A close call - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Need I say more?

A close call

I left my house at 7:45 am Saturday morning to meet my riding buddies downtown. We were going to have breakfast then travel the 90 miles to tour the Jack Daniels plant in Lynchburg Tennessee. As i was leaving the house my neighbors new german shepard came charging out to greet me.

Two days prior he came out the same way and tried to bite my leg. So I thought I was ready for him, I was going to give him a friendly kick in the chops. To my surprise he charged right past my waiting leg and smack into my front tire! I was going about 25 to 30 mph. I hit him square behind the shoulder. My bars were yanked violently to the left, but I managed to stay up.

The dog let out a yelp and was tossed into the ditch, he seemed relatively unharmed. He was in his fenced in area when I got home. Stupid people, should keep there dogs in their yards. No damage to me or the bike, but I didn't need coffee at breakfast.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Wow. Nice you stayed up. Did it knock the wheel weight off or is that past markings?

I'm a dog owner, but mine is behind an invisible fence. I agree, they're dangerous if left roaming. Years ago a guy taught me a little trick about oncoming dogs after I had the same thing happen. If you spot them coming slow down. They'll tighten their approach angle. At that point you can accelerate away.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Honda Addict

BWAHAHAHA!!! That picture is priceless!!

919 - 1
German Shepherd - 0

Glad you kept it in control and my condolences for having to deal with an unruly neighbor dog. Been down that road myself.

Maybe the damn thing will remember that those 2 wheeled mechanical things bite back - HARD!!!!!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #4 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Your threads are showing! Thanks for sharing your amazing save! You are obviously a very skilled rider! Jim's technique usually works great with one dog! But when there are two animals teaming, one each side of the road...get your weight back and pray.

post #5 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Need I say more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Wow. Nice you stayed up. Did it knock the wheel weight off or is that past markings?

If you spot them coming slow down. They'll tighten their approach angle. At that point you can accelerate away.
I just got new pilot roads, those are past markings.

Good advice on slowing down then accelerating!

post #6 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Glad you held it together and I hope that dog remembers and tells all his buds. They taught the varying speed technique in the MSF I took.

post #7 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Wow...close call indeed. I'm a multiple dog owner myself but the only dog I have that would chase anything is our Jack Russel. We keep him at bay though. The others are a French Bulldog and a Lab Retreiver mix (the best dog I've ever owned...doen't run off anywhere, never needs a leash) so we have a busy house hold in the terms of 4 legged runts

The hair stuck in the wheel is priceless...Glad you didn't go down and hopefully the dog learned a lesson

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #8 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

also being a multiple dog owner... my rottweilers don't chase nothing... that would mean they had to move... sugar sleeps 20~ hours a day....

that poor sheppard is at home know rethinking his strategy.. beware for tack strips or pieces of rope he has strung across the street at neck level...

thats why i don't own a intelligent dog... then they look at ya all judgemental and stuff...

(glad you and the bike are ok.... new underwear notwithstanding )

post #9 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 11:22 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

glad you and the bike made it out alright. I have seen a friend kick an armidillo in the head while riding.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #10 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Great pic! Good job on keeping control.

Spoiler:

post #11 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 12:14 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I had a dog run up to me while riding my dirt bike several years ago. After it bit me, it ran in front of me. I just opener her up. The front barely touched the dog as it was coming off the ground. The rear pretty well skinned it on one side. Animal control came and caught the dog. It was bleeding pretty good but they found out it didn't have rabies. The owners actually were mad at me for running it over on our own property!

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 12:14 PM
no max no more

glad your ok im interested to see of the dog learned his lesson

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #13 of 19 Old 04-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Attitude is Everything

Glad you're OK and didn't go down. Also nice to hear the offending dog is ok also. I haven't had a run in with an animal yet and hope it's none too soon.

Do or Do Not... There is No Try.

2007 919...Delkevic Stubbies, Carbonfiber Hondaline Wind Screen, Integrated Blinker Mirrors, Brake Light Modulator, Headlight Modulator(soon)
post #14 of 19 Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 AM
CB900

Good save Wildwest!!!!

Reminds of about 6 weeks ago the local tyre biter up the road had a go at 4:30 am on my way to work. I kicked him doing roughly 60 kays (which nearly took my leg off). The next day the owner came around asking if I'd seen their dog. I told him he copped a size 10 in the guts, and he probably crawled off and died somewhere.... Thats the 2nd dog they have lost. The first one bit the front tyre of a truck I was driving and his head went under. You'd think they'd keep them fenced in now.
Funny thing, their latest pup is already roaming.............

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #15 of 19 Old 04-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Excellent save Wildwest.
Hope the pet owners wakeup, but probably won't. In a week it'll be out again patroling the neighborhood.

post #16 of 19 Old 04-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Immune

Nice pic and a nice save!

Took my first long ride on the new 919 yesterday (it was a beautiful day in eastern PA). A friend was ahead of me on his Ducati when what looked like a poodle on a ground stake / leash setup - the type that would let the dog run in a circle - in a front yard took a run at him. The dog didn't run straight over the stake in a way that would suddenly have the leash come to a tight violent end - it more came from the side which gradually tightened the slack in the leash and sent the fluffy white mutt barrel-rolling 1/4 around the circumfrance of the circle. We had a good laugh at the next red light we stopped at.

post #17 of 19 Old 04-06-2009, 08:11 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If impact in inevitable, and you have time, hit the throttle. You're going to need all the stability as possible. Whatever you do, don't touch the front brake before, or while running over a critter. A friend of mine wiped out a big ol gen 1 FZ when the front brake locked up while braking over a rabbit.

Dogs are natural hunters and good judges of speed and distance. Nothing running for it's ife would ever slow up. Not natural. That's why the "slow down and speed up "tactic works well. It confuses them.

post #18 of 19 Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

nice kick... you aussies are natural football strikers eh??

post #19 of 19 Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

The "slow-down/speed-up"technique works great on dogs, in-laws, bill collectors, and approaching missionaries.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode