battery or bike? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Newfie

battery or bike?

I noticed (cuz my bike stopped starting) that I may have an issue with either my bike or battery. First symptom, bike would not start after changing a map on my pcIII. I jumped it and rode for an hour. It seemed to run just fine for a week then it just died again. I jumped it again and went to work. Two days later it died and I was lucky to have a ramp 50 ft from where I park it to get started and ride back home. When I got home the bike started once but that was it. I checked my pos and neg leads for shorts and grounds... nada. Also checked my pcIII and light kit for the same... nada. I am at this point assuming it is my battery due to no shorts or grounds slowly killing the battery. I am trickle charging it again tonight and will bring the battery into a dealer on thur to load test it.

I am hoping that someone can see something I missed and help me get away from dealing with the dealership (Moneyship) if I have too.

Thx all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Lighting the fires.

It's the battery. If it can be bump started, the charging system is working fine: indeed, it, and not the battery, is what powers the electrical system while running (well, above 1,800 RPM). These type of batteries tend to fail suddenly and usually inexplicably, in contrast to servicable types which usually give plenty of warning of trouble.
When replacing the battery, avoid inexpensive Ebay "deals". There are two tiers of price -- around $80 for Yuasa, and $40 for no names with longer warranties, but normally last the length of the warranty plus a couple weeks. The Yuasa I put in mine after buying the bike used has lasted for 3 years so far, and shows no signs of weakening.

Rob

post #3 of 6 Old 10-17-2007, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Newfie

Thx rob,

I also suspected the battery but I wanted the forums opinion. I had called the dealer and they wanted $120 for a replacement. Is there a particular model number for the Yuasa? Can I only get it online?

Thx

post #4 of 6 Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Karl,

Mine has a Yuasa YTZ-10S in it. If you have a Cycle Gear close by try them. They usually have pretty good prices on Yuasa, and run coupons in their advertising flyer for some $ off sometimes. I bought one for the Superhawk at the beginning of the year pretty cheap.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 6 Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I buy system backup batterys for CNC machines for my job and last year went to batterymart.com.

I saved the company approximately two grand buying them on-line rather than use the manufacturer(s).

I've also purchased cordless phone batteries, shaver batteries and odd items from their extensive inventory.

I looked up one for the 919 and it calls for a "Big Crank" AGM type battery for 55 bucks.

A buddy at work who now rides my old 750 Nighthawk bought a battery from them this spring and it seems to be working fine.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Tesserarius

I got a great battery from Walmart for my old Soozook for $40, I don't know if they have one for the 9r or not, but worth a look!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode