another bar question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 09-19-2006, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

another bar question

like others I would like to change my bars.
being short I dont want to be streatched out to bad. the R6 wasn't bad but at times it was a pain in the neck. so what do you think effects being streached out more the height or the pullback? I would say pullback but I'm not sure.
I rode a friends new 06 fz1 and liked the postion (lower than 919)but not sure if the ultra lows would be too low or the streetfighter (being higher) would be too less pullback.
looking for a sportier but not uncomfortable postion.
i thought of maybe the LSL superbike deminsions may be better

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I'm probably the only person in the world who changed bars and then went back to stock. The Renthal lows gave the bike more leverage and didn't cramp my wrists at all. They were just too wide for me and I'm 6' with a pretty good wingspan. I might try remounting this winter after cutting them down some but I recently did +2,500 miles and had no complaints.
I would think being "short" pullback would effect you more than height.

Mike has a handlebar comparo somewhere.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 10 Old 09-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Unbannable

Before I bought the bike I inteded to replace the bars first thing. Now I'm not so sure. I like them in every situation accept trying lanch the bike really quickly. I might get some Suburban Machinery bars. They arn't wide and arn't as low as clip on's.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-19-2006, 08:50 PM
DropBear 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdavidson View Post
... so what do you think effects being streached out more the height or the pullback? I would say pullback but I'm not sure.
I'd say the pullback more so than the height, but it really is a combination of the two.

Unless you're sub 5'5" I'd say the Renthal Ultra lows with about 20mm lopped off of each end are about perfect. (I'm right on 6')
The stock bars have you sitting a little too upright if you're getting into the local twisties, but the R.U.Ls are a good compromise for the daily commute as well as a little rat racing.
You're not leaning heavily on your wrists in traffic, but you can still get down closer to the tank without needing extra elbows in your arms when you're "into it".

post #5 of 10 Old 09-20-2006, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Mike has a handlebar comparo somewhere.
yeah, the comparo, I have looked and looked at it but cant decide what to go with.
I'm 5'6" tall. sort and round lol. but working on the round part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P10.JPG (235.8 KB, 53 views)

post #6 of 10 Old 09-20-2006, 04:05 AM

5-7 short stubby arms.
I run stock bars with Genmar risers. Brings the bars up and back.

I guess I'm the only person on this forum who doesn't think an upright position affects twisty riding, and I ride in the twisties ALL the time, so I speak from very qualified experience. When I want to ride aggressive, I just lean forward, which gives me more leverage on the bars which gives me a quicker turn in.

When I'm done tearing up twisties for the day, the upright seating makes for a comfortable ride home.

The beauty of the risers is this......I don't have to lean forward if I don't want to. But if I do want to, it's not a problem at all.

post #7 of 10 Old 09-20-2006, 04:18 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdavidson View Post
yeah, the comparo, I have looked and looked at it but cant decide what to go with.
I'm 5'6" tall. sort and round lol. but working on the round part.
A little feedback from someone your exact height. I have the ultra lows and they fit my frame size perfectly. The bars have not been chopped and I do not have plans to alter them. Whatever bar you choose it can be changed out for another without much to do.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-20-2006, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

thanks for the feed back guys. when I figure out what I will go with I will post up some pics.

post #9 of 10 Old 09-20-2006, 01:45 PM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Before I bought the bike I inteded to replace the bars first thing. Now I'm not so sure. I like them in every situation accept trying lanch the bike really quickly. I might get some Suburban Machinery bars. They arn't wide and arn't as low as clip on's.

So far I have no problem either with the stock bars...

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #10 of 10 Old 09-20-2006, 07:16 PM
DropBear 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
5-7 short stubby arms.
.... I guess I'm the only person on this forum who doesn't think an upright position affects twisty riding, and I ride in the twisties ALL the time, so I speak from very qualified experience. ...
And from a short armed point of view too matey!
Just messin' wi' ya!

As someone at 6' with a long-ish reach, I can tell ya that the standard bars do make it harder than it needs to be to lean in a little for the hard turns.

I'm not scraping pegs, you understand, (the roads here are atrocious) but I do find it easier to lean into the bike a little better with the lower bars on.
It's actually why I did the bar change in the first place..

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142 View Post
... Whatever bar you choose it can be changed out for another without much to do.
Exactly! It's not like it can't be changed back if it turns out it's not to your liking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode