Beat by a Cruiser? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 08-21-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Beat by a Cruiser?

Hey guys I found your forum a few months ago and it has been a great resource in learning all I need to know about the 919. My current bike is on ebay, and I am finally going to get a 919 after 2 years of waiting. I have been compiling parts in anticipation of putting them on my new bike. So heres the question, how much acceleration will I lose with a 17T sprocket, I do have a PC III but how much will that help. I commute 30 minutes everyday so it sounds like the perfect mod, but on the weekends I'd like to keep up with my brothers 1700cc Road Star. Can I have the best of both?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Aquilifer

Keeping up with the bike?
I assume you mean straight line stuff.

That 1700cc Road Star is going to get you off the line.
Just easier to launch and the torque hits sooner.

Once you get in your power band, you should be able to out-accelerate him.

From what I've read here, the 17t isn't going to super-negatively effect acceleration.

post #3 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Unfortunatly, yes straight line. Not to many twisties here in iowa. His sure does launch hard, but if im not to far behind it would be a fair trade off.

post #4 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Pilus Posterior

Unless you are planning on droning along hundreds of boring straight miles personally I'd leave the sprocket as stock, cruising is absolutely fine, acceleration is sweet and fuel economy is good. You'll appreciate it more too when you hit the hills.

Get the bike and put some miles on it first before you change the sprocket - chances are you'll agree with me.

post #5 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

I plan on riding the bike before doing any mods, but like I said no twisties or hills here, just lots of cornfields, so I am doomed to endless hours of boring straight riding Most of our roads actually make square mile blocks. the launch is the most exciting part

post #6 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 03:39 AM
h8tenhogs

when he get ready to launch just reach over and hit his kill switch its a great mod and it does not cost anything and its done in no time. you dont even get grease on your hands.As far as the 17 tooth if you gots lots of straight roads i say go for it you will get better gas mileage.It will rev less when you get up there in the rpm's doin 70 or 80 mph. not much but a little.I did it and i really wish i had not done it there are too many corners between hear and my job. I was planning on doing a little more long distance this summer but that didnot work out . good luck with the new bike your going to love it

post #7 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 03:55 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeriley View Post
when he get ready to launch just reach over and hit his kill switch its a great mod and it does not cost anything and its done in no time. you dont even get grease on your hands.As far as the 17 tooth if you gots lots of straight roads i say go for it you will get better gas mileage.It will rev less when you get up there in the rpm's doin 70 or 80 mph. not much but a little.I did it and i really wish i had not done it there are too many corners between hear and my job. I was planning on doing a little more long distance this summer but that didnot work out . good luck with the new bike your going to love it
If you're not on the right side of him, you can put his side stand down as well.

post #8 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 04:03 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome Schrock. Good luck on the sale of your bike. 919's are great all around bikes and seems like there are plenty of deals out there. Good idea on riding the bike a while before deciding on mods.

post #9 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 05:31 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

you should be able to hand him his lunch after a while, 9ers are quick, with the right rider, ask Bucky!!)

post #10 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 05:35 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome.

Take one of your brothers spark plugs out.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 06:48 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

post #12 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
Hey guys I found your forum a few months ago and it has been a great resource in learning all I need to know about the 919. My current bike is on ebay, and I am finally going to get a 919 after 2 years of waiting. I have been compiling parts in anticipation of putting them on my new bike. So heres the question, how much acceleration will I lose with a 17T sprocket, I do have a PC III but how much will that help. I commute 30 minutes everyday so it sounds like the perfect mod, but on the weekends I'd like to keep up with my brothers 1700cc Road Star. Can I have the best of both?

You must learn how to rev your bike properly. Find a respectable dyno curve and stick to the peak torque/hp RPM's when shifting. Other than that, borrow my ZX10R.

的 said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #13 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I switched to the 17t sprocket, and did not really notice any loss at takeoff, although I am sure I lost some, but the few hundred RPM drop was worth it to me, I live in the panhandle of FL and not much twisties here either..........and anywhere I go, it is a 20 miles ride non stop minimum so overall the 17T was worth it to me.

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #14 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Thanks for all the input, bike sabatoge is an excellent idea. I think I will probably end up doing the 17T sprocket as 90% of my riding is interstate commuting. And honestly my current bike is a 30 year old 750, so even if I do lose some takeoff, it will still be a huge stepup. BTW i actually have hit his kill switch before, probably stupid idea but come on were brothers its expected

post #15 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Tesserarius

I love my 17T straights or twisties. If you're in the twisties it's rarely you're in top gear!
Same with takeoff, a little harder launch, but you're in first longer!

post #16 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Quote:
Unfortunatly, yes straight line. Not to many twisties here in iowa.
Amen brother!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #17 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 04:58 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

[QUOTE= BTW i actually have hit his kill switch before, probably stupid idea but come on were brothers its expected[/QUOTE]

+1 It's grand fun!

post #18 of 33 Old 08-22-2010, 06:10 PM
The Cripple

running 17t front and 44t rear and loving it. allows me to ride more aggressively in a lower gear for the corners when i want to, thus keeping it in the powerband better, and still launches hard when i want it to.

get it into the powerband quicky, keep it there, and practice good shifting, and while he may beat you off the line, youll not only close the gap quickly, but youll leave him behind. nothing better than knowing theyre laughing at you as soon as they punch it off the line, only to see you past them by and their efforts are futile lol.

post #19 of 33 Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Unless you are planning on droning along hundreds of boring straight miles personally I'd leave the sprocket as stock, cruising is absolutely fine, acceleration is sweet and fuel economy is good. You'll appreciate it more too when you hit the hills.

Get the bike and put some miles on it first before you change the sprocket - chances are you'll agree with me.
Good advice.

I commute 25 miles each way most every day with stock gearing and no problems. 42 MPG average over the last 18 months.

For the fun stuff, keep the engine above 5,000 rpm and shift around 9,000.
Shifting at 9K keeps the engine in the fun band without thinking about it. The 919 has enough power that the driver is the limiting factor. Unless you're good and your brother is better, you'll chicken out before the bike reaches its limits.

Standard road & commuting RPMs is most often under 4,000.

BTW - the 919's engine can easily handle running for long periods at 6-9k rpm. The 900rr had a higher red line, so the engine is over-engineered (RPM-wise) for the 919.

post #20 of 33 Old 08-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Thanks for all the input, bike sabatoge is an excellent idea. I think I will probably end up doing the 17T sprocket as 90% of my riding is interstate commuting. And honestly my current bike is a 30 year old 750, so even if I do lose some takeoff, it will still be a huge stepup. BTW i actually have hit his kill switch before, probably stupid idea but come on were brothers its expected
Oh, that's it. Forget it. You are going up against a torque monster. Seriously. Don't bother. I'm not kidding. Nothing to be ashamed of. He can shade you in all stats. It's NOT YOUR FAULT!

Mathew Quigley
post #21 of 33 Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Newfie

Whatever Bigdaa.... the roadstar averages mid 12 sec 1/4 mile times. The 9'r is mid to low 11's. Just don't miss more than 2 gears and you are in the clear....

post #22 of 33 Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlb63 View Post
Whatever Bigdaa.... the roadstar averages mid 12 sec 1/4 mile times. The 9'r is mid to low 11's. Just don't miss more than 2 gears and you are in the clear....
I just told the guy he'd never pull it off with his 30 year old 750. Did you think I was defaming the 919? Heaven forbid!

Mathew Quigley
post #23 of 33 Old 08-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
I just told the guy he'd never pull it off with his 30 year old 750. Did you think I was defaming the 919? Heaven forbid!
I thought, what you meant is that even a 1970ish 750 standard should run with the cruiser,so if he has trouble now....

post #24 of 33 Old 08-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Optio

Thanks to the generosity of this forum I got a 17t for the cost of postage.

Put about 300 miles one day after the change, killed it the first time I went to take off as yes it's a little different.

Loose a little acceleration? Yes, just a tad but not enough to make a big deal out of it.

Supposedly the speedometer is more accurate now, been riding for three years on this bike and so used to it being aprox. 5 mph over.

Does smooth things out and the lovely long straight roads around here the decrease in RPM is nice to have. Happened to ride to Okaboji, IA on my initial test run. Not a whole lot of corners between here and there.

If I were to start from scratch, I'd get the VFR rubber dampened sprocket though. At low speeds the knock off does create a different pitch of noise. Not really noticeable unless your listening for it.

Oh, and don't worry about any cruiser out pacing you

post #25 of 33 Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvetree View Post
I thought, what you meant is that even a 1970ish 750 standard should run with the cruiser,so if he has trouble now....
That's exactly what I meant. 70's 750 has all of 60-70 hp top, plus the thing is worn out with being that dated though his avatar pic makes it look pretty darn good. The torque figures on the 750 I'm guessing is low forties tops when that big 1700 is laying down 100 or so. My first post in this topic says judicial use of the revs in accordance with hp peaks on a dino chart are the way to lay the issue to rest. Karl must have blown through that and went straight for the jugular. He missed, though.

Mathew Quigley
post #26 of 33 Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

blah blah blah 41 tooth rear equal to 17 tooth front blah blah blah get used to the niner lofting the front blah blah blah smoke that jerkwagon the end

post #27 of 33 Old 08-23-2010, 12:37 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Not to many twisties here in iowa.

where in Iowa are you?

I ride the Loess Hills whenever possible - we have group rides out of Omaha once in a while - some of the best riding in the area.

... plenty of straight roads around here too. I feel your pain.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #28 of 33 Old 08-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
blah blah blah 41 tooth rear equal to 17 tooth front blah blah blah get used to the niner lofting the front blah blah blah smoke that jerkwagon the end
He said "Jerkwagon"

Mathew Quigley
post #29 of 33 Old 08-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Centurion

I have the 17 & do notice a drop in accel, especially if you are low in the rev range, but it soo comfy on the long straight boring roads I drive.

post #30 of 33 Old 08-24-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Im north of des moines, literally surrounded by cornfields and flat ground. My old 750 that is sold and gone now, was a honda V45 sabre, he'd blow me outta the water but by about the top of third I would start closing the gap. It had 80 hp 45 ft lbs of torque and ran the 1/4 in 12.16 @ 108mph. Im sure it wasnt still up to those specs as it was old, but it wasnt slow by any means. Im stoked to get a new fuel injected bike

post #31 of 33 Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Cornicen

Smooth is what I'm after when on curvy roads, so, 17T front is nice to have. It's easier for me to keep the transitions smooth. If I were on a track, sure, I might gear it differently, I don't know. I like it. I like that the speedometer is more accurate, too.

post #32 of 33 Old 08-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Im north of des moines, literally surrounded by cornfields and flat ground. My old 750 that is sold and gone now, was a honda V45 sabre, he'd blow me outta the water but by about the top of third I would start closing the gap. It had 80 hp 45 ft lbs of torque and ran the 1/4 in 12.16 @ 108mph. Im sure it wasnt still up to those specs as it was old, but it wasnt slow by any means. Im stoked to get a new fuel injected bike
For reference only, even with 46,000 miles on my 10R, I can still do 96 in first gear.

Mathew Quigley
post #33 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 03:25 PM
just ride it...

If it helps any, I just put a 17 on the front of my 919, and even dropped the back from a 43 to a 42. I honestly can't really tell a difference. If all you're doing is going to a 17 on the front, you probably wont notice any change in your acceleration. Unless you rip it wide open everytime you pull away from a read light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode