Another Wreck - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Another Wreck

Crashed today. Learned gear=good.

Sidi's are good. I think my foot got pinched between the bike and the ground at one point, not sure though.

HJC's are good.

Leather gloves are good.

Leather jacket is good but somehow my arm got scraped anyway.

Jeans are bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 05:10 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Looks like you are able to walk away. When I went down my jacket came up. I ended up with a rasberry about half the size of a sheet of paper on my back. Good to see you aren't hurt too bad.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #3 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 05:11 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Very minor roadrash IMO.... But how's the bike? Glad you're ok.

post #4 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Looks like it could have been MUCH worse - glad you are alright. Live to ride another day.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #5 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Glad you made it. How fast were you going?

Sidi boots ARE good, made tough. Imagine what your foot/ankle would have looked like with Nike's on? Eshhh.

I'll give you the quick reason why your arm looks like that before Wim gets here and talks our ear off. Your jacket has play in it between it and your arm itself. If you're going 30mph, and biff, the jacket hits the ground and moves that little bit at arouind 30mph before your arm moves at all. So the jacket scuffs your. Wear a tighter jacket and it won't happen...as much. Buy Dainese, they are painted on.

It looks like your helmet only got scratched on the visor?? Is that right? If so, you are a lucky ho, no visor and keep wearing it. If not, toss the helmet and buy a new one.

What kind of gloves where those? Stupid seam burst on it. Thats' weird.

Jeans...yeah.

Why did I type all that? Because I'm really bored.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #6 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

glad to hear your ok!! how bad did the bike take it??

post #7 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicracer View Post
Very minor roadrash IMO....
Yes, I am glad you said that, it is very minor. There is 2 reasons for this:
a. The accident wasn't very severe.
b. With the exception of jeans, I was wearing proper riding gear.

Basically what happened is I was being a dumbass and crashed. I was out riding with my friend (on a 636). I don't ride with people much so I was quite excited/pumped up about riding with him. Anyways, we were going fast, and generally being stupid. We came out of a corner and he accelerated pretty far out in front of me so I got on it in 2nd and accerlerated up to like 80 maybe. I was coming up on him when he decided to turn left in front of me. I slammed on both brakes and the rear locked, maybe the front too I am not sure. The next thing I knew I was on the ground sliding and my bike was next to me/on top of me. Luckily my bike only lightly bumped his rear tire so he was fine. I accept responsibility for this crash though. If I had not been speeding/not giving enough room there would have been no crash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
I don't know how fast I was going when I wrecked but the scratches from my bike on the road lasted like 50 feet.

post #8 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 07:04 PM

Garage

Awards Showcase

Good to hear it is not that bad, and that you accepted responsibility. Now that that learning experience is over, fix the bike, get new gear, and get riding again.

Have you taken an MSF course?

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

post #9 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Sidi boots ARE good, made tough. Imagine what your foot/ankle would have looked like with Nike's on? Eshhh.

I'll give you the quick reason why your arm looks like that before Wim gets here and talks our ear off. Your jacket has play in it between it and your arm itself. If you're going 30mph, and biff, the jacket hits the ground and moves that little bit at arouind 30mph before your arm moves at all. So the jacket scuffs your. Wear a tighter jacket and it won't happen...as much. Buy Dainese, they are painted on.
Yeah, this makes sense. The jacket I was wearing is extremely loose. I am 6'4" and my armspan is like 6'8" so I had to get a big jacket so the sleeves were long enough. Of course clothing companies assume tall means I am a heavy set which I am not so my jacket is way large in the torso and sleeves.

Quote:
It looks like your helmet only got scratched on the visor?? Is that right? If so, you are a lucky ho, no visor and keep wearing it. If not, toss the helmet and buy a new one.
If you look close there is very slight scratches below the visor, I think my helmet is ok. My visor mechanism (not the visor itself) broke, is there a way to fix that?

Quote:
I don't see any sort of a brand on the gloves...they say Kevlar on them? Maybe they are not made to survive motorcycle crashes I don't know?

post #10 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
Good to hear it is not that bad, and that you accepted responsibility. Now that that learning experience is over, fix the bike, get new gear, and get riding again.

Have you taken an MSF course?
Yes I have taken the MSF and recommend it to everyone I know that wants to ride motorcycle.

The other thing that sucks is this is the second time I have crashed this bike. I also crashed two years ago. That's why I called it "Another Wreck."

post #11 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 07:19 PM

Garage

Awards Showcase

Yikes. I never want to wreck ever again. When I did in Aug, I felt like I just did something along the lines of throwing a first born kid out the window. Something you just shouldn't do.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #12 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
If you look close there is very slight scratches below the visor, I think my helmet is ok. My visor mechanism (not the visor itself) broke, is there a way to fix that?
Yeah, I saw those scratches. If that's it, then I'd keep wearing it.

Those mechanisms on the helmets screw off and can be replaced for pretty cheap. I have an extra one in my drawer for my old HJC AC-11, not sure it would fit or not. With my AC-11, it just broke for no reason, just closing the lid... Cheapo. They gave me both sides for free.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #13 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Unbannable

Maybe you should change your name to motowrecks

Just kidding. Glad you're OK.

post #14 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Yikes. I never want to wreck ever again. When I did in Aug, I felt like I just did something along the lines of throwing a first born kid out the window. Something you just shouldn't do.
Holding back on a Michael Jackson joke....

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #15 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Yeah, this makes sense. The jacket I was wearing is extremely loose. I am 6'4" and my armspan is like 6'8" so I had to get a big jacket so the sleeves were long enough. Of course clothing companies assume tall means I am a heavy set which I am not so my jacket is way large in the torso and sleeves.
This is what I did. I recommend it. Just don't ever gain weight or you'll be really pissed.(If you're married, you probably won't gain much more than you already did, so you're safe.[If you're not married assume 50lbs more for when you DO get married])

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #16 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 08:16 PM

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Holding back on a Michael Jackson joke....
I was wondering when someone was going to say something about that. Holding back¿ When have you ever done that?

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #17 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Glad to hear your OK. Cracking up at the PS controller next to the boot, there is the perfect place to get crazy stupid with a bike!!

post #18 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Quote:
Buy Dainese, they are painted on.
I've hit the deck wearing Italy's finest and can say you will still have some marks, even if they're just impact marks and burns from heat. What I didn't do was a comparo of the same impact with a substandard suit!

Gear won't make you bullet proof or invisible but it "should" have you riding the day after bail.

post #19 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
I've hit the deck wearing Italy's finest and can say you will still have some marks, even if they're just impact marks and burns from heat. What I didn't do was a comparo of the same impact with a substandard suit!

Gear won't make you bullet proof or invisible but it "should" have you riding the day after bail.
Dude! I want an invisible suit!

Apparently what I said before sounded like I was implying that you can't get hurt in a crash with a better fitting suit? Oh wait, no it didn't.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #20 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Quote:
Dude! I want an invisible suit!

Apparently what I said before sounded like I was implying that you can't get hurt in a crash with a better fitting suit? Oh wait, no it didn't.
Not really but a lot of newer folks can get confused about what gear will and won't do. They get hurt once and turn into the anti-biker. You've met them.

Batman has the invisible suit, it's handy for avoiding tickets.

post #21 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Back on track.

motorwerks919, please share pictures of the bike if you can.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #22 of 39 Old 09-17-2006, 10:15 PM

Garage

Awards Showcase

Invisible suits....On no! Who is riding that bike¿

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #23 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 02:43 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Ive got an invisible suit I'll sell you.

post #24 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Back on track.

motorwerks919, please share pictures of the bike if you can.
I'll take some later. I just haven't felt like looking at it you know.

post #25 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicracer View Post
Ive got an invisible suit I'll sell you.
I've got some invisible money I'll pay you with. Sold.

motorwerks, sorry about the crash, but glad you're in relatively good shape.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #26 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 07:46 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Glad you made it.

Jeans...yeah.

Why did I type all that? Because I'm really bored.
Ahhhh..... I feel so proud of Ragdoll.... I have taught him well, the Force is strong in this one. Your comments are spot on buddy, no need to add more to it.

Quote:

I don't see any sort of a brand on the gloves...they say Kevlar on them? Maybe they are not made to survive motorcycle crashes I don't know?
Loose fitting gear is asking for trouble as Ragdoll rightfully points out, especially when the impact areas are loose. The armour would do more to hurt than protect you if it is all loose. Lessons learned, but most importantly you were at least wearing some gear, so I am happy to hear you made it out of this one with minimal injury. Can you send a complete picture of your helmet? It looks like it should be okay, just make sure you don't have any serious dings anywhere. If it is afforadable, best option is to replace it. If there are no other scrapes other than what is in the picture, then it seems okay... sorry to be redundant. By the way does your insurance cover riding gear?

As for the gloves.... well, if you were sliding a bit, it is possible the stitches could get burnt out, or if your hand got caught by a sharp edge or lever, that tear could happen. Kevlar itelf is not hard enough to prevent impact injuries and the like, it is stretch Kevlar. I hate to plug - but if you need a pair, lemme know.

Quote:
This is what I did. I recommend it. Just don't ever gain weight or you'll be really pissed.(If you're married, you probably won't gain much more than you already did, so you're safe.[If you're not married assume 50lbs more for when you DO get married])
Custom fit is always a good way to go... but MAN! Do they cost a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post

Agreed!

post #27 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
Loose fitting gear is asking for trouble as Ragdoll rightfully points out, especially when the impact areas are loose. The armour would do more to hurt than protect you if it is all loose. Lessons learned, but most importantly you were at least wearing some gear, so I am happy to hear you made it out of this one with minimal injury. Can you send a complete picture of your helmet? It looks like it should be okay, just make sure you don't have any serious dings anywhere. If it is afforadable, best option is to replace it. If there are no other scrapes other than what is in the picture, then it seems okay... sorry to be redundant. By the way does your insurance cover riding gear?
The only scratches on my helmet were the ones in the picture. I think my head didn't really "impact" the ground, but gently touched down and then dragged for a bit.
Quote:
As for the gloves.... well, if you were sliding a bit, it is possible the stitches could get burnt out, or if your hand got caught by a sharp edge or lever, that tear could happen. Kevlar itelf is not hard enough to prevent impact injuries and the like, it is stretch Kevlar. I hate to plug - but if you need a pair, lemme know.
Yeah, WIM, I would love to buy a pair of your gloves. Unfortunately the gloves that were destroyed were my cold weather gloves. So now I need some new cold weather gloves(solid leather with insulation) but I already have a pair of Cortech warm weather gloves that are perforated.

Quote:
Custom fit is always a good way to go... but MAN! Do they cost a lot!
Yeah, thats a big problem for me. That and the nearest Dainese dealer looks to be in Wisconsin.

post #28 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Yeah, thats a big problem for me. That and the nearest Dainese dealer looks to be in Wisconsin.
There is a dealer here?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #29 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Oh, CORSE SUPER BIKE in SAUKVILLE, WI? That's the closest to you? Link

Otherwise you can talk to the guys at Kneedraggers.com and they will hook you up right to your house. They will take your measurements and have the suit made for you. Atleast they did 2 years ago. Was like $150-200 more for custom suit? I didn't pay attention. Took like 3-4 months though.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #30 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 02:20 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
The only scratches on my helmet were the ones in the picture. I think my head didn't really "impact" the ground, but gently touched down and then dragged for a bit.
Glad to hear that man!

Quote:
Yeah, WIM, I would love to buy a pair of your gloves. Unfortunately the gloves that were destroyed were my cold weather gloves. So now I need some new cold weather gloves(solid leather with insulation) but I already have a pair of Cortech warm weather gloves that are perforated.
Not to worry about that mate, if you ever need a pair just let me know.

Quote:
Hmmmm..... are you in a position to get a Dainese custom suit?

post #31 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Here's some damage pics from my accident two years ago. It's basically this same sh!t all over again. My tail isn't as bad this time, but my tank and alternator cover are worse. Did I mention crashing really sucks? Today my left hip is swollen up huge and hurts like a bitch. And my whole upper body is f-ed up (basically just really sore).

Me and my dad are in the process of repairing this tank. It's going pretty good actually, I just don't feel like purchasing a third tank.

Will be buying my third f-ing alternator cover.

Why did Honda have to make these signals stick out so far?...j/k

post #32 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 PM

Garage

Awards Showcase

A new tank on servicehonda.com will cost you about $400. It is $414 for the 05' Cali version.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #33 of 39 Old 09-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
A new tank on servicehonda.com will cost you about $400. It is $414 for the 05' Cali version.
That beats Ron Ayers by $20. Otherwise you can ride it out until you see one on e-bay. Nothing there right now, though.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #34 of 39 Old 09-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Unbannable

I say you buy a sheet of raw steel and go at it with a hammer and pillow untill you form a nice new tank! Grow a handlebar mustashe first.

post #35 of 39 Old 09-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I saw ride it as is and then as opportunity for deals come up, buy the parts you need. And even then I would still ride with the junk on, incase it happens again.

I bought junk plastics for my bike and just ride around with those, just in case. Who cares if it doesn't look so pretty, it's still fun.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #36 of 39 Old 09-19-2006, 08:57 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I saw ride it as is and then as opportunity for deals come up, buy the parts you need. And even then I would still ride with the junk on, incase it happens again.

I bought junk for my bike and just ride around the junker. Who cares if it doesn't look so pretty.
I agree... if there are no leaks, just ride it as it is for now. But don't do what Ragdoll did.

post #37 of 39 Old 09-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

What'd I do?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #38 of 39 Old 09-19-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I bought junk plastics for my bike and just ride around with those, just in case. Who cares if it doesn't look so pretty, it's still fun.
Yeah, that is sort of what I am going to do. We are repairing the tank using body putty and painting it ourselves. We are not done yet but already you can't tell there was damage unless you look really close. It will only cost like 30 bucks so thats not so bad. Then we are going to put a new alternator cover on ($60 I think, not bad either). The only other things I will get are a footpeg and maybe new grips because mine are pretty messed up. There is probably like 10 other pieces with slight damage but I will just live with it.

post #39 of 39 Old 09-19-2006, 11:04 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
What'd I do?
what didn't you do???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode