advice on diy brake pad change on 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 11-17-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

advice on diy brake pad change on 919

i'm getting ready to change the front and rear brake pads on my 919 at about 21k. i've got the oem honda pads ready to go; i checked out the section on pad replacement in the honda manual - straightforward and no problem for me. but it just covers the disassembly and reassembly - no best practices.

i've done brakes on my cars, but never on a bike. a tech at the bike shop told me that i need to make sure to clean the pistons properly before retracting them; i'd guess i'll want some grease somewhere...

would someone please cover the steps of the job done right? (or point me to a good right up - i have searched.) i'd also appreciate tips on how to clean the pistons properly without damaging anything... i haven't made any effort in the past to clean my calipers besides just spraying them down with a hose along with the rest of the bike, so i'd guess they're pretty gummed up with brake dust and road grime.

thank you...
...j

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Tirone

2nd that request. Curious if there was any good tips to do a better job then just reading the service manual.

I am not the most wrench savvy person but I did replace my rotors,pads and brake lines and just spending a little time making sure I was doing it right was all it took for this newb.

I used zip ties to hold the brakes in place instead of letting them hang from the brake lines. I used a good ammount of brake cleaner. Really it was rather straight forward and sounds like your experience level could do it no problem.

Sorry I know this wasn't what you were looking for but thought I would mention my opinion.

post #3 of 10 Old 11-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

no grease allowed in that area my friend unless you want a slippery stop. brake cleaner on the dusty places.

Here's a tip: put a folded hand towel on the front fender and just lay the calipers on that while you work with the wheel.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Milites Gregarius

Instead of brake cleaner on the pistons, I'd use some type of cleaner like Simple Green. Stick a small piece of wood or something similar in the calipers to keep the pistons from popping out while you gently squeeze the brake lever. Don't go crazy, just enough to expose the ring of crud on the pistons. Simple Green and either a tooth brush or one of those small wire brushes with the brass bristles works well for me.

post #5 of 10 Old 11-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'm not sure what else you use BRAKE cleaner for... but I use it on my brakes.

I've changed a few brake pads in my days and just clean them off with some Honda brake cleaner and change them and go thousands of miles without my bike exploding. You're fine

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #6 of 10 Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Instead of brake cleaner on the pistons, I'd use some type of cleaner like Simple Green. Stick a small piece of wood or something similar in the calipers to keep the pistons from popping out while you gently squeeze the brake lever. Don't go crazy, just enough to expose the ring of crud on the pistons. Simple Green and either a tooth brush or one of those small wire brushes with the brass bristles works well for me.
you've read the warning on the brake cleaner cans too... I've always stayed away from spaying the rubber parts as well, never thought about cleaning them with somthing else though I like this advise!

post #7 of 10 Old 11-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
I'm not sure what else you use BRAKE cleaner for... but I use it on my brakes.

I've changed a few brake pads in my days and just clean them off with some Honda brake cleaner and change them and go thousands of miles without my bike exploding. You're fine
I use if for everything including the brakes just careful around the rubber stuff. I've spayed all kinds of things including rubber and never noticed anything odd. It drys so quick that i can't see it having any affect on it, but if it were anything other than my brakes that would fail i might try it on them.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Milites Gregarius

I use brake cleaner for every part of the brakes expect cleaning the crud off the pistons. Not that it is going to cause catastrophic failure. It's just my opinion that Simple Green is a little easier on the rubber seals. But I've used brake cleaner as well and nothing bad happened.

post #9 of 10 Old 11-20-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

thanks for all of the replies - did the change over the weekend. i didn't have any problems with the installation at all; the brakes now feel and stop as they did when new.

but they are squealing. i didn't do any specific bedding in procedure - i just made sure everything was clean, and then rode to work (20 miles). i started off taking it easy on the brakes, and didn't hear any squealing until i had been riding for about 5 minutes. i think the noise is only coming from the front right caliper. the back is silent.

can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of the squeal (or what i should have done in the first place to prevent it)?

thanks...
...j919

post #10 of 10 Old 11-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

A VERY LITTLE wd40 from a rag on the disk stops the squeak and the brakes still work fine, granted too much wd and the brakes won't work right again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode