a bit too much oil.. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

a bit too much oil..

hello, i'm new to this forum and am extremely appreciative for the support for this bike. i absolutely love the 03 honda 919. my purchase was recent but the bike has 55k miles on it. my question is as follows:

how bad is it for my bike if ive recently changed the motor oil using mobil1 racing 4t 10w40 full synthetic and accidentally overfilled by about a half quart? i quickly realized my mistake and drained it to a much more suitable amount before ever riding it (however, i did run it in place for several minutes to check the oil after warmed up)...and i say "much more suitable amount" because i have no way to actually measure how level the bike is while on the center stand other than eye balling it from a distance from about 15 ft from the back of the bike. i used shims to fix the bikes level when necessary.

also: if, by my measurement (which cant be too far off level), the bike level was a tad bit off and the bike had a little too much oil does the bike get rid of the manageable excess through an overflow and drain into the crankcase breather or end up draining somewhere near the air filter (filter has oil spots on it)? im asking because ive googled several sites and this is what ive gathered..either it ends up in the crankcase breather or draining somewhere need the air filter but it depends on certain bikes i suppose.

i greatly appreciate any help on the subject...im just a nervous wreck with my new investment. some sites say too much oil is really bad and others say its not too bad a thing.

ps: oil seeps out of the right side of the cylinder head cover gasket but at an extremely slow rate. maybe a drop or two a day while riding but it never ends up on the floor. it just lines the crevices of the gasket on the right side or, at worst, slowly makes its way toward the center of the engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Pilus Posterior

Welcome to the site.
No problems with what you did - maybe overfill but you corrected it before putting any stress on the engine, so rest easy tonight, all is fine.

As far as measuring goes - DON'T do it on the stand - the bike needs to be on both wheels and upright. Sit on the bike keeping it level and have someone check the sight glass - or vice versa. If no one is available grab a wall mirror and prop it up against a wall or bench at ground level on a slight backward angle and you will be able to sit on the bike, align the oil window so you can see it in the mirror and you will be able to clearly see the level.

Ideally check the oil when warm and it should not be above the upper sight glass line or below the lower one. Just a bit below the upper line appears to be the common mark these engines self manage too!

Good shit that full synth Mobil - I'm running that too.

That upper weep sounds like nothing more than the cam cover gasket getting old or needing a tighten - probably the first due to milage.

Post a pic of your bike too.

post #3 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

still stock since the previous owner was an older gentleman but i plan on changing that...want it to look more like the hagen 919 on the street fighter inc website but with the buell m2 bug screen. the back tire in the photo i psted is bad due to excessive burnouts while on the center stand gonna have it changed with a diablo rosso tomorrow..

post #4 of 19 Old 03-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Pilus Posterior

Cool - black ones are best!

Did I read that correctly - you did burnouts on the centre stand ..............

post #5 of 19 Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

lmao..not me. my dad has having his fun sitting on the bike with the center stand hold the front brake and leaning back just enough to make the tire squeal like hell. the tire was already bad (showing the exposed inner thread in certain spots) but it now has a ring of exposed threading around the entire tire. he hadnt been on a sport bike since his younger years. now hes a harley cruiser.

post #6 of 19 Old 03-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBAOxX View Post
now hes a harley cruiser.

Yep, you can't choose ya family .............

post #7 of 19 Old 03-09-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

ok so i checked the oil while sitting on it...you really can feel its center of gravity (especially with the new rear tire). the oil level is just barely above the upper level mark on the site glass...that shouldnt hurt anything right? or can it?

post #8 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
ok so i checked the oil while sitting on it...you really can feel its center of gravity (especially with the new rear tire). the oil level is just barely above the upper level mark on the site glass...that shouldnt hurt anything right? or can it?
No, man- you're good. Relax!

post #9 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 09:48 AM
The Cripple

good job buddy, you just shit-canned it. i'll save you the headache though, ship it to me and i'll pay you the cost of shipping so you dont have to deal with it anymore and focus on finding a new bike. just dont put so much oil in that one too alright?

post #10 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

you sure its not an inconvenience for you? whats your address? id need it to give you a shipping quote but im almost certain itll cost you at least 3500 or so anywhere in the us. tell ya what. send the money to my paypal account and ill send you any leftover from shipping :b

post #11 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 10:39 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
you sure its not an inconvenience for you? whats your address? id need it to give you a shipping quote but im almost certain itll cost you at least 3500 or so anywhere in the us. tell ya what. send the money to my paypal account and ill send you any leftover from shipping :b
alright, I'll explain: I believe Pvster was joking. He really had no intentions to purchase your motorcycle. Also $3500 shipping cost is way too much.
Welcome to the forum. What is your name?

post #12 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
alright, I'll explain: I believe Pvster was joking. He really had no intentions to purchase your motorcycle. Also $3500 shipping cost is way too much.
Welcome to the forum. What is your name?
and he was kidding back, clearly. hence the shipping cost being so "high". i like this guy he'll get along great here.

welcome to the forum, we'll gladly help you with your 9ner... by helping you spend your money on it that is

post #13 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
and he was kidding back, clearly. hence the shipping cost being so "high". i like this guy he'll get along great here.

welcome to the forum, we'll gladly help you with your 9ner... by helping you spend your money on it that is
I was kidding about you kidding and now you are kidding about liking this guy.
***king wrristtwisters

post #14 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Lmfao...yeah of course I understood pvsters and zaqs jokes. I'll like it here at this forum. Next time were all in the mood we should make a thing of it..I'll bring the salsa and chips. Somebody else can bring the beer.

post #15 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 11:53 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
I was kidding about you kidding and now you are kidding about liking this guy.
***king wrristtwisters
and ***k you too

Quote:
Lmfao...yeah of course I understood pvsters and zaqs jokes. I'll like it here at this forum. Next time were all in the mood we should make a thing of it..I'll bring the salsa and chips. Somebody else can bring the beer.
you cheap bastard, i take back my previous statement

post #16 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

It's some badass salsa..made with real bits of panther.

post #17 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
It's some badass salsa..made with real bits of panther.
I like turtles. Not panthers.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #18 of 19 Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

little fluffy turtles...awwwee

post #19 of 19 Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Tirone

man thats messed up!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode