Bled the brakes and now... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Bled the brakes and now...

Hey everyone. I bled both the front and rear brakes a few weeks ago, but now I'm seeing what looks like seapage of fluid around the bleed screw. I tightened it back down to spec, and also stuck a little papertowel inside the bleed screw to soak up some of the fluid, but it still leaks out. Both the lever and pedal still feel firm.

I did notice this; when I put on the little black rubber cover, the fluid seems to bubble out around the threads.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Cris P.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 05:54 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Have yo uclean the living crap out of the bleeder area with brake parts cleaner ? Have you noticed the fluid level dropping ? Sometimes they can become saturated with excess fluid and look like its seeping out -

post #3 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 06:11 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sounds like some fluid left over from the bleeding...It will tend to build up inside the bleed screw and in the rubber cap

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #4 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Wipe the bleed screw(s) squeaky clean as recommended by 2ohno. Is it one or more screws leaking? Most important, never over tighten these bleed screws.

post #5 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

I tightened down the bleed screw to 6ft lbs (had to use a wobble extension on it b/c of the tight space). The rear one is worse compared to the front ones. I guess I didn't get the papertowel down inside the screw far enough. I'll try to clean it up even more. Is this a common issue after bleeding the brakes on this bike?

post #6 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2cmpugh View Post
Is this a common issue after bleeding the brakes on this bike?

Having fluid stuck in that stupid little cap is !

post #7 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Having fluid stuck in that stupid little cap is !
Well mine seems to be coming from the threads and hangs out between the caliper and rubber cap loop thing that is secured to the bleed screw.

Cris P.

post #8 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 11:29 AM
CB900 Hornet

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

It is normal to have some seepage from the bleeder after any bleeding. It's the left over fluid that dances around the threads and center shaft. Clean it meticulously and keep riding.

The only concern to look for now is the gradual increase of brake lever/pedal effort. Then, and only then will you know it is losing brake pressure...well along with the fact that fluid is leaking and dripping out.

But since you have done the procedures correctly, there is nothing to worry about buddy! Ride hard!

post #9 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

Quote:
Well mine seems to be coming from the threads and hangs out between the caliper and rubber cap loop thing that is secured to the bleed screw.

Cris P.
actully if fluid is seaping out then the brake fluid is asorbing water. reducing the effectiveness and boiling point of the fluid. Simultainiusly rusting the piiisss out of the system.

A wobble , universal joint, or extension will reduce the torque to the bleeder.all three used together makes your torque wrench all but useless. PM me if you need assistance.

Your bleeder screw sounds like its not seated properly. Due to lack of torque, contamination or bad seat. First try giving them a LITTLE more torque. If this does not work remove and inspect the bleeder screw seats.Clean the tapered end and seat in the caliper, be quick you will only have so much time before the system runs dry then reinstall.

post #10 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riquefied919 View Post
actully if fluid is seaping out then the brake fluid is asorbing water. reducing the effectiveness and boiling point of the fluid. Simultainiusly rusting the piiisss out of the system.

A wobble , universal joint, or extension will reduce the torque to the bleeder.all three used together makes your torque wrench all but useless. PM me if you need assistance.

Your bleeder screw sounds like its not seated properly. Due to lack of torque, contamination or bad seat. First try giving them a LITTLE more torque. If this does not work remove and inspect the bleeder screw seats.Clean the tapered end and seat in the caliper, be quick you will only have so much time before the system runs dry then reinstall.
Well damnit. I'll try torqueing them down a bit more to see what happens. I never loosened them much at all, just enough to let fluid flow thru. If it is just excess fluid stuck inside the threads and hold leaking out, how much longer will it continue to do so?

Thanks,
Cris P.

post #11 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

I should add that I noticed when I push the little rubber cap back on top it seems to force it out more. Is that a coincidence?

Cris P.

post #12 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
I should add that I noticed when I push the little rubber cap back on top it seems to force it out more. Is that a coincidence?

Cris P.
take a qtip or 5 and dry all the fluid out of the little rubber cap... then pump the brakes with the little cap off.. if there is fluid coming around the bleeder then you have something wrong with the bleeder get a new one.. if if isnt coming out then put the little cap back on after you get all the fluid out of it.. if fluid starts coming out then... then you need someone smarter than me.. its either fluid inside that litttle cap.. or a bad bleeder... or maybe its not tight enough... try to tighten it with a wrench

post #13 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Why would all three be seeping like this? Kinda seems odd that all three bleeders are bad, doesn't it?

Cris P.

post #14 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Why would all three be seeping like this? Kinda seems odd that all three bleeders are bad, doesn't it?

Cris P.
yeah... i think they are either just a touch loose.... or more likely this is a job for captain q-tip

post #15 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
yeah... i think they are either just a touch loose....
I agree. I've never used a torque wrench for bleeders; just a small wrench.

post #16 of 21 Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Resident Viper Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
yeah... i think they are either just a touch loose.... or more likely this is a job for captain q-tip
I agree. I've never had what you described when I've bled my brakes before. I've also never bothered using my torque wrench on them either.

It's hard to be humble at 9 G's.
post #17 of 21 Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

I'll clean them up real good w/ Admiral Q-tip when I get back into town. I do remember this though...when I push and pulled HARD on the pedal and lever, no fluid came out, no bubble, and no seepage. It only seeps when I put on that little black rubber cap back on the bleeder screw.

Cris P.

post #18 of 21 Old 12-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Franklin McGillacutty

Yes I just use the german torque spec " Good-unt-ight" til they stop leaking.

post #19 of 21 Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
I'll clean them up real good w/ Admiral Q-tip when I get back into town. I do remember this though...when I push and pulled HARD on the pedal and lever, no fluid came out, no bubble, and no seepage. It only seeps when I put on that little black rubber cap back on the bleeder screw.

Cris P.
sounds like a job for el senor q-tip

post #20 of 21 Old 12-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

s2cmpugh PM'd me on this (somehow I missed it), and I'll give y'all the cliff notes version of my reply.

When the bleeders are opened, the fluid fills the cavity of the hole where the bleeder threads in pretty much completely, most of which comes out the end of the bleeder. That's most, not all. When the bleeder is tightened down the fluid stays in that cavity and is forced out past the threads when the cap is put on. As the brakes are used the fluid will heat and expand, along with any air trapped under the cap, and continues to work it's way past the threads. To cure this apply some vacuum to the bleeder after tightening it down and the air drawn past the threads will carry fluid with it and out the end of the bleeder. Works pretty well.

As to how tight to run down the bleeders, everyone assumes that 1,000 PSI behind the bleeder requires a lot of tightening to prevent leakage: it just ain't so! While it is 1,000 PSI, the total force trying to push the tapered end of the bleeder away from it's seat is quite small -- with the typical size of the drilling to the bleeder being 2.5 mm, or just under 0.01", the force is well under 10 pounds (hole area of 0.0076 square inches times 1,000 pounds per square inch = 7.6 pounds force applied). Overtightening the bleeders can deform the tapered end, actually crushing down the cross drilling, and after that it doesn't matter how tight you get it: it will never seal. Overtightening can also damage the seat in the caliper, and there is no cure for that other than replacing it. Well, there is a cure, but it's a jury rig, and jury rigging brakes is not advised!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #21 of 21 Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Franklin McGillacutty

you'd have to be one stuot guy to tighten something that tight using a 10mm wrench. With palms of steel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode