Bearing Driver set - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 12-06-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Bearing Driver set

Hey guys.. Does anyone know of a supplier or brand that has a bearing driver set that has both an outer driver and a pilot style of driver....

I attached a page from our 919 Honda service manual as this is the type of bearing driver set I am looking for..

thanks for your help guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bearing Driver.jpg (141.8 KB, 48 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Optio

Sockets and a vice. Or sockets and a rubber mallet.

post #3 of 6 Old 12-07-2008, 07:38 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Sockets and a vice aren't going to get it. What are you going to clamp that vice to? I've been down the bearing replacement road. You need a bearing driver set if you want to be assured that the job will, and has been done right. You start beating on your wheel with what ever you have laying around and you're asking for trouble. I had the mechanic at work, a pro, install mine. He has the proper tools and know-how to do it right. If you don't posess the know how, at least get the right tools.

If I wanted a bearing driver set, which I don't because I wouldn't get my moneys worth out of it, Id check Sears, then maybe Northern Hydralics, or Snap-On or a Mac dealer.

And be sure to greasd the inner hub and outer bearing surface before you start driving that bearing in because it it a TIGHT fit.

post #4 of 6 Old 12-07-2008, 09:55 AM
919 City Pilot

I have a few Matco sets....I Have to look to see how big (dia) they go. Thet are standard though.

post #5 of 6 Old 12-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I've got a complete set of bearing removal tools from Motion Pro. Used them many times to remove wheel bearings:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/..._remover_sets/

They also have a tool to install swingarm bearings.

Bearing install is usually easy. Put the bearing in the freezer overnight. Heat the part the bearing is going in. Using the old bearing, place it on top of the new one and drive it in. Just make sure you're putting pressure on the outside race only, and that you get it started straight. I've changed numerous wheel bearings this way and it's quite easy. If I was going to do a swingarm bearing I'd probably use the same method, or the vise method. Or you could buy the Motion Pro or similar swingarm tool.

It looks like it would be pretty easy to make with all thread rod, bolts and some washers. A hardened bolt would probably work better without fear of stripping the threads.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 6 Old 12-07-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring919 View Post
Sockets and a vice. Or sockets and a rubber mallet.
This is true... but I found a light duty shop press for cheap, so I am in the lookout for the driver set as noted... I never thought sourcing out the bearing driver set with a pilot style of design would be so hard...

Checked with snapon, mac, grey and other tool manufactures and nothing.. very odd..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode