Anyone know where I can get a Power Commander III - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 07-11-2008, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Al

Anyone know where I can get a Power Commander III

Location - (Drury) South Auckland, New Zealand...
Bike - Hornet 900 (919)

Been hearing some wicked things about them. While I don't expect to double horsepower, it would be nice to have a PC III USB for when I change mufflers. Asked a few people around town and strangely enough nobody seems that interested in pointing me in the right direction, so I'll just have to find out for myself, wont I...???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Curmudgeon time.

I know there will be a lot of argument on this subject, but there is little to be gained from installing a PCIII on the 919. Not only will it not "double the power", at best it may give you a passing hiccup of increase, and depending on the map installed may actually make less. One of the supposed improvements obtainable from it is better driveability, and for the life of me I can't fathom what it's proponents are talking about. Of the thousands of motorcycles I've ridden, the 919 has the best manners in this regard. I'm convinced what is being bandied about is the fact that when you move the throttle a tiny bit it actually responds. Oh, the horror! What it boils down to is if you are used to big sloppy moves you shouldn't be surprised at big sloppy results, because that's exactly what you'll get. The stock system rewards accuracy and smoothness, so if that's not your style ... Of course if you prefer fiddling to riding then it's the product for you.

Of all the "mods" (I hate that abbreviation, but it's wormed its way into the lexicon) that can be done to the 919, and there are thousands, from a cost versus benefit point of view the PCIII and the attendant dyno time required to really get any kind of results from it at all has to be very close to the bottom of the list.

Do yourself a favour and just ride the silly thing for at least 5,000 miles before deciding that the fuel injection system is crap and needs considerable help to just keep the motor running. By all means install whatever decibel increasers you wish, but know that unless they are full on megaphones with no baffling whatever the stock EFI will work just fine.

By now you have probably concluded that I'll be of absolutely no help with obtaining a PCIII, but I'm sure there are plenty of others willing to step up to the wicket.

Let the flaming begin.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #3 of 8 Old 07-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Tirone

AMPS sell,install and dynotune PC3s.
Suposely do a good job.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-12-2008, 06:34 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
I know there will be a lot of argument on this subject, but there is little to be gained from installing a PCIII on the 919. Not only will it not "double the power", at best it may give you a passing hiccup of increase, and depending on the map installed may actually make less. One of the supposed improvements obtainable from it is better driveability, and for the life of me I can't fathom what it's proponents are talking about. Of the thousands of motorcycles I've ridden, the 919 has the best manners in this regard. I'm convinced what is being bandied about is the fact that when you move the throttle a tiny bit it actually responds. Oh, the horror! What it boils down to is if you are used to big sloppy moves you shouldn't be surprised at big sloppy results, because that's exactly what you'll get. The stock system rewards accuracy and smoothness, so if that's not your style ... Of course if you prefer fiddling to riding then it's the product for you.

Of all the "mods" (I hate that abbreviation, but it's wormed its way into the lexicon) that can be done to the 919, and there are thousands, from a cost versus benefit point of view the PCIII and the attendant dyno time required to really get any kind of results from it at all has to be very close to the bottom of the list.

Do yourself a favour and just ride the silly thing for at least 5,000 miles before deciding that the fuel injection system is crap and needs considerable help to just keep the motor running. By all means install whatever decibel increasers you wish, but know that unless they are full on megaphones with no baffling whatever the stock EFI will work just fine.

By now you have probably concluded that I'll be of absolutely no help with obtaining a PCIII, but I'm sure there are plenty of others willing to step up to the wicket.

Let the flaming begin.

Rob

Party Pooper!

post #5 of 8 Old 07-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Well put Rob - Especially liked the spelling of favour

post #6 of 8 Old 07-12-2008, 07:06 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

CeeBee919, I sent you a PM.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-14-2008, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post

Let the flaming begin.

Rob
Point taken - robtharalson...

In actual fact, your line of logic is very similar to the way I think. I was sort of thinking that putting one in may be of benefit to me if I install a better exhaust system sometime in the future, which is quite on the cards. I wouldn't be so silly to expect much, if any at all, of an increase in hp with the standard exhaust. I have heard with the PC III, it usually shows up as more usuable power in mid revs in the Hornet 900 (919) which is probably right where I would appreciate it most. I don't know about in your part of the world but,, I know cars and bikes come out with less than desirable fuel burn characteristics more because of anti pollution policies than for anything else. If I can get a more ridable bike by changing exhausts, I would like to know that the fuel being dumped into the combustion chamber is not too lean or rich for the given rev range. I also like the idea of being able to remap in an instant with the PC III...

Anyway, I was just "thinking" about getting the PC III... Your suggestion of riding the bike for a while before changing anything, makes great sense and I might just do that. I did the air intake mod the other day and that changed things a little. The throttle feels just a tiny bit less sensitive (I think) which feels better for me. Compared to the VTR1000, I feel a little shy of using throttle exiting tight corners with the Hornet because if feels like it wants to get away on me. On the VTR, I could wind the throttle on and let the bike pull me slowly but securely out of any bend but with this bike, I feel a bit shy to whip the throttle because it feels too sensitive. Maybe I'll get used to it soon...

As a package, the Hornet puts a big grin on my face and if I have to keep it the way it is right now, I doubt if I will get too upset...

post #8 of 8 Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by nallac View Post
AMPS sell,install and dynotune PC3s.
Suposely do a good job.
Thanks nallac,,

Phoned them today and they have 'em in stock. The guy answered most of my questions too. Good helpful stuff...

Cheers...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode