anyone have problems accidentally downshifting? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

anyone have problems accidentally downshifting?

its wierd, i didnt have any problems with the stock shifter, but i just installed some sato rearsets about a week ago and i seem to keep accidentally downshifting....... i will have my foot on top of the peg and when i reach down to upshift my big ass foot barely catches the edge of the shifter and it clicks down a gear

i think its more of a training issue to train my foot to just go out a little bit more

and i wouldnt be worried too much, if it just did it under normal riding, but once i did it while at about 9k rpm and overrevved the crap out of it

luckily nothing broke its been riding fine since then but i would like for it to quit happening........... maybe lowering the shifter position a little more? its already at a pretty decent angle, maybe a little lower than stock postition

thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 12:48 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

happens every now and again when my foot gets lazy. Turning your foot out is not the answer, because then you are more likely to scrape it when turning. Need to put the ball of your foot on the peg when your not shifting.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #3 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The most important thing is to acclimate to the new peg / shifter position by finding a deserted as possible stretch of road and really concentrate on shifting up and down through as many gears as possible -- keep in mind you are not wringing it's neck, just training your brain to know where everything is and what moves are required to shift properly. Remember to return your foot to it's normal riding position between each shift, since that's where the difficulty lies.

Also, raise the shifter to make putting your foot under it as easy as possible: as you have already found out, downshifts are much easier to do accidentally than upshifts.

You may want to consider switching to a reversed shift (called "GP shift") pattern sometime in the future. It only takes a couple minutes to do by moving the shift arm 1 tooth less than 180 degrees on the shaft to point up instead of down and adjusting the height of the pedal. I have never ridden my '02 with a "normal" pattern, and in fact I first did this over 30 years ago and have converted every bike I've owned since. To me it makes shifting more positive and prevents dragging you toes on the road when upshifting during left corner exits.
Have fun acclimating!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #4 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

something else to consider is your boots, if your shoe has a wide sole that sticks out that could be resolved by changing to a boot design for motorcycling or... I rode in Cowboy boots for years, before i started track riding, which i found was a good alternative because the tapper of the toe allowed my foot to move past the shifter with minimal outward ankle turn.

post #5 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

thanks for the tips guys, the GP shifter sounds like a good idea i may try to use it that way, but holy cow ive shifted my entire life normally, im not sure if i could get used to it

and i keep the balls of my feet on the pegs i try not to hang my feet off to the side

post #6 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 11:58 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Rob always seems to have a great answer to all of our silly Q's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode