bike runs weird? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

bike runs weird?

I have an 04 919. I put ****ty two bros exhaust on and after i did that it started to run rich? i moved to higher elivation and i dont think it helped. When i get my pc3 on i had it dyno tuned by Aarron Clark! He did run pull and made the bike perfect. it wasnt rich and running like a badass. Then he checked his work and it was lean again.. Then a second later ran it again and it was fine?! any ideas on what could cause this? I dont think the pipes would cause this? if so anyone got some satos?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

just my .02 but sounds like a funky power commander.
swapping pipes alone will not make it run rich. if anything, that will lean it out a little. If'n it was me, I'd uninstall the PC then try it out.

post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

it has always ran rich even with out the pc3? do you think i should adjust my valves? i am just now at 15000.?

post #4 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Aquilifer

Funky power commander? as opposed to one that listens to Pat Boone?

good place to start, agreed.

HOWEVER: did the problem start as soon as you moved to higher elevation? is that where you had the dyno tuning performed?

post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda919 View Post
it has always ran rich even with out the pc3? do you think i should adjust my valves? i am just now at 15000.?
yes, they're known to run rich from the factory. Aftermarket pipes allow it to breathe thereby evening it out some. Like Bucky said, tell us more about your symptoms.
I checked my valves at 18k and they were still within spec.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

i bought the bike from an old guy with 4500 miles on it. I ride pretty hard as i live in the canyons. It was perfect when it was stock. As soon as i put the exhaust on it started smoking under pressure and deaccelation. i can feel it somtimes like it has no power and then a minute later it has normal power? it did it before i moved to the canyons and before the pc3

post #7 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Number one rule of modifications: if you do something and the bike starts acting up, that something is the cause 97 times out of 100. Of course the problem may be caused by some tiny thing done wrong, such as trapping a wire bolting a part on that needed to be removed to do the installation, so check everything you did, not just the major stuff!
Frankly it sounds like something is loose in one of the brothers and intermittently partially blocking the flow out one side. Were there any other modifications done concurrently with the cans?
I recommend reinstalling the stock mufflers and uninstalling the PCIII to see if the situation clears up -- if it does you're golden.
By the way, the ECU reads the output of the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor when the key is first turned on and compares that value to a sea level value stored in memory, and uses the difference between the two to compute the altitude it's at when the engine is started, so the system is at least generally altitude compensated.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Aquilifer

almost sounds fuel pressure regulator-y too, but ALWAYS check to see what some foolish non-Honda human did before you go replacing parts.

curious how the plugs look too...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode