At the risk of sounding like an idiot... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 08-18-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

At the risk of sounding like an idiot...

I searched... and didn't find anything.

How do these little under seat hooks work? I can't get to them from under the bike, and I don't think they are supposed to poke out and hit the fairing...

Anyone have pictures of the 'right' way to use the hooks?

This is on an '02 919 so I only have the 2 under the pass. seat.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-18-2008, 09:14 PM

I fixed mine by using ear plugs. still get the sound of the
exhaust whilst riding and can still hear all the tintops.

I've got 26000k's on mine now and have gone through heaps of earplugs but hey it works.

post #3 of 16 Old 08-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Don't they just fold out when you want to use them? Uh, thats what mine do, but maybe I don't fully understand your question...

post #4 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcycles View Post
Don't they just fold out when you want to use them? Uh, thats what mine do, but maybe I don't fully understand your question...
I think you do...

Do I fold them out from underneath the seat 180* So they come out from the side of the seat and not underneath the bike?

I was trying to figure out how the hooks extended in to the rear fenderwell, having them fold out to rest on the fairing didn't seem like enough leverage....

post #5 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 AM
I like yellow bikes

Lightbulb My recollection

If you fold them out as far as they go they should clip into some black plastic bits that supposedly hold them in place. You then reattach the seat with them sticking out of the sides. Be aware though that it is worth putting a little bit of protective tape underneath the ends of them, as with a fully laden bag on them they can drum on the tail unit and damage the stickers/paint there.

Janet the jet
post #6 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 06:04 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I bought a set of helmet thingies, (I forget their technical name) a pair of flat metal pieces with a "T" on one end to catch the D-rings on your helmet, and a hole in the end to slip over the little ball-end on the hooks you're referring to.
They didn't seem to work worth a crap 'cause they'd slip between the bikes helmet hooks & the tail piece. So I went to a local hardware store & searched through the yellow plastic boxes full of goodies & came out victorious with a pair of rubber grommets to insert into the holes on my afore-mentioned "thingies".

Now they work a little better - at least the grommets prevent the whole works from scratching the paint & dropping the helmet.

...but usually I just leave them under the seat & hang my helmet on the passenger footpegs.

post #7 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 06:24 AM

damn,

this was in the wrong post. should be in the one about the low speed knocking noise.

Duh.

post #8 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet the jet View Post
If you fold them out as far as they go they should clip into some black plastic bits that supposedly hold them in place. You then reattach the seat with them sticking out of the sides. Be aware though that it is worth putting a little bit of protective tape underneath the ends of them, as with a fully laden bag on them they can drum on the tail unit and damage the stickers/paint there.
I'll take another look... Thank you much.

Someone up there ^ mentioned ear plugs to put over the tips. Good thing I've got an endless supply of ear plugs from work

I've got an expandable Fieldsheer tail bag that attaches via bungee cords... I poked around last night trying to find the best way to mount it. Looks like I'll have to get creative...

post #9 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 06:33 AM
Unbannable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
How do these little under seat hooks work?

post #10 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I know... I'm feeling a bit weetodddid...

post #11 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 07:05 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I feel left out, I dont seem to have a single hook under my seat. Is it possible that these were removed by the dude that rebuilt the bike?

post #12 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

This info. is in our 919 Helpful topics. 02' 03' seat is on the right.

post #13 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=MisterMike;226878]This info. is in our 919 Helpful topics. 02' 03' seat is on the right.
[QUOTE]

Yes sir. I saw your link... But having the hooks ride on the plastic fairing just didn't look right... I've seen a few people that bungee under the exhaust / seat. I couln't figure out if the hooks were supposed to be accessable from under the bike (drop down under the rear fender) or poke out the side.

Seems like the hooks were an afterthought. Some engineer probably said "dudes, how the heck are people going to strap stuff to the bike...? Hey, I've got an idea... Lets put some cheezy little hooks under the seat!"

post #14 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
This info. is in our 919 Helpful topics. 02' 03' seat is on the right.

Doh! I guess I wasn't left out I guess it's time to review the 919 helpful topics.

post #15 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Discen

They have a plastic tension clip built into the seat pan that locks the metal hook in place. As long as the hook is locked in place it shouldn't touch the paint.

And if you are using the bungee cords, the tension from the cord hooks will pull the hook up away from the paint as well.
However, to be safe, I also went to hardware store and bought some rubber caps (they only had white in the proper diameter) to cover the metal ends to hep avoid scratching paint. They still rub if you push down on them, but won't scratch.

Cheesy, yes, but still functional.

I use the hooks about 2-3 times per month. Having a sport rack helps, but sometimes I still need the extra tie down points.

2006 Honda 919
post #16 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolff View Post
They have a plastic tension clip built into the seat pan that locks the metal hook in place. As long as the hook is locked in place it shouldn't touch the paint.

And if you are using the bungee cords, the tension from the cord hooks will pull the hook up away from the paint as well.
However, to be safe, I also went to hardware store and bought some rubber caps (they only had white in the proper diameter) to cover the metal ends to hep avoid scratching paint. They still rub if you push down on them, but won't scratch.

Cheesy, yes, but still functional.

I use the hooks about 2-3 times per month. Having a sport rack helps, but sometimes I still need the extra tie down points.

Very helpful. Thank you sir!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode