BMW R 1200 RT/ K 1200 GT - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 11-01-2007, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

BMW R 1200 RT/ K 1200 GT

A co-worker came in today with his BMW R 1150 RT. I was blown away by how nice this bike is and the comfort of the riding position. Been drooling over the Honda ST1300 for the past few years, and will probably buy a sport touring bike within the next 1-2 years. Never really a BMW fan until recently.

Just wonder if any fellow 919'ers have ridden the BMW R 1200 RT or the 152 HP K 1200 GT? Both beautiful bikes...both a little spendy.

90638593_2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I've owned an ST1300 and ridden the GT and the RT enough to know that for me: GT > ST13 > RT

But for the money the Bandit 1250 blows 'em all away.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 PM
necked 919

Smile My '07 K1200GT

I used my 919 as an ST bike for 3 years and when BMW came out with the new GT I fell in lust...
I then demo’ed the thing in late '06 and that confirmed the fact that I just had to have one, so I saved
my pennies for a year. In April I pulled the trigger, threw down my cash and ordered a new K1200GT with
every option known to the dealer except for the tall windscreen. I also specified the dark side covers
with the color matched top case and the black low heated seats. Needless to say they did not have this
configuration here in the USA so the dealer ordered me a special build.
When it arrived June 9th, I was happier than a pig in slop...

So far it only has 7K miles on the odo, but we have completed four NorCal tours two up on her and I can
truthfully say it is a wonderful machine.

I love my 919 and still use it for commuting and the occasional track day but this GT is super amazing...
The bike is super comfortable, stable at all speeds, awesome brakes and it handles like a dream for such
a big a$$ bike.

Last month on Uvas Rd with loaded bags and wife on the back I had to pass a Yamaha Warrior. This guy
would park it in the corners and then accelerate WOT out of the turns. So I click down to 5th and pass
him on the inside of a left corner (I had a clear view for at least a half mile) and snick it into 6th and then
I kept the throttle pinned until I couldn't stand my wife's screams in the Autocom...
I get home and review the ride on the Garmin and it says max speed = 141mph (post pic later)
Enough said

here are some pics of the girl...

pick up day

PS Even with all my extras this bike was still cheaper than a Harley Geezer Glide (my 2nd choice, cuz I'm an old guy)

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
Hondas: 919Hornet - 750NightHawk - CR250R - TRX400EX - TRX250EX wife's quad
Bultaco Metisse 250 project
BMW K1200GT

post #4 of 19 Old 11-03-2007, 07:05 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Thats a sweet machine, you need to post more pics!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #5 of 19 Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Very nice bike Ray!! I'm happy with a 919 for now, but when I get to doing some longer distance exploring I would love to get a sport touring machine.

post #6 of 19 Old 11-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Before you buy a sport tourer, check out the December 07 Rider magazine for the "Sport Touring Shootout". They test ride the BMW K1200GT, Honda ST1300, new Kawi Concours 14 and the Yami FJR1300A. To make a long story short, here's the conclusion (this is verbatim from the article):

"The unanimous winner of our test was the Honda ST1300, a suprising choice because the bike has been around since 2003 relatively unchanged. Why did it win? While the Honda is a very good all-round bike and does so much well, flaws in the other bikes caused it to win almost by default."

post #7 of 19 Old 11-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

They must be having a party over on st-owners.com, async. Those guys are as diehard as they come. And their bike always seems to come in behind the FJR and GT in those articles. And that was before the C14 rolled out. I've read most of the other shootouts and the C14 seems to be winning them all so I'll be curious to read this one too.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
"The unanimous winner of our test was the Honda ST1300, a suprising choice because the bike has been around since 2003 relatively unchanged. Why did it win? While the Honda is a very good all-round bike and does so much well, flaws in the other bikes caused it to win almost by default."
Then ST must have increased their advertising spending! No way that overweight, outdated beast won a fair debate against the other 3 modern and lighter works of art!

My SO saw a parked GT last night and began dreaming about the comfort of "that rear seat". She sobered some at the high price.
Ray's taunting endorsement is the final straw... time to start a piggy bank.

post #9 of 19 Old 11-03-2007, 01:26 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Nice bike Ray!! I was yearning for a sport tourer all summer, love that K1200GT! My second choice would probably be the FJR, followed by the ST. Haven't ridden any of them, only read the reviews, so my opinion might change once I get serious and start shopping.

post #10 of 19 Old 11-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Ray, very nice. Waiting for more pics and updates. At least you can now say that you made your wife scream on a motorcycle!

post #11 of 19 Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 AM
necked 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Ray, very nice. Waiting for more pics and updates. At least you can now say that you made your wife scream on a motorcycle!
One of the great things about our sport is the solitude the helmet provides... you can really get lost in that moment of Zen with your bike just leaning perfectly through the apex while rolling on the throttle...

and then that voice from the pillion kicks in... "can you please slow down"

POOP... I hate that

I really want her to ride her own...

but that's not going to happen.

PS RC51_CBRXX your avitar is very scarey

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
BMW K1200GT

post #12 of 19 Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
"Sport Touring Shootout". They test ride the BMW K1200GT, Honda ST1300, new Kawi Concours 14...
I sat on a C14! It feels light (615lb dry) and nimble. 175HP at the crank, twin HL, shaft drive, includes hard packs, top rack and ABS for $14k! I met a guy trading in a ST13 for it.

post #13 of 19 Old 11-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

The new Kawi is based on the ZX14.

Spoiler:

post #14 of 19 Old 11-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
The new Kawi is based on the ZX14.
Thanks async! What a ride! It's -$6k of GT, +20HP and a much lower maintenance cost. What's not to love?

post #15 of 19 Old 11-06-2007, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybobb1 View Post
I used my 919 as an ST bike for 3 years and when BMW came out with the new GT I fell in lust...
I then demo’ed the thing in late '06 and that confirmed the fact that I just had to have one, so I saved
my pennies for a year. In April I pulled the trigger, threw down my cash and ordered a new K1200GT with
every option known to the dealer except for the tall windscreen. I also specified the dark side covers
with the color matched top case and the black low heated seats. Needless to say they did not have this
configuration here in the USA so the dealer ordered me a special build.
When it arrived June 9th, I was happier than a pig in slop...

So far it only has 7K miles on the odo, but we have completed four NorCal tours two up on her and I can
truthfully say it is a wonderful machine.

I love my 919 and still use it for commuting and the occasional track day but this GT is super amazing...
The bike is super comfortable, stable at all speeds, awesome brakes and it handles like a dream for such
a big a$$ bike.

Last month on Uvas Rd with loaded bags and wife on the back I had to pass a Yamaha Warrior. This guy
would park it in the corners and then accelerate WOT out of the turns. So I click down to 5th and pass
him on the inside of a left corner (I had a clear view for at least a half mile) and snick it into 6th and then
I kept the throttle pinned until I couldn't stand my wife's screams in the Autocom...
I get home and review the ride on the Garmin and it says max speed = 141mph (post pic later)
Enough said

here are some pics of the girl...

pick up day

PS Even with all my extras this bike was still cheaper than a Harley Geezer Glide (my 2nd choice, cuz I'm an old guy)
Thanks for the information!! Beautiful bike!! I want to test ride that bike!!! Looks to be an amazing combination for BMW with that motor. Anyone know if BMW has demo days?

post #16 of 19 Old 11-07-2007, 06:51 PM
necked 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
Thanks async! What a ride! It's -$6k of GT, +20HP and a much lower maintenance cost. What's not to love?
Oh Yeah........ Be prepared for some crazy BMW service costs if you follow me... those BMW guys know how to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Shawn, that Connie is really sweet... The guys I've talked too and first impressions from just sitting on it... queue Borat voice... Verry Niceee

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
BMW K1200GT

post #17 of 19 Old 11-10-2007, 10:31 PM

The RT is a sweet bike. Bike (UK) magazine had a comparo between the RT, ST, FJR, and KGT, and ranked them in that order.

Some reviews are enamored with quantity HP, giving bikes with the most the nod. Zzzzzz. For the road (Versus track) give me quality HP, and how a bike performs below 100mph. This is where the RT shines.

Reviews are all over the place on this gang. They all are fine bikes.

post #18 of 19 Old 11-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Tesserarius

Cycle mag. did the same comparo, and the Honda got last. The Concourse won with the Yammy second!!!!!

post #19 of 19 Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOBMAN View Post
Cycle mag. did the same comparo, and the Honda got last. The Concourse won with the Yammy second!!!!!
Finally a credible review. I'm curious what they dinged the supreme GT for... besides its stratospheric cost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode