A stupid oil question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Discen

A stupid oil question

I know another Oil thread, but this one is different!...and dumb.

Anyways I just got my 919 3 weeks ago and I'm looking to do an oil change this weekend, My bike didn't come with the manual and I called the local Honda to see what oil the bike took, so I have that...problem is I forgot to ask how many liters/gallons of oil the bike takes, and of course now they are closed for the long weekend.

so now, for my amazing question, how many liters does the 919 take? it's an 04...not like that matters anyways.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Put in 3.8 US quarts (3.6L)...start it up and let it idle...shut it down...wait a couple minutes...hold the bike upright and check the level in the inspection window...add a little more oil if necessary.

post #3 of 29 Old 08-29-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Discen

alrighty, thanks for the quick response also!

post #4 of 29 Old 08-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Aquilifer

a little less is better than a little more.

and we ASSUME this will be WITH filter replacment...

post #5 of 29 Old 08-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
a little less is better than a little more.

and we ASSUME this will be WITH filter replacment...
+1

I've learned if you dump an even 4 U.S. qts. in it puts the level just over the full mark which, as Bucky points out, is not good. So now, I put in 3.5 qts. - start it up, run a minute or so, shut it off. Give it a couple of minutes then check the level and add a bit if necessary.

Perfect!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #6 of 29 Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Tirone

Right Buckey. I always try to leave the oil about 1/3 below the full mark to allow for fuel contamination which frequently causes the oil level to rise slightly over a few thousand miles. significant overfilling increases crank windage power loss and peak pulse pressure inside the engine, stressing various gaskets and seals. These effects are slight untill the oil level gets high enough to get very near the crank throws and counterweights creating an "oil storm" in there. Just guessing, I would say two quarts overfilled should do it. I once rode a yam YZF600R that had been filled up to the filler plug, enough to immerse the crank in oil. It felt very down on power. Only rode it two miles or so. Drained the excess oil and the totally oil-soaked air filter. Bike ran fine with no problems till it was sold on two years later.

post #7 of 29 Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Al

Whenever I do an oil change, the filter ALWAYS gets changed too. You don't really need any manual or advice (although it might help). You simply do as quoted above like Tom said.
It's usually better to get the engine warm so the oil flows real well and fast (mind you don't burn fingers etc). Undo sump (replace the sump plug washer too). Drain it,, change filter and tighten new oil filter by rubbing oil over the "o" ring seal and hand tightening only, quite tight but not Hercules stuff - OK. Fill it up until oil comes up to somewhere in the middle of the inspection window. OH,,, At this point I am assuming you have the bike on an axle stands or similar and NOT the side-stand,, to level the bike... Replace the filler cap and start the bike and let it run for a minute. Turn it off. Now top it up so there the level is somewhere near or just below the top marker in the inspection window. Restart and let run for a short while then stop. Check oil level,, which at this point my appear a little low but may take quite a few minutes to come back up to the level. If you overfilled, drain a little out but be careful you don't lose the lot...

One rule here...!!!

Over here we buy oil in 4 litre packs... If for some reason you tip the whole lot into the bike and it either doesn't show or looks low in the window, check your method or make sure you did the sump plug back up and the oil filter. Don't laugh, it happens...!!!

post #8 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 05:26 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Since this is the Stupid Oil question thread, what can you do if after reading this you DO put too much oil in? IS there a simple way to get some out, without draining the whole engine? I'm just asking for a friend of mine, (you don't know him) he lives in um, Canada! Yeah that's right! Canada!!

I'm such a newbie

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #9 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 05:40 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

he he he, funny stuff

post #10 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 05:41 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfilet300 View Post
Since this is the Stupid Oil question thread, what can you do if after reading this you DO put too much oil in? IS there a simple way to get some out, without draining the whole engine? I'm just asking for a friend of mine, (you don't know him) he lives in um, Canada! Yeah that's right! Canada!!

I'm such a newbie
You got to drain it by pulling the plug and trying to reinstall it while oil is coming out or find some way to get it back out through the fill hole. Use one of those baby nose snot suckers or a syringe with a tube on it. It's a whole lot easier to measure in the correct amount to start with.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

If it were my bike, and I'm not saying if it is...;.exactly how much damage would I... I mean it...be doing if was left at the higher level it until the next change. Which would be in another 7500 miles?
Would "my friend" (that is) only suffer some power loss?

Your's doesn't matter.
post #12 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I'd get it to the correct level, but I'm like that.

Some engine configs will push it out anyway, some just labor, others suffer other consequences. Also depends on how much is too much.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #13 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 07:07 AM
Aquilifer

Pull the oil filter off and put on another one.

Rich

post #14 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 07:13 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Tell "your friend" to use a syringe/tube.
Quick and easy.
post #15 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda Addict

Like Jim and Kristen, I also use a big syringe with a l long .125 diameter tube stuck on the end. Most handy device!

Went down to the nearby farm supply and got the biggest syringe they had. It's a big un' meant for vaccinating large livestock. Holds 60cc / 2oz. Works great. Used it a couple of times to remedy oil overfill when the 919 was new.

It also works great for measuring fork oil!

post #16 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Thank you.....I mean he said "thank you."

Your's doesn't matter.
post #17 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfilet300 View Post
exactly how much damage would I... I mean it...be doing if was left at the higher level it until the next change. Which would be in another 7500 miles?
Would "my friend" (that is) only suffer some power loss?
You aren't going 7500 miles between oil changes, are you? If so, the resulting damage factor/power loss is more of an issue than if your oil level is a little too high. Overfilling will, over time, cause excessive pressure on seals and more resistance on the crankshaft resulting in seal leaks and power loss.

If you want your 919 to have a long happy life, you should change the oil way more often than 7500 miles. I'd say, and most will agree, the oil change interval should be no more than 3000 miles. Can't remember what it is exactly but the interval recommended in the owners manual is ridiculously long.

Most motorcycle engines collect a lot of clutch debris since the transmission shares the same oil with the crankcase. Also, there is the issue of fuel contamination that has been discussed here on WT often.

I change my oil and filter at no more than every 2000 miles and sometimes less than that. Maybe this is a little anal but it will definitely result in longer engine life. I keep a close eye on the little oil window and when it starts looking fairly dirty it gets changed. Yeah, the maintenance costs are higher but I plan on keeping the 919 for a long time.

Just my $.02 about the situation.

post #18 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Owners manual says 8K....but its every 2K for me too so far...probably way too often, but I want it to last a looong time. Decided to switch back to dino oil instead of synthetic since I'm changing it so often. Its half the cost and actually seems to shift a lil better.

post #19 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I appreciate it. I just put in full synth almost 1000 miles ago, and as Maryland Mike notes the manual says to change at 8k so I figured with a better filter Mobil 1 and teh like I could go longer. Regardless, I have to suck out some.

Your's doesn't matter.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Milites Gregarius

i change oil about every 4000 miles

post #21 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda Addict

Oh damn. Just noticed that my post count is 666.

So, to counteract this evil milestone -

Totally understand that everyone has their preference and I'm not trying to be a smartass about it. Just know from 25 years of experience with motorcycle and ATV engines that one simple fact increases motor life.

Clean oil.

The longer you run the oil (regardless of the brand), the more $hit builds up in it and it's certainly not all collected by the filter. The older the grittyer an old racer used to tell me.

Peace out.

post #22 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Discen

wow I didn't think this would go to 2 pages lol

I always change the filter when I change the oil, and I'm very familar with the process to change oil on a bike...the 9-er isn't my first bike. however...thanks guys lol

post #23 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Overfill? - Use an oil fill pump for an outboard motor lower unit - use it backwards... pump the oil out of the crankcase.... syringes work - hard to say which is more messy...

post #24 of 29 Old 08-31-2008, 01:12 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Owners manual says 8K....but its every 2K for me too so far...probably way too often, but I want it to last a looong time. Decided to switch back to dino oil instead of synthetic since I'm changing it so often. Its half the cost and actually seems to shift a lil better.

I have always changed oil after about 2500 kms. Nowadays the oils are far better than when I first started riding, but I look at oil as being the blood of a bike and you can't have blood that's too clean, if you see what I mean. Oil and filter both together... Nice to know that others change their bikes' oil that regularly...

"probably way too often"... Naaa, just spot on in my opinion...

post #25 of 29 Old 08-31-2008, 01:23 AM
Al

Hahaha... Bros b4 *****

jalm...

I like it... I don't know too much about American politics but it seems to me that you guys had to make a choice of all choices this time around. From the coverage we got over here, it seems like there are more agendas than politics up for grabs this time around. I hope you guys get the leader you NEED rather than the one some people "want", as it will be felt all over the world... I think I may be on the same side as the average American here...

Enuff said anyways...

post #26 of 29 Old 08-31-2008, 06:33 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

as for me, im switching to Amsoil, the 25,000 mile oil, full syn, that and their filter they claim will protect the engine for a year, well, today starts that year, both the bike and my honda civic, the results will be posted.
before it starts, thanks for the concern/blessings, etc.

Bill

post #27 of 29 Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Al

God luck on the year long test.. I'd love to find and oil capable of it. I am a little scared of using full synthetic stuff in a wet clutch, but then again, I don't know just how good clutches are today, with those oils. When synthetics first started appearing, it was a golden rule not to use them in a bike with such a clutch... I've asked and asked over the years until I'm blue in the face, and I haven't yet got a common consensus with synth's... You get the YES's,, the I dunno's and the No WAY's...

post #28 of 29 Old 09-02-2008, 05:13 PM
CB900 Hornet

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Can't go wrong with Amsoil. I use it in all the motor vehicles in my family. Long service life and extreme protection. There are other premium oils like Repsol, Eneos, Elf, Agip...

post #29 of 29 Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Centurion

I've gotten in 4 full qts before, also some times it would not quite fit. Guess it depends on how long you let it drip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode