being lazy - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

being lazy

Ok I know I'm being lazy and could probably do an intensive search of past forums to get my answer but it's much faster to just ask....Where do you put the big 2.5 x 1 x 1 inch black box labeld (must be used) on Rizoma turn signals? I have two of them for the front and I can't get them into the headlight bucket.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 09:16 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

What's the black box for?

There is no room in the bucket, that's for sure. Do you have enough wire to get it under the seat? That's where it probably belongs.

If you have a little Givi screen like I, if you're really lazy, just velcro it to the top of your guage cluster. You're probably the only guy who would ever notice it. I keep a spare black turtleneck shirt there most of the time just in case.

post #3 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Seriously? You don't have the box?? Hmmmmmm There's absolutly no way are the wires long enough to reach the seat.
Anyone else have the Avio 21?

Your's doesn't matter.
post #4 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

OK I found out what the box is, it's a load box and resistor. Can anyone with an electrical background tell me if I can splice two lights into one box, (to conserve space) or if I have to use one for each light?

Your's doesn't matter.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 10:52 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfilet300 View Post
OK I found out what the box is, it's a load box and resistor. Can anyone with an electrical background tell me if I can splice two lights into one box, (to conserve space) or if I have to use one for each light?
Probably would be easier to just buy a LED flasher and replace the stock flasher under the seat.

post #6 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 11:27 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I (think I) know LEDs need an LED flasher unit. I thought that was what your "black box" was. Resistors slow LEDs down, but they also dim your LEDs.

But, yeah, get the LED flasher unit.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Stop being lazy, read the 919 Helpful Topics!

post #8 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Unbannable

If you're doing only one set of LED's you don't need to use resistors or change your relay. Your blink rate will go faster but that just makes it stand out more.

post #9 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Oh I assure you I've read the infamous How to link. Infact that's the only reason why I thought I could handle this mod But when the product arrived with it's load box and extra resistor and nothing like the How To link , I thought I was out in uncharted waters. I wasn't sure if it was a Rizoma nuiance. I'll post some picts tonight when I get home so the WT team and see what I'm looking at.

Your's doesn't matter.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Optio

I guess the new Rizomas your supposed to use them, if you do and where you put them I don't have a clue?

I'd just shoot an e-mail over to PJ's and see what they say.

I've got an older set, but you can see it slightly cracking where the clear part holds the screw in and spoke with Paige about getting a replacement pair, which reminds me that I need to get a picture taken and send it there way of mine.

post #11 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 03:38 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

mechanical flasher from your local auto parts store is all you need

replacing the OEM flasher is only required to quell the fast blink (resulting from the change in resistance on the circuit)

assuming your lights have integrated current protection (resistors), a mechanical will do you just fine

post #12 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfilet300 View Post
The "load box" is just an 8 ohm 25 watt power resistor that emulates the current draw of the original incandescent bulbs to duplicate the original flash rate. There must be one per side if you want the slower flash rate if you do not go with an LED specific flasher. In use, the resistor will get quite hot (perfectly normal), so should be mounted solidly to a piece of metal to help get rid of that heat -- otherwise it will either burn out or overheat wires or components near it, and yes it will get hot enough to melt plastic. There is, however, no reason to mount tham near the front signals -- anywhere in the circuit will do, so you could place them under the seat firmly tied to a frame member to act as a heat sink.

Frankly, a mechanical or LED specific flasher is a preferable solution, but be advised that there may be a problem if you are still using conventional rear turn signals -- the LED flasher may not be able to handle the extra load, and may either burn out or shorten it's life. Check the manufacturer's literature to be sure it can handle it.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #13 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

ok as promised here are the photos of all the components and the very lame instructions. Maybe you can help decipher them. As you can see the wires are pretty short, the load box is quite large and the resistor is a seperate component. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avio21 v1.JPG (18.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg avio 21 v2.JPG (22.9 KB, 10 views)

Your's doesn't matter.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Boy, that is lame! It appears the load box may be a separate flasher unit triggered by the rears, but it's difficult to be sure given their lavish description. Ah well -- you can hook it up as they show and see what happens. Without further technical data it's difficult to say what is going on inside the turn signal, but I suspect there is a single high power LED and the load box is what's called a current buck driver, and would be essential for proper operation. It would be interesting to see the insides of the indicator. Lacking that, assume everything they sent is necessary and find a place for all the stuff near the indicators.
Good luck finding a place for everything -- it looks like they assume you have a sportbike and acres of room inside a fairing.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #15 of 16 Old 07-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

I'm going out on a limb here, it's appears you have 2 options.
1. Use the Rizoma box
2. Loose the Rizoma box in favor of a Electronic flasher to slow down the blink rate. These plug n' play flashers are linked on the 919 Helpful Topics.

It's easy to wire the the new blinkers into your existing stock set-up.

post #16 of 16 Old 07-01-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I just with Mike at PJ's Parts (great people) to clear up what the box is for. It turns out that these are high intensity LED's and the box is nothing more then a coverter to prevent the bulb from burning out. As clearly stated in the photo, "it must be used". Without it, the bulb will fry in one blink (ouch). The seperate additional resistor is to adjust the blink rate if you want. Because there is so little room in the 919 headlight bucket, I AM going to have to splice in additional length to run wires from under the seat to the front signals. So there you have it. Thank you all for your help. -Fish

Your's doesn't matter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode