All I want for Christmas is a rear rack for my 919...need more info, please - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 12-11-2006, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

All I want for Christmas is a rear rack for my 919...need more info, please

OK, if any of you read my introduction post, you know that I have had a 919 for over 2 months now as a dealer loaner while my POS Suzuki is being lemoned out. Looks like the paperwork has finally gone through and I should have the switch made from dead zuk to live Honda next week.
For Christmas I asked my husband to get me a rear rack for the 919 so I can carry my library books and my groceries around town. From previous posts, I have gathered that SW-Motech and Ventura are the preferred racks. Can anyone add to that? Where did you get these brands from? I looked on the Twisted Throttle website for Motech and CycleVenture was the only place I found the Ventura. Any other suggestions?

Last year I got jewelry, this year I'm going for hardware...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
So...you asked your hubby for a new rack?[/derail]

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #3 of 23 Old 12-11-2006, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase

Yeah,I knew that I would get some great "rack" responses.
Now, help out here!

post #4 of 23 Old 12-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Get a motech rack and monokey givi box with brake light! (search). Then you can carry 46L without worries of stuff falling off and it's moderately rain proof.

post #5 of 23 Old 12-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
For Christmas I asked my husband to get me a rear rack for the 919 so I can carry my library books and my groceries around town.

Last year I got jewelry, this year I'm going for hardware...
I'm still blown away that you asked for a gift for the bike.... wow... I've gotta get my wife addicted to riding her own bike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
Get a motech rack and monokey givi box with brake light! (search). Then you can carry 46L without worries of stuff falling off and it's moderately rain proof.
only moderately rain proof... I'd question that...

I have nothing to add and I know some one here will have some info...

post #6 of 23 Old 12-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Centurion

Get a Krauser then tell me how you like it so I know whether to get one

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/510/197/

post #7 of 23 Old 12-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

If you want the Ventua stuff call Rob at 7704793340. He runs a Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki dealer in Canton, Georgia. He can ship the stuff to you. Nice guy and great pricing.

Tell him Jim from Kentucky sent you and he'll add about 39% to your price.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 04:00 AM

I've got a E460 monokey top case. And it IS rainproof.
The only think I do not like about the monokey cases, they cannot be closed without locking them. Which is kinda stupid IMO. So when you get to your destination and drop the cases off in your room , the cases have to be left open or closed and locked.

post #9 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 04:03 AM

Oh and another thing. If you get the SW-Motech rack, you can use any brand of hard bags. You just purchase the proper baseplate for whatever brand of case you are carrying.
I love my SW-Motech rack. It will not, however, work with a Corbin seat.

post #10 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

I cut the Givi OEM bottom hole for its brake light, thus why it could leak during a flood. I will silicon seal it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
I love my SW-Motech rack. It will not, however, work with a Corbin seat.
My monolock accomodates the plush bill mayers saddle. I jigsawed ~1/4" off the bracket that was cutting into the seat. Too bad you cannot make the same mod for the wider/longer motech monokey bracket.

post #11 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I cut the Givi OEM bottom hole for its brake light, thus why it could leak during a flood. I will silicon seal it.

My monolock accomodates the plush bill mayers saddle. I jigsawed ~1/4" off the bracket that was cutting into the seat. Too bad you cannot make the same mod for the wider/longer motech monokey bracket.
It's not the monokey bracket thats the problem. Its the SW-Motech main bracket sides that are not wide enough to accomodate the width of the Corbin seat. The monokey bracket is a basplate that sits far enough back that it wouldn't hit the seat.

post #12 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
It's not the monokey bracket thats the problem. Its the SW-Motech main bracket sides that are not wide enough to accomodate the width of the Corbin seat. The monokey bracket is a basplate that sits far enough back that it wouldn't hit the seat.
Thank you mudarra for the explanation. You could then bolt the wider monokey base to the REAR hand rail mount motech bracket to fit your plush seat.

post #13 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

eBay auction link for a luggage rack.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #14 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Thank you mudarra for the explanation. You could then bolt the wider monokey base to the REAR hand rail mount motech bracket to fit your plush seat.
Nope, I'm still not being clear enough.
Here is a pic of the SW-Motech Top rack.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/158/197/

Notice how the brace goes up and then curves back away from where the mount bolts to the bike.

Where the bracket curves actually extends slightly over the edges of the seat. Not a problem for the stocker cause its thin, and can slide in easily. The Corbin seat is wider and thicker in the rear, so it will not tuck between the edges of the bracket.

For the luggage. A flat mounting adapter mounts to the flat part of the SW-Motech rack. This adapter is configured for whatever type of luggage you are carrying. Givi, Kruaser, etc.
It sits far enough back so the luggage doesn't interfere with the seat. But thats not where the problem is anyway.

A refigured seat like a Sargent or Mayer that is built up from the stock pan will work fine as long as the profile and thickness of the rear of the seat is the same as the stocker.

post #15 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Nope, I'm still not being clear enough.
Here is a pic of the SW-Motech Top rack.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/158/197/

Notice how the brace goes up and then curves back away from where the mount bolts to the bike.

Where the bracket curves actually extends slightly over the edges of the seat. Not a problem for the stocker cause its thin, and can slide in easily. The Corbin seat is wider and thicker in the rear, so it will not tuck between the edges of the bracket.

For the luggage. A flat mounting adapter mounts to the flat part of the SW-Motech rack. This adapter is configured for whatever type of luggage you are carrying. Givi, Kruaser, etc.
It sits far enough back so the luggage doesn't interfere with the seat. But thats not where the problem is anyway.

A refigured seat like a Sargent or Mayer that is built up from the stock pan will work fine as long as the profile and thickness of the rear of the seat is the same as the stocker.

That is the same motech rack I notched its front to fit the wider BMS seat. Otherwise the rack was cutting into the seat. You could do that too. Plus if the seat is still under their fit warranty I heard Corbin will modify their pan to fit the rack gratis. You need both the rack and your comfy seat for trips. Good luck with it!

post #16 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
That is the same motech rack I notched its front to fit the wider BMS seat. Otherwise the rack was cutting into the seat. You could do that too. Plus if the seat is still under their fit warranty I heard Corbin will modify their pan to fit the rack gratis. You need both the rack and your comfy seat for trips. Good luck with it!
Corbin WILL NOT refit the seat free. Trust me, I know. They charge about $200 to recover the seat, plus they make you pay the shipping again.

I thought about modifying the rack, but decided I would have to take too much material off for the corbin. So I sold the corbin and plan on having the stock pan recovered by Mayer when funds are available.

post #17 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase

I like that one being offered on ebay. Does anyone recognize it? Shipping from Germany is $45.

post #18 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Corbin WILL NOT refit the seat free. Trust me, I know. They charge about $200 to recover the seat, plus they make you pay the shipping again.

I thought about modifying the rack, but decided I would have to take too much material off for the corbin. So I sold the corbin and plan on having the stock pan recovered by Mayer when funds are available.
Ouch! Corbin needs to improve their customer service. Now I further appreciate choosing BMS!

post #19 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Ouch! Corbin needs to improve their customer service. Now I further appreciate choosing BMS!
Yep, I've heard from others since that have also had bad experiences with Corbin CS.

post #20 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
I like that one being offered on ebay. Does anyone recognize it? Shipping from Germany is $45.
Looks like the cordura one (search). Too small to support a large travel Tbag, isn't water proof and no extra brake light. But it looks cool.

post #21 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

That Euro rack store has some nice turn signal mirrors. Should be able to find all this stuff stateside. $45 for shipping is too high!

post #22 of 23 Old 12-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

This one looked interesting because you can keep your handle as well.
Rev's performance

post #23 of 23 Old 12-21-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase

How come nobody told me about the cute little tie down brackets that fold out from under the seat?
Just kidding, I'm still finding out alot about this bike...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode