Another potential owner thread ... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 03:25 PM
fly2low

Another potential owner thread ...

Greetings all,

I haven't been riding in almost 7 years (unless you consider an occasional use of mopeds ).

I am considering these:

Buell CityX XB9SX
Honda 919
Triumph Speed Triple

Buell is 99% ruled out since friends and mechanics say no.

I hate spongy brakes. So, Triumph is most likely ruled out, too. Plus there are some reliability issues that I heard.

That leaves me with Honda. A dealer within 50 miles can get me a very good deal, about $2500 cheaper than a Triumph.

However, 3 local dealers that I called don't have it in stock. I want to see the bike in person.

I don't know what's the story with Orange County, CA's dealers. I just feel that it is weird that they dont have any 919 in stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

As far as the Buell goes, you are misled. They are great. As for the fun factor, nothing like them. Test ride one and you will see what I mean.

As for the Triumph... Spongy brakes? Early models ahd a problem with it and they MC were rebuilt by the dealer for free. Problem solved - no more spongy brakes. As for reliability, I have not seen one 1050 come into our local shop with a mechanical or electrical issue. Also comes with a two year warranty - so I say misled there as well.

For the Honda, it is what it is. Good, safe, and ole reliable.

Personal preference is personal. So no one can really say you are right or wrong when you sqay what you like. But I think your post is far from my experience with modern Buell and Triumph.

************BTW - Welcome to the site

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Welcome.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2low View Post
I don't know what's the story with Orange County, CA's dealers. I just feel that it is weird that they dont have any 919 in stock.
I wouldn't worry about that. San Antonio had one left when I bought mine, and I haven't seen one at any dealer since. We have all faced the fact, I think, that this bike is not the most popular. I love mine, and will keep it as long as I can. It's a great bike.

-Joe
post #5 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 05:54 PM

well i have owned, and then of course ridden two of those three. Glad to know HondaF4iGuy was willing to stand up for buells. They take alot of beating, which they really dont deserve. They are amazingly fun, easy and cheap to maintain and according to warranty stats some of the most reliable new bike around. Their was reliablity issues with their tube frame bikes. Came for a extremely rapid production expansions durning those years. But all is gone with the XB's. Personaly i am planning on getting a buell again and selling my 919, which has been an excellent and reliable bike, (have almost 30,000 miles on mine) And the 919 has more power than an XB9. But it lacks the character that i adore in buell. The buell got gobs of attention whenever it parked too. I also miss that....

post #6 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Unbannable

I'll also stick up for the Buells. I really really wanted one and i've done lots of research on them. I ride them every year and as many times as the dealers will let me. The only reason I went with the Honda was the HD crowd and the dealers. The HD guys don't like me and I don't like them. There was simply no respect. They pissed me off and I went down the street.

If you get any of those three bikes you will not be disappointed.

post #7 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 08:54 PM

+1 there. Just Having to go into a HD dealer pisses me off. Being treated second class because im a buell owner and i wont be picking up any chrome accesories on my way out, makes it ten times worse. I wish buell could find a new dealer network... wont happen, might not even be good for them if it did... but dang if i wouldnt be happier!

post #8 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

I was looking at the Speed Triple (2004 955i version) and the 919. I had been leaning heavily towards the 919, but I went with the Speed Triple. I was very impressed with the Triumph dealer here in Waco, TX and loved the bike. I have always liked and ridden Hondas, but the Honda dealers in the area would not let me test ride a 919. That kinda turned me off on the Hondas. Did they think their bike would not measure up? I know it would have, but I had ridden the S3 and loved it. Would have hated to get the 919 without riding it only to find out I liked the S3 better in the end.

Personally, I din't think you could go wrong with these either. There are many 919 owners here, if you want additional info on the S3, you can go to triumphrat.net and go to the sport and touring, speed triple forums. I know I started a thread asking for comparison on S3 and 919. Several threads like that here too.

Have fun shopping, I did. Even more fun now that I am done shopping...

Shawn

post #9 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

The local Buell/HD Dealer was SUPER NICE! Apparently they received your feedback! I checked out the Ulysses and was very tempted...but there were a few hesitations. Short 54" wheelbase ~3" less than 919 (for solo is fine, but I wanted it 2up and 919's WB was at the limit), the RPM max is 5500, versus 919s 9500, and the seat is very tall! The sales guy told me "if you are even remotely curious about it come back and take it for a free test ride!" WOW, that offer was soooo tempting... but the 919 won my heart.

post #10 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

+3
HD dealers need to take a dale Carnegie course.They must teach a class in arrogance before working. I can't speak for the Buell but I would definitely listen closely to the advice of the guys in this forum. As for the other two bikes, you can't beat them. The Trumph Speed Triple has NO braking problems! See my signature, I would know. Welcome and good luck

post #11 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 10:30 PM
fly2low

Okay, here is the story ....

My heart goes for Buell and Triumph. Somehow, my guardian angel whispered to me that I will get a lot of trouble with Mr. Po if I get the Triumph

Buell makes me feels like a boy getting a new toy for Xmas. The Triumph makes me feels like Joey Ramone on stage :clown:.

My brain tells me to get Honda. I want a reliable toy that I use once in a while. So, I am expecting the bike to be trouble free and start right up whenever I want to ride, etc.

I have tried the first 2, but I can't find a Honda 919 around.

I tried Yamaha FZ1 and Kawasaki ZR1000. They just don't work for me.

Around here, Buell is about $1000ish more than Honda and Triumph is $2700 more.

Thanks for the input, folks. I am waiting for more.

post #12 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 11:27 PM

check out this site www.badweatherbikers.com for some buell info if you need it.

If you want a great deal on 919 lemme know!

Largely kiddin' since i already revealed the mileage, though i do treat her extremely well.

post #13 of 38 Old 12-15-2006, 04:33 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I test rode the 900 Firebolt 3 or 4 yrs ago. The only complaints I had was the seat had no cushion to it, and shifting was very notchy & had to get into neutral. The following year rode the 900 &, new at the time, 1200. Shifting had gotten better. Both bikes I think are a blast to ride... and tons of torgue. This year at the NYC show a Buell rep said that the trans had been all-new redesign and all shifting troubles cured. If you like the torque or a v-twin, look into the Buell. If you more comfortable w/ inlines, can't go wrong w/ the 919. As for the triple... I got nothing.

post #14 of 38 Old 12-15-2006, 05:55 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

From my limited experience with Buells (test riding a XB12) I came away with three opinions:

1. Stupid engine for a sport standard bike.
2. Superb erganomics.
3. Great looks.

If I were in the market and was considering your options, I'd man up and get that white 1050.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #15 of 38 Old 12-15-2006, 06:13 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

My little brother lives in Virginia and over the Summer picked up an XB12 (his first bike) Tried to talk him into something along a 599 or Bandit 600 but he elected for the Buell. So far he seems to love the thing, but I'll have to wait until Spring to do a real side by side comparison.

post #16 of 38 Old 12-15-2006, 11:35 AM
themightyhornet

All these are awesome bikes.However if you do any two up riding go for the 919
jump on the back of the others and i am sure you will see what i mean but if no two up riding intended? hmmmmmmmmm... a tough call but in the end i chose the Honda because you push the start button and off it will go,whenever you want,wherever you want.I am an auto mechanic and trust me when it comes to electrical systems etc Honda are supreme.

post #17 of 38 Old 12-15-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder View Post
This year at the NYC show a Buell rep said that the trans had been all-new redesign and all shifting troubles cured.
Unfortunately this is Buell's speech year after year. There's a problem that's been cured by an all-new design.

post #18 of 38 Old 12-15-2006, 03:08 PM

2006 model year a new clutch spring and dog gears were used rather than straight cut gears. The change did take place.

there was NO problem with the others, they just werent smooth transmisisons. Though after 8000 miles they were just as smooth as anything else i've ridden. Since reviewers nor test riders will be riding a machine of this age its something only the owner gets to be plesantly suprised with.

post #19 of 38 Old 12-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

My decision time 919 mental stumbling blocks were its squawking horn, no windscreen, and lousy stock seat. After adding a comfy BMS seat, touring windshield, Stebel airhorn and a modulating headlight it's a Classic. We ride 2up cozy all day. It has plenty of power and is very maneuverable.

post #20 of 38 Old 12-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 

If you are worried the 1050 will be powerful. Your right!

post #21 of 38 Old 12-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

If your around West Covina. Berts usually has a 919 in stock.
Check link,scroll down to '2007 sport'. First bike.

http://www.bertsmotorcyclemall.com/m....html#scooters

post #22 of 38 Old 12-16-2006, 06:52 PM
fly2low

I called them today and talked to a salesman. At first, he didnt know what I was talking about. After I explained to him what it is, I got this ridiculos answer:

"Oh yeah, thats the big 599. Honda stopped making that model in 2004 and we never had a used one." I told him that it was a mistake, but he was persistent. He called me couple minutes later confirming that "yes, they stopped that model in 2004 and I have never seen one around."

I do not wish to deal with people who dont know what they are selling.

BTW, I checked both bikes side by side at a different dealership.

Honda wins my brain, Triumph wins my heart. Honda is about $2200 less OTD for both 06 models.

post #23 of 38 Old 12-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
I called them today and talked to a salesman. At first, he didnt know what I was talking about. After I explained to him what it is, I got this ridiculos answer:

"Oh yeah, thats the big 599. Honda stopped making that model in 2004 and we never had a used one." I told him that it was a mistake, but he was persistent. He called me couple minutes later confirming that "yes, they stopped that model in 2004 and I have never seen one around."

I do not wish to deal with people who dont know what they are selling.

BTW, I checked both bikes side by side at a different dealership.

Honda wins my brain, Triumph wins my heart. Honda is about $2200 less OTD for both 06 models.
That's odd, But I can believe it. I bought my 06 9'er from them & they seemed to know something... about it. Dealerships are hiring a lot of unqualified sales people nowadays.
Which ever you decide on? Check out OTD Motorsports. They tend to have the lowest Out The Door costs. The prices they advertise are OTD prices not just base price.
http://www.otdcyclesports.com/default.aspx?storeID=3

post #24 of 38 Old 12-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Tirone

I was at Berts two weeks ago and they had a 02 in stock. If you can't stop by call (626-974-6600) and ask for Mike Wheeler He knows what he is talking about. Unfourtunatly at a dealer as big as berts they have a lot of sales people and most of them are not as bright as we would like.

Glenn

post #25 of 38 Old 12-16-2006, 10:24 PM
fly2low

I might want to get a Speed Triple from out of state. Could someone from out of California help me to check on his bike that it is a 50 state bike and not a 49 bike? Thanks in advance.

This is a reference:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm

post #26 of 38 Old 12-17-2006, 03:26 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I know the 06 tiger had a Cali model. But it was only one little thing different. I cannot recall for the life of me what it was tho

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #27 of 38 Old 12-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

This is the biggest reason I would not by a Buell. Sweet spot is tiny window!

Now that's a torque curve

post #28 of 38 Old 12-18-2006, 09:36 PM
fly2low

I went through some insurance quotes. Speed Triple's is 2x XB12Scg's. 919's is 15% more than Speed Triple's.

I found it very interesting.

post #29 of 38 Old 12-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

CSAA quoted 919 ~40% lower than CBR1000RR. So the rates depend on which insurance company is quoting, Multi-policy and good driver discounts. Within a couple bucks a day difference...it shouldn't be the main decision point.

post #30 of 38 Old 12-18-2006, 10:17 PM

i've been quoted tons for the XB12s due to companies that rate purely by engine size. For further good news i know buell has an agreement worked out with... i think dairyland, to underwrite their bikes for quite cheap.

I pay 200 bucks every six month for full coverage with an accident, ticket and only being 23. For my 919... thats with USAA, if you can con them in to covering a bike.

post #31 of 38 Old 12-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

That deal sounds too good to be true. How much coverage is that, the minimum state requirement of a couple nights in a hospital? How much for adequate coverage ($500K) to fully repair you after a hit and run or uninsured driver accident?

post #32 of 38 Old 12-18-2006, 11:14 PM
fly2low

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackelfox View Post
i've been quoted tons for the XB12s due to companies that rate purely by engine size. For further good news i know buell has an agreement worked out with... i think dairyland, to underwrite their bikes for quite cheap.

I pay 200 bucks every six month for full coverage with an accident, ticket and only being 23. For my 919... thats with USAA, if you can con them in to covering a bike.
I see that you have both a 919 and an XB. Would you give your impressions on them, please? Thanks.

post #33 of 38 Old 12-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Cafe Racer

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

I got quoted $2300 a year for a 919, and $6000 a year for a 1000RR in Miami.
It would cost more a month to insure a 1000RR, then to own it.

post #34 of 38 Old 12-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Richr8

Quote:
I went through some insurance quotes. Speed Triple's is 2x XB12Scg's. 919's is 15% more than Speed Triple's.

I found it very interesting.
You mihght find this even more interesting. My agnet quoted me $2,800 a year for the Speed Triple or the 919. And yes, this was competitive no matter who I called. Then I asked him to check on a CB900F (919 in disguise) ant it came back at 750. yr. Mind you this is full covverage 500/500 collision and comp. It was a no brainer which bike I was getting after that.

post #35 of 38 Old 12-20-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
How much for adequate coverage ($500K) to fully repair you after a hit and run or uninsured driver accident?
I guess you have to purchase full coverage if you finance it. I learned long ago to purchase bikes with cash, even if it takes a long time to save it. This allows me to get liability coverage for a low rate ($85 year for my 919). It's a toy, if I crash it, I fix it. As for paying for hospital bills, that's what my health insurance coverage is for. In TX, the insurance company has to pay regardless of fault.

IMHO the high insurance rates are mainly the result of kids or newbies riding above thier ability with the inevitable crash and claim. Insurance is like gambling, and the odds (rates) are not in your favor if you are a good rider.
If there was a company that had some way to better screen out high-risk riders, rates would probably be half of what they are now.

post #36 of 38 Old 12-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by scope View Post
As for paying for hospital bills, that's what my health insurance coverage is for. In TX, the insurance company has to pay regardless of fault.
Congrats, apparently you have a great job with 100% PPO medical coverage. Unfortunately if you lose your job/insurance in the middle of large injury treatment...you are not covered! You better keep bringing your Boss coffee.

All riders must have adequate coverage. If a state minimum inusured or H&R driver should bump us, then we can afford the best repair possible without selling the roof. This piece of mind keeps me smiling down the road!

Ride Safe!

post #37 of 38 Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

I was looking at the S3 and 919 earlier this year, I went with the 919 because of the price, dealer network and around town maneuverability. The S3 seemed like it could be more fun and has a much more visceral style to it. Ive never ridden a Buell but all of my buddies like theirs. Im sure which ever bike you choose will make you forget that you ever wanted the other two.

post #38 of 38 Old 12-21-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I see that you have both a 919 and an XB. Would you give your impressions on them, please? Thanks.
Sorry, i havent been on in a few days.

As everyone says with everything, it depends on what you want the bike to do. I love opening up my niner on freeway ramps and letting the 4 scream, But its a big heavy bike in comparison to the Buell. Buells carry their weight quite low and so in motion feel 100 pounds less than they are. The buell has a near exotic appeal when you ride it anywhere and gobs more character. I have never had reliability issues with the buell, and if i did i would be under the impression i could fix them myself too. low tech stuff = low maintence and easy maintence.

If its not apparent already i love buells. As much for Erik and the rest of the buell crew as bikes. I cannot say that i dont wish for some extra power though...

oh and they do shake alot, personally i like it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode