Bafflectomy - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 41 Old 04-21-2006, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Bafflectomy

Well, after about a week of owning my new 919, I love it!!! The only complaint I have so far is that the exhaust note is kind of wimpy. I am not ready to go out and buy an aftermarket exhaust at this point, so i am looking for something cheap (free) to give me a little more agressive sound. I have read about the bafflectomy, but I am afraid that it may be too loud. Those of you that have done the bafflectomy, what do you think? Is it annoyingly loud? Are there any alternatives?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-21-2006, 05:30 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

It all depends on what you consider loud. Some owners like the sound while others will say it's too loud. Without really measuring the db level it's a judgment call. The alternative is to drill a series of hole in the plate which surrounds the small tube at the open end of the exhaust.

Instead of hacking up your stock exhaust you might want to pick up a pair of stock cans off of eBay and experiment on them. This way if you are not happy with the results the stock cans can be put back on.

post #3 of 41 Old 04-21-2006, 05:57 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

I have the bafflectomy on my bike and it's really not much louder than most of the aftermarket cans out there. Plus it makes you think you are faster.

post #4 of 41 Old 04-21-2006, 06:15 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
My only complaint when I had bafflectomy cans was the idle sound. For some reason the exhaust note at idle was painful to my ears. It wasn't really too loud, it was just the right note to be aurally offensive. I liked it at every RPM but idle.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #5 of 41 Old 04-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919
My only complaint when I had bafflectomy cans was the idle sound. For some reason the exhaust note at idle was painful to my ears. It wasn't really too loud, it was just the right note to be aurally offensive. I liked it at every RPM but idle.
The idle note can be fixt. Install some tips like these:

Wanna hear the difference? (mp3 format files)
Without tips installed.
With tips installed.

That raspy sound goes away a bit.. plus extending out the exit hole gets the smell off ya. Incidentally, my buddy said that with my new Sato cans... the stink is back. I think I am just riding too slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs
I have the bafflectomy on my bike and it's really not much louder than most of the aftermarket cans out there. Plus it makes you think you are faster.
The Sato's are definitely quieter than Baffelectomized stock exhaust under about 6000 RPM.. above 6k.... the sound is different.. but just as loud from what I can tell.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #6 of 41 Old 04-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

I forgot Moto, did you weld those or use self tapping metal screws? Looks like small screws on the under side of the exhaust. If so any rattle factors?

post #7 of 41 Old 04-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs
I forgot Moto, did you weld those or use self tapping metal screws? Looks like small screws on the under side of the exhaust. If so any rattle factors?
I welded in a small split ring. was careful to not cover the drain hole:

Then stuck in the tips, marked through the drain hole after getting the alignment I wanted. Then drilled and used a small sheet metal screw through the drain hole up into the tip:

The weld beads created just enough resistance that they have never rattled loose. Always been tight as hell.

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #8 of 41 Old 04-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
My debaffled cans had custom dagger style tips, but I imagine that bend on your tips is what helped.

Doesn't matter now, I'm more than happy with my 900RR system w/ CF Yosh can.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #9 of 41 Old 04-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

To Anyone interested:

Hey... I am willing to trade these Bafflectomized cans with the the tips installed straight across for a set of stock non-Baffelectomized cans. My only conditions are:
1) cans only.. we keep our own heat shields, hardware and stuff
2) your cans have to be in excellent condition.. mine are.
3) you pay shipping costs.

I have a PayPal account and if you PayPal me the $ I will ship em out A.S.A.P.
Probably wouldn't be more than $25. I will calculate the exact shipping cost once I know your address.

Any taker should email me: motocycho[at]jactup.com

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #10 of 41 Old 04-23-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

OK, I was thinking about this.....the bafflectomy instructions suggest using two different size holesaw bits to basically core the center tube out. Why not drill a starter hole next to the center pipe and then next to the outer flange and then use a dremel with a carbide bit to cut the pipe out? Seems like it might make a cleaner cut with fewer jagged edges to clean up. Although I admit that I have never used my dremel to cut metal like that.

Bad idea?

post #11 of 41 Old 04-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919Rev
OK, I was thinking about this.....the bafflectomy instructions suggest using two different size holesaw bits to basically core the center tube out. Why not drill a starter hole next to the center pipe and then next to the outer flange and then use a dremel with a carbide bit to cut the pipe out? Seems like it might make a cleaner cut with fewer jagged edges to clean up. Although I admit that I have never used my dremel to cut metal like that.

Bad idea?
Using a Dremel would work.. but honestly, the hole saw method is a piece of cake. It only takes a few minutes to smooth any jagged edges with a half round or round file. Using a Dremel will require more time, a steadier hand, possibly more than one cutting bit... plus you may end up with a hole what ain't that round. Hole saw will always make a round hole. Do the small one.. then the big. Works like a charm! Look up a few posts at my pic.

or....

Take me up on the trade offer perhaps?

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #12 of 41 Old 04-26-2006, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho
Using a Dremel would work.. but honestly, the hole saw method is a piece of cake. It only takes a few minutes to smooth any jagged edges with a half round or round file. Using a Dremel will require more time, a steadier hand, possibly more than one cutting bit... plus you may end up with a hole what ain't that round. Hole saw will always make a round hole. Do the small one.. then the big. Works like a charm! Look up a few posts at my pic.

or....

Take me up on the trade offer perhaps?

I have seriously considered taking your offer, but I kind of feel about my bike the same way I would feel if I had a hot rod/classic car. The satisfaction comes from doing the work yourself, even if it doesn't turn out perfect. I have a need to put my own blood, sweat and tears into it.

Thanks for the offer though!

post #13 of 41 Old 05-27-2006, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Finally bafflectomized my '06 919 today!! Things went really smooth, no problems at all. The sound is so much better than stock. I know, all you guys with Satos are giving me a big yawn right now, but I have a lot of payments left on my bike so I am putting the extra dough towards that right now. Satos will come later!!

post #14 of 41 Old 05-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Removed User 1

motoCYCHO,

Thanks for the pics and the sound files.... I'm loving it... You are the man!

post #15 of 41 Old 05-28-2006, 01:36 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyresto
motoCYCHO,

Thanks for the pics and the sound files.... I'm loving it... You are the man!
Glad to be of service.

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #16 of 41 Old 05-28-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho
Glad to be of service.
I am considering your offer, the baffle part I could handle but I don't have tools for welding so.....

I am weighing the option between spending on the Sato's and using that money toward the principal of my loan...

I have a feeling you may not want my cans anyway. One has about a 3/4 inch long line scratch toward the back. I bought it that way from the dealership, kinda pissed me off but I couldnt find a black919 anywhere else.

post #17 of 41 Old 05-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Sweepuk

I did mine, I love them, look good from behind too (said the bishop to the actress)

See my "how to" here

http://members.lycos.co.uk/sweepyuk/...20debaffle.htm

post #18 of 41 Old 05-28-2006, 01:11 PM

So the bafflectomized (?) cans without any tips installed would pretty much look like an open hole with an empty cylinder down through the center of the can? If that is the case I can see the purpose of putting tips on simply for aesthetics alone.

MC, where did you pick up those tips, or are they homeshopped as well?

Oh, also, does this mod have any positive, neutral or negative effects on performance?

post #19 of 41 Old 05-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Sweepuk

Makes it free-er revving / throttle response is improved , seems to be less restricted to me.

post #20 of 41 Old 05-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortonomics
I am considering your offer, the baffle part I could handle but I don't have tools for welding so.....

I am weighing the option between spending on the Sato's and using that money toward the principal of my loan...

I have a feeling you may not want my cans anyway. One has about a 3/4 inch long line scratch toward the back. I bought it that way from the dealership, kinda pissed me off but I couldn't find a black919 anywhere else.
Is the scratch on the actual can or the heat shield? My offer has us keeping our own heat shields.. cans only trade. The tips I fitted are cut down exhaust tips off the shelf of AutoZone.. and would be included as well.

Let me know.

Off to make some recordings.

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #21 of 41 Old 05-28-2006, 04:05 PM

Well, I was referring to the heat shield on the can itself, which is really the can. I will see if I can take a pic to post sometime tomorrow, off to bars and parties soon...

post #22 of 41 Old 05-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Nice Sweepuk. Welcome to the site. I like your pics.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #23 of 41 Old 05-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Sweepuk

Thanks HondaJim

post #24 of 41 Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Cycho, where did you get the split rings that you welded on your tips?

post #25 of 41 Old 11-14-2008, 02:17 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I love the sound of baffelectomised cans. The only reason I bought Satos is cuz I got em cheap. Used e-bay. I don't think there are any performance gains to be had with the baffelectomy, but what do you want for nuthin?

post #26 of 41 Old 11-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Nice Sweepuk. Welcome to the site. I like your pics.

+1 Your bike looks awesome Sweep!

post #27 of 41 Old 11-14-2008, 05:03 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

+1 on the raspy sound at idle and low rpms.

Shipping a set of cans without heat shields cost about $12 through UPS. I traded earlier this year.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #28 of 41 Old 11-14-2008, 07:08 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

to do the baffelectomy requires purchasing 2 different holesaw bits (bi-metal being the cheaper route) AND the arbor to fit said bits, a round file (if you dont already have one), and some heatproof paint. I did it, costs around 30 usd for all materials. for me, tools are an investment, another one never hurts the collection.

my bike sounds great now too, hope that helps.

Bill

post #29 of 41 Old 11-14-2008, 03:26 PM
It's like... ya know?

I did the bafflectomy after about two months of ownership... I love it! Bike simply screams now, and at idle, it sounds so muscular(especialyl if I give it a quick blip) that everyone looks at it.

post #30 of 41 Old 11-14-2008, 10:34 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Rev and Sweepuk, they look real nice. I used 1 1/2" straight pipe 12" long on mine and it changed the sound a little more. I have pics somewhere in archives. The footlong pipe, with 11" inside the can, cut out the hollow sound.

[
post #31 of 41 Old 11-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I have a pair of bafflectomized cans, and polished heat shields for sale...

2 > 4
post #32 of 41 Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
Rev and Sweepuk, they look real nice. I used 1 1/2" straight pipe 12" long on mine and it changed the sound a little more. I have pics somewhere in archives. The footlong pipe, with 11" inside the can, cut out the hollow sound.
Otis,

I have since removed the extensions, and am playing around with trimming and such to get the sound I want..........

Thanks for the cans

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #33 of 41 Old 07-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Tesserarius

I feel bad for people in the UK with those HUGE plates

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #34 of 41 Old 07-31-2010, 03:52 PM
just ride it...

I did the bafflectomy on mine and I couldn't be happier. I've got a vid on youtube oh how it sounds. I'd post it up, but I'm at work, and can't access youtube. Gave me the sound I wanted without cost a ton of money. I've taken several long trips, including an Iron Butt run with them, and didn't feel they were to loud.

post #35 of 41 Old 07-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I have had my baffles removed fro about 5 years (80,000kms) now. I was always happy with the sound until recently. Even my wife has said that my bike sounds a little off. Hollow sounding. This morning I decided it was time to re-pack the cans. After taking the can apart I could see why i had a hollow sound to them. The right can only had half the packing left in it. Left had none! My baffle jobs is a full bafflectomy so repacking was easy. I just wrapped some R-20 insulation aroung the mesh tube and slid the works back in there. After re-assembly of the bike I took it out for a test ride. What a difference! I swear it has about 5 more horse than before. Never noticed a drop in power but it is nice to have it back. It was starting to get hard to power wheelie before but now, no problem.

Spoiler:

post #36 of 41 Old 07-31-2010, 05:32 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
I have had my baffles removed fro about 5 years (80,000kms) now. I was always happy with the sound until recently. Even my wife has said that my bike sounds a little off. Hollow sounding. This morning I decided it was time to re-pack the cans. After taking the can apart I could see why i had a hollow sound to them. The right can only had half the packing left in it. Left had none! My baffle jobs is a full bafflectomy so repacking was easy. I just wrapped some R-20 insulation aroung the mesh tube and slid the works back in there. After re-assembly of the bike I took it out for a test ride. What a difference! I swear it has about 5 more horse than before. Never noticed a drop in power but it is nice to have it back. It was starting to get hard to power wheelie before but now, no problem.
Proving yet again that more noise does not necessarily equate to more horsepower.

post #37 of 41 Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Cornicen

I did the bafflectomy, and liked the sound...didn't mind the decrease in low-rpm torque. Then, I put a PC-III on it...MUCH better. THEN, I put turn-down ends on the pipes. WOWEE! I literally have to be aware when I take off fast from a light, as the front wheel will lift if there is any excuse to do so. Hit the ridge in the middle of an intersection in 2nd the other day, and the front wheel didn't touch back down until I had gone over the three lanes on the other side of the ridge (it was probably only up about 6-8 inches the entire time, but, it was a surprise). I'm very happy with this setup.

post #38 of 41 Old 08-17-2010, 03:01 AM
Carp Killer

I didn't much like the exhaust sound before the baffelectomy but it was nice and quite. I did mine and was actually surprised how much louder it was. As far as I'm concerned it's just on the precipice of being uncomfortable and it would be nice a decibel or two lower but the bike sounds a HELL of a lot better.

But what the hell... I can't hear my exhaust at 100mph anyway

post #39 of 41 Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Duuuuuuurp.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
I have mine partially debaffled with no tips installed. What caused you to loose the packing? I have the convenience of riding my '02 919 with partial debafflectomy and g00gl3it's '07 919 with 900rr conversion and CF Scorpion Exhaust and a PCIII. I feel TONS more power in his bike and I am wondering if there is another reason why mine would have surprisingly less power even with his upgrades over mine.

Spoiler:

Apparently I need to hit a few more states
post #40 of 41 Old 10-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIRIS View Post
I have mine partially debaffled with no tips installed. What caused you to loose the packing? I have the convenience of riding my '02 919 with partial debafflectomy and g00gl3it's '07 919 with 900rr conversion and CF Scorpion Exhaust and a PCIII. I feel TONS more power in his bike and I am wondering if there is another reason why mine would have surprisingly less power even with his upgrades over mine.
Until the two are ran on the same dyno it could just be the feel. I've "opened up" bikes before and I think the sound plays a big part in what you "feel." Ran on the dyno they only gained a small amount, but the sound made it seem like there was something there that wasn't. Still feels good though.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode