And I got a flat tire... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 07-26-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Sixty-9er

And I got a flat tire...

Rear must have picked up a nail cause there was a nice lil hole in it. Good thing I was only going 70 on the interstate. But I was in town slowed down and exited the interstate only to find myself walking 2 miles to an auto parts store to get a plug kit and some fix a flat. Least it wasn't 90 degrees out with leathers and a helmet to carry the whole way. Oh wait it was. Today sucked. But I was able to get it fixed and somewhat filled with "air". Enough to make it 20 miles home. Time for some new tires. My stock ones made it to 4400 miles and only had about 500 miles left in them. Think I'm gonna take the wheels off tomorrow and Monday morning take them to the dealer and get some Pilot Roads. And it'll cost me an arm and an a leg cause I need to move on Thursday and tires help that process. It's gonna be a long week.

"Grip it and Rip it!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Newfie

Don't feel too bad. I picked up a nail about 2 weeks ago and replaced my 3k mile metzeler z6's with some Diablo's. I normally get near 10k out of them and now I am expecting about 6k outa the Diablo's.

post #3 of 14 Old 07-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Honda Addict

Damn, bummer dude. Well, at least you were close to the end of the tire life. If you are able to, get the newer Pilot Road 2's. They're getting great reviews and life expectancy. Put a new one on the front recently and I love it. When my half gone Pilot Power rear is finished a Road 2 will be there also.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Dragon Slayer

Sorry bout the tire. Those pilot roads are great,I plan on getting one for the front to match my rear.

post #5 of 14 Old 07-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sorry bout your tire troubles Edge, but you have lit a fire under me to put together a tire emergency kit to carry on my bike....plug kit and C02 Inflator/ cartridges. Good luck with the new tires and the dealer.

post #6 of 14 Old 07-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Discen

I had a brand new pilot power on the rear. Got a nail in it. So I bought a new one, but kept the old one around. I am probably going to patch and plug it and use it when I need a new rear tire. Has anyone run a patched tire without a problem or is this a terrible idea?

post #7 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Most motorcycle shops won't take the liability of patching a tire for you - it's generally considered a bad idea from what I've heard.

I feel your pains, though, I just replaced my tire with 1500 miles on it due to a nail. I've been running with the qualifiers and was wondering about life expectancy. I'll do more research next time around rather than just putting on what was on it last.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Tirone

I have patched 4 rear motorcycle tires in the last few years, 3 of mine and one for a friend with no problems. However, I work in a tire store and have nearly 26 years experience. Motorcycle tires are harder to patch because of limited working space inside the tire and the inner liner is thinner making it harder to buff the area for a patch. Once propperly done, I have full confidence in a patched tire. From what I have seen you would be lucky to find anybody at most dealers or tire stores with the skill to patch any tire right. for that reason, I suggest first -replace a punctured tire. A plug for an emergency. Note that if your rear tire has a steel ply layer it will likely hold a plug a long time. As for a front tire, forgetaboutit.

post #9 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert4 View Post
I have patched 4 rear motorcycle tires in the last few years, 3 of mine and one for a friend with no problems. However, I work in a tire store and have nearly 26 years experience. Motorcycle tires are harder to patch because of limited working space inside the tire and the inner liner is thinner making it harder to buff the area for a patch. Once propperly done, I have full confidence in a patched tire. From what I have seen you would be lucky to find anybody at most dealers or tire stores with the skill to patch any tire right. for that reason, I suggest first -replace a punctured tire. A plug for an emergency. Note that if your rear tire has a steel ply layer it will likely hold a plug a long time. As for a front tire, forgetaboutit.
Great info. Thanks Robert!

post #10 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 02:46 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I've run a plugged rear. The hole was about 2 inches to the right of center. No problems. But I wouldn't do a front. And I don't think I do a rear if the hole was in the center of the tire.

post #11 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

great info thanks guys. putting a tire kit together right now. something you always forget until you need it.

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #12 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I've run a plugged rear. The hole was about 2 inches to the right of center. No problems. But I wouldn't do a front. And I don't think I do a rear if the hole was in the center of the tire.
Why wouldn't you do it if the hole was in the center of the tire. That is where mine is and I was thinking that since it is in the middle it would be safer than towards the outside...

post #13 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 03:13 PM
I Love Parallel Twins

I plugged my brand new rear diable strada, nail was in the center of the tread, the thickest part and it has held tight for several months. I can't even tell where it was now. Has anyone ever used that green slime in their moto tires? I mean these tires aren't cheap and when a hole happens when they still got alot of miles left, well I guess you hear what the expert say then make up your own mind.
I have jumped it up to 140 on a short straight away and still have the shiny side shiny. It's about the only way to stay cool while wearing all the gear in this 97+ degree weather!
I agree with Robert4 about not patching the front.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Sixty-9er

Ended up with Pilot Road 2s mounted and balanced for 372. Made moving a lot easier. Too bad I only have 15 miles on them. I'll give them a good scrub in next week.

"Grip it and Rip it!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode