alternator cover - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

alternator cover

I really need an alternator cover. My bike tipped over while on the side stand and mine got all scratched up. If any one has one i would be happy to purchase plus shipping. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert260 View Post
I really need an alternator cover. My bike tipped over while on the side stand and mine got all scratched up. If any one has one i would be happy to purchase plus shipping. Thanks.
I'm assuming you have a 919?

I've had the same thing happen. I've purchased one from Ridenow.com. They had the lowest price that I found for OEM Honda parts when I looked. Make sure to get a new gasket too. For whatever reason, they don't have the '06 919 as an option...just select 2005 CB900F, it's the exact same cover and gasket. $57 for cover, $8 for gasket.

Let me know if you need torque values.

Word of caution, make sure you have the right size torque wrench when tightening the smaller bolts. You want the desired torque value to be in the middle of your torque range for your wrench. There's a small bolt that holds a clip which holds the alternator wires in place, which was at the bottom end of my torque wrench. Unfortunately, top and bottom of torque wrenches are not accurate, and I overtightened the bold, and snapped it off...

Here's the direct link for '05 919.

Heh, or I have one that may be less scratched than yours for sale

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #3 of 14 Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase

oh yeah it is a 919

Yeah it is a 2002 919. Would the 05 part fit. Also would you mind posting or sending me a picture of yours to check it out. Mine looks like a dog with steel teeth chewed on it. Thanks for the reply by the way. I just recently joined and this was only my second post. That reply was lightning fast.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase

Also,

Also, when I do get a new one should I go ahead and buy the rest of the parts in that assembly, or should my originals work out fine.

post #5 of 14 Old 07-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Yeah it is a 2002 919. Would the 05 part fit. Also would you mind posting or sending me a picture of yours to check it out. Mine looks like a dog with steel teeth chewed on it. Thanks for the reply by the way. I just recently joined and this was only my second post. That reply was lightning fast.
Here's the direct link for the '02. Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I believe that the '02 is the same as the '06. Same part # as the '05. I can't get you a pic tonight, but I'll try to remember to tomorrow. If you think it's useable, you can have it, just cover shipping. You'll still need a new gasket though.

No prob about the response...I've been helped out enough on this site to try to help others when I can...hang around...you'll love it here...

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #6 of 14 Old 07-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Also, when I do get a new one should I go ahead and buy the rest of the parts in that assembly, or should my originals work out fine.
All you other original parts should work fine, just normal bolts, not "stretch" bolts. Just the cover and gasket should do.

- Stephen Hawking
post #7 of 14 Old 07-17-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase

Thanks

Thanks a lot. It feels good to get in the flow. I've just been reading and soaking up all the info until know. I had a bunch of questions that got answered by simply searching the threads. This site rocks. https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/i...on.gif:rockon:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/i...lies/honda.gif

post #8 of 14 Old 07-18-2007, 04:18 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Here's the pic. Click on it for a jumbo version...

- Stephen Hawking
post #9 of 14 Old 07-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

'02 - '04 would be the pewter color and '05 and up would be black. That's only difference.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #10 of 14 Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Tesserarius

I did the same thing, I think in this coming winter I'll vacuum a carbon skin down onto the cover and see if that works!

post #11 of 14 Old 07-18-2007, 11:45 AM
it's a honda, not a bmw

Sort of related. . .

Is that pewter color used on the engine available as a touch-up paint or spray can? I've searched around some but never came across anything.

I had a parking lot incident about a month ago (one of those bad days that get worse and worse) and picked up a scratch that doesn't justify the cost of the entire cover, but could be cleaned up easy.

post #12 of 14 Old 07-18-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase

Waiting til Winter

I think I'm going to say f-it and wait until winter. Even though it bugs the hell out of me it's only cosmetic. I may try to buff or grind. Probably only make it worse but it's messed up already. Maybe i'll just throw a sticker on their and watch it melt over the summer.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I think I'm going to say f-it and wait until winter. Even though it bugs the hell out of me it's only cosmetic. I may try to buff or grind. Probably only make it worse but it's messed up already. Maybe i'll just throw a sticker on their and watch it melt over the summer.
Don't even worry about it man, I have been riding with an alt. cover that looks like this: (much worse than your cover with 2 scratches)

post #14 of 14 Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 PM

Battle scars are good to keep... adds character... display them proudly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode