Bad bearings? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 04-20-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Bad bearings?

I have an 04' 919, My first "sportie" anyways, over the winter I had the rear wheel off and such, put it back on and it's going good, so i thought. When I get up to speed (50mph) I have a loud "humming" noise coming from the rear left, I have lubed the chain well and it's look pretty aligned to me, and I still get the noise. Is it possible to install wheel spacers backwards on the 919? and if I did, did it just kill the bearing possibly? can you visually see if the bearing is toast?

Any input would be great, I'm gonna have the bike back up on the stand this weekend so I'm looking for ideas on what to look for

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Discen

I'd check your chain tension. Too tight usually gives you a humm.

post #3 of 25 Old 04-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Take it back off (the wheel) and put your finger in it to see if the inner sleeve rotates smoothly, and move your finger up and down and side to side to see if it moves around at all.

2 > 4
post #4 of 25 Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Discen

okay thanks guys, I'll look into the chain tension tomorrow evening and report back, and I'll check the bearing this weekend

post #5 of 25 Old 04-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

If you have a way of keeping the rear wheel off the ground, just try moving the whole wheel side to side.

Spoiler:

post #6 of 25 Old 04-21-2009, 03:18 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples1234 View Post
I'd check your chain tension. Too tight usually gives you a humm.
On a ride many years ago, a bike went past me and it sounded like a LandRover with those chunky tyres on it - Whurrrurrrurrr. He pulled into a gas station and so did I. I went over to him and asked him about the noise and he said he to noticed it but didn't know what it was. I felt the chain and it had no play whatsoever. In those day bikes had centre stands so we put it up and I adjusted it (toolkits even had a spanner for the axle nut back then). He was over the moon about it and offered to pay for my gas but I said it was OK...!!!

post #7 of 25 Old 04-21-2009, 04:35 AM
Not too swift

Interesting that this thread just popped up right after I'd finished tensioning my chain. Since I had the rear wheel off the ground, I did notice that I have some play on the axle/hub after I'd tightened everything. I was gonna ask if that means I should replace the bearings, but it kinda bugs me that at just shy of 9,000 miles I need to do this.
Any other recommendations?

2003 Honda 919, Carbon Sato's, PCIII-USB planned asphalt gray
2007 Majestic Blue NISMO KC, 4x4, 6-speed, Gibson catback, Clarion DUZ385SAT
2007 Trek EX8-Custom parts build by me for me
1992 Nissan 240sx- SR20DET swap, HKS intake, exhaust, and SSQV, VLSD, S14 Silvia JDM seats(super comfy), Exedy clutch
post #8 of 25 Old 04-21-2009, 05:39 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

While I really like this motorcycle perhaps more than any other I've owned, I wonder about the "legendary" Honda quality. Rear wheel bearings were scrap after 9000 miles, as if they came with no grease at all. Now at 13,000 miles the front suspension sounds and feels crunchy, and the rear is also making noises under heavy compression. I wonder if the swingarm bearings are dry as well. My bike has only been caught in the rain a few times. I'm sure I'll fix all these things eventually, it's paid for and like I said I really like it.
For what it's worth AllBalls Racing has wheel bearing kits for the 919, inexpensive and high quality.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #9 of 25 Old 04-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Bearings can wear at different rates. Mine lasted until 35 000 miles. If you have play in the wheel side to side, it could be the bearings. Instead of ordering from your local Honda dealer, take your bearings to a bearing supply store. They usually have them in stock and cost a lot less money.

Spoiler:

post #10 of 25 Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Sheepdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Instead of ordering from your local Honda dealer, take your bearings to a bearing supply store. They usually have them in stock and cost a lot less money.
This is the best advice you will ever get about bearings. The quality of the bearings will be much better, and the price will be very reasonable, especially since this will probably be the last time you will have to replace them in your lifetime. I do this with all my Honda restorations (the old-timers have open, caged ball bearings that require regular packing, so I replace them with the highest quality sealed bearings I can find. The bearing supply store can help you cross them if you don't know how.)

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
post #11 of 25 Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Sometimes the OEM bearings have addiquit grease in them and sometimes they don't! There's a thread on here that Darkace posted showing the replacement of his wheel bearings that we did here in my shop last year. When I mentioned that stock Honda bearings sometimes have little or almost no grease in them, I was met with skepticism. When I popped the rubber seals off in order to reveal the bearing race, Rob Tharalson, XR Mikey and Darkace were stunned! (Sokali allready knew this fact because we had repacked and replace his wheel bearings a few months earlier).
I repack all the bearings (wheel, swingarm, steering) on any new bike I get, especially if it's a Honda.

Professional
post #12 of 25 Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
Sometimes the OEM bearings have addiquit grease in them and sometimes they don't! There's a thread on here that Darkace posted showing the replacement of his wheel bearings that we did here in my shop last year. When I mentioned that stock Honda bearings sometimes have little or almost no grease in them, I was met with skepticism. When I popped the rubber seals off in order to reveal the bearing race, Rob Tharalson, XR Mikey and Darkace were stunned! (Sokali allready knew this fact because we had repacked and replace his wheel bearings a few months earlier).
I repack all the bearings (wheel, swingarm, steering) on any new bike I get, especially if it's a Honda.
Wow, good to know. How difficult are the swing arm bearings to replace?

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #13 of 25 Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Optio

HOw are you repacking sealed bearings?

Still need to go to the Honda dealer to get new seals. Otherwise you will be replacing the bearings again even sooner.

Probably can mail order bearings from McMaster or similar outfit. Don't even have to leave home. I supose you could get seals from bikebandit but they don't have a showroom w/ new bikes one can tease themselves with.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #14 of 25 Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic11 View Post
Not sure. I'll let you know soon. I have to do mine this year. They must be close to fininished. 75 000 miles on them now.

Spoiler:

post #15 of 25 Old 04-21-2009, 10:56 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic11 View Post
Not hard at all if you have the correct tool to extract and reinstall the bearings. You don't have to completly remove them to repack them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring919 View Post
HOw are you repacking sealed bearings?

Still need to go to the Honda dealer to get new seals. Otherwise you will be replacing the bearings again even sooner.

Probably can mail order bearings from McMaster or similar outfit. Don't even have to leave home. I supose you could get seals from bikebandit but they don't have a showroom w/ new bikes one can tease themselves with.
I made a small tool to remove the rubber seals. With a little care and the right technique you can pop the seal off the bearing without damaging anything and just pop it back on after you have repacked the bearing, but you have to be very careful. I have been using this method for about 35 years with excellent results. Search for Darkace's post about replacing his wheel bearings and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Professional
post #16 of 25 Old 04-22-2009, 12:42 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Yes I was stunned. Barely any grease at all. Sokali actually started the post. The pics got buried in my inbox under spam mail. Thanks again for putting that up Sokali. One of the pics should show Rob getting the seal off with a thin piece of metal.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #17 of 25 Old 04-22-2009, 07:47 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Not sure. I'll let you know soon. I have to do mine this year. They must be close to fininished. 75 000 miles on them now.
75,000 impressive! Sheesh, stop once in a while and have a beer and a sammich!

post #18 of 25 Old 04-22-2009, 07:51 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
One of the pics should show Rob getting the seal off with a thin piece of metal.
Actually Brian, I believe that was me.

Professional
post #19 of 25 Old 04-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
Yes I was stunned. Barely any grease at all. Sokali actually started the post. The pics got buried in my inbox under spam mail. Thanks again for putting that up Sokali. One of the pics should show Rob getting the seal off with a thin piece of metal.
Got a link or a pic of the tool?
Best I could find was this Sokali thread.

post #20 of 25 Old 04-22-2009, 01:49 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Here you go Mike.
I made this particular tool from a street sweeper bristle I found in the street in front of my house. I used a belt sander to thin it out and taper it. It's .020 thick and .110 wide. All edges are smoothed out.
The idea is to get the tool smoothly under the lip of the seal and gently pry upwards around the inside diameter of the seal. It sometimes helps to slightly twist the tool to the left or right to get the seal to pop up. It is very important not to crease, bend or tear the seal so it can be re-used. (Ham-fisted guys need not apply!) The seal will pop right back on when you are done repacking the bearing. In almost all cases, you do not have to remove the bearing to do this, just the seal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0525.JPG (61.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0526.JPG (57.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0528.JPG (112.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0530.JPG (92.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0531.JPG (82.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0532.JPG (103.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0539.JPG (63.3 KB, 36 views)

Professional
post #21 of 25 Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Excellent! This thread belongs in the 919 Helpful Topics. I wonder if a old 0.020" feeler gauge tapered to your dimensions would work?

Thanks -

post #22 of 25 Old 04-23-2009, 02:22 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Actually Brian, I believe that was me.
My apologies. The only reason I have for the mistake is I hit my head on the nose door of a helo before posting that.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #23 of 25 Old 04-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Tirone

I am starting to notice a ticking in the front end when coasting at slow speeds. Does that mean my wheel bearings are going south?

post #24 of 25 Old 04-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

That is your brake buttons on the front discs more than likely. It is normal to hear them at slow speeds.

Spoiler:

post #25 of 25 Old 04-23-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

it is a definate possobility, if you can get the front wheel up, roll it around and listen, feel how smooth it rolls, and if it is lose. if these things do not indicate worn bearings, look for playing cards taped to fork legs. those kids get me with that one all the time...

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode