Big scare & Tires - BT-021 FYI - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Big scare & Tires - BT-021 FYI

All,

Had the biggest scare to date returning home from work (45 mile one-way) on Monday nite!! GOT A FLAT moving @ about 75mph. Fortunately my guardian angel was w/ me & I had enough time and space to get to the hard shoulder. Yep, an expensive tow home ($80 hook-up + $4/mile). Anyway, it turns out, an old tire repair plug......popped-out. The plug lasted about 8K miles.

So, the other reason for this thread is that I had installed the BT-021's (front & rear) as my first change from the stock tires (8K) and got about 13.5K miles from them. Yeah, I don't ride hard, but ride as much as I can, commute and pleasure. So the tires were ready for a change anyway. The plan is to go with BT-023's next , so stay tuned for mileage updates.

I have just over 21K on a 2007 (purchased June of 2008).

Peace and ride safe!!

Happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do.

01 Honda Spirit 750
03 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
03 HD VROD
06 Honda VFR
07 Honda 919
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 08:25 AM
The Cripple

glad u made it man. flat tires are NEVER fun.

post #3 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Le So Cal Troll

this is why you dont plug motorcycle tires... glad everything came out ok.... was it front or rear?

post #4 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
this is why you dont plug motorcycle tires... glad everything came out ok.... was it front or rear?
Absolutely!

...... changed to a BT-16 front, and the BT-23 rear..... Probably have around 5,000 miles on them so far --- still looking good. I really like 23's alot.

I am an agressive rider and like to ride the corners.... once up to temp, even on hard drives out of a corner....I have yet to experience any sort of slipping..... I have noticed that during agressive braking at speed if I'm not careful its easy to overcome the rear's ability to grip --- but this is on the harder part of the tire.....

I will however for track days & Deal's Gap..... swap the 23 out for my other rim that has a 16 mounted.

post #5 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Discen

BT23 is superior in every respect measured against BT21 !

OT.: Arctic954 - why mix a sport (BT16) front tire, with a touring (BT23) tire ?!?!? it's two different worlds who meet each other here - BT16 has a much more "peaky" profile, in order to "supply" maximum rubber contact during cornering, While BT23 is more round in it's profile, to guarantee a solid all-around touring tire.
A mix of these two types of tires, will mean a discordant motorcycle which in this case will feel sluggish over the rear (and yes I have tried this mix)

post #6 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Princeps Prior

We all have different opinions on tires, to each his own..... thats ok.

....We do both agree though, that the BT-23 is a good tire.

post #7 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 10:39 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Sure you do! To get home. But now you knew that!

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #8 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Aquilifer

I've plugged a dozen tires over the past 20 years and never had an issue.

I've ran a plugged BT056 on my Hayabusa for a few thousand miles, not being ginger with the throttle.

My guess is your plug wasn't inserted all the way, or you got very unlucky.

I did get a bolt in my 023 on my Triumph earlier this year that I could not plug with my normal "rope" plugs. I took it to a shop where they took the tire off and patched it from the inside. That tire has 5500 miles on it and looks great.

( I can't believe the mileage I'm getting out of the 023's.)

post #9 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Glad to hear you put her to a stop safely!!

Patched tires..I for one will chuck a $150 tire with good amounts of thread if it gets a puncture. To me, it's not about whether the tire will dish out another 5k miles with a patch. When I'm about to go into a corner or I'm overtaking that semi on a two-lane highway, the last thing I want on the back of my mind is a patch work from 3,000 miles ago. To each his own though!

post #10 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 12:06 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
I've plugged a dozen tires over the past 20 years and never had an issue.

I've ran a plugged BT056 on my Hayabusa for a few thousand miles, not being ginger with the throttle.

My guess is your plug wasn't inserted all the way, or you got very unlucky.

I did get a bolt in my 023 on my Triumph earlier this year that I could not plug with my normal "rope" plugs. I took it to a shop where they took the tire off and patched it from the inside. That tire has 5500 miles on it and looks great.

( I can't believe the mileage I'm getting out of the 023's.)
You raise a good point about the internal patching.
If I was to fix a flat (have not had to yet) my thinking is to do both a plug and an inside patch.
I would only rely on a plug long enough to get somewhere to have the patch done next.

post #11 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oy05 View Post
BT23 is superior in every respect measured against BT21 !

OT.: Arctic954 - why mix a sport (BT16) front tire, with a touring (BT23) tire ?!?!? it's two different worlds who meet each other here - BT16 has a much more "peaky" profile, in order to "supply" maximum rubber contact during cornering, While BT23 is more round in it's profile, to guarantee a solid all-around touring tire.
A mix of these two types of tires, will mean a discordant motorcycle which in this case will feel sluggish over the rear (and yes I have tried this mix)
I called Bridgestone today and asked for one of their motocycle tire tech's. Turns out the guy track-days a 919 with Bridgestone tires.... I was told that the BT-16 front, BT-23 rear combination was a great combo and that he had been recommending this to others that called in. He mentioned that both models have similar tire profiles and don't cause any major handling problems. (he did however mention some of the other older models did cause these issues) He went on to say.....that they have been doing some testing on the BT-23 within their office, and that the tire is even proving to be an excellent track-day tire for anybody that rides within the intermediate riding group.

I've run that BT-23 pretty darn hard....and have NEVER had it slip.....but, didn't expect to hear that directly from Bridgestone. Cool stuff.

Take this info as you wish.

post #12 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Pilus Posterior

It is not uncommon to run a sport front and a sport-touring rear - the reason is to keep a very sticky front for ultimate grip (front tyre slides are not fun!) and a harder rear for better wear.

In some ways this is becoming redundant with the new multi compound tyres available with sticky edges PR2, Angel etc

I may try a set of BT16's if my PR2's ever wear out!

post #13 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 02:54 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I always carry an emergency tire repair kit with co2. Even with a few lbs of air you can get home. They used to be a speciel patch with a pig tail to plug and patch. It keeps junk outa the hole. I forgot the name of it. Also there are some arrow head plugs, they go in but, don't come out.
http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/mercha...ct_Code=12-213

[
post #14 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
I called Bridgestone today and asked for one of their motocycle tire tech's. Turns out the guy track-days a 919 with Bridgestone tires.... I was told that the BT-16 front, BT-23 rear combination was a great combo and that he had been recommending this to others that called in. He mentioned that both models have similar tire profiles and don't cause any major handling problems. (he did however mention some of the other older models did cause these issues) He went on to say.....that they have been doing some testing on the BT-23 within their office, and that the tire is even proving to be an excellent track-day tire for anybody that rides within the intermediate riding group.

I've run that BT-23 pretty darn hard....and have NEVER had it slip.....but, didn't expect to hear that directly from Bridgestone. Cool stuff.

Take this info as you wish.
I guess there's some difference between Bridgestone usa and us - I use to work for Bridgestone here in DK., and as a rule of thump, we did never endorse this mix of tires ! (only did't so when talking to owner's of the old Blade's with 16' front wheel)
Just take a look at the profile of those to tires - there's a world of difference, BT23 round and "mild", BT16 edgy and tend to look narrow to allow maximum rubber to be in contact while cornering.
Let me ask - have you tried BT16 in the rear, and front at the same time, and what difference did it make to the bike...?
But I'll agree - within the intermediate group, I see no reason not to go with the BT23.
90% of all will have the best tire in the BT23, don't need great amount of heat to work, but heat up quick, hold's the heat just fine, when stressed - no sudden slides, just nice and easy when it goes, works also quite nice in the wet's - and give you mile after mile.
The remaining 10% will have the bike, that can put the needed amount of heat into the BT16, and keep doing so, and last but not least - remember they ride with a tire, that need's heat to work properly

Remember - if you don't have the bike, or what ever it takes to heat sports tires up - then don't go for them, buy Angel's, 2CT, BT23 Conti wht'ever'the'name'is, you will be much better of with this choice

By the way - if you want sticky tire's, try the BT003RS, road legal semi slick tire, remember tire warmers

Here's some track day pictures from the presentation of the BT003RS and BT16 in Denmark

post #15 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Princeps Prior

I have a BT16 mounted to another rear rim......I'm able to do a side by side, back to back comparison. Must be a different tire profile here in the US.

post #16 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 05:17 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

If you're going to patch a tire, make sure it mounts from the inside like the type pictured below. I've used this type on both Motorcycles and Racecars with 100% success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tire patch.jpg (61.9 KB, 4 views)

Professional
post #17 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by carib919 View Post
tire repair plug......popped-out. !!
Thats how it happens, only took once to get me not to patch a tire ever again I don't care if it works 99 percent of the time. it does fail sometimes and it SUCKS, bad. I just buy a new tire now...

post #18 of 22 Old 10-27-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanx for all the input, much appreciated. To answer nd4spdbh, it was the rear tire.

So now I have all new rubber, BT-023's. I'll post the mileage updates every so often.

Peace and ride safe.

Happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do.

01 Honda Spirit 750
03 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
03 HD VROD
06 Honda VFR
07 Honda 919
post #19 of 22 Old 10-27-2010, 04:43 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
If you're going to patch a tire, make sure it mounts from the inside like the type pictured below. I've used this type on both Motorcycles and Racecars with 100% success.
What are these things ?
Never seen anything like it.
Looks rather intriguing.

post #20 of 22 Old 10-28-2010, 09:59 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
What are these things ?
Never seen anything like it.
Looks rather intriguing.
It's a type of mushroom plug. You can get them at PEP Boys or various places online. The trick is to prep the inside of the tire properly. It's critical that you remove any ribs or bumps from the inside surface of the tire in the area where the patch is going to get glued to it. They work because they mount from the inside with no chance of it coming out.

Professional
post #21 of 22 Old 10-29-2010, 02:14 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
yea 8000 miles with out a problem, now i see

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #22 of 22 Old 10-29-2010, 03:28 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

RE: hasbeenracer

That's the patches I meant, they are super.

[

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode