Best Helmet for 919 riding position - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 12-14-2014, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Best Helmet for 919 riding position

As the title says what would the best helmet be for the 919 riding position.

I have the Shark Speed-R Carbon (link).

It is a very nice helmet, looks awesome, but too aggressive for this kind of naked riding position. I realised this while I've been riding in the colder weather at about 3 degrees Celsius when riding at speeds of 60kmph+ and when not in the tucked position, your head freezes. I guess its very good for summer because all that wind keeps you cool, but in the low temperatures it is not at all pleasant to ride upright. It has a dropdown sun visor but it works half the time because the pin that pushes the internal sun visor down jumps from it's little hole...Haven't figured out how to set it in place...I might just superglue it.

I might get the AGV AX-8 EVO Naked Carbon as my second helmet (link). It has dirt bike DNA therefore upright position. So it should go well on the 919.

I'm curious to see what helmets you guys use and any complaints that you have for the respective helmets?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 23.43.02.png (194.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 23.43.20.png (181.2 KB, 13 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 03:39 AM
Honda919Rider #1

And what oil should we be using?

I bought the latest greatest Bell and will never buy another, the wind noise was excessive under any and all conditions.

Looked great, build quality was also good, but that noise, what a blunder!

post #3 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 09:09 AM
TEXAN

I've been rocking a Shoei RF-1100 for three years now. No complaints after many miles on my 919.

post #4 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 10:17 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF1VE View Post
I've been rocking a Shoei RF-1100 for three years now. No complaints after many miles on my 919.
+1 on the RF-1100. That said, the first criteria is knowing and properly fitting your particular head shape. Once you've found "your brand" winterizing should be easy enough. Of course a functional windscreen helps. Close the vents. Cover your neck and lower face. The perfect combination for me is the Schampa Chin Guard with the Respro Foggy Mask which stops shield fogging, excess air flow under the chin bar and keeps my neck warm. The top of my head never gets cold but you can solve that with a balaclava.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Tirone

Here also RF-1100 & GT-Air

post #6 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 01:13 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

The Shark RSI shape is fantastic for naked bikes, very lightweight and fantastic aero. The rounder rsr2 on the other hand is a giant parachute in comparison.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #7 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 01:15 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

post #8 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I definitely need one of those! I have a skinny neck/chin, and the only area I get cold now with my cold gear is the chin and airflow that comes up underneath the chin skirt and into the helmet!

I have a head sock thingy from Underarmor, and it works well, but the draft is still pretty bad.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 04:04 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Yeah the Schampa blocks the wind better than anything else I've tried. I can cover my mouth or just my chin depending on the temp. The Respro foggy makes a positive seal on the bridge of my nose so all my steamy breath goes out the bottom away from my visor.
post #10 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Robert

Garage
There isn't one helmet alone that's best. I like HJC's as long as they're SNELL approved. I have their CL-16 Machine helmet in hi-vis yellow/green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41143770_335918_full.jpg (36.2 KB, 21 views)

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #11 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 06:44 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
I definitely need one of those! I have a skinny neck/chin, and the only area I get cold now with my cold gear is the chin and airflow that comes up underneath the chin skirt and into the helmet!

I have a head sock thingy from Underarmor, and it works well, but the draft is still pretty bad.
Also check out the Pharaoh balaclavas on the Schampa site. Good stuff.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Hastatus Posterior

I had a Suomy X1R (I think) that I used for 5 years, rain or shine. Then I bought the Shoei 1100. Absolutely love this helmet, comfy (does not fog up (get the anti fog screen for inside the visor) and much quieter than the Suomy.

post #13 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Ian

I run a Shoei RF1100 as well. Its a great helmet!

post #14 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Tirone

I've also used the RF1100 the past 3 years. Looking to get an Icon Variant now for commuting.

post #15 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
it seems that I'll have to decide between the AGV naked carbon and the new iteration of shoei rf 1100 the rf 1200.

The AGV looks more bad ass and is cheaper. But the rf 1200 is really a premium helmet...decisions decisions
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 20.08.45.png (308.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 23.43.02.png (194.4 KB, 24 views)

post #16 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Man, I didn't like the look of most Shoei's, but THAT ^^ one takes the cake!!!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #17 of 27 Old 12-16-2014, 01:06 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
it seems that I'll have to decide between the AGV naked carbon and the new iteration of shoei rf 1100 the rf 1200.

The AGV looks more bad ass and is cheaper. But the rf 1200 is really a premium helmet...decisions decisions
The ax8 looks to be better for non-windscreen bikes. Have you tried them on? Do the ax8 have the same fit as the Shoei? Curious for myself

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #18 of 27 Old 12-16-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
The ax8 looks to be better for non-windscreen bikes. Have you tried them on? Do the ax8 have the same fit as the Shoei? Curious for myself
I haven't tried them on yet. I'll have to see where they have them in store arround the Vancouver area.

post #19 of 27 Old 12-18-2014, 03:41 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Yeah the Schampa blocks the wind better than anything else I've tried. I can cover my mouth or just my chin depending on the temp. The Respro foggy makes a positive seal on the bridge of my nose so all my steamy breath goes out the bottom away from my visor.
Now that I've got my cold hands covered with heated gear, the next weak link in my cold riding chain is fogging inside the visor. Gotta look into this Respro thing.

post #20 of 27 Old 12-18-2014, 04:12 AM
Discen

Been wearing Nolan's for years and love my new N90 modular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (143.2 KB, 13 views)

Dan

2005 Honda 919. (Hercules)
2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive (Iron Maiden)
post #21 of 27 Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

No helmet protects the neck at all, and in cold weather, especially sub freezing, wind chill on any exposed skin is very dangerous. My solution is to use a fairly long wool scarf wound loosely around my neck, with enough material to go under the chin strap for retention, and the ends tucked into the back of my jacket. With the collar of the jacket pulled as high as it can go to act as a windblock I have done quite nicely for hundreds of miles in very cold conditions.

On the subject of fogging face shields, I had that problem back in the old Bell Star days (the original full face helmet), and my father suggested going to an army / navy surplus store and buy a pilot's breathing mask with a hose still attached. It took some time to find one that fit comfortably inside the helmet, and routing the hose was a headscratcher at first, but once the niggling little problems were worked out it worked like a charm. One benefit I found was if the hose was run down into the jacket when you exhale the air entering the jacket was warm! This was a good thing when the temperature dropped into the teens. Below that I drove a car. I know -- what a whimp, right?

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #22 of 27 Old 12-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post

On the subject of fogging face shields, I had that problem back in the old Bell Star days (the original full face helmet), and my father suggested going to an army / navy surplus store and buy a pilot's breathing mask with a hose still attached. It took some time to find one that fit comfortably inside the helmet, and routing the hose was a headscratcher at first, but once the niggling little problems were worked out it worked like a charm. One benefit I found was if the hose was run down into the jacket when you exhale the air entering the jacket was warm! This was a good thing when the temperature dropped into the teens. Below that I drove a car. I know -- what a whimp, right?

Rob
Someone stole your idea

FogThief |

post #23 of 27 Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

I rock the Fly Trekker, it takes awhile to get use to the visor but It's nice when the sun decides to blast ya and when following log trucks

Super light and really comfy fit, I like that it has plenty of snout room, and doesn't leak at all during down pours.....but it is kind breezy and doesn't offer a lot for noise control, more of a summertime rig

image-2912846333.jpg

:buell:
post #24 of 27 Old 12-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Tirone

My hjc CL Max has done fine on my couple of K miles on the 919. Doesn't seem to get any weird angles on it to pull my head up or to the side.

In cold, a $10 balaclava from cycle hear does well in addition to this cute wool scarf my wife didn't use any more.

Some ride reports:
http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/

On two wheels:
post #25 of 27 Old 12-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Tyrone Biggums

The best compromise

Have been riding the new 9er for two months with an HJC RPHA Max modular helmet.

It is: light (esp for modular), comfortable, quiet (again, especially for modular), and the flip up shield makes it possible to ride from hot to cold weather. I have ridden 90-degree days no problem, but with the shield down and ventilation closed, I have ridden (so far) down to 34F/20mph wind at highway speeds.

Also, HJC is the only helmet that will fit oval-shaped heads.

Can't speak highly enough of this one. Will be getting the non-modular version (RPHA ST) for my GF who basically only rides in fair weather.

post #26 of 27 Old 12-30-2014, 03:28 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I've had the AGV S-4 helmet for the past few years, and just upgraded to the Bell Star. I couldn't pass up the $300-off price!

Some helmets are supposed to have better aerodynamics for track use, and others for touring, etc. I've only ridden with the Bell a couple times so far (commuting on the freeway and across town) but it's extremely comfortable for my head shape and seems fine for 20-30 minutes at freeway speeds on a naked bike.

post #27 of 27 Old 12-30-2014, 07:04 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC27 View Post
There isn't one helmet alone that's best. I like HJC's as long as they're SNELL approved. I have their CL-16 Machine helmet in hi-vis yellow/green.
I like my CL16 as well. I have it in white. Going to get a CL 17 this season because it seems to have more ventilation. The 16 is a good and comfy lid that won't break the bank. Could it be quieter? Probably. But it doesn't bother me too much. Ear plugs solve these problems.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode