Bike Attention and Comments... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Sike

Bike Attention and Comments...

It is interesting to me what people say and what bikes draw attention. My 919 and my wife's 599 drew (draw) a fair amount of attention, and a lot of folks had a confused look, with comments like, "Those look so new for older bikes." My ZRX1200 got the same type of responses. My Ducati Multistrada got a lot of looks, and people either thought it was beautiful or ugly, nobody in between. My ZX10 and Busa get(got) a fair amount of attention, and folks always ask, "Is that fast?" My new WR250X is getting a ton of attention, and most people are a little confused, "Is that street legal?" However, motorcyle knowledgable folks are also very curious and what to know how I like it.

What kind of "interesting" commentary have you folks had over time?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 04:30 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

had people dismiss my bike with comments to friends like " oh that's nothing. its not a real bike"

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #3 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
had people dismiss my bike with comments to friends like " oh that's nothing. its not a real bike"
In my experience those comments have tended to come from folks that think having a Hardly in your garage that goes to the bar or the hardly shop is motorcycling. Or, a Duc that goes to the latte shop. Real bikes are the bikes that are ridden, not looked at.

post #4 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 04:42 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
In my experience those comments have tended to come from folks that think having a Hardly in your garage that goes to the bar or the hardly shop is motorcycling. Or, a Duc that goes to the latte shop. Real bikes are the bikes that are ridden, not looked at.
agreed. That specific comment came from a 'busa rider when we showed up at Buffalo Wild Wings and they were all standing around outside. His woman asked what me and my friend were riding(919s) and he commented poorly towards us.

Despite that he and all his friends have huge chicken strips and streched bikes.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #5 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

My 02' matte black has been mistaken for rattle can primer. Hey man "when are you going to get that ugly thing painted?"

post #6 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 05:23 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Occasionally I'll have my buddy give me a ride out to the Honda shop during lunch. I'm trying him into buying something, ANYTHING. We walk around the showroom and he'll eventually see a used 919 sitting there and finally say, "Dog, that really is the most balanced, best overall looking bike in this place."

I just shake my head, "I tried to tell ya..."

fwiw, I think he's now settling on the sv650 for his first bike. Everything I've read or heard says this is a great first bike.

post #7 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Discen

my green 9r i was meeting group of locals and one guy drove up and started looking at all the bikes....he stops at mine and goes why did you put honda stickers on your kawasaki. i said, nope it is a green honda. 10 minutes later he was ready to fight insisting it was a kawasaki. i showed him the vin tag, all the other stickers and registration....he just walked away mad.

also having on 2 other occasions say mine is the honda out there, no one can find it, because they look see the green and figure kawasaki.

but when someone knows it is a honda, they love the bike.

post #8 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 05:46 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I got a lot of comments about my 1998 Triumph Trident 900. A lot of them were older guys who saw me in a parking lot or at the gas station and noticed the Triumph badge. They would reminisce (spelling?) about their 1950's triumphs and we would have good discussions. I would tell them about Triumph "rebirth".
I have not really had any comments from other riders about my 919. My friends really like it though.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #9 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Gin's yellow 599 draws far more attention than my blacked out 919. I rarely get any comments from anyone on the 919, although most riders around these parts are on Harleys or Hayabusas and neither will acknowledge a Honda naked bike.

I've gotten good feedback several times on the FJR, usually from older guys. Read into that what you will.

Have been told the XR looks like fun a few times.

post #10 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 PM

Kids think my Speed Triple is cool

Older non-bikers think Triumph went out of business years ago, I tell them the re-birth tale.

Regular bikers want to talk details, or just tell me how much better /faster theirs is.

Harley drivers ignore me

post #11 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Optio

Garage
I often get " Nice bike, I always wondered what those looked like in real life" and " How can you ride around with no fairing?". That's why I like the bike so much, its different. Although a fairing would be nice in April and October when I'm riding around in 5-10 degree celcius weather.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #12 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I get a lot of "Nice bike" comments. I had a little kid run up to me once and ask "Cool, is that a Ducati?" He looked broken hearted when I told him it was a Honda. Another guy asked me once if it was a Monster.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #13 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post

fwiw, I think he's now settling on the sv650 for his first bike. Everything I've read or heard says this is a great first bike.
I can tell you, without a doubt, the SV with a RICOR suspension is faster in high-speed turns than my 919. RICOR let me test an SV650 against my own bike. With crappy tires, I was still 10 mph faster through the turns on the SV. I'm talking about 70-90 mph turns. The SV is easily quicker through the slower turns.

I wish the 919 suspension was scheduled to be upgraded to the Inertia Valve system technology, but, there just doesn't seem to be the interest that would make it practical from a business standpoint. That's too bad, because if I can't get that technology on my 919, I just might trade it for something that they will be making it for. It's that much better than anything else I've ridden...

post #14 of 59 Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

ask hopegrabowski about the attention her Can Am brings. she gets annoyed by it.

Spoiler:
post #15 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 AM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

My Husky SM gets all kinds of attention from every kind of bike rider. From the old guys that rode them in the 60s and 70s to sportbikers that never have seen a Motard even to the Harley guys that wonder WTF that is and is it street legal.

The XX would get alot of looks, simply because she was so sexy and the RC, well EVERYONE knows about those bikes!

Playing hooligan on a 08 Husky SM610 and WR250X.

Making dream homes come true! Virginia Beach Remodeling

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat
post #16 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Tirone

I showed up at a buddies house one morning for a planned long day's ride (New Years Day loop of Lake Okeechobee). I was riding my new to me '04 BMW Rockster, flat black with lime green accents.

When he and his wife walk outta the house and he see's my bike, he blurts out "Why in the world did you buy such an ugly bike?".

We all had a good laugh and got on with our day.

I've had lots of positive comments on that bike as well, so it all balances out, I guess.

RB

post #17 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I've had a lot of folks as me if the Hurricane is a new bike.

I've had a lot of folks ask me "What is that thing?" if I'm on the fightered F3.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #18 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 04:12 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I used to get the "what is that?" all the time with the 919. It was fun and always drew a crowd. Now with the vfr I mostly get "that's beautiful, and how fast is it? *(more than fast enough)

But I notice now the vfr gets stares. It is one sexy bike. And as I said before "it stirs my soul". The more I ride it the more I love it. My only issues having been the stuck injectors and the heat problem. (which I have pretty much got under control. They just run hot like the rc51s do.)

post #19 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 04:36 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
My 02' matte black has been mistaken for rattle can primer. Hey man "when are you going to get that ugly thing painted?"
With my grey '03 I get "What color is it going to be?"

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #20 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 04:41 AM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I've had a lot of folks as me if the Hurricane is a new bike.

I've had a lot of folks ask me "What is that thing?" if I'm on the fightered F3.

That HAS to feel good!

post #21 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Ballaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
Occasionally I'll have my buddy give me a ride out to the Honda shop during lunch. I'm trying him into buying something, ANYTHING. We walk around the showroom and he'll eventually see a used 919 sitting there and finally say, "Dog, that really is the most balanced, best overall looking bike in this place."

I just shake my head, "I tried to tell ya..."

sv is a great first bike. i learned on mine, tracked mine, put 20,000 miles on it and still got 3800 when i sold it

post #22 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 06:37 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

a dirty bike is a ridden bike

post #23 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Unbannable

Women just throw their underwear at me. Makes it hard to ride sometimes.

post #24 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

My wife & I went out on the RD400 & the VTR250 on Saturday and we had more people walk up to us in one day asking about the bikes than we have in the last year on the GSXR or 848

post #25 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
My wife & I went out on the RD400 & the VTR250 on Saturday and we had more people walk up to us in one day asking about the bikes than we have in the last year on the GSXR or 848
The old bikes generate so many questions and comments from people, its not even fun/welcoming to hear it anymore. Not that I don't appreciate the compliments but sometimes you just want to zone out under your visor.

"Hey, what year is that?"
"So did you buy it new?"
"Did you restore that?"

stop lights
gas stations
parking lots
driving on the road yelling to you

especially if you have two old ones riding together...

post #26 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Immune

On the 919 I tend to get people that are curious about it just because they had never heard of it or seen one. One Harley guy said "if I ever bought a Jap bike it would be that one!". One clown asked what happened to the bodywork/plastics and then he really didn't seem to understand there never was any. My favorite incident was a 50ish, very large man that jumped out of a dump truck and asked me if I wanted to sell it when I was stopped in a construction zone - said he had been looking but couldn't find a nice clean one like mine.

I get a lot of people admiring the '75 CB125 (avatar). I always like it when I pull into a gas station in NJ where all stations are still full service (law prohibits self service). The Indian guys (99% of the pumpers in NJ seem to be Indian) often gather around saying things like they hadn't seen such a bike since they were back home where they are very common - they always seem quite amused.

post #27 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #28 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspiece919 View Post
ask hopegrabowski about the attention her Can Am brings. she gets annoyed by it.
+1

On the way to Winston, there was one stop out of about 5 that did not involve someone asking about the Spyder. I've never seen anything like it. Women, men, everybody!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #29 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
yeah... those amish chicks wear panties that look like parachutes....

or is it that the stick to the visor???

post #30 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I was riding home from work a few months ago and was stopped at a light when a homeless guy jumped off the curb so he was standing right next to me, and started waving his hands and enthusiastically asking questions with an ear to ear grin:

"WOW! is that thing really a Honda?"

"That thing is gorgeous, when did Honda start making bikes like this?"

"Is it new? I've never seen a bike like that before"

"I just can't believe that's a Honda...."

It was almost like seeing a kid at Christmas, his eyes were huge and he couldn't believe what he was seeing. I got a pretty good laugh out of that.

post #31 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
I was riding home from work a few months ago and was stopped at a light when a homeless guy jumped off the curb so he was standing right next to me, and started waving his hands and enthusiastically asking questions with an ear to ear grin:

"WOW! is that thing really a Honda?"

"That thing is gorgeous, when did Honda start making bikes like this?"

"Is it new? I've never seen a bike like that before"

"I just can't believe that's a Honda...."

It was almost like seeing a kid at Christmas, his eyes were huge and he couldn't believe what he was seeing. I got a pretty good laugh out of that.
...and THEN he asked you for money?

post #32 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 02:43 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc919er View Post
...and THEN he asked you for money?
He never even got that far! He was still gushing over my bike when the light changed and I rode off laughing.

post #33 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 03:40 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Never any feedback on the looks of my bike, or at all. Apparently it's invisible

post #34 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 PM
h8tenhogs

i have had this asked many times maybee because people in western new york cant read .wait they can read maybe they are stupid or lazy.they all want to know what size is it.i just point to the rear of the bike.the look on there face is priceless.so i took off the stickers and now i never get that anymore. I will be painting the bike this winterAnd am open to suggestions.I still think black is fastest.

post #35 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeriley View Post
i have had this asked many times maybee because people in western new york cant read .wait they can read maybe they are stupid or lazy.they all want to know what size is it.i just point to the rear of the bike.the look on there face is priceless.so i took off the stickers and now i never get that anymore. I will be painting the bike this winterAnd am open to suggestions.I still think black is fastest.
Put a number slightly larger than the Rocket 3 and tell folks it is the largest production motorcyle engine being made. Just a thought!!!

post #36 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Milites Gregarius

Last comment I got on the 919 was, "Wow, you still have that thing?" Sad, huh?

Most recent inquiry I received while riding the CBR was, "Do you know how fast you were going back there?" Very fortunately, it ended with, "You guys just take it easy and ride safe."

post #37 of 59 Old 09-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

I always get the same thing when riding the Turbo - Some dude sportin a mullet and wearin a Dale Earnhart tanktop shouts "Whoa - a gpz Turbo! You don't see those anymore!"

When I had a 919, cute young girls smiled at me regularly, which just goes to show cute young girls don't know ANYTHING about bikes.

post #38 of 59 Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Tirone

The Valk always gets attention, and it's mostly good.
I'm always up for a Hardly Madeitson debate. Then I just do the nickle trick. They shut up then.

post #39 of 59 Old 09-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6drgn View Post
The Valk always gets attention, and it's mostly good.
I'm always up for a Hardly Madeitson debate. Then I just do the nickle trick. They shut up then.

post #40 of 59 Old 09-22-2009, 01:47 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

I'm guessing he can balance a nickel on the tank while it's running. Try that on a Harley.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode