aftermarket 919 rearsets? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

aftermarket 919 rearsets?

After a few track days I've started dragging the stock pegs. If I had the cash, I'd go for the sato's...cant afford 'em though

Any other more affordable rear sets recommended on the 919 that can give me a bit more clearance? catching the pegs freaks me out and anticipating the pegs dragging seems to be hindering riding progress.

Pics and links would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 03-21-2010, 02:31 AM
Pilus Posterior

Probably won't help on the price but Rizoma do a set so spunky you'd just sit at home and admire them.

Honda Rizoma CB900 Hornet 919 All Years/599 Hornet - 06 Rearsets

post #3 of 44 Old 03-21-2010, 03:47 AM
Imaginifer

Have you taken your hero blobs off?

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
post #4 of 44 Old 03-21-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Probably won't help on the price but Rizoma do a set so spunky you'd just sit at home and admire them.

Honda Rizoma CB900 Hornet 919 All Years/599 Hornet - 06 Rearsets
Yep, just as lust worthy. Outta reach though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyeee View Post
Have you taken your hero blobs off?
Not yet, will do the next time we do a track day. Another half inch, will help I guess.

Question: Why dont track pegs fold like road/street pegs?

post #5 of 44 Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post
After a few track days I've started dragging the stock pegs. If I had the cash, I'd go for the sato's...cant afford 'em though

Any other more affordable rear sets recommended on the 919 that can give me a bit more clearance? catching the pegs freaks me out and anticipating the pegs dragging seems to be hindering riding progress.

Pics and links would be appreciated. Thanks!
Take off the feeler bolts that are on the lower side. You'll still be folding the pegs though, it's just that you'll need to be over further (= faster ) before it starts . Relax, it's like a depth gauge ! Just a dab ? Folding up half way ? This gives you some measurable feedback so don't be spooked off by it. I have long legs, and am about 6 ft tall on a Corbin seat with the seat surface near 2 inches higher than stock. I'm lightly knee down before the pegs hit, but just by a bit. How about you ? Also. You can grind your boots to trash in a hurry if you folding your pegs. If you have found this happening, reposition your foot. I actually rotate the sole so it is wedged in and almost flat against the footpeg bracket (the big aluminum casting that the footpeg bolts too).

Also, until you do something about your springs, your suspension is going to be using up too much travel for the actual corner speed you are at. Springs before rearsets is my suggestion.

I'll bet you are REALLY liking those tires now ! Corsas if I remember correctly ?

You are months ahead of us here re the track, out first Track Night is May 12.

post #6 of 44 Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Take off the feeler bolts that are on the lower side. You'll still be folding the pegs though, it's just that you'll need to be over further (= faster ) before it starts . Relax, it's like a depth gauge ! Just a dab ? Folding up half way ? This gives you some measurable feedback so don't be spooked off by it. I have long legs, and am about 6 ft tall on a Corbin seat with the seat surface near 2 inches higher than stock. I'm lightly knee down before the pegs hit, but just by a bit. How about you ? Also. You can grind your boots to trash in a hurry if you folding your pegs. If you have found this happening, reposition your foot. I actually rotate the sole so it is wedged in and almost flat against the footpeg bracket (the big aluminum casting that the footpeg bolts too).

Also, until you do something about your springs, your suspension is going to be using up too much travel for the actual corner speed you are at. Springs before rearsets is my suggestion.

I'll bet you are REALLY liking those tires now ! Corsas if I remember correctly ?

You are months ahead of us here re the track, out first Track Night is May 12.
We've been riding a fairly tight track better suited to the 400's that are the more common track machines here so you have to crank a big big like a 900 over a bit to get through the corners at speed. I'm 5'10 but I have yet to get my knee-down even when the pegs scrape The pegs scrape lightly when I'm trying to push hard, but they're not digging in on every corner.

A buddy went down last week cause he caught his non-folding peg on a tight corner (bad set-up, he was on a standard with low pegs that dont fold), since then I guess I get spooked everytime I scrape the hero blobs, waiting for a fall.

The Corsa 3's are the best money I've spent on the bike. We have to make the most out of the summer before the monsoon comes in a couple of months.

just to add. It's only on the left side that I scrape. The right feeler is still clean. I guess we favor a side.

post #7 of 44 Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 AM
McTavish

Quote:
We've been riding a fairly tight track better suited to the 400's that are the more common track machines here so you have to crank a big big like a 900 over a bit to get through the corners at speed. I'm 5'10 but I have yet to get my knee-down even when the pegs scrape The pegs scrape lightly when I'm trying to push hard, but they're not digging in on every corner.

A buddy went down last week cause he caught his non-folding peg on a tight corner (bad set-up, he was on a standard with low pegs that dont fold), since then I guess I get spooked everytime I scrape the hero blobs, waiting for a fall.

The Corsa 3's are the best money I've spent on the bike. We have to make the most out of the summer before the monsoon comes in a couple of months.

just to add. It's only on the left side that I scrape. The right feeler is still clean. I guess we favor a side.
Our track is left hand, i.e. counterclockwise riding. So far I have only touched on the left re knee and peg. There is one right hand turn seems to be one where I should be touching down, but I'm not fast enough through there to do so. I hit my knee before the peg, not after. I have really long legs and really get off on the inside. You should not be blushing !

post #8 of 44 Old 03-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Tirone

Quote:

That means you need to scoot your bum further over on the seat, your knee should be down before you scrape your pegs. Right cheek on the inside of the seat for left turns and vise versa. Remember to also use your legs and hips to control the bike, not your arms.

post #9 of 44 Old 03-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberjoe87 View Post
That means you need to scoot your bum further over on the seat, your knee should be down before you scrape your pegs.....
That's what I was thinking. There is a reason why they make knee-sliders.

Touching & dragging hard parts is a bad idea that will get you in trouble FAST.

post #10 of 44 Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I was on this big quest to get my knee down a couple of years ago. It feels really weird at first. Feels like you're hanging down from the bike, like a kid on a monkey bar. But if you can get a friend to take a pic of you, you'll realize that you're really not off the bike much. You soon get used to it.

You have knee sliders, right? Cut that "hero bolt" to where it has a 1/4" of thread. That helps some. When I had my knee, toe, and peg down all down at once, that was fast enough for me anyway. I never graduated beyond the "slow" group", some of whom aren't all that slow by my standards. I never thought my 919 was holding me back, the other way around.

post #11 of 44 Old 03-23-2010, 03:42 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Truthfully, it doesn't take much to touch down the stockers...

post #12 of 44 Old 03-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
Truthfully, it doesn't take much to touch down the stockers...
Takes even less to rip your foot right off the peg if you're not paying attention

Dan
post #13 of 44 Old 03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Takes even less to rip your foot right off the peg if you're not paying attention

Yup, I'm a relatively seasoned rider & I still flinch every time I touch a peg down... That's pretty much why I install rear sets on every bike I can plus when the pegs don't fold up they also work like frame sliders to help keep other hard parts of the bike from getting scuffed up in a crash scenario.

post #14 of 44 Old 03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
And, it's been mentioned, hang off the bike more.

Setting your sag and hanging off the bike more will likely net you as much ground clearance as you need.

post #15 of 44 Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Had someone taking some video on our first track day. What felt to me like GP-esque speeds and lean angles did look comically slow and upright on video.

Just got the sliders, will try to put them to better use. Thanks for the tips. Adjusting position sounds like the cheapest solution yet.

post #16 of 44 Old 03-31-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Popped my cherry, Today I got my knee down for the first time!

4th track day, tried to keep pace with some more experienced riders and it finally happened. Plus later in the open session I passed someone on an R6 on the outside! (ok he's been riding 3 months, but it was still an ego booster) Im feeling pretty darned pleased with myself and have had the same silly grin all morning.

Great advice on hanging off more, less parts scraping, and learning to get faster in the corners. I can see why this becomes addictive...

post #17 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 12:37 PM
This town needs an enema!

You know what's scarier than scraping stock folding pegs? Scraping your fixed rearsets. I've got the Sato's on my bike and scraped the peg and brake pedal in a corner once (and they were in the middle height position). I've also scraped the kickstand mount a few times. Not a very good feeling to scrape hard parts that don't fold up.

i know what you guys are thinking, i need to hang off the bike more... but I DO!

i think it's the suspension setup (or lack thereof) that is causing me to have ground clearance issues. but i have an '02, which means i have no adjustability, save for rear preload. I usually have my rear preload at 3 or 4, but even at 4, the ride just gets too choppy.

| '02 919 - Batcycle | '00 Suzuki SV650 |

Barbarians at the Gate
facebook.com/batgband
post #18 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

You're not even remotely close to hanging off enough...

Trust me it is the most unnatural feeling ever tyring to hang off a naked properly, but you have a long way to go and it will greatly increase your ground clearance

post #19 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Trust me it is the most unnatural feeling ever tyring to hang off a naked properly...
Is it really that different than hanging off a fully-faired sport bike?

post #20 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post
Is it really that different than hanging off a fully-faired sport bike?
Yes it is extremely awkward because of the wide stance & reach to the bars

post #21 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Yes it is extremely awkward because of the wide stance & reach to the bars
Huh... Having never hung off anything else I wouldn't know the difference. My previous sport bike was back in '84 and I didn't know much about sport riding back then. I'm absolutely amazed at the difference in tires between then and now, not to mention the difference in bike tech.

My biggest b!tch about hanging off is the near hand is up high and the wrist gets bound up. I am seriously considering buying a set of TharBars.

post #22 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
ok, i realize that i'm not hanging off as far as humanly possible, but i think you're being a bit over-dramatic.

i do think if my helmet were one size smaller tho, i could get my head/upper body inside a bit more, because right now, when i put my head out, my helmet tends to roll downwards and obstructs my view. the top part of the opening ends up coming down over my browline. but also, when you have short arms and legs, you can only extend your body out so far off the bike

Barbarians at the Gate
facebook.com/batgband
post #23 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Over-dramatic or not I've turned some pretty quick lap times on my 919 while I weighed in around 200lbs (without gear) and I have never scraped a peg or any other hard parts since installing the Sato Rear Sets so I must be doing something right...

post #24 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Tirone

So what IS the goin rate for sato rear sets anyway?

post #25 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegroo919 View Post
So what IS the goin rate for sato rear sets anyway?
more or less $500 US for satos

post #26 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherWings View Post
ok, i realize that i'm not hanging off as far as humanly possible, but i think you're being a bit over-dramatic.

i do think if my helmet were one size smaller tho, i could get my head/upper body inside a bit more, because right now, when i put my head out, my helmet tends to roll downwards and obstructs my view. the top part of the opening ends up coming down over my browline. but also, when you have short arms and legs, you can only extend your body out so far off the bike
If you can afford the Satos, you can afford a better fitting helmet

Seriously though, a helmet that rolls on your head isn't gonna do it's job if you go down.

I thought I was hanging off enough till I tried harder.

post #27 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
more or less $500 US for satos

I can do much better than that...

post #28 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
How much better? Or should I PM you?

Then again, I'd still not be able to get them because I want the passenger pegs... and I'm sure that would put them out of my unemployed selfs budget... and I'll need tires in about 3,000 miles too... Oh well.

post #29 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
If you can afford the Satos, you can afford a better fitting helmet

Seriously though, a helmet that rolls on your head isn't gonna do it's job if you go down.
well it used to fit alot tighter, but after several years of heavy daily use, the helmet doesn't fit quite as snug as it used to. but i mean, it's not like it rolls freely around, it's just that it's not super snug.

Barbarians at the Gate
facebook.com/batgband
post #30 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherWings View Post
well it used to fit alot tighter, but after several years of heavy daily use, the helmet doesn't fit quite as snug as it used to. but i mean, it's not like it rolls freely around, it's just that it's not super snug.
Time for a new one then...Or maybe a different brand :001_smile:

I have a suomy and an AGV that I alternate. I find the AGV more comfortable but it cut my vision like you describe when I tried a friends R6. The suomy feels more snug on the head but either shape of the helmet or the way it sits on my head makes it catch more wind blast and feel like it wants to fly off at freeway speeds.

post #31 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Quote:
Aaw, maan. now you've done it. You know we're gonna ask don't you? Cause it's always the bike holding us back, not our riding.

Eyeing a used set of coerce rear sets but if the price is right on the satos...

PM sent

post #32 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Time for a new one then...Or maybe a different brand :001_smile:
i realize they're considered to be lower-end helmets, but HJC's tend to fit my head pretty well. however, i might try a higher-end HJC in the future.

Quote:
I thought I was hanging off enough till I tried harder.
obviously being able to ride as fast as someone like Dani Pedrosa is a whole 'nother story, but i really don't think my body positioning is that far off from where it should be:

BUT OF COURSE that's not all there is to riding fast, and i'm not trying to say it is. i'm just sayin that i think i'm hanging off as far as i reasonably can while still maintaining control of the bike.

but if anyone has any constructive criticism, rather than just statements of self-superiority, i'd be perfectly happy to consider them.

Barbarians at the Gate
facebook.com/batgband
post #33 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Are you riding with knee pucks? First couple of track days I didn't have 'em, but once I got 'em and was trying to drag knee on purpose, my form changed. Feels faster and less peg dragging, for me at least.

post #34 of 44 Old 04-06-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Are you riding with knee pucks? First couple of track days I didn't have 'em, but once I got 'em and was trying to drag knee on purpose, my form changed. Feels faster and less peg dragging, for me at least.
yeah, usually when i do canyon rides i wear a 2-piece suit with knee pucks and all, but i think that pic was taken when i went riding directly after work this one time and i was wearing 'urban' gear. which is why i'm not sticking me left knee out all the way, as you can see...

Barbarians at the Gate
facebook.com/batgband
post #35 of 44 Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 PM
CB900 Hornet

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

There are 3 rearsets you can get at maxmcdirect.com

Coerce
Moriwaki
WR's

post #36 of 44 Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 PM
McTavish

As usual, LDH is very correct. Your throttle arm is the dead giveaway, your elbow is bent and there is many inches from your arm to the top of the tank.
I started out just like you thinking I was well off on the inside, but got nicely shredded by the instructors. It took time, but now I'm to the point that the right arm is pretty straight, with hand opened up and sort of kitty corners on the twist grip, arm close to brushing the top of the tank. And I have long arms. My knees hit before the stock pegs begin to fold. Our track is run left hand. Watch out for that side stand lug, if that digs in it will put you on your head in a hurry. I cut part of mine back with a hacksaw.

Quote:

Trust me it is the most unnatural feeling ever tyring to hang off a naked properly, but you have a long way to go and it will greatly increase your ground clearance

post #37 of 44 Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Aquilifer

Can anyone provide an example photo of what they think is the correct posture for hanging off a naked?

post #38 of 44 Old 05-10-2010, 11:03 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
Can anyone provide an example photo of what they think is the correct posture for hanging off a naked?
it is G rated forum, right?

post #39 of 44 Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Ballaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
kiss your mirrors and shift a cheek of the seat

post #40 of 44 Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode