miles and then I switched to EBC HH (Double H) pads which lasted as long as the OEM set did, maybe 8000 miles give or take. Just changed them 200 miles ago again.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #4 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Check the pads, are they worn down a lot? That can cause the sound. If their is some debris or chemical on the pads it could do it too.

Is the braking power the same as it always has been?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #5 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Honda Addict

If the brakes feel like they function normally and if the front wheel spins freely when off the ground without a lot of drag it's normal. Mine made a grinding brake sound from the front until about 2,000 miles. Noise is gone now at 8,000 and the brakes work fine. Pads in good shape. They are supposed to drag the rotors just a little bit.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Everything works great. My service manual said to check for a minimum of .7mm gap between the pads and rotors with a feeler gauge. I couldn't get any size feeler in there. I suppose I should stop whinning and just keep pounding out those miles.

Thanks bro!

post #7 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 08:08 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

.7mm is about .028 inch. Not much. If you lift the front end and spin the wheel, does it move rotate a revolution or two with a little bit of 'chhhh chhhh
chhh' sound? If so, =normal. Some pad drag is present especially with dual discs.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #8 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 08:28 AM

A slight scrubbing is normal. You probably had too much gap prior to changing the lines and brake fluid.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=Bigdaa If you lift the front end and spin the wheel, does it move rotate a revolution or two with a little bit of 'chhhh chhhh
chhh' sound? If so, =normal. [/QUOTE]

A revolution or two seems more than most dual rotor bikes I've seen. Mine goes about 1/2 a turn???

post #10 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Did you pull the front wheel axle around the same time or at some point just before realizing you had the additional drag?

post #11 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda Addict

Hmmm, if it only goes 1/2 turn sounds like you do have too much drag.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

My $.02
Either push/pry back pistons of calipers, better yet unbolt 'em, & spin whl to see if drag still exists. If not, you got a pad or something hanging up. Possibly rest stops dirty???
If drag still exists then you ned to start looking into axle torque? Forks tweaked/improper alignment???

btw... don't forget to "pump up" brakes before riding.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jratbike
A revolution or two seems more than most dual rotor bikes I've seen. Mine goes about 1/2 a turn???
Warped rotor(s)?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode