Battery Removal Secret? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Hornet Grandpa!

Battery Removal Secret?

The manual only says to disconnect the battery band and remove the battery from the battery case. SURE! I can get it half way out and then the rear brake master cylinder gets in the way. Also, it seems like it's pulling against something in the battery case. Any secrets to getting the dang thing out of the case?

Hurry! It's getting dark here in Washington!

Thanks

O:\General Info\member1804.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Have you disconnected the terminals? It should just kind of slide out after that, pulling it a little toward you and back.

post #3 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

You can call if you need! Seven one three five six nine five six zero two.

post #4 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Immune

I have to pull it out at a slight angle to clear everything. I actually never paid attention to what it was hitting but there is nothing holding the battery in the tray (might have a plastic tie making things a little harder)

post #5 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
919 City Pilot

take the side cover off.............j/k not the best batt install set up I have seen.

post #6 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Hornet Grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
Have you disconnected the terminals? It should just kind of slide out after that, pulling it a little toward you and back.
Not yet. The manual says to do it after removing. The terminals are inboard and close to stuff so I don't think I can get the positive one off.

post #7 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Just disconnect the terminals - it slides right out - Done

post #8 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
Not yet. The manual says to do it after removing. The terminals are inboard and close to stuff so I don't think I can get the positive one off.
You can just pull it part of the way out and disconnect it.

post #9 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Hornet Grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Just disconnect the terminals - it slides right out - Done
Will do. Gotta find a light now.

I hate winter too!

post #10 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Immune

disconnect the terminals? I can't disconnect mine unless the battery is almost out of the tray and by that time the battery is basically already out

post #11 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

If you have to take a leak, stands to reason you unzip first. Get the picture? Come on people, removing a battery is not rocket science.

post #12 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 06:22 PM
919>food>beer

you need to at least disconnect the neg. terminal while the battery is still 3/4 in the box and then the positive after its out. Also it is probably hanging up on the positive terminal cover.

post #13 of 31 Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Immune

Quote:
If you have to take a leak, stands to reason you unzip first.
so thats what I have been doing wrong all these years & I agree it is not rocket science

post #14 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Red Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
you need to at least disconnect the neg. terminal while the battery is still 3/4 in the box and then the positive after its out. Also it is probably hanging up on the positive terminal cover.
+1 on removing negative first, you should do that everytime you remove ANY vehicle battery!

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #15 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

You might also check that your battery wasn't installed backwards like mine was shown in this picture from "Helpful topics for the 919 owner". I installed a 12 volt outlet and posted a how-to. Someone pointed out their battery was opposite of mine. After looking at the battery box mine has a rise where the terminals slide in, so I turned it around after posting this pic.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #16 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 06:18 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Jim,

Both my positive and negative terminals are installed where they stick out on the long side of the battery. It slides in and out just fine. Tried with the cabling sticking out the end like you have, and the positive seemed too short.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I don't know what you mean by "long side of the battery." It worked okay as posted in the pic, but when I flipped the battery around 180, which put the terminals on the side closest to the bike, it worked much better. There's more clearance in my battery box up top for the terminals when installed that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Jim,

Both my positive and negative terminals are installed where they stick out on the long side of the battery. It slides in and out just fine. Tried with the cabling sticking out the end like you have, and the positive seemed too short.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #18 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody469 View Post
+1 on removing negative first, you should do that everytime you remove ANY vehicle battery!
That's providing the vehicle is negative ground. Maybe we should say always remove the ground cable first. Many of the old British cars were positive ground.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #19 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Lucas Electrics. Leaving millions stranded.

post #20 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 08:27 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Lucas Electrics. Leaving millions stranded.
Lucas jokes rule! "It worked fine until I accidently let all the smoke out."

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #21 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

The Lucas Electric motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness."

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas makes the refrigerators.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.
Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.
Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency."

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #22 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Went thru college with a guy who had Lucas Electrics in his car. I had to go rescue him more than once. That car used to do some weird stuff.

The best one was when it became possessed and decided to leave the taillights on when the driver door was open and turn them off when it was closed. He got pulled over one night for no taillights and when he got out the lights came on. Cop told him to drive home with his door open.

Nice car. POS electrics.

post #23 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
The Lucas Electric motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness."

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas makes the refrigerators.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.
Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.
Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
My cat was looking at me funny as I was laughing my ass off while reading this! Thanks.

Actually, I can't complain about Lucas electrics -- I had a 1971 BSA "Gold Star" (if anyone out there remembers when BSA punched out the 441 to 500 ccs, dubbed it a Gold Star, and elicited a massive collective howl from "real" Gold Star enthuisasts) on which the positive battery terminal fell off. I never noticed it despite the battery coil ignition. The generator would produce enough juice to run the ignition at kickstart RPMs, it would fire up from stone cold in a maximum of two kicks, and the zener diode regulator worked well enough to protect the lights. At least I think it did considering the generous amount of vibration from the motor killed filaments long before excessive system voltage could. One special order headlight bulb lasted less than 10 minutes, and Lucas had no hand in it's manufacture.

So there.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #24 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

This BSA 441 Victor left me stranded on more occasions than I care to remember.

post #25 of 31 Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

I sure like the way those old singles look. Kinda getting me to want to go on down to our local Royal Enfield dealer for one of them chromed gas tank machines. NO LUCAS products being used on R.E. these days! One thing about it, They, Royal Enfield, still styles their engines to be looked at and admired. The new C5's have beautiful styling, engineered for the eye's enjoyment, to be admired while throwing back a cold Guiness Extra Stout or two.
No need to style something that's gonna be all covered up like on some of these more modern machines.

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #26 of 31 Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Hornet Grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
I sure like the way those old singles look. Kinda getting me to want to go on down to our local Royal Enfield dealer for one of them chromed gas tank machines. NO LUCAS products being used on R.E. these days! One thing about it, They, Royal Enfield, still styles their engines to be looked at and admired. The new C5's have beautiful styling, engineered for the eye's enjoyment, to be admired while throwing back a cold Guiness Extra Stout or two.
No need to style something that's gonna be all covered up like on some of these more modern machines.
So how do you get a battery out of a Royal Enfield? Oh, wait! That would be hijacking my own thread!

post #27 of 31 Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Cornicen

thanks for the laugh,
terminals must be on the inside side.
positive terminal is not visible
negative terminal is, remove it first
then pull the battery out part way
remove positive terminal
install in reverse order.

post #28 of 31 Old 12-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Discen

This thread should be stickied - Proved really useful when installing my alarm today

Just as aerodynamic airplanes are simple and streamlined, a motorcycle--which manages to balance an engine and a seat between two wheels--has a mechanical integrity, with intertwining pipes, chains and springs, that is fascinating to behold - Peter Plagens
post #29 of 31 Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Aquilifer

Support, pull the battery strait out as far as it will go with the terminals still connected( MAKE SURE THEY ARE COVERED!) Then i have found you have to tilt the thing towards the sky a bit then swing it out. Just futz with the angles, perhaps move the cables a bit.

post #30 of 31 Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadacus View Post
This thread should be stickied - Proved really useful when installing my alarm today
What did you go with?

post #31 of 31 Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytheii View Post
What did you go with?
Scorpio SR-1800 ordered directly from Scorpio.
I also bought the 919 specific wiring harness which literally made the installation plug and play

Just as aerodynamic airplanes are simple and streamlined, a motorcycle--which manages to balance an engine and a seat between two wheels--has a mechanical integrity, with intertwining pipes, chains and springs, that is fascinating to behold - Peter Plagens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode