Advice for a Big Ride? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Advice for a Big Ride?

Posted here since the touring sections don't get much traffic.

I want to take 6 weeks off in May and the first part of June and do a big ride on my 919 around the U.S. It's the kind of thing I've always dreamed about--just me and my bike, wandering the earth, man.

I've done lots of short bike camping trips and a couple of 2-week rides out to places like Colorado and Montana, and loved it though it was rough on my body. Nothing like waking up at dawn in the desert and seeing the sun glint off your bike, or crouching close to the tank and wringing the throttle to try and outrun a mountain thunderstorm as the first lightning bolts dance on the horizon.

So this time, I have friends and relatives sprinkled along the way; a buddy in Portland, a couple of friends in Missoula, relatives in Gunnison, CO, friends in Iowa City, a special friend in Asheville, NC, and a couple of friends in NYC.

So, wristtwisters, tell me your favorite roads, your travel tips, etc.

I'm pretty familiar with the West; I love the Eastern Sierra, Death Valley in CA; Lolo Pass in Idaho, want to try Beartooth Pass in WY, love Hwy 12 through Torrey, Utah; want to see the north rim of the Grand Canyon if I can. I'm willing to ride short stretches on good gravel or dirt roads if the weather allows, and I just took some dirtbike schooling to prepare; but the 919 doesn't have much suspension clearance, so paved roads will be the focus.

Further east, I'm not so sure. I'd like to ride the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway in NC, and probably do the Blue Ridge Parkway from there up to NYC. The Smoky Mountains in TN sound great.

What's the best way across the Dakotas? Are there any interesting roads in Nebraska? Know of a great campground in Texas, a cool museum in Missouri, a nifty abandoned missile silo in Kansas, a hidden canyon in New Mexico? I want to know, and I want to ride there, and yes, I will take pictures.

Time: May-early June 2009
Place: From Oakland to NYC and back
Bike: 2004 Honda 919
Gear: Givi hard luggage, A755 windscreen, and a centerstand on the bike. Sargent saddle on the way.
Already got good camping equipment, a mesh jacket and pants (with good waterproof liners, heated vest as backup), Aerostich boots, and dish gloves to cover my gloves during storms.

I'll be camping primarily, relieved by occasional motels in bad weather and friends' places. Let me know if you've got recommendations for places to stay or places to eat, too. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Imaginifer

Nemo,that sounds like a great trip !!
The north rim is awesome and if you haven't been ,check out Bryce Canyon also.

When you hit the east coast I can show you some great roads and give you a place to stay.
pm me and I will give you my number..John

PS as long as you have never had a dwi then I can also show you Montreal.CA
the Canadians frown on two things 1 guns 2 dwi Go figure

post #3 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sounds like it will be a great trip, Since you will be in CO if you need anything let me know!

Since you said you were going to Missoula, say hi to my relatives there, and then as far as crossing the dakotas, From MT I would hit the SW corner of ND by Medora and see the badlands, they run in a narrow band through the SW corner of the state, and you can stop there in Medora and see the historical sights. Teddy Roosevelt lived there and its just a little old west style tourist stop with one of the coolest outdoor ampitheaters you'll ever see where they have a musical every summer night. If you need any assistance when your out this way, my Parents and Brother live just a few miles away and I could give you emergency contact info if you need it.

From there I would head west till Belfield then head, south on highway 85, it will take you straight to Spearfish SD where you can head up into the Black hills, check out Mt Rushmore, Crazyhorse and all the rest of the sights. After that, Point your bike whichever direction you need to and haul azz, not much else to see.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #4 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I agree on Justin' recommendation for the Dakotas. The Badlands are a must see, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Black Hills. All really great stuff.

I've never found much in Nebraska. Pretty much the same mile after mile. Stay out of Wyoming on the eastern side, it's worse.

Check out the St. Louis arch if you're close. Highway 22 in Kentucky is cool. Take it to Red River Gorge. Cherohala is real nice. Everyone should run the Gap once, but I wouldn't do more than a pass thru. TWO in Georgia is a major stopping/camping/eating motorcycle spot. Wheels through Time Museum is the southern start of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Run the parkway during the week. Less traffic and guys who write tickets. Speed limit is 45, but you can rail some nice corners during the week. You can take it up north until it ends. Oh, go from Pigeon Forge over the top of the Smokies. It's the eastern Rockies.

West Virginia/Virginia have some great backroads and Interstates. Don't be afraid to slab the interstates through there. Lot's of really nice high speed sweepers through the mountains. I'd stay out of Ohio. Flat, left lane douchebags, and loaded with cops. Virginia, Pennsylvania and Conn. have great roads as well.

If you're around Louisville and need help, parts, place to sleep, beer, food, dog interaction let me know. I'll help/ride with you/ feed you etc. I've also got plenty of room you can camp and stay solo if you like.

Lube the chain on that 9er. Long trips play hell on that bike worse than any other I've owned as far as chain wear. Just spray it down every 500 miles. I don't wear underwear on long hauls. Anything that has seams in the clothing becomes uncomfortable real quick on back to back jaunts. Underarmour type stuff works great. So does lotion (on your butt). Got GPS? If not, get one.

Other than that, the usual travel stuff and you're good to go. Tire plug kit for emergency, cell phone, etc. I've got premade lists that I go down and make sure it's packed before I haul.

And most of all, have fun. Weeks on a bike are the best thing in the world for the soul. That feeling of you and the bike alone against the world is very satisfying. Take a lot of pics, more than you can ever imagine wanting to have, because you'll regret it if you don't. Make sure you've got enough memory cards or ways to download pics. Also make sure all your chargers are with you. Keep a daily log of miles, places seen, notes, etc. They're pretty neat to look back on. Be really flexible with plans because you'll have to delay/deviate because of weather. That's part of the fun in case you didn't know.

Last, you mentioned Asheville. Cool place and lots of good surrounding roads. Spend some time there if you can. The run on highway 421 from Bristol to Asheville is better than the gap IMO.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 06:24 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You already know this but it bears repeating - it takes a lot of clothes to ride naked.

post #6 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Tirone

Though I haven't ridden them yet, Ranch Roads 335, 336 and 337 near Rock Springs, TX are supposed to be the best twisties in the state. I strongly suggest going to see:

Big Bend National Park (The views and history are incredible)
Guadalupe Mountains National Park (both sides, from TX and NM, though the NM side has excellent twisties)
Balmorhea, TX (HUGE spring fed place...)
Fort Davis, TX (National Historic Site)
Sitting Bull Falls, NM (Another HUGE spring fed place in the desert)

I know there are tons more, but I can't think of 'em at the moment.

post #7 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Legalize it please?

Yo! That sounds like an awsome trip! If you make it to NYC and want to see Long Island hit me up! There are a couple of sweet roads here if you know where to look, then you could take a ferry to CONN, or New London

post #8 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91_4x4runner View Post
Though I haven't ridden them yet, Ranch Roads 335, 336 and 337 near Rock Springs, TX are supposed to be the best twisties in the state.
These are awesome roads. This is where we did the Texas ShinDig last year. Hope to do it again soon!

If you come through Central Texas, post up and we could meet somewhere for some food. They have some good TX BBQ places in the area (notice I prefix with TX, not the same as I grew up with in Va/NC area).

Shawn

post #9 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Sounds awesome, Nemo! Great road advice already from HondaJim for my neck of the woods. I'll only add one thing that I think you've probably already planned, based on your great writing skills--keep a journal and take loads of pics! If you need anything while you're in NC, you've got quite a few Wrist Twisters peppered throughout the state ready to lend a hand, so don't hesitate to call on us! Places to stay, local knowledge, mechanical help, etc...

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #10 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 08:27 PM

Nemo,
Nice color for a bike, the canyons here in colorado are great on the 919.
D

post #11 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Wow. West coast to East coast and back. Sounds like it will be epic.

Wasn't there a thread on here somewhere about people offering up their backyards or something to throw a tent up?

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #12 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Milites Gregarius

Well, if you don't come to the Pacific Northwest then you're flat ass missing out on some world class twisties. Just between Hells Canyon and Portland alone there are enough sparsely traveled back roads paved with the most immaculately smooth chipsealed dead dino to make a guy want to sell it all and live out the remainder of his life in a tent eating beans and rice just to get more miles in. Billiard table smooth with monster grip. 25-35 mph corners that go on for miles. Epic.

Heck, you could start in Northern California and ride for a good 3 days alone just between Redding and Yreka and Shasta and parts West (Hwy 3 = heaven) then loop up through the Redwoods and into S. Oregon, hit some more coast roads, mountain roads, back roads .... more roads and get yourself to the middle of the state. Light up some pass roads over the Cascades and out into Central Oregon via the John Day River. See God's Country, stop in Fossil, Spray, Kimberly, Condon, Shaniko. Loop it back over Mt. Hood along the historic Barlow Pass trail and into Portland via the Columbia River Gorge, stop and say hi to the PDX crew. Get the sweet road hookup and head up through the NW corner of the state over Hwy 47, Hwy 53 - Spine of The Dragon. Get to Cannon Beach and stop for a night. Ponder all the good things in life. Call the boss ...... threaten to quit unless you get a big raise. Swim in the Pacific Ocean. Endure the shrinkage.

Ride back into Portland via Hwy 202 from Astoria (paved like a Soviet aircraft runway, but hell ..... its a 919). Have a beer at Kelly's Olympian. Stay over for a night and do a track day at Portland Int'l Raceway.

Head East on Hwy 84 through the Columbia River Gorge to Cascade Locks (stop up at Crown Point) and cross over into Washington. Rip up the Wind River Hwy (30) to Mt. St. Helens and overlook the eruption zone. Ride North to Mt. Rainer via Packwood, loop through the park and up to Paradise Lodge.

After that get hooked up with the Seattle contingent and the North Cascades which will take you all the way into British Columbia for another 3-5 days.

Just don't blame me if you never get back to wherever it was you started from!

post #13 of 57 Old 04-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Imaginifer

Dam roktbox,you should write novels!!
Hell I'm on the other coast and I want to go.

Only thing is I've heard a lot about the cops in your area and would have to hook up with someone in the know as to where they be.

Nemo I'M sure you know about this site but if not check it out,look under ride reports one of the largest sites on the net. http://www.advrider.com/

post #14 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 04:01 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If you're in the area, there's a pretty good chance you could sack out at my place for a couple of days. I work nights, have a couple of extra bedrooms. We'd just have to see when the time comes.

Rode Trip! Good on ya!

post #15 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I suggest you go to walmart and buy a hydration pack if you don't have one. I take long trips and it is nice to be able to drink something once in a while when it's hot. One thing you should never leave home without.... duct tape. I agree on the stuff to see in South Dakota. Wyoming has Yellowstone, also a must see. If you are in Arizona at all...the petrified forest. New Mexico, ice cave. New York, Orange County Choppers, the shop that is not the retail store. There is something in everystate. Except throught Iowa, Nebraska area. Stay out of there. Just corn and tordados.

Spoiler:

post #16 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

Let me know if you're heading though Columbus, OH. Tons of great riding in Southern Ohio and I can give you a place to stay, and garage for tune up.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #17 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

That trip sounds awesome Nemo!!! PM me if you want my cell since I'm only a little ways away from NYC, I'm sure the missus and I have a spare room if you need a place to rest as well. Gotta take care of our members ya know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post

I've never found much in Nebraska. Pretty much the same mile after mile. Stay out of Wyoming on the eastern side, it's worse.

Thanks for the encouraging words for my trip in July.........

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #18 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
That trip sounds awesome Nemo!!! PM me if you want my cell since I'm only a little ways away from NYC, I'm sure the missus and I have a spare room if you need a place to rest as well. Gotta take care of our members ya know!

Thanks for the encouraging words for my trip in July.........
Two things:
Mark and his family are great people. Ask to sleep with BJ the bird. He's a trip.

Sorry about Nebraska, but facts are facts. I'm sure if you spend more time there than I have you can find some interesting places to ride. They just hide them very well.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #19 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 AM
rider

Best part of the Blue Ridge Pkwy is from Cherokee to Asheville. Going north from Asheville is okay but no great shakes. If you can do it in the middle of the week you're better off.

post #20 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post

Sorry about Nebraska, but facts are facts. I'm sure if you spend more time there than I have you can find some interesting places to ride. They just hide them very well.

Just busted your chops my friend, I know NE is pretty boring...my trip from East to West will look like this ------------------------- hopefully on the way back it will be a little more exciting.

Nemo's trip is one of my dreams though. I can't wait to live vicariously through her pics and words until someday possibly embarking on my own.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #21 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Guys, this is awesome. I've been adding this advice to my state-by-state trip list and should be able to get to a great deal of it. I appreciate the tips and the offers of possible places to stay, and I'm be PMing the folks that offered.

I definitely have and use a Camelback--I've had a couple of mind-bending 110-degree rides through NV and UT that forced me to recognize their usefulness. So hot and dry that I've stopped at many a gas station, sprayed myself down to soaking with the water hose, filled up my helmet and smooshed it down dripping on my head, and set off--and got about 15 minutes of comfort before I was dried off and suffering again. Amazing!

Tire plug kit and cell, check. For email I'll have to rely on public libraries. And HondaJim, thanks for the chain tip--I have a friend who had the chain on his 919 completely disintegrate out on Hwy 3 up in NorCal. My chain currently has ~8000 miles on it, and I'm considering installing my new chain and sprockets before I leave. Lubing will happen, for sure.

I will be in Asheville for several days (shipping an oil filter and a couple of tools there so I can do an oil change at my buddy's place), and it sounds as if the riding near there will be superlative. I'm glad to know there's SOMETHING in places like Ohio, too.

I don't have the budget for a GPS unit, unfortunately, as I spent that on the Sargent saddle and Givi luggage. But I have map atlases and trip advice and a sense of enjoyment in discovery. Plus, having to stop and ask for directions forces introverted me to interact with folks, which is a good thing.

My worry right now is getting a leave of absence from my job...not the best time to push things, I know. But every wacky boundary-pushing thing I've done in life has been worthwhile, and the road is good for the soul.

post #22 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 02:38 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Heidi-
What a fantastic opportunity!

Here is my take on several of the places you have listed.

Beartooth Pass is a must see. It is one of the most spectacular roads that I have ever been on, you'll have plenty of 2 wheeled company. Check your weather, though, I was there in early June and there was LOTS of snow on the ground and it was snowing as we were there.

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is, if you can believe it, only half as crowded with tourists than the South Rim. I say that because there are tons of people there. Traffic can be slow and any hikes near the canyon are full of people. Also, there was still snow on the ground there in June. That said, it is a gorgeous area all around there. Plus you get to drive through all those "interesting" polygamist towns nearby.

I loved ALL of South Dakota!
Spearfish and Custer are full of wildlife. Custer is the best State Park that I have ever been to. The Badlands have these really cool old cabins that you can stay in, right in the park. They are tiny, but provide magical views of sunrise/sunset. You kind of feel like you are in an old Western movie, the whole time that you are in that area.

Deals Gap/The Dragon is, to me, a do one time, say you've done it, then get off and watch everyone else....kind of place. There are great twisty roads all through that part of TN/NC.

Asheville is one of my favorite cities in all of the US.
A mix of mountain beauty and urban sophistication, a town that prides itself on supporting local restaurants and businesses, it's a contradiction of traditional and new age.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a nice road, but it can be slow (45 speed limit) and might not always be a very direct route. Traffic can be quite steady and make sure you check for any closures before you get on it.

I live about 2.5 hours from Asheville. If you find that you need to do more maintenance than an oil change, we have everything that you would need to get your bike back in shape. You are more than welcome to use the garage....

Have a wonderful trip! I'm jealous.....
post #23 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I don't know what cell phone you have nemo

But it's not hard to upgrade to something with built in gps. Like blacberry or iPhone

post #24 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

That is such a cool trip your enbarking on Nemo...I'm jealous as well. I'd have to quit my job in order to get that kind of time off. Good luck and we'll be waiting eagerly for reports, pics and such

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #25 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Oh...And to add to Barton...Very easy to upgrade your phone to have navigation access.

Expecially if your with Verizon. I just took advantage of my "New Every Two" phone upgrade and went to a touch screen and with the service I switched to as well, I know have "VZ Navigator" Your phone becomes your GPS.

Then just add a car charger outlet to your bike so you can plug in your phone, throw it in the map holder of your tank bag (if you have one) or hard mount it to your bars (plenty of ways to hold your phone with the mounts that are available) and you'll have a GPS at your finger tips

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #26 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
Oh...And to add to Barton...Very easy to upgrade your phone to have navigation access.
I know you guys are just trying to help, and GPS is a great tool, but how in the world did we ever survive without it??? How many people and wonderful experiences do we miss by not getting 'lost?' Heidi has the right idea. Maps still work just fine.

Not bustin'. Just sayin'...

Spoiler:

post #27 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
I know you guys are just trying to help, and GPS is a great tool, but how in the world did we ever survive without it??? How many people and wonderful experiences do we miss by not getting 'lost?' Heidi has the right idea. Maps still work just fine.

Not bustin'. Just sayin'...
GPS is a nice to have, but you could certainly get by without one. Think of all the folks you could meet asking for directions.

In some ways I think GPS is a safer option than using maps in a car or on a bike. Looking at a map is very distracting, listening to directions lets you focus on the road ahead. I have done a lot more "exploring" on my bike since I got one. Gotta love the "go home" button.

post #28 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

You are correct. Lots of fun and at least one of my kids are a by product of getting lost

post #29 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

If your budget doesn't allow a GPS see if you can borrow one. It's nice when you get toward the end of a day with no plans. Pull into a town, search for camping/motels/food/gas, etc. It can list names and phone numbers so you can call and find out what works best for you. It's something a map can't do. I toured with maps for years. GPS is much, miuch better. Having said that, there's great adventure using a map as your only guide.

post #30 of 57 Old 04-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Discen

a trick from my heavy mountain biking days. take powdered tylenol or break it up your self and put it in the water in the camelbak. Helps greatly after a day of riding, or take some before each day.

A throttle lock might be something to look into, a vista cruise universal is like $30 bucks or so.

I"ll get in touch with some of my other wv riders and see if we can put together a list of roads and attractions for wv.

of course you got tool kit with zip ties, plug kit, etc.

I snagged this from another forum i visit, credit goes to cyberpoet, a member there. has helped a few members in the past:
http://cid-0b3d67771ed39dbf.skydrive...the%20road.pdf

post #31 of 57 Old 04-18-2009, 05:20 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

My advice is to pack half as many clothes as you planned, and twice as much money. And keep a $100 bill and a spare key stashed somewhere safe just in case.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #32 of 57 Old 04-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
My advice is to pack half as many clothes as you planned, and twice as much money. And keep a $100 bill and a spare key stashed somewhere safe just in case.
Great advice...and don't put the spare key under the seat

post #33 of 57 Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase

+2 on Ken's advice. Laundromats are all over the place, and take very little time to utilize.

Spoiler:

post #34 of 57 Old 04-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
+2 on Ken's advice. Laundromats are all over the place, and take very little time to utilize.
If I'm on a real long ride, I'll buy clothes at a Walmart and ship dirty stuff home! By the time I get back, my wife has everything cleaned, I have a new pair of jeans and shirt, and I'm ready to hit the road again!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #35 of 57 Old 04-18-2009, 08:51 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Here's that thread I was talking about.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...highlight=tent

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #36 of 57 Old 04-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Tirone

Should your ride take you from your relatives in Gunnison to Denver, this is the route I would take:

Take 50 East through Salida toward Canyon City. Then take Co 9 north to Guffey. From here you can do one of two things… 9 will take you on to Hartsel and some flat strait roads. Or there are some back roads (whose names and numbers I don’t remember and are not labeled on the maps I have, but they are great roads!) to Cripple Creek. Should you feel adventurous… head on to Cripple Creek, stop at a casino and have a prime rib lunch and loose $50 (this is what I usually do). Then head on Hwy 67 to Divide. If you stayed on 9 to Hartsel, turn East on Hwy 24 on to Divide. Take Hwy 24 to Woodland Park. Now here is where things get really fun! From Woodland Park head North on Hwy 67 toward Deckers. Make sure and enjoy all the decreasing radius turns on almost new asphalt! From Deckers you’ll enjoy a climb out of the canyon on Hwy 126 and some unbelievable views. After enjoying some more great turns and views you’ll end up in Pine Junction, and will turn East on 285 on toward Denver. If you’ve made good time stop in Morrison and ride up to the famous Red Rocks Amphitheater. You can also stop for dinner at a pretty good Mexican restaurant in down town Morrison (I can’t remember it name, any locals know?)

Anyway these are some of my local favorite rides should you end up in this area of Colorado.

2002 Honda 919
post #37 of 57 Old 04-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit1980 View Post
to Cripple Creek, stop at a casino and have a prime rib lunch and loose $50 (this is what I usually do).
I wonder if that's the cripple creek that Neil Young sings about in the song.
It must be.

post #38 of 57 Old 04-18-2009, 11:44 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

If your in VA hit me up and I can show you some beautiful back roads.

post #39 of 57 Old 04-19-2009, 08:55 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Let me know if you plan on coming down to the San Diego are. The wife and I live a block away from the beach, have a yard, and a spare bedroom. Got a safe place to park a bike in the back, and some decent riding roads.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #40 of 57 Old 04-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Tirone

Holler if you come through central or southern Ohio!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode