Another track day - slowly getting better - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Another track day - slowly getting better

I did another track day last week and am slowly making progress. I still have a lot more work to do on proper body position and getting off the bike more, but I’m getting there.

My wife was in the bleachers tracking lap times and my laps were really consistent. Consistently good? Consistently bad?? My fastest and slowest laps of each session were usually only about 2 seconds apart. My fastest lap was still about half a minute off the track record - I figure that’s not terrible for a sport touring bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Discen

sweet pics, nice lookin bike too

post #3 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Nice pics thanks
Did you have some rubber boogers on the chicken strip area after?

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #4 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

LOTS of rubber boogers front and rear. The track is mostly left-handed - I really wish is was an even amount of both directions. Still TONS of fun!

post #5 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
LOTS of rubber boogers front and rear. The track is mostly left-handed - I really wish is was an even amount of both directions. Still TONS of fun!
flip tires & run em backwards. Avoid rain.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #6 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 02:01 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

DAaaaamn!!! them r' some nice high quality pics!!

Lookin' good out there

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 02:15 PM
h8tenhogs

wish i had a track to do that at. safer than the street. On occasion i get a little juiced and slide the back tire out a little of a red light after the arrow gives me the left turn. lips touch my earlobes when that happens

post #8 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_919 View Post

Lookin' good out there
EXIF IFD0

* Camera Make = Canon
* Camera Model = Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Nice camera. Sheesh.

30 seconds off the track record where the record is 2:00 is OK.
30 seconds off the track record where the record is 1:00 is not OK.

post #9 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_919 View Post
Some of my photographer friends have wanted to come out and take pictures, but they only allow their designated photographer on the track. The guy does a pretty good job.
A few days after each event the photos are available for viewing and purchase online.

post #10 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post

30 seconds off the track record where the record is 2:00 is OK.
30 seconds off the track record where the record is 1:00 is not OK.
The track is 2.25 miles long and the track record is 1:32x (I believe). Some of the fast guys have lap times in the 1:40s.

I went out for six sessions that day. Some sessions were better than others. My better sessions were consistently around 2:03 and the slowest session had consistent lap times around 2:10. A couple laps of the fastest session had lap times at 1:58.
I'm not one of the racers out there every week, and not on anything close to a race bike, so for now, I feel pretty good about my times.

The way some of the liter bikes were passing me like I was standing still at the end of the straight, and then leaving me at the exit of some corners, my 9er wouldn't have a chance in hell at coming close their times, or that record!
With stock gearing I come into turn 1 at the end of the straight at 125-130mph. The fast guys are reportedly going 170mph at the same spot.

The 9er is a lot of fun, but is definitely not a race bike!

post #11 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Most excellent pics! Glad you had a good time.

post #12 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Carp Killer

Very cool lookin bike and those pics are wicked. Is that an RC-51 conversion you've done?

post #13 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallybanger View Post
Very cool lookin bike and those pics are wicked. Is that an RC-51 conversion you've done?
Yes, RC-51 forks and front wheel. It was a long, drawn out project, but I finally completed it with quite a bit of help from a number of members on this site.

post #14 of 27 Old 08-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Cornicen

Ain't it a blast? Great pics!

...Great taste in helmets, nice s4. I have the same one.

post #15 of 27 Old 08-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

It's always strange to see pics of what you're actually doing versus what you think you're doing whilst on track. Looks like you have some of the same issues I had when I first started doing trackdays, which is setting up.

Next time out put a piece of tape on your tank with KM written on it as a reminder. Kiss mirror. Took me a while to get my head and torso down and outside the bike. It helped me to put my outside elbow on the tank, which forced me to bend my inside elbow and lower my body. Then try to kiss the (non-existent) mirror. Takes some work if it doesn't feel natural.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #16 of 27 Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 AM
McTavish

Quote:
The track is 2.25 miles long and the track record is 1:32x (I believe). Some of the fast guys have lap times in the 1:40s.

I went out for six sessions that day. Some sessions were better than others. My better sessions were consistently around 2:03 and the slowest session had consistent lap times around 2:10. A couple laps of the fastest session had lap times at 1:58.
I'm not one of the racers out there every week, and not on anything close to a race bike, so for now, I feel pretty good about my times.

The way some of the liter bikes were passing me like I was standing still at the end of the straight, and then leaving me at the exit of some corners, my 9er wouldn't have a chance in hell at coming close their times, or that record!
With stock gearing I come into turn 1 at the end of the straight at 125-130mph. The fast guys are reportedly going 170mph at the same spot.

The 9er is a lot of fun, but is definitely not a race bike!
I did a track night last night at Race City in Calgary. Had a riot. It's a 10 turn track that uses the drag strip for the main straight. Intermediate group. Lots of traffic. I get blasted on the main straight by almost everything, mine was the only naked out last night, lots of 600s, some 1000s. I found there was a good number of sport bikes I was able to reel in nicely once I hit turn 1 after the main straight. The 919 is not a race bike, but it sure can be hustled around nicely but you do have to muscle it, especially for quick transitions. I will admit I have invested $ into my suspension, and that makes things easier for me as a very intermediate rider.

post #17 of 27 Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post
...Great taste in helmets, nice s4. I have the same one.
I really like the styling and it's comfortable and not too heavy, but I'm not that impressed with the overall package. The strap started fraying after 6 months from pulling it through the D-rings - I've had tons of different dirt helmets over the past 35+ years and 4 street helmets in the past 8 years, and I've never seen a helmet do that (maybe I've just been lucky). It's also the noisiest helmet I've ever owned. On the rare occasion that I don't put earplugs in, it's more like wearing a ballcap than a helmet - no real difference in sound with it on or off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
It's always strange to see pics of what you're actually doing versus what you think you're doing whilst on track. Looks like you have some of the same issues I had when I first started doing trackdays, which is setting up.

Next time out put a piece of tape on your tank with KM written on it as a reminder. Kiss mirror. Took me a while to get my head and torso down and outside the bike. It helped me to put my outside elbow on the tank, which forced me to bend my inside elbow and lower my body. Then try to kiss the (non-existent) mirror. Takes some work if it doesn't feel natural.
Great advice! I "feel" like I'm getting my head down and outside, but I know that it's not nearly enough. It's more like I'm keeping my ass planted and just pivoting at the waist instead of sliding my ass off the seat more and really moving my body weight to either side of the bike. Something to focus on at the next track day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I did a track night last night at Race City in Calgary. Had a riot. It's a 10 turn track that uses the drag strip for the main straight. Intermediate group. Lots of traffic. I get blasted on the main straight by almost everything, mine was the only naked out last night, lots of 600s, some 1000s. I found there was a good number of sport bikes I was able to reel in nicely once I hit turn 1 after the main straight. The 919 is not a race bike, but it sure can be hustled around nicely but you do have to muscle it, especially for quick transitions. I will admit I have invested $ into my suspension, and that makes things easier for me as a very intermediate rider.
Glad you had a great track day, it sounds like fun! I'm always surprised at how fast those 600s are when they scream past me on the straight. I found the rev limiter a few times while trying to keep up. I had a good battle with a Triumph Daytona 675 one session. I was 2-3 bike lenghths behind him the entire 20 minutes. A few places on the track I could get a wheel in but then he would pull back away. The 919 did a respectable job, it was a lot of fun. It's impressive that a bike with almost 244cc less displacement has about 30 more horsepower.
I've never really ridden a sportbike other than (GSXR 1000, ZX-6) up and down the street or around the block. I'd love to take one out on the track and feel the difference.

post #18 of 27 Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I really like the styling and it's comfortable and not too heavy, but I'm not that impressed with the overall package. The strap started fraying after 6 months from pulling it through the D-rings - I've had tons of different dirt helmets over the past 35+ years and 4 street helmets in the past 8 years, and I've never seen a helmet do that (maybe I've just been lucky). It's also the noisiest helmet I've ever owned. On the rare occasion that I don't put earplugs in, it's more like wearing a ballcap than a helmet - no real difference in sound with it on or off.

Great advice! I "feel" like I'm getting my head down and outside, but I know that it's not nearly enough. It's more like I'm keeping my ass planted and just pivoting at the waist instead of sliding my ass off the seat more and really moving my body weight to either side of the bike. Something to focus on at the next track day.

Glad you had a great track day, it sounds like fun! I'm always surprised at how fast those 600s are when they scream past me on the straight. I found the rev limiter a few times while trying to keep up. I had a good battle with a Triumph Daytona 675 one session. I was 2-3 bike lenghths behind him the entire 20 minutes. A few places on the track I could get a wheel in but then he would pull back away. The 919 did a respectable job, it was a lot of fun. It's impressive that a bike with almost 244cc less displacement has about 30 more horsepower.
I've never really ridden a sportbike other than (GSXR 1000, ZX-6) up and down the street or around the block. I'd love to take one out on the track and feel the difference.
I've got a GSXR750 I'm dabbling with but a bad knee keeps me from riding much (the 919 doesn't need an extreme bend at the knee). As for the difference, how about a whole new world. Scalpel vs axe. And the supersports are roughly 75 pounds lighter than the 919 too. The lighter weight and higher HP combo really lets them jump a 919 at will, especially once the aero penalty kicks in big on a naked, say 80 mph and higher.

post #19 of 27 Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Well done & great pics.

post #20 of 27 Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Very Cool Bro!!!!

Love the pics!

post #21 of 27 Old 08-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Nice job mdtoney! It takes practice. One guy told me "put the crack of your butt on the corner of the seat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeriley View Post
wish i had a track to do that at. safer than the street.
Beaverun is only 200 miles from you and it's a fun track! Nesba goes there twice a year I think.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Wamp...864403&2v=CITY

www.beaverun.com
www.nesba.com

post #22 of 27 Old 08-21-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
Nice job mdtoney! It takes practice. One guy told me "put the crack of your butt on the corner of the seat"
Exactly! I'll be working on that next track day. I'm sure it'll make a huge difference.

post #23 of 27 Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Exactly! I'll be working on that next track day. I'm sure it'll make a huge difference.
I'm looking forward to September here in Calgary re Race City
2 is Track Day
15 & 22 are Track Nights
I'm signed up and prepaid for all 3 !

Also.
What temp gauge readings are you seeing.
We had a real cooker of a day on Wednesday.
The air temp over the asphalt was in the 90s, noting also our very dry and thinner air.
I was getting 3/4 of the gauge display for a reading by the end of each session. Normally it does not go past 1/2. Track has a long straight so is making full power for a fair length of time. Normally I don't see the gauge go past half way. Cooling system is clean and full, has 75% water 25 % glycol which is much better than 50/50 for cooling, plus I'm using WaterWetter and I have heat wrapped my headers from the exhaust port down to a few inches below the bottom of the rad. Fuel injection is correct, and I'm assuming the ignition timing is correct seeing as I have never touched it. Rad fan works when it is supposed to. Am using regular unleaded pump gas. It's making good power, as I'm hitting at least 135 honest legit MPH before braking for Turn 1. Had any similar experience ?

post #24 of 27 Old 08-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Don't worry about your cooling system. If it has coolant at the correct level, you will be fine.
I think my R6 runs around the track at about 190-200 degrees and is usually at 10000-14000 rpm the whole time (you really have to wring its neck to get it to go, lol)
When the session is over and I pull into the pits it's at 205-212. I use water wetter.

post #25 of 27 Old 08-21-2010, 05:35 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
Don't worry about your cooling system. If it has coolant at the correct level, you will be fine.
I think my R6 runs around the track at about 190-200 degrees and is usually at 10000-14000 rpm the whole time (you really have to wring its neck to get it to go, lol)
When the session is over and I pull into the pits it's at 205-212. I use water wetter.
Thanks for the comments.
I figured that the system was stable, but could only find an equilibrium that was higher on the gauge than normal.

What would be good to know is what Lord Duck Hunter experienced when he was running his 919 in Louisiana at Track Days a few years ago. I'll bet he logged thousands of track miles in hot weather.

LDH, are you out there watching ?

:001_smile:

post #26 of 27 Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I'm looking forward to September here in Calgary re Race City
2 is Track Day
15 & 22 are Track Nights
I'm signed up and prepaid for all 3 !

Also.
What temp gauge readings are you seeing.
We had a real cooker of a day on Wednesday.
The air temp over the asphalt was in the 90s, noting also our very dry and thinner air.
I was getting 3/4 of the gauge display for a reading by the end of each session. Normally it does not go past 1/2. Track has a long straight so is making full power for a fair length of time. Normally I don't see the gauge go past half way. Cooling system is clean and full, has 75% water 25 % glycol which is much better than 50/50 for cooling, plus I'm using WaterWetter and I have heat wrapped my headers from the exhaust port down to a few inches below the bottom of the rad. Fuel injection is correct, and I'm assuming the ignition timing is correct seeing as I have never touched it. Rad fan works when it is supposed to. Am using regular unleaded pump gas. It's making good power, as I'm hitting at least 135 honest legit MPH before braking for Turn 1. Had any similar experience ?
Three track days in September alone?!?! NICE! Have fun!

I have two more scheduled this season - 9/9 and 10/14.

As far as temps, my last two track days were right at 80 degrees, so not very hot days. I wasn't paying close attention, but the temp gauge was somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4. I think you're in good shape.

post #27 of 27 Old 08-23-2010, 03:45 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Three track days in September alone?!?! NICE! Have fun!

I have two more scheduled this season - 9/9 and 10/14.

As far as temps, my last two track days were right at 80 degrees, so not very hot days. I wasn't paying close attention, but the temp gauge was somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4. I think you're in good shape.
Good to know where your gauge was.
Mine stabilized at 3/4 but came down nicely when I pitted after each session.
It was in the low 90s, air temp in F that is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode