Backlit gauges for 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 05-26-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Backlit gauges for 919

It has become very apparent while riding at night that the gauges on my '03 919 don't light up. Should they light up, and if so any ideas on what might be wrong? If not, has anyone installed aftermarket instruments with back-lighting?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

yes they should light up, maybe a loose connector in the headlight bucket.

post #3 of 27 Old 05-26-2010, 04:17 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Or blown bulbs

post #4 of 27 Old 05-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Pilus Posterior

Check the connectors - pretty sure there are led bulbs in there so they rarely blow.

But I may be wrong - I was once.

post #5 of 27 Old 05-26-2010, 11:48 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

There are atleast 2 incandescent bulbs, odometer LCD may have its own source of light.

post #6 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Gets censored

Yeah like the others said, there are several lights in the guage cluster you have a connection/fuse issue.

post #7 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

All gauge illumination (including the odometer, which explains why it's so hard to see) is handled by two 5 watt incandescent bulbs, almost certainly burned out in this case. Fortunately there are plenty of sources for LED replacement bulbs. Just do a search here, several members have purchased and installed them.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #8 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 08:05 AM
The Cripple

i think theres only 2 bulbs.. and they're standard incandescent bulbs. atleast there were 2 in mine

check your wiring in the headlight assemb (cuz its the easiest). if everything checks out ok and still no lights, tear into your cluster and check the blubs. you can either replace them or go LED. i currently have the blue ones and while they look mad bling, it's kinda hard to see at night since the gauge face numbers are so small. i have red ones lying around so i'm thinkin of switch to those.

post #9 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
i think theres only 2 bulbs.. and they're standard incandescent bulbs. atleast there were 2 in mine

check your wiring in the headlight assemb (cuz its the easiest). if everything checks out ok and still no lights, tear into your cluster and check the blubs. you can either replace them or go LED. i currently have the blue ones and while they look mad bling, it's kinda hard to see at night since the gauge face numbers are so small. i have red ones lying around so i'm thinkin of switch to those.
I think the problem most are having with LED replacements is the viewing angle of most LED's designed for that socket suck for viewing angle, so you're only going to light up the top part of the gauges. I've tried several methods to deal with it but have failed so far. My latest has yet to be tested, but I'm convinced it will work. I'll post the info if/when I do get around to it! (anyone have an extra roundtoit?)

post #10 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
I'll post the info if/when I do get around to it! (anyone have an extra roundtoit?)
Here you go buddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg roundtuit.jpeg (3.1 KB, 185 views)

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #11 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
I think the problem most are having with LED replacements is the viewing angle of most LED's designed for that socket suck for viewing angle, so you're only going to light up the top part of the gauges. I've tried several methods to deal with it but have failed so far. My latest has yet to be tested, but I'm convinced it will work. I'll post the info if/when I do get around to it! (anyone have an extra roundtoit?)
Someone should put the people at Timex Watches on the problem, their backlightling would work great! lol

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #12 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 AM
efe
Tirone

Are these stock bulbs factory soldered or do they have sockets for easy replacement?

post #13 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

sockets, I don't remember the bulb type though.

post #14 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for all the responses! I also found this thread from a few years ago with some interesting info.

I just went out to checked the fuse box, and the labels there indicate that the illumination is using the same fuse as the turn signals, which are functional, so it'll be a loose connection or a blown out bulb, both of which will require me to remove the headlight.

...was really looking forward to a nice long ride this evening, not maintenance...

My service manual has pretty useless diagrams, so I'll try and photograph the process for future noobs.

post #15 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNotMike View Post
I'll try and photograph the process for future noobs.

Bingo.

post #16 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
I think the problem most are having with LED replacements is the viewing angle of most LED's designed for that socket suck for viewing angle, so you're only going to light up the top part of the gauges.
LED's are quite unidirectional as they come from the manufacturer, but this can be changed.

#1 is the LED as it comes out of the package, pretty well lensed for a narrow beam.

#2 is the same LED with the lens ground flat. This diffuses the light up to a 80 degree cone pattern depending on how much of the lens is removed. Sneak up on it.

#3 is the shape I used to iluminate the ODO / trip / clock display. Brother did that make a big difference! In this case I epoxied the LED to the board under the display and hard wired the LED and ballast resistor to switched power and ground. Of course you have to completely dismantle the instrument cluster to do this, but it isn't as if you're going to have to service it ever again, so as a one shot deal it's not too bad.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #17 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
if you look up the thread i posted in asking about leds, you'll see the kind i'm currently using has 5 leds. 1 up top 1 on each side. PLENTY of light! its just the numbers are hard to see with the blue... as i said, i'm thinkin of switchin to red as suggested in that thread.

post #18 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
if you look up the thread i posted in asking about leds, you'll see the kind i'm currently using has 5 leds. 1 up top 1 on each side. PLENTY of light! its just the numbers are hard to see with the blue... as i said, i'm thinkin of switchin to red as suggested in that thread.
I installed the same 5 LED type bulb in RED, looks cool and it isvery easy to read at night

post #19 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 06:19 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
What I'm trying to do, is make it so that colors like blue are transmitted better throughout the case. In the end, it may still be hard to read depending on the color of blue being emitted (dark blue on black is hard to read regardless...)

post #20 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Gets censored

I just tried a 4 led stlye one and i lit the top up something fierce, the rest not so much so those suck. i put some blue incandecent bulbs in and Im less than impressed, Ill order some differnt ones (LEDs not bulbs) if it really burns me up.

post #21 of 27 Old 05-28-2010, 03:19 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

Here's a link to an old thread about putting the LED's in the guages.

https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...-done-yet.html

post #22 of 27 Old 05-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Tirone

When you are talking about the "5 led bulb" i am assuming you are meaning something like these?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...FWLED-xHP5.htm

just for giggles - has anyone tried fitting these in (9 LEDs)

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...LED-WHP9-T.htm

or would these just be overkill?

post #23 of 27 Old 05-28-2010, 01:17 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraso View Post
When you are talking about the "5 led bulb" i am assuming you are meaning something like these?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...FWLED-xHP5.htm

just for giggles - has anyone tried fitting these in (9 LEDs)

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...LED-WHP9-T.htm

or would these just be overkill?
The 5 LED bulbs will work, the 9's may be too long/tall, I didn't look into the opening to see how deep it was.

post #24 of 27 Old 05-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Le So Cal Troll

thats a great idea on grinding down the lenses of led's to get a wider viewing angle! Did you leave the final surface a matte or polished finish?

I think i may have to to some experimenting! (always hated how directional my LED blinkers were!)

post #25 of 27 Old 05-28-2010, 02:59 PM
The Cripple

nd4sp, try some rizomas or that dude from canada, cant remember his name.

post #26 of 27 Old 05-28-2010, 08:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

the 5 LED units I have are built considerably more different, ... as far as the 9 LED units go, I measured about 45mm of overall depth from the back of the inner tray to the back of the gauge face. the plug itself is 20mm from the tip to where it sits flush on the tray. with the bulb base being about 14mm, you're looking at a dept of 39mm to the fauce... I'm confident the 9 LED unit would fit, but I'm not sure of the viewing angle of the component LED's on the "unit....I'm willing to bet you'll have a bright spot at the top of the gauges, but it may not be too bad.

post #27 of 27 Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
nd4sp, try some rizomas or that dude from canada, cant remember his name.
naw i tested it on a spare led and filing down the lense so that there was a decent flat spot made it much more diffused... then i proceeded to pop the lenses off my LED blinkers and got to filing... its much better now... i may even frost the inside of the lens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode