??? About Broken Handlebar Stop - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 10-07-2006, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

??? About Broken Handlebar Stop

Well, I decided to pass on the 2002 919 with gray color scheme. After a lot of thinking and some great advice from AJ, DJS, and many other members, something just did not add up with the color and those scratches on the rear foot pegs and exhaust on a bike that was supposedly never down. My new question is on an '03 gray 919. Right color, 2800 miles plus honda warranty til jan 08 but the bike has been down. Owner states it was layed down in grass at low speed and damaged equipment( tank, headlight and bracket) were all replaced with oem parts. Only thing still damaged is steering head tab or handle bar stop. Question is, can this be repaired and how much of an impact does it take to break this tab off? Does this sound like damage from a low speed low side "in the grass" or a much harder accident? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Can feel myself getting closer and closer to the naked nation of 919ers!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Was the steering stop tab sheared off or just bent? That will give you some idea of the so called gentle"low side." If that tab was sheared off then I would suspect a 'get off' of a more severe nature. Take a long hard look at the forks, front wheel, even the frame. If you don't know what to look for get someone who does. Better to find out now; not after you buy.

post #3 of 6 Old 10-09-2006, 12:18 AM

dude... those things are pretty hard to break off.

I hit a 220lb deer and jammed the handlebars sideways hard enough to bend the stock handle bars, it hardly did any damage to the steering stop. either a manufacturing defect with the stop or a hardcore wreck.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Tesserarius

Is the locking mechanism still there?

post #5 of 6 Old 10-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

With my lowside accident that did damage to the tank, clutch cover, rear brake peddle, headlight, front fender, bars, and the steering stop tab, i was only going about 35-40 into curve, hit some sand and well the rest is history. did only cosmitic damage other than the steering stop from what the shop told me. I figure i will just epoxy putty another one there eventually. It didn't brake it off either just kinda bent it over. I personally believe that it was the 10 ft of sliding on assfault (man that stuff leaves a mark)that rubbed the handlebars against the stop several times before coming to a stop at the edge of the road and flipping believe this or not gently over on to the other side. No damage on that side. Will take a pic of the damage that i haven't fixed later!

My advise is to take it to a shop that you trust if you don't know what to look for! Other than that look for obvisous like rust on the joints at the welds that may have been stressed, or if recent enough accident it may just be that the paint will be flaked or peeling up with no rust. My bike is and has been fine since the accident have new tires and 4500 miles on it afterwards.

post #6 of 6 Old 10-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Here are the pics to support the little damage at that speed.

This is the good stop.

This is the bent one you can kinda see it has an open angle shape to it and it really seems to have been slid back instead of bent.

handle bars were bent down on the left and up and away on the right. I wished I would have knew these guys mostly (Modding Mike) mostly so i would have replaced with renthal ultra lows. Oh well live, log onto wristtwisters.com, and learn!!

both engine covers...

and brake pedal that has been bent back close to original.. That one piece is 70bucks!! crazy... makes you go hmmm how much is sato racing rear sets??

Anyways not that this really helps you other than the bike servived a pretty easy accident and doesn't seem to have any long term problems, although I do not ride the bike anywhere near as hard as it can be, just to and from work and a couple of twisty's when i can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode