A Few Quick Questions On Mirrors - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

A Few Quick Questions On Mirrors

I'm considering 2 kinds of mirrors. The CRG Bar End Mirrors, the Rizoma Universal Radial Naked BS134B. My questions are concerning mounting and such. I can't find any clear info on what all extra I need to buy.

For instance, do the CRG Bar End Mirrors come with bar ends to replace my current ones? Do I need an adapter to make it work? And are they difficult to install if you don't have any experience with bikes? Also I noticed they had 2 kinds. The Hindsight and Blindsight? The only difference I could tell from the site is that one extends the other out further? Not real sure.

Same goes for the Rizoma's. Those look like they come with an adapter, and are they hard to get on right? Need any special tools?

Finally if someone could be so kind as to provide any direct links to what & where I can purchase these I would greatly appreciate it. Looking to buy immediately. I know a lot of this is probably DURRRR but I can accept being an idiot if it gets me some awesome new mirrors. Thanks so much!

2005 Honda 919
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

A few quick answers

Not trying to be ball buster, the answers for the CRG bar end mirrors are only a few mouse clicks away.

Helpful topics for new 919 owners There you will see a link to Mikes Bikes, after you get to my site click on the 919 page. Scroll down to the CRG mirrors.

post #3 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Hey Mike, maybe a good idea would be to get various pictures of different members that have changed out their stock mirrors for aftermarket, and host it as a slideshow or some other method?

We did something similiar for the Aprilia site, and it was very helpful when I was looking for alternatives.

post #4 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Not so Rookie Anymore

PJs Parts is a great place for the Rizomas. Just email them and they will hook you up with what-ever adapters you need. Great Custoemr Service. Here's a link for the Nakeds...

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
post #5 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

I can volunteer close-ups and angles of my CRGs with bar-end adapters, just let me know where to send them. I think it's a good idea to have FAQ threads (exhaust, mirrors, tires, pictures, etc.) and make them sticky. It's not obvious to some people they need to search right away, so making them sticky may help?

post #6 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Milites Gregarius

The rizoma's should be easy to install. Just make sure they have 10 mm posts, and are for naked bikes rather than faired bikes. I have rizoma circuits, with 8 mm posts, which do need an adapter--but I think that is unusual.

As for CRG's, you are running stock handlebars? You will need a bar end adapter from CRG.

post #7 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'm a Big fan of the CRG's - I bought the Bar End adapter to push the mirrors as far to the outside as possible. on the 800mm wide Pro-Tapers i can see pretty much the whole world behind me.

post #8 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Here's a less expensive alternative.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?item=MRX_MBM1_G

I have a set on my bike that I bought a few months ago. They are billet aluminum with a convex mirror. They are rock solid, excellent visability and I have no vibrations whatsoever even though my FMF 909 bars that I currently have on are buzzing my hands into absolute numbness....

Edit: mine are not black; but brushed silver

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #9 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Those do look nice - the CRG's are almost twice as expensive - unless you can get them at cost

post #10 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I use the same Motrax units dadogs has, but mine ARE black. I'm not too impressed by the quality, but visibility is good and Cycle Gear has superb customer service.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #11 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 04:13 PM

I also have the Motrax mirrors from Cyclegear. I have no complaints about them - visibility is good and NO vibration at all. They came with bar-end adapters for standard bars, and for the thicker walled aluminum bars.

post #12 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Oooh I do like those Dadogs, unfortuantely the site you linked is out of stock both black and silver. And worse, cycle gear has apparently been out of stock of those for a while. What's worse the Motrax site lists only Cycle Gear as a place to get them

Would I need to buy anything in addition to those? And would those just replace my current bar ends? Any special tools necessary?

Also do the bar end mirrors help cut down on vibrations like normal bar ends do?

Oh and I found these http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...d_Mirrors.html

But the smallest they have is 12mm, but I need 10mm right? Or is that just the mirror? I'd love to buy these if they can fit.

2005 Honda 919
post #13 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Black Oberon Street Fighter Bar End Mirrors for Renthal Handlebars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vastlee View Post
Oooh I do like those Dadogs, unfortuantely the site you linked is out of stock both black and silver. And worse, cycle gear has apparently been out of stock of those for a while. What's worse the Motrax site lists only Cycle Gear as a place to get them

Would I need to buy anything in addition to those? And would those just replace my current bar ends? Any special tools necessary?

Also do the bar end mirrors help cut down on vibrations like normal bar ends do?

But the smallest they have is 12mm, but I need 10mm right? Or is that just the mirror? I'd love to buy these if they can fit.

I have a black set with the 14mm insert (as recommended by Oberon for Renthal handlebars) for sale:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=7099

post #14 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Aquilifer

i look over my shoulder. works great ! no instructions normally required. then again, i blip my throttle for a horn, put more weight on the pegs for rear suspension, and use vague head gestures to signal a turn or lane change.

post #15 of 38 Old 07-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
i look over my shoulder. works great ! no instructions normally required. then again, i blip my throttle for a horn, put more weight on the pegs for rear suspension, and use vague head gestures to signal a turn or lane change.
I use hand signals,like " "

post #16 of 38 Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Ebay Mirrors

I ordered a set of these and like them. I took out the expander and just clamped them on to my barends. I had to space the throttle side a little w/ some small washers so it wouldn't stick. I think the metal goes well with that of the 9er

post #17 of 38 Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Sorry

Forgot to put in the link, here it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...39432889QQrdZ1

post #18 of 38 Old 07-18-2007, 10:32 PM
You Better Call Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I'm considering 2 kinds of mirrors. The CRG Bar End Mirrors, the Rizoma Universal Radial Naked BS134B. My questions are concerning mounting and such. I can't find any clear info on what all extra I need to buy.

For instance, do the CRG Bar End Mirrors come with bar ends to replace my current ones? Do I need an adapter to make it work? And are they difficult to install if you don't have any experience with bikes? Also I noticed they had 2 kinds. The Hindsight and Blindsight? The only difference I could tell from the site is that one extends the other out further? Not real sure.

Same goes for the Rizoma's. Those look like they come with an adapter, and are they hard to get on right? Need any special tools?

Finally if someone could be so kind as to provide any direct links to what & where I can purchase these I would greatly appreciate it. Looking to buy immediately. I know a lot of this is probably DURRRR but I can accept being an idiot if it gets me some awesome new mirrors. Thanks so much!
One of the versions of the CRG mirrors folds in for easy storage/tight spaces. I tried installing the CRG mirrors on stock bars but the vibes were terrible...

post #19 of 38 Old 07-19-2007, 07:09 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert260 View Post
Forgot to put in the link, here it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...39432889QQrdZ1
I ordered a set of these in black, nicely made, very solid metal, convex glass, german mirrors. I decided that I didn't like the bar end style mirror after I received them though, don't like looking down and taking my eyes away from the road, so I have Radial Nakeds on the way.

I'd sell this pair of bar ends cheap though if anyone is interested, paid $69.05 with shipping, still brand new and in the original package, sell for $50 w free shipping. They are this model:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1967&rd=1&rd=1

post #20 of 38 Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Sorry Vastlee, I just saw this. Yeah I believe CycleGear has the only distribution for the Motrax mirrors. I just happend to find mine in stock at the new store that opened up near me. If you have one locally try stopping in to see if they have any.

Secondly you don't need any special tools at all but I would strongly advise not replacing your bar ends with judt the mirrors if you're runnning the stock steel bars, the vibrations are not of the Beach Boy type "Good Vibrations".

post #21 of 38 Old 07-19-2007, 09:23 AM

I also have the Motrax units. I had a problem with the first pair vibrating, resulting in lost glass and screws. I siliconed the lenses into place and used threadlocker on all screws - no problems after a year.

Be careful with the cops if you use these units. The small convex lens doesn't provide a good distance view to the rear. They can be pretty close behind you and thier image in the mirror is really small.

post #22 of 38 Old 07-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by scope View Post
I also have the Motrax units. I had a problem with the first pair vibrating, resulting in lost glass and screws. I siliconed the lenses into place and used threadlocker on all screws - no problems after a year.

Be careful with the cops if you use these units. The small convex lens doesn't provide a good distance view to the rear. They can be pretty close behind you and thier image in the mirror is really small.
I have to agree with that as well......My wife was following me and I kept wondering why she was lagging soooo far behind when in reality she wasn't. I figured that was just a trade off when having the small convex mirrors. Anyone with the CRG's notice the same?

post #23 of 38 Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

yes the CRG's put everything pretty far back also... you get used to it.

post #24 of 38 Old 07-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

CRG lane splitter mounted on Renthal bar ends.
They work flawlessly.

Attachment 3631

post #25 of 38 Old 07-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Milites Gregarius

9nineteen, 10 mm is the measurement for mirrors that screw into the stock mirror mounts. For barend mirrors the measurement is completely different, and significantly larger. If you need that measurement (for stock bars), post again and I'll measure.

post #26 of 38 Old 07-20-2007, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well I ended up buying these:
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/my...on&collection=

More because I'm impulsive and impatient and yeah I'll probably end up getting burnt, but what are ya gonna do.

My question though is the only size listed for these at 17mm. I couldn't find what size was directly needed for the stock handlebars. Can anyone confirm this is/not the right size?

Oh and finally... Yes I have had terrible luck with the vibrations. My first set of bar ends fell out. I chalked it up to it not being tight enough, got me a new pair, and they did too. Third pair I used a dab of lock tight and they have been fine. I also had the bolt that was holding the screw in my clutch come off. That was scary cause it being under I didn't notice until I squeezed my clutch and looked down at the screw and it was almost coming out. Yikes.

2005 Honda 919
post #27 of 38 Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

ID of the stock bars are 17 mm. I assume those mirror inserts are smaller and will expand to 17 mm. Might want to contact the vendor just to be sure.

post #28 of 38 Old 07-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

The Oberon 17mm will work on the OEM bar. You'll love your Oberon Streetfighter mirrors. I get numerous compliments on their clean design. All the aluminum pieces are beautifully machined. You can't beat the price for the quality. Take your time setting them up and once they're set up to your liking, make sure to use LocTite. You DON'T want to lose these babies!

Quote:
Well I ended up buying these:
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/my...on&collection=

More because I'm impulsive and impatient and yeah I'll probably end up getting burnt, but what are ya gonna do.

My question though is the only size listed for these at 17mm. I couldn't find what size was directly needed for the stock handlebars. Can anyone confirm this is/not the right size?

Oh and finally... Yes I have had terrible luck with the vibrations. My first set of bar ends fell out. I chalked it up to it not being tight enough, got me a new pair, and they did too. Third pair I used a dab of lock tight and they have been fine. I also had the bolt that was holding the screw in my clutch come off. That was scary cause it being under I didn't notice until I squeezed my clutch and looked down at the screw and it was almost coming out. Yikes.

post #29 of 38 Old 07-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

9nineteen, what kind of grips are those in the pics?

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #30 of 38 Old 07-20-2007, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Weird, all you guys say they are fine yet I just got this from the manufacturer

Quote:
Hi

bad news im afraid.
due to the inside of the bars having rubber mounting, the mirror would not fix and the collet would not fit.

you will either need to change your bars or remove the whole weight inside the bars. this will leave you with 7/8" hole where you could fix the mirror straight on using the 7/8 , 19mm collet.

hope this helps

many thanks

shaun rayment

Sales
??? Conflicting info, please advise.

2005 Honda 919
post #31 of 38 Old 07-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Weird, all you guys say they are fine yet I just got this from the manufacturer

??? Conflicting info, please advise.

You simply need to remove the OEM insert pieces. But, the 19mm collet becomes an issue. Shaun at Oberon would be the one to take advise on fitment. Seems like my fitment source might not reliable. Shaun is the person who helped me out fit my Renthals.

Refer to this diagram:

post #32 of 38 Old 07-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
9nineteen, what kind of grips are those in the pics?
They are Renthal Road Racing/Hard Composition. I like the total feel with the Alpinestars GP Pro Gloves.

post #33 of 38 Old 07-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

9nineteen, what kind of turn signals do you have up front? Do they have orange led's in em? I think I might move my Rizoma's to the back and get those.

2 > 4
post #34 of 38 Old 07-20-2007, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'm lost, going to contact the vendor and have them hold of on my order I spose.

2005 Honda 919
post #35 of 38 Old 07-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Hornet Grandpa!

9ninteen, is the price on vastlee's link ($53) for both sides or just one?

post #36 of 38 Old 07-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post
9nineteen, what kind of turn signals do you have up front? Do they have orange led's in em? I think I might move my Rizoma's to the back and get those.
They are generic labeled clear flushmount LEDs designed for the 03-06 600RR. They are exactly like the Hot Bodies flushmount LEDs I had on my '05 600RR Formula Extreme replica, the exception being that the ones on my 919 are half the cost (Ebay)!! I tinted the lens smoke color using spray on window tint and clearcoating. And like the Clear Alternative smoke tail light lens, the light still shows amber. It's a very clean set up.

Here's a set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flush...spagenameZWDVW

post #37 of 38 Old 07-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
9ninteen, is the price on vastlee's link ($53) for both sides or just one?
The price is for single mirror set up. Their price is the best I've seen. Normal retail is between $60 and $80 each. As I mentioned, the quality is beautiful. The pieces aren't cast aluminum but rather machined aluminum. The silver or black finish is second to none.

post #38 of 38 Old 07-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
I'm lost, going to contact the vendor and have them hold of on my order I spose.
Michael,

Can't Moto Wheels get you the 19mm collets?? If they carry only one size, they should be carrying the collet size for the common 7/8s handlebars. Hmmmm. Or, you may consider ordering directly fron Oberon. They're definitely worth the wait. You'll get them in week from England.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode