Anti-vibe assembly in your handlebars - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Teen Wolf

Anti-vibe assembly in your handlebars

Hey guys i have a quick question about the anti vibe assembly in the handlebars of your motorcycle. My friend says it is beneficial to take these out for some aftermarket ones but could not tell me why, I don't see why this could be hoping maybe you guys could shed some light on the subject. thanks in advance!!

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Pilus Posterior

Nah - you friend is full of crap.

If you are running stock bars I suggest you leave them in - they are often surprisingly heavy (919 ones are) and designed as such to remove high frequency vibrations out of the stock handle bar. Changing to spiffy little brightly coloured alloy ones or ones with skulls and foot-long tassels will only introduce that vibration to your hands.

As a side note I changed to Renthal Ultra Lows and although alloy bars are meant to absorb more vibrations I still mucked around with bar weights - heavy steel ones reduced basically all vibes. Eventually I ended up going with bar-end mirrors and these are heavy enough to do the same job, killing vibes.

Short story - the factory puts them there for a reason, even the hyper sports bikes usually have them to get rid of the vibes and they are the poster child's for motorcycle weight loss. Even if the bike has zero vibes without weights it is good to add the light alloy ones to ensure the end of the bar is not open in the even of an accident.

post #3 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 07:06 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

+1
I switched to Coerce low bars and on long rides my hands got numb.
I installed a Barsnake AND bar end weights = no more problems.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #4 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
+1
I switched to Coerce low bars and on long rides my hands got numb.
I installed a Barsnake AND bar end weights = no more problems.
How did you get your Coerce bars to fit with the controls smacking the tank at full lock ? (For sure you used the Coerce "Competition Low" and not the "Competition High", correct ?)
I bought two pairs assuming they would fit, but found a severe interference problem and had to buy Renthal UltraLows instead.
Did you restrict your steering lock range or use some kind of riser ?

I'd really appreciate your experience on this point.

post #5 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Yes, I did use the Coerce Low.
I just rotated the bars forward a little bit in the holders until the controls just cleared the tank. They may be a little forward of straight but they work.
I did not drill the bars for the controls and I know I'll get flamed for that.

post #6 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
I just rotated the bars forward a little bit in the holders until the controls just cleared the tank. They may be a little forward of straight but they work.
Jeez, don't get so defensive! You'd probably get flamed either way, this place is equal opportunity like that!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #7 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 01:17 PM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotten Mouth Chris View Post
Hey guys i have a quick question about the anti vibe assembly in the handlebars of your motorcycle. My friend says it is beneficial to take these out for some aftermarket ones but could not tell me why, I don't see why this could be hoping maybe you guys could shed some light on the subject. thanks in advance!!

-Chris
I took all that crap out and installed some bar end mirrors. I can't tell the difference.

Puff puff give Chris (funny name brother)

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #8 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Jeez, don't get so defensive! You'd probably get flamed either way, this place is equal opportunity like that! .
I didn't realize I was being defensive, sorry. I just know most guys here advocate drilling the bars but I was lazy. I was just trying to answer the guys question. Let's all take a deep breath and count to 10.

post #9 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

That's funny! Hope you have a good day, Gary

"The Shadow"
post #10 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I put the bars on bare, sat on the bike, aligned them were the "comfy spot" was, and then did a steering lock check and there was less than 1/2 inch gap where the control pods would go.
Then I mocked up how much reduced steering lock I would need, and when I saw how radically reduced that would have to be, took off the spiffy bars and started looking at Renthals again. Too bad, I love the Coerce bends.

I did not drill and would not drill if I had to do it again.

Thanks for taking the time to reply back.

post #11 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Nah - you friend is full of crap.

If you are running stock bars I suggest you leave them in - they are often surprisingly heavy (919 ones are) and designed as such to remove high frequency vibrations out of the stock handle bar. Changing to spiffy little brightly coloured alloy ones or ones with skulls and foot-long tassels will only introduce that vibration to your hands.

As a side note I changed to Renthal Ultra Lows and although alloy bars are meant to absorb more vibrations I still mucked around with bar weights - heavy steel ones reduced basically all vibes. Eventually I ended up going with bar-end mirrors and these are heavy enough to do the same job, killing vibes.

Short story - the factory puts them there for a reason, even the hyper sports bikes usually have them to get rid of the vibes and they are the poster child's for motorcycle weight loss. Even if the bike has zero vibes without weights it is good to add the light alloy ones to ensure the end of the bar is not open in the even of an accident.
+1

I also went with the Renthal ultra lows with a set of custom bar end weights (approx 260g each) held in by rubber nuts. Virtually no vibration, can ride the whole day without any fatique on my hands, etc.

post #12 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 04:54 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
+1

I also went with the Renthal ultra lows with a set of custom bar end weights (approx 260g each) held in by rubber nuts. Virtually no vibration, can ride the whole day without any fatique on my hands, etc.
I'm using LSL bar ends (they are rubber isolated type), as well as having the CRG bar end mirrors as clamped on the bar proper. The bar vibration is a fraction of what it was as compared to the ancient set of black chrome steel Tommaselli 189 Superbike bars I still had left over from the late 70s !

post #13 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Optio

I used a TAG metals bar for a Honda mini. Also installed a bar snake and currently have on hand guards but will probably go with bar end weights when warm weather arrives. Not much vibe to speak of.

post #14 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Teen Wolf

thanks for all the great info guys

post #15 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

I have suburban machinary bars and ebay bar end mirrors. No vibes. RobT's bars probably dont vibe much either.

Spoiler:
post #16 of 26 Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotten Mouth Chris View Post
thanks for all the great info guys
Check out this thread as well:

https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...s-renthal.html

post #17 of 26 Old 03-02-2010, 01:35 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Reguarding the controls hitting the tank; I cut a couple of 1/2 inch length pieces off a small black hose. It may have been 1/2" id. I slipped them over the protrusions on the frame that keep your bars from turning too far. That reduces how far the bars turn, preventing switchgear from hitting the tank. Been that way for 5 years.

post #18 of 26 Old 06-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Cornicen

Vibranators

I always thought my 919 was a pretty smooth-running engine. My other two bikes are single cylinder 650's, so, anything is smoother than those I suppose. Anyway, I always wondered why my hands still got numb fairly quickly on the 919, because I had my 650's feeling much smoother by installing Vibranators and handguards (they are dual-sports). I took my bike by the shop that makes Vibranators, and they made me a set for the 919.

They took out the stock inserts...what pieces of crap they are. They installed some of these tuned mass damper inserts, and BOOM...the handlebars are DEAD! Well, not totally...from 2100-2400 rpm, I think they vibrate more than before, but, it's like a switch is flipped at about 2500 rpm-up to redline. I mean NO vibration! The weird thing is, I suddenly felt a lot of vibration in the foot pegs. Of course, the footpeg vibration was always there, I just never felt it because of the vibrations I was picking up in my hands.

If anyone else has vibration problems in their hands on this bike, or any other bike, I'd recommend trying these. They make them for many different bikes, and are adding new models weekly. All this time I knew I wasn't gripping the bar tightly, I just assumed it was something else, like too much weight on my hands. Such a simple fix...

post #19 of 26 Old 06-24-2010, 04:44 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I don't ahve to take mine out. They fall out on their own

post #20 of 26 Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Princeps Prior

LOL..... my last 'daily commuter' was a KTM 625smc Supermoto..... non counter-balanced single.

...... the license plate cracked & vibrated off..... the horn mount broke and vibrated off.... could never keep the indicator bulbs working... couldn't see anything in the mirrors.....I'm now sterile for the rest of my life......yada, yada.

Makes me laugh when people talk about vibration problems with any counter-balanced in-line four.....

--- and yes, went with the Renthal Ultra Lows & rubber mounted CRG bar end mirrors ----- absolutely beautiful combination.

post #21 of 26 Old 06-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
Makes me laugh when people talk about vibration problems with any counter-balanced in-line four.....
Numb hands are no laughing matter. If it doesn't bother you, that's great! If any bike DOES cause your hands to go numb, it's a problem. Many cause my hands to go numb...could be from damage due to bicycle racing for years...I don't know. But, I do know these tuned mass damper inserts kill the vibrations, and my hands no longer get numb. It's an instantaneous improvement for me.

post #22 of 26 Old 06-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Aquilifer

"counter balanced" ??

i just bought a Crampbuster for my street 919 and it IMMENSELY reduced right hand fatique. when you're not GRASPING the throttle you receive much less vibration amplitude. first time i rode it on the highway BEFORE the Crampbuster...after not having ridden any bike on the highway for 5 years....i was concerned that the next time i had to use the front brake, i'd either lock it up from numbness or be unable to apply it with any real force. i'm pretty sensitive to bar vibe.

the next ride WITH Crampbuster had no such concerns, though i could obviously feel vibe still.

post #23 of 26 Old 06-25-2010, 02:57 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

+1 on the crampbuster....the BEST $10 I ever spent on my bike...

"The Shadow"
post #24 of 26 Old 06-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Aquilifer

What....................nobody has mentioned filing the bar with BB's or silcone yet.

Color me surprised.

I've tried both on my Sv1000.................nothing helped.................until I traded it off, that was a good day.

post #25 of 26 Old 06-26-2010, 07:09 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Re: BlackHeart

I have the same problem, and same cause about 28 yrs of bicycling with 100 lbs tires. I have cruise on the Hornet and the KRS, this helps alot by moving the hands around. The KRS has NO vibration, but, sometimes my hands go numb.
Gripping hard like on a rough road causes most of it I believe.
I have to force myself to lighten up the grip several times a ride.

[
post #26 of 26 Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
The KRS has NO vibration, but, sometimes my hands go numb.
Nothing better than being from Monroe, except being from WEST Monroe! (I have a non-motorcycle riding ex-classmate from there).

Are your mirrors dead-steady? If not, you could have some vibration that is causing a reflexive tonic contraction, which can aggravate your tendency for your hands to go numb. It doesn't take much...just the specific frequency that exacerbates the reflex, causing the numbness. I actually got numbness quicker on the 919 than either of my (obviously) more vibration-generating 650 thumpers...but, it's not just the amount of vibration, it's the frequency of it. It seems certain frequencies are much more prone to result in numbness, because it may be due to a reflexive mechanism. Reflexes don't usually require any brain feedback, so, the vibration causing the numbness may not even be consciously registering. Reflexes only require a spinal cord loop.

If your mirrors aren't dead quiet and steady, I highly recommend trying these things....Like I said, I never thought the 919 had much of a vibration at all, until I felt what DEAD STILL felt like. No more hand numbness.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode