Anyone install an Ohlins rear shock in a 9'er? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
speedjunkie

Anyone install an Ohlins rear shock in a 9'er?

So I picked up a used Ohlins and just got the time to install it today. Try to install, anyway. Ohlins' instructions say to mount the reservoir the same as the stock unit, which presumably means running the hose the same route, but when I do that the hose is really getting kinked. The instruction sheet diagram is no help at all. I even tried a different route but couldn't get it. It seems that whatever way I've tried, the hose is on the verge of being totally kinked- and I don't want to ruin this thing trying to jam it in place. I removed the rear wheel to get good access, but regardless the dam reservoir (get it?) hose is giving me fits. Any help is appreciated. In the meantime, have a great new years all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 07:14 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I just routed the hose out the left and kinda let the Res. sit where it wanted to be, you will need to grind q bit of the inner fender away for clearance of the adjuster

post #3 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Princeps Prior

With my Penske I had to cut a new hole for the res........ It's no where near mounted in the same place as the stocker......

post #4 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
I just routed the hose out the left and kinda let the Res. sit where it wanted to be, you will need to grind q bit of the inner fender away for clearance of the adjuster
Yep...me too.

post #5 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
With my Penske I had to cut a new hole for the res........ It's no where near mounted in the same place as the stocker......
Ohlins fits in the stock location with a little modding.

post #6 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
speedjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Ohlins fits in the stock location with a little modding.
So rmb- should the hose be able to go the same route as the stock reservoir? It just doesn't seem possible. Ya think maybe I need to muscle it more?

post #7 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Pilus Posterior

Someone take a photo.

post #8 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 10:13 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb92104 View Post
So rmb- should the hose be able to go the same route as the stock reservoir? It just doesn't seem possible. Ya think maybe I need to muscle it more?
The hose and res need to go under the wiring harness then up to the stock res position, on mine the hose is to the outside, you clearly see the banjo on the res.

post #9 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

post #10 of 20 Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 AM
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb92104 View Post
So I picked up a used Ohlins and just got the time to install it today. Try to install, anyway. Ohlins' instructions say to mount the reservoir the same as the stock unit, which presumably means running the hose the same route, but when I do that the hose is really getting kinked. The instruction sheet diagram is no help at all. I even tried a different route but couldn't get it. It seems that whatever way I've tried, the hose is on the verge of being totally kinked- and I don't want to ruin this thing trying to jam it in place. I removed the rear wheel to get good access, but regardless the dam reservoir (get it?) hose is giving me fits. Any help is appreciated. In the meantime, have a great new years all!

Had that shock was installed by Roger at OnRoadOffRoad Cycles:

On Road Off Road Cycles Home Page
8314 Roan Lane
Austin, TX 78736
T 512 288 8431
F 512 394 3222

He specializes in suspension installation and set-up, especially for track bikes, and has forgotten more about suspension tuning than most will ever know. HIM I'd trust to install and tune the Ohlin's right (me, not so much... )
As for the reservoir--it does go in the OEM position, but unfortunately, you need to cut out the under-seat pan on the left side to clear the reservoir, since it's significantly larger than stock. The line is routed between the frame extension and the radiator reservoir.

Hope this helps...

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig.

--Robert A. Heinlein

GL1500CD Valkyrie
post #11 of 20 Old 01-01-2011, 07:39 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

My hose didn't want to bent that way, I think I'll have to play with it, I like the look with the hose hidden.

post #12 of 20 Old 01-01-2011, 07:46 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post

8314 Roan Lane
Austin, TX 78736
T 512 288 8431
F 512 394 3222

He specializes in suspension installation and set-up, especially for track bikes, and has forgotten more about suspension tuning than most will ever know. HIM I'd trust to install and tune the Ohlin's right (me, not so much... )
As for the reservoir--it does go in the OEM position, but unfortunately, you need to cut out the under-seat pan on the left side to clear the reservoir, since it's significantly larger than stock. The line is routed between the frame extension and the radiator reservoir.

Hope this helps...
The pictures help in the sense that one can see that the adjuster and hose entry is at the opposite end as compared to stock.
If the banjo bolt was loosened and the hose moved 180 degrees, you'd have more hose length to work with and the adjuster would be up front instead of needing to remove the seat to get at it.
I doubt you can loosen the bolt enough to allow movement without loosing some oil, and the sealing washers might not be effective once tightened up.
At worst it would be new sealing washers and recharge of nitrogen.

post #13 of 20 Old 01-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Princeps Prior

.....think you just figured it out....bet his banjo bolt is angled

post #14 of 20 Old 01-01-2011, 11:04 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
.....think you just figured it out....bet his banjo bolt is angled
Looking at all the views, it looks as though the tapping into the body is at an angle - as you were betting on.
It might even be advantageous to also flip the fitting over, that only offering advantage if the entire assembly is reconfigured and the hose rerouted.

post #15 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
speedjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post

8314 Roan Lane
Austin, TX 78736
T 512 288 8431
F 512 394 3222

Hope this helps...
Thanks Shaman, and everybody else. Man- I thought swapping out a shock would be so simple. Out with the old, in with the new. If that hose or fittings were more flexible it would be much easier. Until you try to run that hose, you don't realize how difficult it is. But I can't see loosening the banjo, having a possible leak, having to take it out to fix, and on and on. Hope to have time to work on this today- I'll let you know how it turns out. At least this is simple compared to Xrcajun's smoking engine (in a bad way) after he installed his turbo.

post #16 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 05:40 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
At worst it would be new sealing washers and recharge of nitrogen.
You won't need to recharge it, the nitrogen bladder is on the opposite side of the reservoir.

On the side note: OEM 919 bladder is different than anything else out there, it basically useless. Showa used reversed bladder design that you won't see anywhere.

post #17 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 06:28 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
You won't need to recharge it, the nitrogen bladder is on the opposite side of the reservoir.
Hi zaq,

But the oil will be pressurized, right ?
If so, then :
If the bolt could be backed off just enough to allow repositioning of the hose, then nipped up again, maybe he'd be lucky and lose barely any oil and the washers reseal OK, lucky again on that point, right ?
But if he was to try flipping the fitting over, he'd have to remove the bolt and instantly lose a bunch of oil, to the point of having to add oil. In which case he'd be better to bleed off the bladder first, maybe get away with not having to add oil but have to recharge the bladder. Right ?

Regards,

McTavish McRomo

post #18 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 07:06 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

He will definitely loose some fluid, depending how much he well back it out.
However, I wouldn't do it regardless. Once you unbolt it, there are no guarantee that sealing washers will hold again

post #19 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Cornicen

Ahh, living vicariously through this exercise.

...Surely it cant be as complicated as it seems though. LDH has sold a couple of these to fellow WT members. How'd everyone else solve the mounting conundrum?

post #20 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
speedjunkie

^^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode