Bi-xenon on the 9er - Wrist Twisters
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 10-07-2007, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
919er
 
MajorNickmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Provo, UT
Posts: 350
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Bi-xenon on the 9er

Has anyone installed this http://www.xenonking.com/Mcculloch-6...otorcycle.html (or something similar) on the 919? All the Honda parts, mechanics, and sales guys I ride with weekly have this setup on their 600RR's and it makes for some great late night canyon rides--minus the kamikaze deer and racoons.
Don't knock HID's until you've seen them compared to the 919 OEM light, it's night and day difference, forgive the pun. I have a PCIII and a Speedo Healer already under my seat...not much room left to mount the ballast too. Any ideas?
I thought about mounting it on the front of the gauges...

Life's too short to put ugly chics on bikes
http://www.YourAutoWingman.com
MajorNickmo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 49 Old 10-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,109
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I bet it's bright, but it won't work with my beloved modulator.

dream is offline  
post #3 of 49 Old 10-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped
 
xrmikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,909
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

At a $179.00 for the single & $279.00 for a double it's a good deal.
I run dual HID's on my off road bike & there is no comparison to the output.
The only down side to some is the lack of high/low beam selection.
I like being able to hit the high beam in corners to see further into & around the turn.
If you set up your beam pattern to hit somewhere in the middle of both beam patterns you should be good to go.
Just get ready for flashing from on coming drivers.
Someone on here did the conversion & they loved it.
I was just waiting for a good price on a unit.
I think you found it for me.

xrmikey is offline  
post #4 of 49 Old 10-07-2007, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
919er
 
MajorNickmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Provo, UT
Posts: 350
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
At a $179.00 for the single & $279.00 for a double it's a good deal.
I run dual HID's on my off road bike & there is no comparison to the output.
The only down side to some is the lack of high/low beam selection.
I like being able to hit the high beam in corners to see further into & around the turn.
If you set up your beam pattern to hit somewhere in the middle of both beam patterns you should be good to go.
Just get ready for flashing from on coming drivers.
Someone on here did the conversion & they loved it.
I was just waiting for a good price on a unit.
I think you found it for me.
The "double"s simply allow you to have a high and a low beam--which is required here to pass safety inspections

Everyone flashes the 600RR's because they have TWO of the double's, when they have their high beams on it's noon day!

I agree, great price, free shipping and I've seen a dozen of them already in use, the 6000K look great and make all the difference in the world. I went riding today--it's getting really cold here quick... might have to be small winter project that I won't get to use until the spring.

Life's too short to put ugly chics on bikes
http://www.YourAutoWingman.com
MajorNickmo is offline  
post #5 of 49 Old 10-07-2007, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
919er
 
MajorNickmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Provo, UT
Posts: 350
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Anyone want to contact them for a GROUP BUY???

Life's too short to put ugly chics on bikes
http://www.YourAutoWingman.com
MajorNickmo is offline  
post #6 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 06:09 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
ajcombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,801
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

at 100 bucks a bulb how long do they last?? Shorter, longer, or the same as factory?

ajcombs is offline  
post #7 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Immune
 
frikjmaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 302
Rep Power: 1
 
They can last for thousands and thousands of hours, and they use less power too once theyve warmed up, only 35w compared to a halogen's 55; however, the light output is three times what a halogen bulb can do. The issue I see for our bikes is that when you turn on the key the light comes on too, even if you wait for the bulb to finish warming up before you start the motor the starter is still going to flicker the bulb when you hit the starter button which is really bad for the ballast. Ideally you could wire it up so that it the bulb doesnt turn on until the motor is running (my kawi 6r is wired this way) that should help all that out alot.

Also I've got HIDs on the 6r and they are amazing for night riding, if you do even a little night riding you should def have them!!

Erik
2005 Honda 919

I've got a lot of places to see! (on the bike) :-)
frikjmaser is offline  
post #8 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Duckin' for cover..
 
SoCal919's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. California
Posts: 460
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

From the site:
(5) Are these HID light systems street legal?

NO XENON HID conversion kit available from any source is DOT approved if installed outside of the factory. Moreover, in the U.S, this is not street legal for use on public roads. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for buyers who violate the terms of sale while in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.


Never had to do a bike inspection but if these pass inspection, must not be too tough.

Having said that, I would love to try these out. Being a lower wattage than stock, there should not be a heat problem as with some other bulb upgrades.

SoCal919 is offline  
post #9 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Tirone
 
MisterB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 86
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorNickmo View Post
Has anyone installed this http://www.xenonking.com/Mcculloch-6...otorcycle.html (or something similar) on the 919? All the Honda parts, mechanics, and sales guys I ride with weekly have this setup on their 600RR's and it makes for some great late night canyon rides--minus the kamikaze deer and racoons.
Don't knock HID's until you've seen them compared to the 919 OEM light, it's night and day difference, forgive the pun. I have a PCIII and a Speedo Healer already under my seat...not much room left to mount the ballast too. Any ideas?
I thought about mounting it on the front of the gauges...
What size of buld do you order for the 919?

MisterB is offline  
post #10 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Corner speed sets u free
 
streakin919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,115
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikjmaser View Post
The issue I see for our bikes is that when you turn on the key the light comes on too, even if you wait for the bulb to finish warming up before you start the motor the starter is still going to flicker the bulb when you hit the starter button which is really bad for the ballast.
This is important and will shorten the life of the unit. I had factory installed HIDs on one of my cages and they were adamant about not turning them on and off rapidly. Would be nice if we can figure out a way to modify the bike so that the light doesn’t come on until the engine fired up.

streakin919 is offline  
post #11 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
 
darkace625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,651
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

How hard is it to install on the 9er? As in do you have to modify the actual headlight assembly or are you just able to install the bulb?

About the headlight turning on once the engine is on: I have been toying with the idea of installing a headlight cut off switch on the bike. Mainly because going through the base gate I would like to turn my headlight off (I always turn off the headlights on my car when going through). A comfortable gate gaurd is a nice gate guard. I am sure a cut off switch wouldn't be too hard to wire in.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
darkace625 is offline  
post #12 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped
 
xrmikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,909
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

A simple on/off switch to the ground would be fine.

Also you would order the H4 bulb.

I don't see how a "double" bulb would work.
HID's are one bulb one ballast. no high/low option.
They are a gas, not a filament.
In order to have a high & low beam you would need two completely separate units.

xrmikey is offline  
post #13 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Optio
 
9nineteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles (Newhall)
Posts: 842
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
A simple on/off switch to the ground would be fine.

Also you would order the H4 bulb.

I don't see how a "double" bulb would work.
HID's are one bulb one ballast. no high/low option.
They are a gas, not a filament.
In order to have a high & low beam you would need two completely separate units.

Retrofitting a 2003/2004 599 double bulb (H11 bulbs) headlight onto the 919 will work. I'm doing the 599 headlight conversion. Now you guys have me thinking about HID.

9nineteen is offline  
post #14 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Duckin' for cover..
 
SoCal919's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. California
Posts: 460
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
A simple on/off switch to the ground would be fine.

Also you would order the H4 bulb.

I don't see how a "double" bulb would work.
HID's are one bulb one ballast. no high/low option.
They are a gas, not a filament.
In order to have a high & low beam you would need two completely separate units.
This site talks about how they use one bulb to produce hi/low using a magnetic shutter inside the bulb. Xenonrider.com

And I was reading on another board where this same company sells through ebay for substantially less than on their main site.

SoCal919 is offline  
post #15 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 04:04 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
 
darkace625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,651
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
A simple on/off switch to the ground would be fine.

Also you would order the H4 bulb.

I don't see how a "double" bulb would work.
HID's are one bulb one ballast. no high/low option.
They are a gas, not a filament.
In order to have a high & low beam you would need two completely separate units.
I looked up bi-xenon on dictionary.com, and it lead me to the a land rover glossary page. Bi-xenon headlamps use a single xenon lamp to produce both the high beam and the low beam. The full light output is used to produce the high beam, while the low beam is formed by moving a shutter between the bulb and the lens, thus blocking off a portion of the light.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
darkace625 is offline  
post #16 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 04:48 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
 
darkace625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,651
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal919 View Post
From the site:
(5) Are these HID light systems street legal?

NO XENON HID conversion kit available from any source is DOT approved if installed outside of the factory. Moreover, in the U.S, this is not street legal for use on public roads. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for buyers who violate the terms of sale while in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.


Never had to do a bike inspection but if these pass inspection, must not be too tough.

Having said that, I would love to try these out. Being a lower wattage than stock, there should not be a heat problem as with some other bulb upgrades.
www.xenondepot.com says that their DOT approved HID kits are street legal.

Are these XENON HID light systems street legal?

Every jurisdiction has its own rules and regulations governing the use of automotive lighting. XENON HID lighting systems that are supplied with the vehicles from the factory are DOT approved.

NO XENON HID conversion kit available from any source is DOT approved if installed outside of the factory. Moreover, in the U.S, this is not street legal for use on public roads. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for buyers who violate the terms of sale while in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.

Our DOT approved line of HID products are completely street legal and are S.A.E approved.


Also:
How long will these bulbs last?

HID XENON lamps are designed to last for the life of your vehicle. They will run for approx 2500 hours. Our lamp kits and bulbs are made of the finest materials available.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
darkace625 is offline  
post #17 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Ohhhhh Bi-Xenon!!



Thought the Warrior Princess was finally out

marylandmike is offline  
post #18 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Duckin' for cover..
 
SoCal919's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. California
Posts: 460
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Funny how they are using the exact same language on multiple sites. Makes me think we are seeing one dealer operating under a bunch of names. But it still boils down to unless it was OEM for that vehicle it is not street legal. The same holds true for most aftermarket exhaust systems. If you don't usually attract attention you will probably be ok (YMMV). Ricky Racer on the other hand, the cops are just itching for any excuse to look at.

Save your old parts (1 bulb? lol) so as to be able to revert if the need arises.

SoCal919 is offline  
post #19 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 07:23 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
 
darkace625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,651
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Yeah, but xenon depot says underneath the little paragraph (which is what they were given to state by the govt) that theirs are DOT and street legal. I sent them an e-mail enquiring about this so hopefully I will hear back within a day or two.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
darkace625 is offline  
post #20 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped
 
xrmikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,909
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Thanks for the info guys.
I haven't been to up on the newer technology for HID lighting.
It sounds like the optimum set up for the 919.
Only question remains is how well does it hold up to the High/low cycling.
For a $145.00 I just might try it.

xrmikey is offline  
post #21 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped
 
xrmikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,909
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal919 View Post
This site talks about how they use one bulb to produce hi/low using a magnetic shutter inside the bulb. Xenonrider.com

And I was reading on another board where this same company sells through ebay for substantially less than on their main site.
Interesting how Xenonrider.com only wants Pay Pal payment only.
I don't think I will deal with them. I don't like dealing with company's that don't have an actual address to go to.

xrmikey is offline  
post #22 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Duckin' for cover..
 
SoCal919's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. California
Posts: 460
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I hear you, it's like dealing with a company that uses a Hotmail email address for customer correspondence.

SoCal919 is offline  
post #23 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Ben
 
HondaStreetfigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,392
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Well I've got the Sylvania Silverstar and it's the best you can get cuz Chuck Norris says so.

2 > 4
HondaStreetfigh is offline  
post #24 of 49 Old 10-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,109
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post
Well I've got the Sylvania Silverstar and it's the best you can get cuz Chuck Norris says so.
Plus that one can plug into a modulator and save your life!

dream is offline  
post #25 of 49 Old 10-09-2007, 11:59 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
 
darkace625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,651
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Got an e-mail back from a guy named Steve from xenon depot. He said nothing they have is DOT approved or street legal.

Did I read their website wrong?

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
darkace625 is offline  
post #26 of 49 Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,109
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
Got an e-mail back from a guy named Steve from xenon depot. He said nothing they have is DOT approved or street legal.
Too bad they skipped the vital certification step. That will keep them in the rogue category.

dream is offline  
post #27 of 49 Old 11-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Tirone
 
mee2yoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 50
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I don't understand why the bi-xenon HID light set up would not be DOT approved when so many newer cagers come stock with these setups? I do believe that I, too, will be making this conversion soon. When I do the mod, I will pass on the info...including the light switch question.

Ride Red or Go Home!!!
mee2yoo is offline  
post #28 of 49 Old 03-25-2008, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
919er
 
MajorNickmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Provo, UT
Posts: 350
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Bump...anybody done this yet???

As for the legality...do you really think that the guy doing inspections, who barely speaks english, is really going to know if your bike retro fitted with an HID kit, came from the factory that way or not? I think we all know the answer to that. And I got news for ya, I told him the double layer of Blue Lamin-x tint on my headlight cover was "factory" and he believed me even after he attempted to peel it off and saw that it clearly was aftermarket...you are giving these guys way too much credit. On top of that, none of the guys I ride with have ever been pulled over because of their HID lights. And believe me we have passed many a LEO on our rides.

Life's too short to put ugly chics on bikes
http://www.YourAutoWingman.com
MajorNickmo is offline  
post #29 of 49 Old 03-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,109
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorNickmo View Post
Bump...anybody done this yet???

As for the legality...do you really think that the guy doing inspections, who barely speaks english, is really going to know if your bike retro fitted with an HID kit, came from the factory that way or not? I think we all know the answer to that. And I got news for ya, I told him the double layer of Blue Lamin-x tint on my headlight cover was "factory" and he believed me even after he attempted to peel it off and saw that it clearly was aftermarket...you are giving these guys way too much credit. On top of that, none of the guys I ride with have ever been pulled over because of their HID lights. And believe me we have passed many a LEO on our rides.
You make many great points there! Considering the risk we face anything that helps us be visible is great. Go for it! I use the night rider enduro HID helmet lamp for cycling and love it! Please post up install pix/review.

dream is offline  
post #30 of 49 Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Old, Bold rider
 
robtharalson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 2,354
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The reason HID bulb installations into halogen reflectors are not DOT approved is the HID arc bulbs produce a single kernel of light as opposed to the horizontal fore-aft aligned pattern from a filament. That, and the light does not necessarily correspond to the focal point of the paraboloidal reflector, causing quite a bit of random scatter right into the eyes of oncoming vehicles. "So what," you may say, "they still see me!" T'aint necessarily so. Dark adapted eyes are flooded with an enzyme that increases the sensitivity of the rods (low light receptors) and slightly inhibits the cones (bright and color receptors), substantially increasing night visual acuity. When a dark adapted eye is struck with a bright light the rods are overloaded, essentially washing out vision altogether, and a blind driver especially on a twisty road is a very dangerous driver. There are many documented accidents caused by headlight blinded drivers running into the source of light, in this case your motorcycle. The fact that your vision is improved will only make sure you see the grille of that car just before it hits you.
The only HID headlights that are DOT approved are complete assemblies including the reflector optimized for the light source, either from an auto or headlight manufacturer specifically for a particular vehicle.
Am I just being a curmudgeon? Hardly. It has become fashionable up here in the Malibu hills for cars to run the roads as fast as possible at night, and nearly all have HID conversions. Several times I have had to pull over to let my vision clear and hear laughter from the cars as they go by. I say hear because visually the world was a wash of blue/white. If I didn't know where the road goes I'd have ended up at the bottom of a canyon. I refuse to do this to anyone, so will stick to halogen.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
robtharalson is offline  
post #31 of 49 Old 03-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,109
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
The reason HID bulb installations into halogen reflectors are not DOT approved is the HID arc bulbs produce a single kernel of light as opposed to the horizontal fore-aft aligned pattern from a filament. That, and the light does not necessarily correspond to the focal point of the paraboloidal reflector, causing quite a bit of random scatter right into the eyes of oncoming vehicles. "So what," you may say, "they still see me!" T'aint necessarily so. Dark adapted eyes are flooded with an enzyme that increases the sensitivity of the rods (low light receptors) and slightly inhibits the cones (bright and color receptors), substantially increasing night visual acuity. When a dark adapted eye is struck with a bright light the rods are overloaded, essentially washing out vision altogether, and a blind driver especially on a twisty road is a very dangerous driver. There are many documented accidents caused by headlight blinded drivers running into the source of light, in this case your motorcycle. The fact that your vision is improved will only make sure you see the grille of that car just before it hits you.
The only HID headlights that are DOT approved are complete assemblies including the reflector optimized for the light source, either from an auto or headlight manufacturer specifically for a particular vehicle.
Am I just being a curmudgeon? Hardly. It has become fashionable up here in the Malibu hills for cars to run the roads as fast as possible at night, and nearly all have HID conversions. Several times I have had to pull over to let my vision clear and hear laughter from the cars as they go by. I say hear because visually the world was a wash of blue/white. If I didn't know where the road goes I'd have ended up at the bottom of a canyon. I refuse to do this to anyone, so will stick to halogen.

Rob
Rob, Thanks for the very thorough explanation why AM HID are not DOT approved! So Cages act like a drunk deer in an HID light.
I'm extremely happy with the performance of my piaa.com H4 super plasma bulb and kisantech.com modulator.

dream is offline  
post #32 of 49 Old 03-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Discen
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 212
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Wow Rob... Outstanding explanation. I had never heard that argument before but it jives with my college Anatomy & Physiology.
David

djs_tx is offline  
post #33 of 49 Old 03-25-2008, 02:23 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
 
darkace625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,651
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
The reason HID bulb installations into halogen reflectors are not DOT approved is the HID arc bulbs produce a single kernel of light as opposed to the horizontal fore-aft aligned pattern from a filament. That, and the light does not necessarily correspond to the focal point of the paraboloidal reflector, causing quite a bit of random scatter right into the eyes of oncoming vehicles. "So what," you may say, "they still see me!" T'aint necessarily so. Dark adapted eyes are flooded with an enzyme that increases the sensitivity of the rods (low light receptors) and slightly inhibits the cones (bright and color receptors), substantially increasing night visual acuity. When a dark adapted eye is struck with a bright light the rods are overloaded, essentially washing out vision altogether, and a blind driver especially on a twisty road is a very dangerous driver. There are many documented accidents caused by headlight blinded drivers running into the source of light, in this case your motorcycle. The fact that your vision is improved will only make sure you see the grille of that car just before it hits you.
The only HID headlights that are DOT approved are complete assemblies including the reflector optimized for the light source, either from an auto or headlight manufacturer specifically for a particular vehicle.
Am I just being a curmudgeon? Hardly. It has become fashionable up here in the Malibu hills for cars to run the roads as fast as possible at night, and nearly all have HID conversions. Several times I have had to pull over to let my vision clear and hear laughter from the cars as they go by. I say hear because visually the world was a wash of blue/white. If I didn't know where the road goes I'd have ended up at the bottom of a canyon. I refuse to do this to anyone, so will stick to halogen.

Rob
Rob, I can see if I can hook you up with an a/c landing light. That will help you get those cagers back. Although it sounds like they would be too stupid to pull over and let their eyes adjust.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
darkace625 is offline  
post #34 of 49 Old 03-25-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
919er
 
MajorNickmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Provo, UT
Posts: 350
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Ok, well I'm going to pull the trigger and let you know...

Life's too short to put ugly chics on bikes
http://www.YourAutoWingman.com
MajorNickmo is offline  
post #35 of 49 Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Tirone
 
mee2yoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 50
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I did the Bi xenon H4 setup on my 9er. My friends I ride with are all interested in converting their light systems to the HID setup. There's such a huge difference!!

Ride Red or Go Home!!!
mee2yoo is offline  
post #36 of 49 Old 03-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped
 
xrmikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,909
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Do you ride in pitch black canyons?
And how do they compare to the stock set up?
The "BI" have "brights" right?
Who did you get your set up from?

xrmikey is offline  
post #37 of 49 Old 03-26-2008, 02:48 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
 
darkace625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,651
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Yes. Please do tell. Is the bright function noticable on the bi-xenon?

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
darkace625 is offline  
post #38 of 49 Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
919er
 
MajorNickmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Provo, UT
Posts: 350
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mee2yoo View Post
I did the Bi xenon H4 setup on my 9er. My friends I ride with are all interested in converting their light systems to the HID setup. There's such a huge difference!!
That didn't help us at all....

Mike, I did buy the "Bi-xenon" ones (Xenon Kings even called me to verify that it was actually me ordering the lights--security, made me feel good about ordering from these guys) after talking to my guy at the stealership yesterday, who has two of these on his 600RR, and four on his Tacoma (headlights and fog)! He said the only way to get hi and low beam/pass safety and emissions, is to get the bi-xenon. He said that there is only one ballast that I will have to stash, I might just attach it to the frame, who knows. My mechanic rides a 9er so I might just save myself the brain damage and pay for him to deal with it.

Life's too short to put ugly chics on bikes
http://www.YourAutoWingman.com
MajorNickmo is offline  
post #39 of 49 Old 03-26-2008, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
919er
 
MajorNickmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Provo, UT
Posts: 350
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Soooo, I ordered these yesterday and the Fedex tracking code they emailed me says the HID's will be delivered to my house before 10:30 AM TOMORROW from HONG KONG!!! That is some quick turnaround time. Install looks to be pretty straightforward.

Life's too short to put ugly chics on bikes
http://www.YourAutoWingman.com
MajorNickmo is offline  
post #40 of 49 Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Immune
 
frikjmaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 302
Rep Power: 1
 
I still cant embed video? Anyway,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbYgY2SIqx4

Thats a vid I shot between my old 06 6r with 4300K hids and my friend's 03 7r which uses two H4 bulbs. Ideally I would have had two of the same bike but the result is the same. And before you say anything about exposure adjustments or whatever, YES it REALLY DOES look like that to the human eye. The difference is astounding!! However, I will say this, that example is with a two bulb (one high and one low) setup. And not on a circular headlight platform so the result on a 919 will be a little different.

You guys that are installing them please take some before and after pics in the same spot, or a vid, I would love to see what its like on this bike.

Erik
2005 Honda 919

I've got a lot of places to see! (on the bike) :-)
frikjmaser is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome