Another 919 Owner - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Another 919 Owner

Just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Brandon and I am a Hondaholic located in Phoenix.

Today I purchased a 2006 919 to cruise around with my dad. I also own a 2003 RC51 trackbike which was my street bike until I lowsided at the track. I have a history of Hondas in my short existance (30 years old).

In order from newest to oldest:

2006 919
2003 RC51
1998 900RR
1997 600F3
1986 VFR750R
1986 VFR500F

My dad owns a 1982 V45 Sabre in near mint condition, my oldest brother owns a 1985 V65 Sabre and my next oldest also has a 2006 919. We are a Honda family.

I have not had a chance to get out on the 919 as NVH is doing the DYNO break-in procedure for me. I will be picking it up next week and I am getting quite excited. The only mods planned as of now are a 17/44 conversion as this will be my weekend cruiser to hang with my dad. Arizona is a great riding state. I put 7600 miles on the RC in 4 months (twisties are a ways away from my home).

Seems the 919 is really a great and very comfy bike. My brother loves the motor. I love the old school look. To me the bike looks like a big motor with 2 wheels. I was also considering a 2006 VFR, but the bike doesn't have the character the 919 does, and it is an overly complicated bike. I would hate to get the valves checked on that bike!!!

I will post pics as soon as I get it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 08:36 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Welcome aboard! I just recently joined as well, and love Hondas all the same. I have the same regards for the 919 as you, and yes come to think of it....it does look "like a big motor with 2 wheels".

Rob

post #3 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Congrats and welcome aboard. You can't go wrong with the niner unless you've seen the pics of the 2007 model possibly coming out.....It just might be the temptress that make the niner go Or hell it would be a nice big brother to the niner

post #4 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 09:05 AM

Hey welcome, Balbrecht. I am in Chandler and yes, AZ is a perfect riding state (although these days only at night or early morning).

Look me up if you wanna go spin. I don't have a hell of alot of time aside from the family to ride on the weekends, but we can make it happen.

You can email me directly at [email protected], I check that more often.

post #5 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 09:22 AM
Giovanni_919

Welcome aboard! 9er rocks~~!!!

post #6 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Mc 9er

yyyeeeeaaaa,another 9er,welcome

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #7 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 10:32 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome, nice list of bikes

post #8 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I like you man. Welcome aboard.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 01:12 PM
jwill123

Yes sir, Welcome! This forum just kicks ars. Man, time to leave work early and ride home. It's 80 and sunny here in KC, think I'll take the backroads home....late.

post #10 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome guys. This is one of the better forums I have visited, seems to be much less BS here. Not as much hatred running amuck.

Anyways, I just got back form the dealer, all paperwork is done, spare key in my hand. Dyno break-in is scheduled for Tuesday. I ordered AFAM 17/44 (530) conversion. I see no need to waste a perfectly good chain so I stayed 530. This will probably be my only mod as this bike is really my cruising bike. Besides, there is no bike that will ever live up to the RC51 with Sato Banzai's on it anyways. Everything else is just disapointment

I will keep the bike stock (a first for me), just the way Honda intended it. I will get some pics of it with my RC51 (even though the RC is not pretty yet, still have not painted the race plastics).

Oh yeah, I also bought a new Shoei X-11 (metallic silver) today. My last helmet was an Arai Quantum 2 which I will never forget as it saved my noggin at the track. Too bad it had to go to helmet heaven. I have found the Shoei's fit me better. That was my first and only Arai.

I know

My 1st ever track day

A couple more (my technique is much better now)

The RC before:

The RC after:

My Dad's 1982 V45 Sabre. This was a father's day gift last year. My dad sold the bike to my brother (the one who just bought a 919). I bought it back and shipped to AZ from NY

post #11 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 03:24 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Good pics, Cool to see your dad going out riding with ya

post #12 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 06:37 PM
christian81

South Mountain

No twisties close to PHX? When I lived there I liked to ride up south mountain. Crazy twisties there. Not too many miles but you can ride back and forth:tt2: The cars go wicked slow though.

post #13 of 19 Old 06-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Tirone

Greetings.

Thanx for sharing photos. That v45 looks showroom nice.

post #14 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 11:03 AM

South mountain is mui bueno for the twist. Also a good ride out apache trail to Tortilla Flats.

I like the salt river canyon, it is close enough to spin through and get back home in just a couple of hours. ALso, the access road to Bartlett lake up in Carefree is a nice 14 miles with some twists and some nice rises and descents and it almost never patrolled and no traffic at all during the week. It has some beautiful scenery as you totally open up in the straights.

Man, time to ride... later!

post #15 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Welcome aboard and thx for sharing the pics and holy cow tha V45 is mint! Glad you made it out ok from your mishap.

post #16 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs
Welcome aboard and thx for sharing the pics and holy cow tha V45 is mint! Glad you made it out ok from your mishap.
The V45 was originally a gift to my father from my oldest brother. The bike was totalled and Dave (my oldest brother) bought it for $300 and rebuilt it. Dave worked for Honda at the time. Then Dave traded dad his 1984 650 Nighthawk for the Sabre. So the bike has a great deal of sentiment to all of us, including dad. We recently had to replace a few minor instrument cluster pieces because there were some crack. Dad also had a "mishap" and scratched the left side pipe, so we will be ordering a new one of those soon.

Hey ortonomics, we need to hook up sometime. I used to ride Canyon Lake, but there just seems to be way too many 70 year old guys with their F350 full cab, long bed with a 25 foot boat heading up there. I have had far too many close calls simply due to the lack of run-off and stupid old people heading to the lake. SRC is one of my favorite rides. SOMO is fun, but short. My favorite ride is heading up to Prescott via 89 through the White Spars. My main concern lately is all of the youngsters wrecking. So now there are dedicated patrols up there.

One of the reasons I purchased the 919 is the comfy/cruising feel of the bike. Hanging with Dad should be real fun. Not to say the 919 is not a capable carver, because I am sure it is, but the mentality is different than when you are sitting on an RC51. Plus, the PoPo will likely look at me a little different since I will not be on a "crotch rocket" (I hate that term). I just suspect that motorcycles/motorcyclists are stereotyped. A bike with plastic is a bike with a big target sign on it.

post #17 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Tesserarius

Another new 919r

I d like to introduce myself also, "Kiwi Pete", I've had my niner for a month and I just can't get off it, I even take it to bed with me. Last few bikes, Mean Streak, RC51, CBR900RR, the niner is by far the best road bike I've had so far, 17tooth front, mean streak mirrors, no need to do any more for now.
I removed the California can and made a stand that utilizes the mainstand brackets for changing tires
I been reading the posts for a while and the is my first donation.
Regards all

post #18 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I think we have enough of us to form a small army. Welcome to the site PHOBMAN (Kiwi Pete)fellow members, please stay away, he sleeps with his bike.Enjoy the 9er, it's a fun bike.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #19 of 19 Old 06-17-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balbrecht
A bike with plastic is a bike with a big target sign on it.
True, but it is a good thing when you don't get the cop's attention... I see alot of kids with bright colored plastic bikes, flashy clothes, no helmet and spikey hair with dumb shades on parked on the side of the road talking to the fuzz... Meanwhile they don't seem to notice the guy with the black naked bike wearing all black with a black mirrored helmet.

Proud to be stealth and under the "radar"... hope it stays that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode