Being seen - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Being seen

Had a close one this morning with a cager that didn't see me (or didn't look... one of the two).

School me on modulators.

I would like to buy one for the headlight, one for the tail light with the option of turning the healight flasher off by using a switch. I live 4 miles down a twisty / hilly blacktop road and have my brights blasting at night... Having them flash all the time is not an option.

I have a factory tail light, but am thinking about an LED upgrade to brighten things up.

So... What say the wristtwisters? Which modluator would you recommend?

I'm also going to install some reflective bits here and there as the PO dereflectorized it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Kissan Pathfinder

post #3 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I use the Kissan headlight modulator and SWEAR by it! (I've been meaning to submit a thorough write up) it allows you to fully control it's use with a simple thumb flip of your headlight switch, and I have definetly seen a difference in cager's reactions. IMO it should be mandatory on ALL factory bikes.
For my OEM tail light I use the Vizi tech with no complaints, but I've never actually "seen" it from a moving driver's point of view because I'm on the bike but it works in the garage and avoids target fixation.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Excellent. I'll look for a Kissan. Thanks all!

post #5 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I'm very glad it was a near miss! Please share the details of your survival?

+3 KISANTECH!!! www.kisantech.com
Plenty of WT install notes (search). Get both KS's HL and BL circuits and live another day.

post #6 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Tirone

i used to have the kissan pathfinder mounted with a halogen bulb; the way it blinks is so soft, fading in and out, people tend not to notice it as much as they would a more concrete flashing (that's probably why they were able to make this device legally). i now have a pair of hid bulbs mounted (no modulator - not compatible with hid lights) and they are noticed far better than the modulator was. plus the hid's still get noticed at night - the modulator doesn't flash when it is dark out.

b) i find that no matter what modifications i make to try to be more visible, i still need to ride like nobody can see me.

...j919

post #7 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
I'm very glad it was a near miss! Please share the details of your survival?

+3 KISANTECH!!! www.kisantech.com
Plenty of WT install notes (search). Get both KS's HL and BL circuits and live another day.
Riding in the left lane on a 3 lane superslab. I approach a known sticky spot where another interstate merges with mine (merge is a 1 mile stretch where the interstate briefly goes to 4 lane).

At my 2 o'clock I notice a blue (beat up) Chev sedan merging fast... He hops from far right to center right (no blinker) and from center right to center left (no blinker) disrupting traffic both times.

He has gained enough speed at this time to put me at his 8... Not where I want to be. I noticed him approaching the truck directly in his path at a rapid pace... I think to myself, "He's going to want over... Should i stay the course and pass him or back off and give this tool some room...?" he made my mind up for me. As I'm traveling diagonal to him I notice movement... he's pounding the roof of his car with his fists... and dancing in his seat... Literally bouncing up and down. I could hear the bass (and trunk rattle) over the Interstate wind noise.

Situational awarness saved my @$$.
I have a young guy, driving a 4 door sedan that has a mix of body damage (rear bumper mangled, rear quarter dented, missing a hub cap, etc.) stereo blaring, dancing in his seat like an absolute fool.... I'll give him some room.

I eased up on the throttle... Good thing I did. I was looking in his mirror... And I was the only one. He didn't look in the mirror, just came over... No blinker.

He missed my front tire by approx 3 feet, and I opened that gap even more after I realized the car behind me backed way off.

Could a blinking headlight have made a difference in that situation....? I don't know. But it would have increased my chances of being seen. He cut off a few people by merging where there wasn't enough room, and those were cars. I don't think he was worried about being hit, or hitting someone else. Drivers like that deserve to be pit maneuvered into a wall.

post #8 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Great job Nate! Thanks for sharing the details. Your skills paid off HUGE. Spoil yourself with a celebration of new lights/horn/gear!

post #9 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Add a Stebel Nautilus compact to your arsenal while you're installing the modulator. They will absolutely hear you if nothing else.

post #10 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

no matter of stuff will make him aware!! "he was just another idiot that would have ran you over had you not been paying attention and already has ran over others as proof you mentioned the mix of body damage"

I've got a bright yellow coat and get it all the time, I've actually had in the past a reflective bright yellow coat that Olympia makes and still i got ran over, basically do what mods you feel helps and by all means I'm sure all things mentioned above will help with some, but please don't relax thinking they will see me now!!! Cause some like that dumbazz won't and don't care.

Glad your still with us to share!

post #11 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 02:47 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

a pocket of marbles would have got that yahoos attention, but that is a last resort, ive never actually done it, but thought about it, damned cagers.

post #12 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I thank all my experience riding bicycles and motorcycles in traffic everytime I get behind the wheel of a car or truck! We are all fortunate to understand traffic from both viewpoints. Its unfortunate that other drivers don't realize how dangerous they can be, and that they continue to view their vehicles as a means of expressing their emotions.

post #13 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
no matter of stuff will make him aware!! "he was just another idiot that would have ran you over had you not been paying attention :snip
I am in total agreement nate!
They are out there. They're not thinking of what they are doing. They're somewhere else.
Excellent job on your part, looking with your ROAD WARRIER EYES!

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcycles View Post
I thank all my experience riding bicycles and motorcycles in traffic everytime I get behind the wheel of a car or truck! We are all fortunate to understand traffic from both viewpoints. Its unfortunate that other drivers don't realize how dangerous they can be, and that they continue to view their vehicles as a means of expressing their emotions.
Never a truer word than the above can be spoken... This has long been my point of view whenever I get asked why I ever bothered to get into bikes. My car only driving friends cannot understand how riding a bike could ever enhance my ability to read traffic, no matter how much I try to explain. If only "they" knew about the OTHER guy...

post #15 of 17 Old 08-30-2008, 04:43 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Being seen - I'm not running a modulator although I could be tempted from what I've read here. No, I go for the ultimate in motorcycle fashion statement - white helmet and high viz jacket

And yes, the aftermarket horns help but they are a defensive measure normally. But it sure is fun to scare the crap out of an unfocused cager on a call phone!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-30-2008, 05:47 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

+1 Ken

post #17 of 17 Old 08-30-2008, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
a pocket of marbles would have got that yahoos attention, but that is a last resort, ive never actually done it, but thought about it, damned cagers.
Unfortunately he was slightly in front of me... I'm also right handed so lobbing a marble forward with my throttle hand on the interstate could have interesting. Like peeing in the wind, but worse.

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm headed out of town this weekend but pland on ordering and installing a modulator when I return.

Here's my though on the modulator.

Would a flashing light have changed this guys course of action? Probably not, but his driving 'style' was a red flag and I should have given him more room... I think any motorcycle rider would have eased the throttle back... I

t's the guy driving down the center lane on his cell phone... generally minding his own business that I'm worried about. You know the type... Not really doing anything wrong, just cruising at highway speed yapping about office stuff... Not paying much attention to his surroundings. He does the mirror check, but not shoulder check because his cell phone is stuck to the side of his head... I want this type of person to look up in their mirror at me because they see something blinking in their rear view. This is the person that I worry about... They are not predictable.

Everyone be safe out there... For those of you in the midwest - ride some for me. I'm leaving the 9er at home and the weather is supposed to be awesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode